Queen Elizabeth has died at the age of 96.

Walter Hinteler

Mon 12 Sep, 2022 07:14 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
George I was living in Germany when he became king, and only visited Britain occasionally afterwards.
He's buried in the "Welfenmausoleum im Berggarten" in Hannover. (Buried firstly in the Chapel of the Leine Schloss in Hannover. In 1957 his remains were translated to the Welfs Herrenhausen Mausoleum in Hannover. His consort Sophia Dorothea is buried in the town church in Celle.)
izzythepush

Mon 12 Sep, 2022 07:21 am
@Lash,
George I was the king who set off the Jacobite rebellions with Bonnie Prince Charlie, his son, the Duke of Cumberland, (later George II) defeated him at the Battle of Culloden in 1746.

This battle is noted for two things, it is the last battle fought on British soil, and its commander is the last British monarch to lead his troops into battle, although he did that earlier, at the Battle of Dettingen in 1743.

George II had a pronounced German accent and was regarded by many as foreign. His son George III was popularly known as the English king because he had an English accent.

This may be apocryphal, but I heard he had problems pronouncing the word god, and said gad.

And thst is what popularised the phrase By gad.

Like I said, it's probably apocryphal, so I wouldn't swear on it.

Btw, Bonnie Prince Charle's first language was French.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 12 Sep, 2022 07:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
All of which made Robert Walpole very happy.

He was pretty much able to run the country with any Royal oversight.

Bob's your uncle.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 12 Sep, 2022 09:34 am
Burial ceremonies continue until the final ceremony Monday the 19th.

As the coffin moved through the streets of Edinburgh, Andrew was called out and heckled by a Scottish man. The crowd and newscasters attempted to drown out his comments.

One can imagine.

All of her children were walking behind the coffin.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-andrew-queen-coffin-edinburgh-b2165473.html?amp
Walter Hinteler

Mon 12 Sep, 2022 09:58 am
@Lash,
The burial will be on the 19th.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 12 Sep, 2022 10:01 am
@Lash,
A man was arrested in Oxford for shouting out, "Who elected him?" during the reading of the royal proclamation.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 12 Sep, 2022 10:26 am
The Stone of Scone, or the Stone of Destiny will return to London for the coronation of Charles.

This stone had been used to crown Scottish kings for centuries until it was seized by Edward I in 1296.

It has featured in the coronation of every British monarch since, and was only returned to Scotland in 1996.
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 12 Sep, 2022 01:44 pm
Interesting story

THE SHORT, UNHAPPY LIFE OF ELIZABETH WINDSOR
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 13 Sep, 2022 04:16 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The main barrier to succession is his legitimacy, he would have to pass a DNA test, because of his striking resemblance to Major James Hewitt, Diana's lover.

So many retrospective photos have been flashed across the screen—and a few really caught my eye in reference to Harry’s long-questioned appearance.

I’d seen his aunt Jane, but I had remembered her as a blond. I saw a couple of pics of her from what appeared to be the late 70s, maybe early 80s, based on Diana’s appearance in those same photos—she looked a lot like Harry. Kinky red hair, pale face, and similar appearance around the eyes.

I was surprised. It definitely doesn’t squash the Hewitt rumors, but I had to admit seeing a resemblance.
izzythepush

Tue 13 Sep, 2022 04:39 am
@Lash,
I have heard/seen similar reports.

It proves nothing. His parentage is in dispute.

I'm not saying Hewitt is his father I'm just saying the jury is out.

And, as long as he stands no chance of becoming king it won't matter.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 13 Sep, 2022 04:58 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Even as a non-respecter of royalty, I don’t bear ill will toward these people. I do, however, feel strongly that they should begin returning their accumulated wealth to the people of the country and the commonwealth and assiduously decrease the number of people supported by the big dole.

Some jewels sourced from impoverished countries being returned would be a nice move.

Wonder if he will.

Opinion piece in today's Guardian which says the same. More at link.

