The Crack that Lets the Light In

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 02:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
If there are no gods...fine. Then that is the way nature goes.

If there is at least one god...also fine. Then that is the way the god decided nature would go
thus there seems to be no need for a god either way.

THERE ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY SEEMS TO BE NO NEED FOR A GOD UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATEVER!

That is a position I have taken on every occasion where I have posted on this topic in this forum.

FOR CERTAIN THERE IS NO NEED FOR A GOD.

What does that have to do with what I am saying, FM?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 03:18 am
On Agnosticism

by Jack May

Quote:
In an age simultaneously still reeling from the decline of religion and one in which science has yet to fully deliver on its promises, it seems to me agnosticism is surely the only mature response. Both theism and its opposite certainly have their merits and bright ideas; Lord above knows I’ve dabbled in both, myself, over the years. However, I think it’s time that we stop making a habit of claiming to know the answers to the great mysteries of life when it’s obvious that we don’t, and, at least for the foreseeable future, can’t. Fundamentalists on both sides have always caused more trouble than those playing host to a simple set of potentially false beliefs should.

Is there a god? The fact is, we just don’t know. We may have beautifully constructed and convincing ideas, but they are just that: ideas and opinions. And I believe the time has come to be honest about this fact. To me, it is obvious that the problem runs deeper than the answer to this one question, as important as the question is. The attitude of certainty when certainty is not warranted has always been a major cause of trouble in human relations. Human history is riddled with conflict propagated by those at all points on the political and religious spectrums. The refusal to recognize that beliefs are just beliefs—and the refusal to respect the beliefs of others, regardless of their content, be they political or spiritual—has, for all time, wreaked havoc on human life the world over. Beliefs of various kinds defended at any cost resulted in over 108 million recorded wartime deaths during the twentieth century alone. This is not to mention the additional numbers added to this total in the more domestic disputes around the world.

The problem is the acknowledgement of uncertainty doesn’t seem to sit right alongside the human condition. We seem to have this hell-bent desire to fit ourselves into neatly packed boxes. I am a theist, or I am an atheist. I am a Christian, or I am a Muslim. I am a liberal, or I am a conservative. I am this, or I am that, but I’m certainly not both, and I’m sure as hell not neither. It takes a brave person to sit in the middle and take it all in.

It seems that people who are wise enough to say “I don’t know” are attacked as a fence-sitters. If they don’t profess to know things that they don’t know, then they are simply dismissed as too gutless to make a decision. They are wishy-washy and not to be taken seriously. They have no firm and potentially false opinions to batter their opponents over the head with, so they are not worth humoring. Tolerance and respect have never made for good TV. While atheists and theists alike perform all sorts of mental gymnastics to make their opinions appear as facts, the agnostic is relegated to a position of unimportance. They are assumed to have nothing to offer the conversation. I tend to disagree.

Belief is belief and needs to be acknowledged as such, regardless of which direction it leans. The fact of one’s beliefs does not make one’s beliefs fact. The search for truth is a noble quest and must be taken seriously. Both atheists and theists have, without a doubt, the right idea when it comes to the search in that, first and foremost, the search must take place. Both positions require at least a little bit of seeking. Unfortunately, however, the truth is unexciting. The truth is that, currently, we don’t know. It’s a boring truth, and it’s a truth that I wish wasn’t so. I wish we had the answer, because it is fascinating either way; unfortunately, we don’t. And there is no need to pretend we do.

We, as people, hold our beliefs dear—and rightly so. They provide comfort in a tumultuous world. But I propose loosening the reins, acknowledging belief as belief rather than fact, and acknowledging that we are all traveling this big and scary universe together. Frankly, none of us really knows what we’re doing here.

I propose agnosticism. I propose humility in the face of the big questions as a remedy to some of our many societal ills. I propose an acknowledgement of “I don’t know” and the welcoming of the common ground that will reveal itself to us under its unassuming guise.

