Extreme dog\pet ownership

Linkat

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2022 01:32 am
When does this cross the line. I have two pups that we call our babies and I know how they are part of the family...but what do you do when you travel? Do you take them with you and assume they are accepted like any family member and then complain when the lodging says no or tries to accommodate you by charging a fee?

We have traveled and organized a family gathering for elderly parents. We rented an airbnb house and others did the same. Due to odd circumstances we ended up in a situation where our accommodation was the best to host people gathering. We had no issues with this.

As people started to gather and come in , one family walked in with their dog.. I see them and say I am sorry but we can't have pets..it was clearly stated when we booked this that no lets were allowed ... They seemed to take offense and took the dog to back yard ...which I still was not happy about but wanted to keep the peace ..another person from this same family brought their dog but left her in the car.

We left and paid for someone to care for our dogs before coming ..but thought was I out of line? I was given the evil eye and made to feel bad as their dog suffers from anxiety is on medication so they don't want to leave her alone ..but yet they surprise this on us unknown and we are the bad guys?

Linkat

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2022 01:37 am
@Linkat,
To add to this .. They also rented an airbnb ...which did not accept pets showed up with their dog and then are complaining that the owner would allow the dog but charge them an extra $200 for deep cleaning.

To me it is lucking they allowed the dog after advertising they don't accept pets
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2022 07:21 am
@Linkat,
As a pet owner, I've always considered these things part of owning a pet. You need to handle sitting while you're away, you need to handle lodging, you need to handle transportation. None of this should be a surprise to a responsible pet owner.
Mame

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2022 08:06 am
I think your guests were unreasonable. Obviously, they should have asked your permission prior to bringing them. There are so many places you can't bring a dog that this should be a no-brainer. I hope you gave the stink-eye back Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2022 09:07 am
Since they were advised in advance they had no reasonable expectation the dogs would be allowed.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2022 12:44 pm
Calgary has enacted a new by-law allowing leased and friendly pets onto restaurant/bar decks. It's a wonderful idea, provided there's shade. We took our Brandon to hubby's watering hole yesterday with treats and a water dish and he was quite happy. Got a lot of petting, too, so bonus!
thack45

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2022 01:23 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

None of this should be a surprise to a responsible pet owner.

Absolutely. I do have a hard time believing people are unintentionally that obtuse, but (with some reluctance) I suppose it's possible.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2022 10:26 pm
I always make arrangements for my dog when we travel. Once I took the dog as we drove by car and the hotel did take pets, but it was so stressful for the dog being in a different environment and around way too many people, I realized it was a bad idea. Now she goes to her favorite "grandma" who dots on her much more than I do.

Linkat, the problem isn't the dog, it's the owners and once they have taken the liberty to bring the dog, you're almost in a bind as you don't want the animal to sit in the car for a long time or be in the back yard. It's the dog owners who are at fault, so don't punish the dog, let the owner pay everyone dinner for at least 2 nights.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 03:58 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Now she goes to her favorite "grandma" who dots on her much more than I do.

So she hasn't always been a dalmation.
mark noble

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 05:58 am
@Linkat,
When I had dogs - They meant more to me than travelling.
23yrs - I never spent a day away.

Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 11:59 am
So we came home the other day. Was a great trip overall but as you can imagine with many family members there is always drama – this was just one aspect.

And another family member told us this same couple did the same to them - surprised them with their dog when they came to visit (and they are not fans of dogs).

So the next day we were to have everyone over again for a barbecue. We agreed they could bring both dogs only in the yard and they were to take them out in the alley way to do their business – we didn’t want any issues with harming the grass. They are both really sweet dogs and I do have to agree they are all responsible pet owners meaning they do bring them where they should do their business and they are well trained dogs at least in that way.

I think the one that gave me the stink eye maybe felt bad the next day or perhaps someone said something to me as she was as sweet as could be the next day, talked my ear off and tried to help me with everything. We did talk a bit about the dogs as she was kind of stating how the owner said after seeing the dog it was ok to stay but they had to pay more…in a kind way I said I can understand that as the owners do not know you – they don’t know if you are someone who will care for their property and your pet or not – also they do need to clean more afterwards in case someone comes with a pet allergy. I know the individual we rented from has some properties that she allows pets and some that she does not.

For dogs going to restaurants (the outside part) yeah I love when they allow that – I have done that with my doggie – the one that doesn’t tend to get over excited and bark. Even went to a yappy hour once it is fun to bring the pups. Part of being a responsible pet owner is knowing your pet and knowing if bringing them out in this situation is ok for them (and everyone around them) – know different than your child.

As far as not knowing – if you travel or bring your pet places – you need to know about this…and for airbnbs there is a filter for pets allowed so you can filter for those that allow them and they state fees if any associated with bringing your pet. I have one dog I would bring with me (and thought about doing that) as he is so easy and loves traveling with you in a car and would be fine in the plane I am sure – he just likes to be around you. My other would do better without the travel which is why we left them both behind.

In any case, it all worked out – the Airbnb even left a reference for us – saying you left their place in wonderful condition and would love to have us rent from them again. Which may be likely with family in the area and where she owns various properties.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 12:08 pm
@Linkat,
The largest shopping mall in Southampton, Westquay, allows dogs, there are even water bowls in strategic locations.

Having said that I don't think the dogs are allowed inside any of the shops themselves.
Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 12:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Yeah I am seeing more and more dog friendly places - those that allow dogs or "semi" allow them - like you state about this mall. I have rarely seen, if ever, any dogs that are mis-behaving dogs in these places, most travel nicely - even at the airport I have seen many of these in their strollers and carriers - just traveling around.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 12:35 pm
@Linkat,
There is acar boot I go to where dogs are banndd completely.

All dogs, guide dogs even.

There are animals on site, mostly donkeys, but also some horses and the owner has areal thing about dogs.

Other carboots allow them, and they're normally well behaved except for one place, and I don't go there any more.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 02:00 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

We took our Brandon to hubby's watering hole yesterday with treats and a water dish and he was quite happy. Got a lot of petting, too, so bonus!

Your hubby was happy with water and lots of petting.Good hubby!
Mame

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 05:11 pm
@Ragman,
That was not a dangling sentence, Ragman Smile but nice try.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 05:32 pm
@Linkat,
Some people are just stupid to ask "if we could bring our dog" and usually this becomes a problem. As with my family pet I could not go to my cousins wedding. Why? Because my pet is close to us and it would be traumatizing to leave the dog.

Dogs are like parrots, primates, pigs, various fish, crows, and other birds, and dolphins. They have extremely high intelligence and exhibit the same emotions, language, and behavior as most people do.

I mean with dogs they have to go with you. In fact some former students, and co-workers had their big dogs with them. Over-protected or not once you have a dog it becomes impossible to leave them with strangers who do not understand that.

In fact in the news a man with two dogs left some tiny highschooler with them. These dogs was the guard dog category, and because they were not trained to be walked, or be under strangers, she was badly injured.

Another issue with dogs is fear. Dogs can sense fear ( like girls ). You can not flinch with a dog. In order for a dog to be around children the dog needs to be introduced to people.

Again they brought the dog because it is part of their family unit. Otherwise you should just tell one to stay behind as with my family.

................................................................................................................................

Not every dog is the same, and is not a game. Your literally dealing with a human being on all fours that is unable to speak our words.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 10:16 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:

Now she goes to her favorite "grandma" who dots on her much more than I do.

So she hasn't always been a dalmation.

Hahaha, that's funny! dotes was the word :-)
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 01:21 am
@CalamityJane,
I thought that's what you meant.
0 Replies