Quote:
I live at the crossroads of the Commonwealth. My home is Canada, where First Nations people have called on King Charles to renounce the Doctrine of Discovery as his first official act. This law sanctioned the colonial possession of Indigenous lands and has justified violence against Indigenous people. I live in the French-speaking province of Quebec, which was ceded to the British empire in 1763. Here, the proposed abolition of the role of “lieutenant-governor”, the crown’s provincial representative, is a flashpoint in the upcoming election. And I am also a member of the Caribbean diaspora, a region that was violently pulled into the production of sugar to satisfy the bourgeois tastes of the British empire. To this day, the Caribbean bears the scars of Indigenous genocide, slavery, indentureship and colonialism.

For the people of formerly colonised countries, the monarchy is not a neutral institution. It is the embodiment of imperial legacies that benefited Britain at the expense of its colonies, and played an active role in the slave trade. Queen Elizabeth I financially backed slave-trading voyages, and by the 17th-century King Charles II granted royal approval to the Company of Adventurers of London Trading to the Ports of Africa, marking the moment at which transatlantic slavery officially began.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/13/royals-commonwealth-debts-colonies-monarchy
Lash

Tue 13 Sep, 2022 06:05 am
@izzythepush,
What a wonderful move this would be.
izzythepush

Tue 13 Sep, 2022 06:26 am
@Lash,
There's skeletons in all royal closets. Henry V is regarded as one our best kings, who lead a rag tag army to defeat the cream of French nobility.

He undoubtedly had the common touch, like George III he was also known as the English king because he was the first king to use English, not French in court. (Although his father had started the process with the legal system.)

However, despite all this and the Shakespeare play depicting him as the perfect king he did some awful things.

He executed Lollards, early dissenters of the church who followed John Wycliff, the first translator of the Bible into English.

Their beliefs were similar to the protestants under Martin Luther, they were Christian, and under previous kings had been tolerated.

Under Henry V they were guilty of heresy and condemned to death, with many being burned at the stake.
Lash

Tue 13 Sep, 2022 04:59 pm
@izzythepush,
Truly, when I am privately kicking myself for my own transgressions against mankind in general and Huns specifically (this practice seeming to be a rather frequent and harsh exercise in the pants at my current age), I eventually have to remind myself that I haven’t killed anybody, so I can get some sleep (that guy at the prom, that unnecessary argument, that notable indescretion…)

All this to say: my judgment of other people’s lifetime histories has softened considerably over the past few years. I may not vote for bastards with a bad resume, but my ultimate judgment of others is a little kinder as I review my own.
Who knows what I’d have done with a silver spoon in my mouth and millions beckoning me.

I am grateful that I don’t know.
🧐
izzythepush

Wed 14 Sep, 2022 01:33 am
@Lash,
We ordinary people are disposable.

Quote:
Dozens of Clarence House staff have been given notice of their redundancy as the offices of King Charles and the Queen Consort move to Buckingham Palace after the death of the Queen, the Guardian has learned.

Up to 100 employees at the King’s former official residence, including some who have worked there for decades, received notification that they could lose their jobs just as they were working round the clock to smooth his elevation to the throne.

Private secretaries, the finance office, the communications team and household staff are among those who received notice during the thanksgiving service for the Queen, at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh on Monday, that their posts were on the line.

Many staff had assumed they would be amalgamated into the King’s new household, claiming they were given no indication of what was coming until the letter from Sir Clive Alderton, the King’s top aide, arrived. One source said: “Everybody is absolutely livid, including private secretaries and the senior team. All the staff have been working late every night since Thursday, to be met with this. People were visibly shaken by it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/13/king-charles-staff-given-redundancy-notice-during-church-service-for-queen
Lash

Wed 14 Sep, 2022 05:41 am
@izzythepush,
Had to shake my head on that one.

Some footman really dropped the ball when he handed off that information during a ceremony.

And, right now?? Before she’s below the floorboards?

Bad form!
———-
Edit: I’ve read a scathing report on KCIII’s daily requirements (ironing shoelaces, taking the temperature of his breakfast foods and such), and I think a week on a deserted island with no food or shelter should be required of all kings and queens before the crowning.