As I said before, the issue runs deep. It is not just a question of whether there is or is not a god—although this is, of course, a fascinating question. It is an issue of how we will choose, as a human race together on one planet, to relate to one another. Can we learn to say that we’re not sure of something and be open to the ideas of others? Can the Left learn to respect the Right and vice versa? Can we disagree with the principles but love the person? Can we even go as far as to disagree with the principles but be open to changing our minds? How many times in our lives have we been wrong? Too many to count. And this is, of course, okay. Nobody learns by being right all the time. What kind of world do we want to live in? Do we want to claim a god of peace and then kill in its name? Or do we really want peace? Can we be willing to drop the labels and allow our children to grow in a world of freedom? Can we learn to express our views without having the desire to convert by force and without the fear of persecution?

An attitude of agnosticism, regardless of the actual belief lurking behind it, can save us all. An attitude of open-mindedness, tolerance, and respect is the answer. Not tolerance for its own sake; I’m not pushing an agenda of passivity but rather a true acknowledgement that, if we’re honest, we do not know the answers to the great mysteries of life. We do not know the cause of the cosmos or the cause of consciousness. We cannot grasp the complexities of the hearts and minds of others. There is so much to be learned; it is exciting. But until we have learned it, let’s not pretend. Let us live in excited anticipation of the future knowledge that may or may not come and lean into the discomfort of the uncertainty. Let us all acknowledge our biases, our intolerance, our self-justification, and false pretenses. And as we move forward, let us learn together, grow together, and stand together in a new and improved, agnostically inclined, Brotherhood of Confusion.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 03:46 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

On Agnosticism

by Jack May

Certainly the way I feel about this issue.
hightor

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 03:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
I thought you'd like that article, Frank. Very Happy And he definitely covers some of the points you've made, tirelessly, over the years.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 04:06 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I thought you'd like that article, Frank. Very Happy And he definitely covers some of the points you've made, tirelessly, over the years.

It is gratifying to hear someone else say those things as well as Jack May did in this essay. Thanks for posting it, Hightor.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 05:35 am
Agnostics seem to me more of a mixed bag than theists and atheists. More varied in the reasons for seeing it their way. As I have repeatedly said, it doesn't disturb me that theists and agnostics exist. My plea is that they allow atheists to exist.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 06:52 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Agnostics seem to me more of a mixed bag than theists and atheists. More varied in the reasons for seeing it their way. As I have repeatedly said, it doesn't disturb me that theists and agnostics exist. My plea is that they allow atheists to exist.

Most theists and agnostic that I know are perfectly content to allow atheists to exist. I certainly am. You ought to rein in that paranoia.

But if a theist says to me, "There is a GOD"...I let that theist know I expect him/her to meet the burden of proof that assertion demands...even though I doubt the individual can meet that burden.

So too with the atheists who assert, "There are no gods."

That is not unreasonable.

You can, however, continue to hide from the situation, Edgar. That is your right.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 07:30 am
I am tolerant that agnostics will post here. This is however a thread by and for atheists. That I don't endlessly respond to agnostics should be understandable.
hightor

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 08:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
"God exists."
"There is no god."

While neither of these statements can meet any burden of proof, I do think there's a qualitative difference between the statements. Asserting the existence of something which can not be proven – or even meaningfully defined – is categorically different from statements about the existence of anything else. Denying the existence of something for which there is no evidence seems totally gratuitous, a verbal curiosity. No, I don't believe in a "personal supreme being" but there is no reason for me to justify that lack of belief. Nor is there any reason to debate the claims of believers based on faith, cultural tradition, or scripture – although the interpretation and historical analysis of scripture is fair game. I'm just glad that I never wholeheartedly subscribed to belief in god, and that agnostics showed me that denying its existence is unnecessary.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 09:50 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am tolerant that agnostics will post here. This is however a thread by and for atheists. That I don't endlessly respond to agnostics should be understandable.

That is just wonderful that you are tolerant, Edgar. You must be very proud of yourself for your "tolerance."

There are NO threads that are just FOR atheists here in A2K. Posting a thread is an invitation to ALL to participate.

