Oil has DOUBLED in price since the US-led invasion..

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 03:21 pm
Well, it looks like Rayban's supply and demand argument has been pretty much debunked.

I guess that means it must be just about time for Brandon to stop by and tell us all how it's better to pay double for oil than to have our heads sawed off.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:41 pm
kickycan wrote:
Well, it looks like Rayban's supply and demand argument has been pretty much debunked.

I guess that means it must be just about time for Brandon to stop by and tell us all how it's better to pay double for oil than to have our heads sawed off.

Laughing
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 05:49 am
Supply and demand!!

That is about as foreign (and repellent) a concept to the people who sell you fuel as vegetarianism!!

The term I am thinking of is 'cartel', with a few players controlling the market and little incentive to bring prices down.

And what are you going to do? Make petrol in your garage? Drive a smaller, more fuel-efficient car and announce to the world that you have a small penis and are probably a closeted homosexual??
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 05:54 am
Here is the outlook for oil in the future...

Quote:
The Saudis conclude that the kingdom could easily ramp up to 10 million bbl. a day from its current 8.5 million and comfortably sustain that level through 2042. If demand is really strong, they insist, the kingdom could build up to 12 million bbl. a day by 2016 and hold that level out of existing reserves until 2033.

source

...and as I keep reminding you - the crude oil reserves of North and Central America are virtually untapped! By rights, this stuff should be about as chaep as beer! If there was fair market for it......
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:12 am
kickycan wrote:

Heads sawn off while screaming . . . don't forget the "while screaming" part, it's crucial to the horror of it all . . .
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:22 am
Beer cheap? Where?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:34 am
So, this thread has descended to the typical characters talking **** about fellow board members... grow up.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:45 am
define grow up....
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:51 am
I just want to find out about the cheap beer.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:05 am
goodfielder wrote:

we do a penny budweiser night at one of my karaoke shows... thast's close to free... but I'm betting

A: It's too far to come.....

B: You Aussies probably don't consider Bud to actually be beer..... Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:17 am
McGentrix wrote:
So, this thread has descended to the typical characters talking **** about fellow board members... grow up.

Pot? . . . Kettle.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 03:56 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

It is like making love in a canoe......

Setanta can fill you in on the rest.
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:05 am
Rayban

The price of all scarce commodities is based solely on what the seller can sell it for.

The gallons of gasoline we consume amout to about 10% of a barrel of oil. So why the expense? Because people in this country allow items that are deemed critical to our national security to go unregulated.

More years ago than I care to admit I worked for an eastern oil company. It was at the beginning of the first oil crisis. There was supposed to be a shortage of home heating oil. The underground tanks in Staten Island NY were supposed to be empty. When the January thaw arrived at 72 degrees F, the oil that wasn't there came streaming out of the vent tubes of the storage tanks.

Oh, by the way, the price of home heating oil went from $.42 to a $1.42 overnight.

What most people aren't listening to is the fact that the price of a barrel of crude is of little worry to the oil companies. They process the oil, mark it up, and sell it. If they paid $6 a barrel as they did in the sixties, they made $42 for the refined product. Today they $60+ and sell it for $420.

Are you beginning to see that the more they pay the more they make. And as someone who sells commodities, I wish I had that kind of cause and effect deal.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:11 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

we do a penny budweiser night at one of my karaoke shows... thast's close to free... but I'm betting

A: It's too far to come.....

If you fall over after drinking too much then it's beer Very Happy

Okay funnies out of the way. How do I get there? Got some map coordinates??????
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:48 am
Well Goodfielder, you will be ecstatic over this one!!

Highest prices for crude oil EVER!!

Quote:
U.S. crude oil futures scaled an all-time peak above $66 on Friday, with London Brent crude, U.S. gasoline and heating oil also hitting new highs, on strong U.S. economic data and fears of tighter gasoline supplies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 04:42 am
I haven't been following this thread. Just had a thought to put in and see how it plays. When a disaster, such as a hurricane, hits a place it is illegal to hike prices. Something called profiteering. Except if you are in the oil business. Iran might make a bomb. Oh, let's hike oil prices. A hurricane might damage an offshore rig. Raise gas prices. etc. Sure sounds like illegal profiteering to me.
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:01 pm
To All

Have you ever been in that place where no matter how hard you try, you can't make any movement. This oil crisis is just that kind of thing.

Everyone thinks that the price of oil and gasoline is far more than it might be, but are helpless to change it.

IT IS NOT SO!!!!

If you want to change the shape of your body you eat less or change your eating patterns to foods that have less calories. Same goes for oil. We can change how we use oil and increase our use of less oli consuming products.

THAT SIMPLE!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:05 pm
While I agree with ya Cav (600 miles on my bike in less than 5 months of ownership; I've beaten my goals considerably) it is quite difficult to stop buying a major oil product: Plastic.

The demand for oil will always be there in some part, and as we move to an even higher-tech culture it will not go away, ever. The most we can do is hope to reduce that demand.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:48 pm
Cycloptichorn

You are right, but if we stopped using oil to heat our homes and gasoline for our cars and found alternatives that were cleaner and cheaper, we could use oil for plastics and other useful products.

The fact is that back in 1960's and 70's we had enough oil in the ground to last us for 600 years at the then current usage.

The need for imported oil was the way around the law that fixed the price of oil at the wellhead at $6.00. The markup is 700 %. A $6.00 barrel of oil was worth $42 in finished product. A $60 barrel of oil is worth $420 in finished product. Do the math!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:51 pm
That is the key Cy. And I think Cavalina's point. Reducing the demand for oil will drive the price down somewhat.

The problem, particularly here in the good old USA, is that people have become accustomed to the convenience of their autos. I drive about 30 miles each day to work, as does my wife. For a number of years we drove seperately, because it was convenient to do so. But several years ago, we decided to try to do our part and began riding together. It was a bit inconvenient at first, but we worked things out and now I cannot imagine us not riding together. I look now at cars that pass me on the interstate and I guarantee that 90% of them or better have just one person in them. You would think that with the current prices, more people would try to carpool. But no, most Americans would rather complain about the high prices and blame the government for allowing it.
0 Replies