How ridiculous.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 14 Sep, 2022 05:42 am
@izzythepush,
The sovereign’s wealth: UK royal family’s finances – explained
Quote:
The holdings of the crown estate, Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall, together worth £17bn

King Charles III will inherit his mother’s considerable wealth alongside assets belonging to the crown. One of the richest people in the world, Queen Elizabeth II inherited much of her fortune but is credited with having made some astute investments during her long life and reign.

The sovereign and the wider royal family have three main sources of income, the crown estate, the Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall, much of it derived from centuries-long ownership of land and property across the country, including in central London, and even the seabed around swathes of the British Isles, amounting to assets with a combined value of more than £17bn.

Crown estate
The largest land and property holdings of the monarch are managed by the crown estate. These include sizeable chunks of central London – the monarch is one of the largest property owners in the West End, including St James and Regent Street – as well as farmland, offices and retail parks from Southampton to Newcastle.

In addition, the monarch owns the seabed and half the foreshore around large parts of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, an asset that has become increasingly lucrative since the North Sea oil boom and, more recently, auctions of plots for offshore windfarms. The crown estate is also responsible for managing the whole of the Windsor estate, which spans nearly 16,000 acres and includes parkland and ancient woodland, as well as the Ascot racecourse.

The total value of the properties owned by the crown estate was estimated at £15.6bn in the most annual accounts, released in June.

The estate describes its role as “generating profit for the Treasury for the benefit of the nation’s finances”. The estate made a profit of almost £318m in the last financial year, which was an increase from the previous year as rent collection rebounded after the pandemic, and thanks to the growth in offshore wind.

The monarch’s ownership of the land comprising the estate dates back as far as 1066 and the Norman conquest of Britain. Since 1760 the monarch has allowed the estate’s net income to be surrendered to the government. This funding arrangement came about under George III, who agreed to hand over the income in return for a fixed annual payment, now called the sovereign grant.

The sovereign grant was set at £86.3m for 2021-22, according to the royal household’s annual financial statement, which it said represented £1.29 per person in the UK. Prior to 2017, the Queen received 15% of the crown estate profits from the two previous years, while the remainder was kept by the government. In 2017 this was increased to 25% for the following decade, to help pay for the £370m refurbishment of Buckingham Palace.

The sovereign grant is used to fund official travel, property maintenance and the operating costs of the monarch’s household. Security costs are not covered by the sovereign grant and are paid for by the public. The Institute for Government notes that these costs are not discussed publicly by the royals or the police.

The Queen was not considered liable for tax on the sovereign grant, but voluntarily paid tax on her private income from land owned by the Duchy of Lancaster and property she personally owned.

The crown estate belongs to the reigning monarch “in the right of the crown”, meaning that it is owned by the monarch during their reign by virtue of being on the throne, but is not their private property. King Charles is therefore unable to sell any of the crown estate, and revenues from the estate do not belong to him.

The crown estate passed from the Queen to Charles without the requirement to pay inheritance tax, the standard rate of which is 40%, charged on the part of an estate above a certain threshold, to a maximum of £500,000 for each individual.

Under the Crown Estate Act, responsibility for managing the estate’s assets is given to an independent organisation, led by a board – known as the crown estate commissioners – who hand each year’s surplus revenue to the Treasury. It means the King is not involved in management decisions.

Reform of the funding of the royal family in 2012, with a new sovereign grant, meant the royal household became subject to the same audit scrutiny as other government expenditure, by the National Audit Office and parliament’s public accounts committee.

Duchy of Lancaster
A second, smaller pool of income goes to the sovereign from the Duchy of Lancaster. The duchy was established more than 700 years ago and its estates have belonged to the monarch – who also carries the title of Duke of Lancaster – since 1399.

The duchy owns more than 18,000 hectares (44,478 acres) of land in England and Wales, the majority of which is in Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire, Staffordshire and Lincolnshire, and which including farms, homes and commercial properties. The duchy also has assets including shops, offices and commercial buildings, many of which are in the Savoy area of central London, alongside some financial investments and homes.