If there were one BY an atheist just for atheists...it would be a rather cowardly move. It would be a kind of acknowledgement that the creator of the thread is afraid of hearing dissenting opinions. And I doubt any intelligent atheist looking to create a cowardly thread only FOR atheists would title it, The Crack that Lets the Light In. That would not only be cowardly, it would be stupid, because there is no way to know such a thread was intended only FOR atheists.

Lastly, I doubt any thread only FOR atheists would start with the OP opening that this one has...which actually invites others in.

Really sorry you are not reading my comments, Edgar. You might enjoy the pithy content.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 09:53 am
All articles and posts lauding agnosticism as the one reasonable stance have one thing in common. All are produced by agnostics. Wowsers. What a shock.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 10:08 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

"God exists."
"There is no god."

While neither of these statements can meet any burden of proof, I do think there's a qualitative difference between the statements. Asserting the existence of something which can not be proven – or even meaningfully defined – is categorically different from statements about the existence of anything else. Denying the existence of something for which there is no evidence seems totally gratuitous, a verbal curiosity. No, I don't believe in a "personal supreme being" but there is no reason for me to justify that lack of belief. Nor is there any reason to debate the claims of believers based on faith, cultural tradition, or scripture – although the interpretation and historical analysis of scripture is fair game. I'm just glad that I never wholeheartedly subscribed to belief in god, and that agnostics showed me that denying its existence is unnecessary.

I agree, Hightor.

On a personal note, my move from theism (committed Catholic) to agnosticism was rather abrupt...and at no point did I ever consider atheism, as it was known at that time. (An atheist was pretty much defined back then as, "someone who denies that any gods exist." When I made my move, it was motivated by the realization that I could not KNOW for certain if there was a GOD...nor could I KNOW the true nature of that GOD...what pleased it and what offended it. Some of the stuff I was being fed seemed contradictory; the "I do not know" became paramount to me.

One thing I, personally, have noticed about the difference between the two statements (assertions) is a bit different from what you mentioned...and it is something I have spoken to often.

The assertion, "There is at least one god" (God exists) actually has the quality of POSSIBLY being answered for certain. IF a GOD exists (a big IF)...it should be capable of revealing its existence with no ambiguity at all. If it could create EXISTENCE and all the physical features of it...revealing itself should be a piece of cake. In short, there is at least the potential to meet the burden of proof for that assertion.

BUT...the other assertion "There are no gods" is so comprehensive and of such universality, that in order to "prove" it, one would have to be a god...which, of course, would disprove it.

"There are no gods" is an assertion that should never be made. I have no real problem with people who do make the assertion...just as I have no problem with people who make the opposite assertion, "There is a GOD." Each person can "believe" what they want...or guess which ever way they want. Fine with me. But in a discussion forum, if either assertion is made, I discuss it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 12:14 pm
😵‍💫🙄

Just how many more times will the same points of view be written about this topic. Nothing new is being added and nothing worthwhile is being gained here. To say the least, it’s been going on for years….no…decades.

God help us all!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 12:24 pm
@Ragman,
I'm trying to have a decent thread without it. There are always those who can't allow a good thing to proceed.
Ragman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 12:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Understand the dilemma. My comment wasn’t directed toward you.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 12:35 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

😵‍💫🙄

Just how many more times will the same points of view be written about this topic. Nothing new is being added and nothing worthwhile is being gained here. To say the least, it’s been going on for years….no…decades.

God help us all!

I guess until they are understood...and perhaps acknowledged.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 12:36 pm
@Ragman,
I know. Unfortunately, this forum doesn't allow us to weed out the dross. But I'm not ready to give it up.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 12:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I'm trying to have a decent thread without it. There are always those who can't allow a good thing to proceed.

You are trying to have a decent thread??? Without having debate on a contentious issue like this.

C'mon!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 12:37 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Understand the dilemma. My comment wasn’t directed toward you.

To whom what it directed?

Usually comments directed to someone specifically are actually directed to them. You do realize that, right?
Ragman

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 06:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Can you sing a new song?
How’s your golf game?