Jessica Lynch says US used her as Iraq war symbol

candidone1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:48 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Did your personal friend describe what sort of "rescue" was necessary from a hospital at which the staff have said there were no armed men?

Yes he did. And that is as much as I will say. You can take it or leave it. I am not about to attempt to convince you or anyone else as to the validity of what he told me. It would do very little good as y'all seem to have decided what you believe about this. Think what you will.

There may be some who are interested in your (friend's) story. Sometimes some massaging is necessary so as to not seem like you're playing make believe...and perhaps to defend an issue that seems to be getting hot.

You were the one who claimed to have privleged information, so in the future, if you choose to offer it up, be prepared to follow through with what you know.
Pretty easy to throw in the towel now...unless you doubt your friend's story.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:45 pm
I actually am more mad at how the armed forces advertise. Their commertials glamorize war. Certainly there is much honor and bravery involved, but there is not glory in war.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:54 pm
Tenoch wrote:
I actually am more mad at how the armed forces advertise. Their commertials glamorize war. Certainly there is much honor and bravery involved, but there is not glory in war.

How do they glamorize war? If anyone glamorizes war that would be Hollywood.

I have seen them advertise about training for the civilian world opportunities to become a leader.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:04 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Tenoch wrote:

I have seen them advertise about training for the civilian world opportunities to become a leader.

whatyou talkin' 'bout, willis ?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:22 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Tenoch wrote:

whatyou talkin' 'bout, willis ?

He said the Army glamorized war. I asked how they did so.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:30 pm
Watch the ads, Baldimo.

They're a fascinating bit of advertising art. Military recruiting, in times of war, often needs better ads than during peace. Nothing new about that.

The American military did some significant revamping in 2001 - anyone remember what changed? or was it only obvious to advertising geeks who follow that sort of thing?

military ad campaigns/ u.s. link

Quote:

Of course, the numbers haven't been so good lately - so there had to be another ad revamping for the active military and the reserves. Fascinating stuff.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:37 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Watch the ads, Baldimo.

They're a fascinating bit of advertising art. Military recruiting, in times of war, often needs better ads than during peace. Nothing new about that.

The American military did some significant revamping in 2001 - anyone remember what changed? or was it only obvious to advertising geeks who follow that sort of thing?

military ad campaigns/ u.s. link

Quote:

Of course, the numbers haven't been so good lately - so there had to be another ad revamping for the active military and the reserves. Fascinating stuff.

I have seen the commercials and I still don't see how war is glamorized. Could you give me an example or even the person who made the statement could.

I don't see how changing advertising companies make war glamorous?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:40 pm
I've studied this twice - once while working on a psych degree a long time ago, and later while doing an advertising specialty as part of a grad level marketing program.

This click gets a lot of research money - both in the development of the ad campaigns, and then the research into the results.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook/0309085314/html/226.html

current brit coverage of the problem and response

they're working on it in russia

Quote:
U.S. Defense Department and a private marketing firm are creating a database of personal information on students ages 16 to 18 to be used to bolster slumping wartime military recruitment numbers.

The marketing firm, BeNow Inc. of Wakefield, Mass., was hired in late June by the Defense Department to analyze student data and profile individuals who meet the age and school requirements for military service.

The database, known as Joint Advertising and Marketing Research and Studies, is updated daily and distributed monthly to military recruiters. It consists of information such as cell-phone numbers, e-mail addresses, height, weight, ethnicity, areas of study, grade-point averages, birth dates and Social Security numbers.

the name of the database isn't a coincidence ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:42 pm
Looks like you're their target market, Baldimo.

If you can see through their ads, they're not going to work.

Tenoch's obviously going to be a harder sell.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:44 pm
The Jessica Lynch story, as the U.S. military and media originally attempted to present it, fit into the profile nicely. Regrettably for the U.S. military and media (MSM all right - always doing what they're asked), there were a lot of witnesses and other video and camera.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:47 pm
i think what they mean is that the commercials show footage of all the cool stuff like computerized weaponry and jumping out of helicoptors without showing the grisly stuff that comes with it in war.

it seems like a person would know that. but from what my wife tells me, there are a few of her former students who drop by to say hello after getting back from the m.e. and didn't seem to think about that part before signing up.

the military commercials aren't the only ones that sell the sizzle instead of the steak. that's how advertising works.

so let the buyer beware, i guess.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 07:41 pm
Boy, have we gone off-topic!

