Oil has DOUBLED in price since the US-led invasion..

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:02 am
..of Iraq!

Quote:

Oil has still almost doubled from the end of 2003, adding 42 percent in the past year, and earlier today climbed as high as $64.27 a barrel.
source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,352 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:09 am
Doesn't bother me one bit. I don't drive (be grateful for that everybody) and I have wood burning fireplaces and an electric stove.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:06 am
Re: Oil has DOUBLED in price since the US-led invasion..
Mr Stillwater wrote:
..of Iraq!

Quote:

Oil has still almost doubled from the end of 2003, adding 42 percent in the past year, and earlier today climbed as high as $64.27 a barrel.
source

You seem to forget that the price of oil is controlled by the American public and their obsession for gas guzzling SUVs and PICKUP TRUCKS.

If this is what it takes to force finding alternative sources of energy.......so be it.!!!!!!!

My only regret is that Bush didn't insist on a $dollar a gallon tax on gas so that it would have benefited our federal deficit instead of filling the coffers of the Saudis so that the fanatical billionaire Saudi princes can pour more money into funding al Queda. Bush will be blamed either way.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:14 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:15 am
Sturgis wrote:
Doesn't bother me one bit. I don't drive (be grateful for that everybody) and I have wood burning fireplaces and an electric stove.

and the world revolves around you of course.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:17 am
Re: Oil has DOUBLED in price since the US-led invasion..
Mr Stillwater wrote:
..of Iraq!

Quote:

source

But Haliburtons profits are up 247%, and they enrich bushco and are huge campaign contributors and sit in at the white house to write policy, so that's really what matters and is the real reason for the Iraq war so stop whining for God's sake. All is well.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:41 am
Quote:
You seem to forget that the price of oil is controlled by the American public and their obsession for gas guzzling SUVs and PICKUP TRUCKS.

This is completely untrue. You have the model backwards.

You see, we really don't use much more oil than we used, as a nation, in 2003. Without an increase in demand, there shouldn't be an increase in price.

Except that the price of oil really isn't based on demand; it is based upon stability of supply and futures. What this basically means is that the Iraq war has destabilized the region sufficiently that the oil companies and traders are scared that the whole supply will be cut off; this makes the prices skyrocket for what is left.

There is no doubt that oil companies, who are traditional allies of the Bushco., are making money hand over fist off of this war; Exxon-mobil profited over 7 BILLION dollars in the first quarter of this year.

Sturgis, I thought I would politely remind you that I am still awaiting a single piece of the 'reams of evidence' in the thread about torture. I'm sure you are digging to find just the right one, but I'd love to see anything you can drag up.

And, although I salute your lack of car usage, I sure hope you don't use any plastic; because the prices on that have gone up as well. Where did you think it came from?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:35 am
Cy wrote:
You see, we really don't use much more oil than we used, as a nation, in 2003. Without an increase in demand, there shouldn't be an increase in price.

This is a contradiction........how much is......"not much more"?

Cy wrote:
Except that the price of oil really isn't based on demand; it is based upon stability of supply and futures. What this basically means is that the Iraq war has destabilized the region sufficiently that the oil companies and traders are scared that the whole supply will be cut off; this makes the prices skyrocket for what is left.

Hmmmm.....last time I looked the law of supply and demand was still king.........to accept your thinking one would need to ignore the greatly increased demand created by the Chinese industrial expansion, plus the normal increase in demand caused by global growth.

When you factor in the above WITH the manipulation of the pawns in the press by the speculators, you have a temporary situation which will be corrected when all the storage is full.

You do, however, get a lollipop for imagination Cy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:47 am
These cost increases are going to have impacts in many consumer prices - fruits, vegetables, anything delivered by truck ...

transport topics (you have to register for the newsletter)

Quote:
Updated on 8/9/2005 - 11:00:00 AM EST
Diesel Jumps to $2.407; Price is Close to All-Time High
Gasoline Hits Record; West Coast Diesel Soars More Than 20 Cents

The average price of U.S. retail diesel rose 5.9 cents to $2.407 a gallon, just 0.1 cent behind the all-time record set July 11, and gasoline prices surged to a record high, the Department of Energy reported Monday.

The national average gasoline price rose 7.7 cents to $2.368 a gallon, 4 cents over the $2.328 record also set July 11, DOE said following its weekly survey of filling stations.

While regional diesel average prices rose in all five regions surveyed, they were led by huge spikes in the West Coast and in California, which DOE breaks out separately from the national regions.

The West Coast average jumped 20.7 cents to $2.801, while California's leaped 28.6 cents to $2.943 a gallon. Since May 30, the West Coast price has risen 48.4 cents and California's has soared 57.6 cents.

Regional gasoline price increases were led by the Midwest, up 11 cents to $2.329, and Gulf Coast, which rose a dime to $2.282, DOE said.

The national average diesel price increase was the second straight following two weeks of declines. The national average price has risen in 22 of 32 weeks this year, with the low price of $1.934 set on Jan. 10.

The national average price for trucking's main fuel is 59.3 cents over this time last year, adding $118.60 to the cost of a 200-gallon big-rig fill-up over the same week last year.

