Menstrual Pads Hurt the Environment

squinney

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:44 pm
I could never fathom the idea of the tampons without applicators, let alone this!

Gross, is right!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:46 pm
Yeah, I hear ya. I don't even do tampons anymore.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:47 pm
uh girls.... can we talk about something else?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:50 pm
Ah, another man bumbled into this one. Let us bumble back out with all due aclarity.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:57 pm
Who brainwashed you guys - Proctor & Gamble???

About 10 years ago I got an serious infection from using tampons. My doctor suggested I use the Keeper. I love it! Yes, you have to touch yourself. Yes, you see your own blood. However, it has no odor unlike using tampons with the its rotting bacteria smell. If you get blood on anything it is because you do not know the proper way to remove it. It really easy to use once you get used to it.

In many countries tampons are too expensive, just unavailable or the topice is taboo. I have a girlfriend who worked with the Peace Corps in rural India - all the women were using rags. She ordered the whole village Keepers. They loved them. I think if a village of poor, uneducated women can figure them out - so can an American. Homeless women in NYC are issued a variation of the Keeper (I think Diva cup donates them) so they do not have to buy tampons.

I have not bought a tampon for almost 10 years. On my one heavy day I also might use a pad. I think I go through a small box of pads in a year. I know many women who use these cups without a problem. I think pharmaceutical companies would love your posts, their commericals are working.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:59 pm
Greenie - touche!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:08 pm
thanks for the info.. but no thanks! :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:14 pm
Come on Kiwi (or any other woman here) I challenge you - I even dare you - to try and see what you think. The companies are good on their word about the money back guarantee. Some women who have had children find they do not fit properly, but the majority of women have no problem.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:20 pm
Frankly, and maybe this is too much info for the guys peeking in here, I don't even like to use tampons. They aren't comfortable and I think they're pretty gross. I'm a pad girl, unless I absolutely have to use a tampon.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:33 pm
Snoopy men deserve the details here. I always wondered if it was men who invented the idea that women are "dirty" when they have their period or if it was women. Anyone read "The Red Tent"? - it's the Jewish tradition of isolating women from society when they are menstruating.

I mostly know Jewish traditions - A young girl is slapped (hard) by her mother or grandmother the first time she has her period. It is to remind her of the sins of Eve and now that she is a woman she must not repeat them. Orthodox Men do not sleep with women during their period and the women must mikva (a special cleansing bath) after their periods before returning to their marriage bed. A passage in the Talmud refers to women as the dirtiest of creatures when they bleed.

On a farming forum I go to, one guy mentioned how he never lets his wife into his vegetable garden when she menstruating - he thinks it kills his tomato plants - yes, he was flammed by the women for that piece of sharing.

I think if men had periods and could actually bleed for days without dying it would be considered a miracle to be worshipped. They would walk around with T-Shirts saying "Kiss Me, It's My Time Of the Month".
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:39 pm
a man prolly made it
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:52 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I think if men had periods and could actually bleed for days without dying it would be considered a miracle to be worshipped. They would walk around with T-Shirts saying "Kiss Me, It's My Time Of the Month".

Gloria Steinem's version of this:

http://www.haverford.edu/psych/ddavis/p109g/steinem.menstruate.html
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:56 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Snoopy men deserve the details here. I always wondered if it was men who invented the idea that women are "dirty" when they have their period or if it was women. Anyone read "The Red Tent"? - it's the Jewish tradition of isolating women from society when they are menstruating.

That must be an American phenomena, as most European men don't
object to being intimate while their wives/girlfriends are menstruating.

Actually, in Europe we kind of celebrate the first menstruation of
a girl. My mother baked me a cake and made a special affair out of
it, as far as I remember.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:22 pm
Um, I did the celebration thing for my daughter. Thought I was weird or something.

Can't imagine slapping her for it!

I don't think I'm dirty or unclean at that time. Just would rather not have to handle it. I'm the same way about blowing my nose.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:28 pm
Ms. Steinem says it best.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:43 pm
Anyone familiar with the Kathy Najimy & Mo Gaffney "Parrallel Lives" performance?

I loved their bit about if it were a man...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 07:12 am
Exactly Green Witch.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 07:23 am
Last month in the store, I was tempted to try the cup thingy. In theory, it sounds pretty cool. Wear it all day, no stinky pads, no tampons to change.... but then Ithought...how do you get it out without making an incredible mess? I moved right down the aisle to the tampons.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 07:26 am
That is the grossest product ever!!!!!

Ive often wondered how women from yesteryear used to deal with periods!!
In comparison we have it quite easy but that cup thing is a step too far into the future.Shudder!!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 07:38 am
Tho it could be used as an egg cup or a hat for a mouse when its not in use.
0 Replies