Queen Elizabeth has died at the age of 96.

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 11:38 am
https://imgur.com/lgt4JIS.jpg

glitterbag

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 11:41 am
@tsarstepan,
Very sad, she lived a long life and was greatly admired. She has been the Queen my entire life.........it's hard to imagine anyone taking her place.
Mame

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 11:52 am
@glitterbag,
Her death was likely a relief to her. It was hard not to admire her. I doubt there's anyone in her family with as much dignity as she had. Hard act to follow.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 11:53 am
She was one of the few people still alive who had been in the same room as both Churchill and Roosevelt.

The word was out when Liz Truss was handed a note in the Commons.

It was the first time her health had interrupted parliamentary proceedings.

I doubt there will be little else on the telly for the next few days.

She is the only monarch most people have known.
0 Replies

jcboy

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 12:00 pm
“I lived long enough to know that things never remain quite the same for very long.”

Queen Elizabeth

RIP
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 12:01 pm
Guardian article on what to expect over the next ten days.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/08/the-queens-funeral-what-we-can-expect-over-the-next-10-days
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 12:08 pm
I'll miss her. Really.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 12:23 pm
Watching the BBC New Coverage in the hours prior to the announcement was surreal.

Per protocols, the news anchors wore black (as expected when a royal member dies) but they were very cautious in not saying the Queen has died until Buckingham Palace officially made the announcement.

The anchor on BBC News even said doctors can no longer help her.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 12:24 pm
One constant has been the warmth that her prime ministers have spoken about their weekly meetings with the Queen.

It was a chance for an informal chat, and Liz knew a great deal. She became queen when Churchill was prime minister and she lived through a lot and spoke to 15 different prime ministers.

Although Liz Truss doesn't really count. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that learning Truss was pm finally finished her off.

Harry Truman was president when she ascended the throne.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 12:27 pm
I admired her. I was somewhere around nine when her father died.
0 Replies

jcboy

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 12:40 pm
Her unflinching embrace of her duty and love of country was inspiring. One of a kind. She ruled with finesse and good old traditional grit, something lacked in most people nowadays.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 12:42 pm

jespah

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 12:59 pm
Her level of service, commitment, duty, and grace may never be seen again.
0 Replies

Ragman

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 01:09 pm
Though I was too young to remember at aged 2 or 3 years, I recall viewing all of the grainy newsreel footage of her coronation. I recall just how important she was as a beacon of hope to post-war UK in its return to normalcy.

May she finally Rest In Peace. This marks the end of an era for the UK. She was one of a kind in her devotion and love of her country.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 01:40 pm
BBC 1 & 2 ITV, Channels 4 and 5, are all showing nothing else.

These are the four oldest terrestrial channels.

Channel 5 came along with Satellite, but for most of the 1970s we only had three channels, Channel 4 came in the early 80s.

Basically, these are channels 1-5 on the guide.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 02:01 pm
RIP

Prince, er. . . King Charles, the III after Charles II whose father, Charles I, was beheaded after the English Civil War, and a commonwealth was established for a short time under Oliver Cromwell. The movie about it was pretty good.

It's gonna take a while to get used to saying King Charles.
coluber2001

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 03:30 pm
@InfraBlue,
King Charles is a champion of nature history, and I look forward to
his efforts at conservation and reversing climate change.
Mame

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 03:45 pm
@coluber2001,
Doesn't he have to go through a coronation first?
InfraBlue

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 04:49 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Doesn't he have to go through a coronation first?

Eh, mere formalities.

I can just imagine the formalities they'll hold.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 8 Sep, 2022 06:23 pm
It’s not easy to shepherd an antiquated, classist money-draining family through seven decades of scandals, economic disarray, pandemics, etc.

I don’t respect the idea of royalty, so when I was asking myself why her death bothered me, I guessed it was partly because she didn’t ask for the role that circumstance foisted on her—and she provided everyone with a small degree of stability.

Presidents came and went—society upended frequently—but, she was always there, seeming unflappable, in good humor, not saying anything that made me nervous.

Her views may have pissed me off. I don’t know. She kept them to herself.

All the things she did that gave comfort—or better yet, all the things she didn’t do that gave comfort—will be missed by me.
0 Replies