The West Coast diesel price is 77.1 cents over last year, which would add $154.20 to a fill-up, while California's price, 83 cents higher, would add $166 more to a trucker's bill for a fill-up this year.

The Gulf Coast region had the lowest average price, at $2.323 a gallon, up 4.4 cents from last week. The Midwest also rose 4.4 cents, to $2.336.

The East Coast diesel average rose 3 cents, the smallest weekly increase of the regions, to $2.386, and the Rocky Mountain price rose 6.5 cents to $2.486.

Each week DOE surveys 350 filling stations to compile a national snapshot retail price.

By Transport Topics

Funny how people don't always consider the implications of their actions (and inaction). Instability in the oil supply - and fear of further instability in major oil and gas-producing regions - is whacking a lot of hard-working people.

Some independent truckers are going out of business because their contracts weren't written to accommodate changes in fuel costs. The trucking fleet in North America is aging, and we're at the start of what should have been the replacement cycle. Trucking firms are hiking delivery costs at both ends, and still may not be able to update their fleets as they should be doing - which is impacting repair and insurance costs, among other expenses.

It's not a good thing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:50 am
Ray,

Do you understand how the price of oil is set, and what it is based upon? I'd like to hear ya explain it to me in simple words.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:01 am
rayban1 wrote:
Cy wrote:

This is a contradiction........how much is......"not much more"?

Cy wrote:

Hmmmm.....last time I looked the law of supply and demand was still king........

Speaking of kings.

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Oil prices jumped $1 a barrel to a new high Monday after the death of Saudi Arabia's King Fahd raised concerns about the kingdom's long-term political stability. The rally, which faded late in the day, also stemmed from traders' skittishness about U.S. refinery glitches and Iran's nuclear program

Maybe in your arrogant but rather elementary understanding of economics you forgot that supply and demand occasionally plays second fiddle to political instability, social unrest and speculative tendancies of volitile commodities.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:26 am
Candidone wrote:
Maybe in your arrogant but rather elementary understanding of economics you forgot that supply and demand occasionally plays second fiddle to political instability, social unrest and speculative tendancies of volitile commodities.

For certain I am no economist but since the man who is most wrong, most often(Paul Krugman) is also an economist, my lack of education in this mystic arena, should not disqualify me from making a "common sense" judgement about supply and demand.

What you say about the above forces is, in your words, "OCCASIONALLY" true but they always fade into the background after a brief flight as a meteor.
Supply and demand has historically comminated the majority of the time.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:42 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

This is completely untrue. You have the model backwards.

There is no doubt that oil companies, who are traditional allies of the Bushco., are making money hand over fist off of this war; Exxon-mobil profited over 7 BILLION dollars in the first quarter of this year.

Sturgis, I thought I would politely remind you that I am still awaiting a single piece of the 'reams of evidence' in the thread about torture. I'm sure you are digging to find just the right one, but I'd love to see anything you can drag up.

And, although I salute your lack of car usage, I sure hope you don't use any plastic; because the prices on that have gone up as well. Where did you think it came from?

Cycloptichorn

Americans insatiable appetite for SUV's and pickup trucks is fed by the auto industry's relentless ad campaigns to make them look as sexy as possible. That will most likely end soon, as gas prices continue to set records at the pumps.

The destablization of the Middle Eastern region, coupled with the insatiable appetite of China, is only going to make matters worse. Bush's only desire has been to further help his corporate buddies make a whopping profit at the expense of the American people.

And wasn't Iraq's oil going to pay for the reconstruction?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:42 am
rayban1 wrote:
Candidone wrote:

For certain I am no economist but since the man who is most wrong, most often(Paul Krugman) is also an economist, my lack of education in this mystic arena, should not disqualify me from making a "common sense" judgement about supply and demand.

What you say about the above forces is, in your words, "OCCASIONALLY" true but they always fade into the background after a brief flight as a meteor.
Supply and demand has historically comminated the majority of the time.

...and I intnetionally used that language since the title of this thread was that oil prices have nearly doubled since the American led invasion of Iraq.
Price increases since 2003 can not be attributed to changes in supply and demand because, as we all know, domestic and foreign demand has not doubled in 2 years.

Case in point: Primacy in this instance can be given to localized socio-political instability rather than supply and demand.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:21 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Ray,

Do you understand how the price of oil is set, and what it is based upon? I'd like to hear ya explain it to me in simple words.

Cycloptichorn

Yeah......George Bush gets together with Karl Rove and.................
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:36 pm
rayban1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Ray,

Cycloptichorn

Yeah......George Bush gets together with Karl Rove and.................

No, no, no....we're talking crude oil prices, not crude practices with petroleum lubricants.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:41 pm
The booming economies of India and China are major cause of the rise in world wide demand and the resulting rise in oil prices. The US is no longer the market that determines world demand.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:48 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Sturgis wrote:

and the world revolves around you of course.

Well that is what my mom always told me. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 03:03 pm
Sturgis wrote:

Do you buy anything that isn't produced locally? Food? Clothing? Appliances? Books? ... the cost effect will get to you.

Does anyone drive you anywhere, pick things up for you? ... the cost effect will get to you.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 03:14 pm
sturgis is just striking a pose beth. He can't possibly be that narrow in his view of things. I don't think anyway......
0 Replies