In addition, the duchy owns limestone and sandstone quarries stretching from south Wales to North Yorkshire, which supply material to the UK’s construction industry. The duchy has rights to the foreshore from the midpoint of the River Mersey to Barrow-in-Furness.

The duchy had nearly £653m of net assets under its control at the end of March 2022, which provided a net surplus of £24m to the Queen.

Duchy of Cornwall
At the same time as Charles inherited the Duchy of Lancashire on accession to the throne, so the Duchy of Cornwall passed to his eldest son, William, when he became heir to the throne and the 25th Duke of Cornwall.

The duchy owns more than 52,000 hectares of land across 20 counties in England and Wales, stretching from Devon to Kent, and Nottinghamshire to Carmarthenshire. Much of the estate comprises farmland, but it also includes homes and commercial properties, forests, rivers and coastline, as well as the Oval cricket ground in central London and Dartmoor prison.

The duchy’s net assets were valued at more than £1bn at the end of March, and the estate paid Charles an income of £21m for the year ending 31 March 2022, according to the duchy’s annual accounts.

He voluntarily paid the top rate of income tax – 45% – on the duchy’s earnings, after the deduction of official expenditure, but he was not considered liable for capital gains tax, and nor was the duchy considered liable for corporation tax.

Charles’s personal interests in areas such as architecture, sustainability and organic farming shaped the duchy’s work. The question now is whether William will follow his own path, including with ongoing projects such as a residential development at Nansledan, an extension to the town of Newquay in Cornwall, where more than 4,000 homes and a high street are being built over the coming decades.

Additional income
The Queen also had personal wealth derived from assets including properties she owned, such as the estates of Sandringham in Norfolk and Balmoral in Aberdeenshire, her stable of racehorses. Meanwhile the value of the royal stamp collection has been estimated at £100m. .

The royal family’s total wealth is estimated rather than known, as much of the Queen’s personal wealth was kept private. The Queen’s net worth was estimated at £370m on the 2022 Sunday Times Rich List, a £5m increase from the previous year.

The details of many assets passed from one generation of the royal family to another on their death have been concealed, the Guardian has previously revealed, through legal applications that have allowed the Windsors to seal certain family wills.

British wills are normally required by law to be published, but the sealing of the royal wills has prevented the public from seeing what kind of assets – such as property, jewellery and cash – have been passed on down the generations.

0 Replies

Lash

Wed 14 Sep, 2022 06:00 am
Seems like one of the primary concerns of QEII—as her character is presented in the fictionalized account of her life in The Crown—was to keep the public from dragging the family out of the castle and putting their heads on spikes.

Philip’s family in Greece was torn down from their place, and Philip himself barely escaped with his life.

Several storylines centered around how to navigate this scandal, how to keep a layer of mystery, what stance will portray us as sympathetic and worthy.

I’ve occasionally speculated if the goodwill necessary for the continuation of the monarchy would survive after QEII.

Could it be so damaged by Charles’ natural unpopularity that it will be mortally wounded when passed to William.

$15b is a damn lot of money. Colonization gutted several countries. And KCIII is too detached.
izzythepush

Wed 14 Sep, 2022 06:51 am
@Lash,
What you need to remember is that we tried republicanism a long time ago, and that ended up with Oliver Cromwell imposing puritanism on everyone, banning Christmas and everything fun.

I don't think Charles is that unpopular, I know about the servant's stories and Diana, but most people think of his enviromentalism.

Most people are ambivalent about the crown.

Reublicanism was more popular before Blair became pm. His huge majority enabled him to act presidential.

Events in America with Dubya pushing us into an illegal war in Iraq along with the loss of personal liberty that came with the Patriot Act.

Donald Trump's attack on the Capitol Building wasn't much of an advert for Republicanism at all.

We don't want that over here.

I was very much inthe Republican camp before 9/11.

Now I'm not so sure, I'm alright about getting rid of the Royals, but I'm not happy about any of the alternatives.

So I think we're stuck with it for the time being.
edgarblythe

Wed 14 Sep, 2022 07:02 am
@izzythepush,
I don't see the British as a great threat to the world these days. I am tolerant of Charles.
0 Replies