How do you curb your cat’s behavior?

snood

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 01:58 am
Okay, I’ve had my two guys Merl and Theo for just over a year now. They are a comfort and joy about 97% of the time.

That 3% is the reason for my question here.

I don’t know how to stop them from doing certain behaviors that are anywhere from just mildly obnoxious to genuinely disruptive.

The mild stuff is their love for knocking **** over. All cats I’ve known have done some like this, and it’s not a big deal. They insist on waiting till I’m not around then climbing up and knocking down anything that’s not fixed in place . Condiments, office supplies, but also larger things like cereal boxes, plates, silverware, and so forth.

The worst thing is Merlin keeps wrestling their water fountain over, and spilling the contents. It holds like 3 cups, so it can make a big wet mess when he does it.

I’ve researched a little about deterrence. The frustrating thing is, there is a lot about what NOT to do. Don’t spank, don’t scream, don’t spray em with water. But how then, to stop them?
I think they know what they’re doing is wrong, b/c they won’t do it when I’m obviously watching.

So we do this dance where they wait until the coast is clear then do their domestic terrorism.

I bought the substantial water fountain because it was explained to me that the reason they tip over their water dish was because the water wasn’t fresh or flowing enough. So now they tip over the fountain even when it’s weighted down and barricaded.

How do you curb cat mischief? Or is the right attitude just enjoy the 97%, and grin and bear the rest?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 5,253 • Replies: 23

snood

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 02:43 am
Merl and Theo

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/Cutachogie/FullSizeRender_uP3xabw2sD3EyDqBysGK4X.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/Cutachogie/IMG_0609.HEIC
oralloy

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 03:04 am
@snood,
They're beautiful.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 03:05 am
@snood,
I have the opposite problem. I have one that knocks stuff over only when I am in his presence (and not paying attention to him). The only thing that works is for me to drop whatever I am doing and pay attention to him for awhile.

He also will not drink static water, but insists on drinking directly from the kitchen sink faucet (that I temporarily turn on at a trickle whenever he indicates that he wants a drink).

I can't think of any solutions to your specific problem besides more substantial efforts to root the fountain in place, or to go back to a water bowl that does not create as much of a mess when spilled.

Perhaps they are doing it because they are bored and could use additional distractions. But they will get bored with distractions quickly enough and will always want to move on to something new.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 03:54 am
@snood,
Stunning pair of voids there!

I agree with oralloy (gee, I don't think I've ever typed that before!) and recommend beefing up the water source to anchor it more securely. The recommended action for stopping behavior as it's occurring is to pick up the cat firmly and bring him somewhere else, another room perhaps, with a toy or something else to absorb his attention. Admittedly, I seldom do this. I clap my hands and say "get off" and they've become pretty responsive to this command. The other thing is finding places to put boxes and objects that are vulnerable, – stands, trays, and bins that keep things from rolling off counters or getting knocked onto floors. But it's a constant battle. The thing I'm noticing – and I got my two about a year ago so they're probably a similar age to yours – is that as they mature they're starting to abandon some of the old krazy kitten behavior. It's possible that they'll "grow out of it". Sorry that I can't give you something more definitive but, if it helps, remember you're not alone!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 04:20 am
Ragman wrote:

Gee, Snood, they look just a fine pair of bookends to me! What wrong can they do?

Seriously though , the suggestions from others about placing some distractions nearby or boxes that they must pry the lid off to get a high-value treat might work well. Of course using a catnip ball inside a box might be great entertainment value.

I also tried a spray bottle to discourage the more troublesome behavior. However, it’s been advised if you do this make sure they don’t see you squirting it. They will get the idea that this bad behavior seems to cause it to rain on them . If they see you do it, they see it a fear -induced happening. You don’t want that as it works out poorly. A light squirt from around a corner can do the trick.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 04:23 am
Good, useful advice from all. Even Oralloy (whouda thunk?)!!

Thanks! I will try to incorporate some of this good stuff.

Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 04:28 am
@snood,
They want attention and some stimulation. It may require some creative planning. Try Treat balls (sort of a plastic stretch rubber mushroom in which you place high value treat like chicken or kibble inside. They’ll spend an hour being enrapt with acquiring whatever is in there. They can just get their paw in and fish the treat out but it takes awhile.
snood

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 04:30 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

They want attention and some stimulation. It may require some creative planning. Try Treat balls (sort of a plastic stretch rubber mushroom in which you place high value treat like chicken or kibble inside. They’ll spend an hour being enrapt with acquiring whatever is in there.

Definitely on the next trip to the pet store/aisle.
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 04:32 am
@snood,
Let me know if you have any trouble finding it.

I have a 3 yr old Cockapoo with some similar behavior dragging in a branch or a stone or leave. I would either bribe her with a food exchange ( drop the rock and you get the treat or some other distraction of to the side and swipe it away when she drops it in favor of the treat . Sometimes it works then others not so much … loss of fingers.
snood

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 04:39 am
@Ragman,
If the regular stores fail, I can usually get anything I’m looking for on Chewy.com

Have you used it? They’re great.
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 04:41 am
@snood,
I’ve been using Chewy.com for 5 years . It might even be them where we got this mushroom shaped ball .
snood

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 04:58 am
@Ragman,
😁👍🏾
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 05:05 am
@snood,
Found it it on Chewy. Com . Busy buddy magic mushroom treat holderr. I know it works with 13 lb dog and I can’t imagine that cat would not love it too. Both at same time.
hightor

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 05:40 am
@snood,
I like to make challenges and puzzles for them, using cardboard boxes, paper towel tubes, wine corks – all things that can be discarded once the novelty wears off. I buy these cheap little colored springs from Chewy and they love the stupid things. I'll put one in a cardboard box and they'll chew the box apart to get at it. Later on I'll find it hidden in my shoe!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 05:52 am
All the cats I've had have preferred rainwater to tap.

So much so, that once after I had filled up his bowl with fresh water I then went to water some seedlings in a seedtray.

The soil had turned a bit green, but I'd got three seedlings OK.

Half way through watering I heard a lapping sound, and there Vic was lapping at the green water at the bottom of the seedtray.

I don't know what to suggest. Vic and Bob were outside cats, in the Summer you would only see them at mealtimes.

My son's cat, Muffie, is more indoorsy, but goes out a lot, and her water bowl only needs topping up in the Summer.

Like Vic and Bob she prefers drinking from puddles.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 06:35 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Found it it on Chewy. Com . Busy buddy magic mushroom treat holderr. I know it works with 13 lb dog and I can’t imagine that cat would not love it too. Both at same time.

I bought a treat holder, but it’s ball-shaped. Should get it w/in 48 hrs.
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 07:11 am
@snood,
Cool. Their delivery is pretty good. Eventually it may take some trial and error or you might get lucky right away.As long as the have to struggle with it to get at it you should be good.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 07:27 am
Crazy solution maybe but our cat that liked to drink from the tap took to a gerbil bottle. Since we are on a well we did not want to leave a tap dripping for any length of time.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 02:55 pm
I don't know if this will work, but when I moved in with hubby, his cat still scratched the sofa. I read that they hate tinfoil, so I covered the lower half of the sofa with that and he stopped. Also, I bought a spray called "Scratch Off" of some such thing, and that also worked. Perhaps if you sprayed the fountain with that stuff?