As DontTreadOnMe says, that's what advertising is all about -- selling the sizzle, not the steak. Obviously, if the Army wants to recruit people, they're not going to show photos of folks with their faces shattered by shrapnel or legs torn off in an IED attack. They're going to show the cool stuff that appeals to people of the right age.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 08:36 pm
I just saw a commercial for the Reserves and the kid trying to sell his father on letting him join uses the 'fact' that they will only call him when they need him. Who's idea was it to run this ad NOW? Confused

This seems on cue to me, Merry Andrew. Aren't we talking about the military and the selling of the war?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:21 pm
eoe wrote:
I just saw a commercial for the Reserves and the kid trying to sell his father on letting him join uses the 'fact' that they will only call him when they need him. Who's idea was it to run this ad NOW? Confused

This seems on cue to me, Merry Andrew. Aren't we talking about the military and the selling of the war?

I still don't see how any of this glamorizes war. Do they show people being killed and US troops shouting for joy? Do they tell people that they can be the first on their block to take an al Queda head? Do they tell people that they will never go to war?

I don't see an issue with the commercial. What the kid said was true. In the Reserves they will only activate you if you are needed. Was there some lie about what he said?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:29 pm
We don't need the commercials, Baldimo. We have you.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:37 pm
Intrepid wrote:
We don't need the commercials, Baldimo. We have you.

I'm still waiting to hear how the military glamorizes war. Still haven't received any answers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:39 pm
Doing some selective reading, eh? Refer to DTOM's post about jumping out of helicopters and cool video game-like effects. There are none so blind as those who will not see.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
Doing some selective reading, eh? Refer to DTOM's post about jumping out of helicopters and cool video game-like effects. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Jumping out of a helicopter doesn't glamorize war, it is part of someones job. Do you know the last time there was a combat jump with the US military? Try when we invaded Gernanda.

There are people who jump out of airplanes quite often.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:04 pm
Gernanda ? ! ? ! ? . . . damn you crack me up . . . it's really hard to take you seriously.

The point, which you are either too dense to see, or willfully ignore, is that war isn't about cool video game effects and jumping out of helicopters--it's about blood splattered everywhere from the explosion of an IED going off as a vehicle that Rummy was too goddamned cheap to armor was passing by.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:38 pm
Quote:
Alexander excelled as a leader in his ROTC unit at Loyola College in Maryland. He started an athletic club during his four years, and he won the George C. Marshall award his senior year.

He also took advantage of the Army schools available to ROTC students. He went to Airborne school, Air Assault School and cadet troop leadership training.

Alexander likes the commercial, though it wasn't what he expected.

"I thought it would be like the typical Army commercial, where they usually have an infantry guy running through the woods all excited, trying to get someone pumped up to join the Army," said Alexander. "The way they formatted it -- this is my perception of the commercial -- what they did was they made it in such a way to get you interested in either the person or the kind of job, and then kind of linked it to the Website. You can see all the additional footage."

The television commercial features Alexander on his first helicopter ride, called a nickel ride, and expressing his feelings about it.

"Then it shows me flying, and then the narrator comes in and says, 'Go see if David can make the cut,'" he says, laughing.

The commercial is designed to drive the audience to the Website. The site opens with the option to view the stories on the Soldiers currently seen on the television commercials. Once on the site, visitors can choose which geographical locale, Soldier and job they're interested in.

"The idea is that someone in the Army is doing something in the world 24 hours a day, seven days a week," said Anderson, describing the global view of the Army as depicted by the Website.

Each Soldier has his own page, with three short videos depicting him on the job. The site also offers a timeline of the Soldier's career, as well as more information on the job itself.

Alexander's page shows him flying his OH-58 Kiowa during instrument training, as well as shots of him in the classroom and working on the helicopter with his stick buddy, Sage.

There is also a section describing his career thus far. The site offers links to more information on helicopters of the Army as well as career fields involving Army helicopters.

"The stuff on the Internet is awesome, how they tied everything in," said Alexander. "I think they made it look really good."

"The Army is not a lumbering, old thing," said Fox-Robertson. "It's a forward-thinking, fast-moving thing."

The commercial featuring Alexander will run until Dec. 1.

Alexander, who graduated in October, will be flying UH-60 BlackHawks, his helicopter of choice. His next duty station will be Giebelstadt, Germany, working with 12th Aviation Brigade.

Overall, Alexander described his flight school experience with a smile.

"A really big motivator for me was I would always think to myself, 'Learning to fly in the outside world would take thousands of dollars, and I'm actually getting paid to do this,'" said Alexander. "It's not a bad deal."

source
0 Replies