The Crack that Lets the Light In

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 12:27 pm
The crack being atheism.
I'm not giving up on having a thread for atheists. Friendly voices of all persuasions are welcome. Just check arguing notions at the door. I am interested in knowing who else is an atheist and how life is treating you.

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 01:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
I’m an agnostic so I’m being bold by my self-inflicted spouting. I can’t know what is unknowable. I’m going to die eventually but seriously doubt I’ll ‘know’ anything after that because I’ll be busy being dead. After all, at that point I’ll be dead and without a body. What will be left to have any impact without a body is unknown. Electrical impulses without any cohesion. Hmmmm!?

I refuse all the handwringing and “god-botherers”. Not my cup of tea. Only trouble I see is Agnostic and Atheists have no holidays…yet!
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 01:32 pm
As I have stated elsewhere, atheists don't need a reason to be atheists. Our reasoning can be intellectual, but it can also be very private. I've stated my case elsewhere on page one of this locked thread. https://able2know.org/topic/569276-1
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 01:33 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks for your input, rags.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 01:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, of course there's no definitive answer to whether there is a god, but I tend to believe there isn't one. Some people refer to 'the universe' or 'spirit guides' and other such things, but I have a hefty skepticism in anything spiritual, including God.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 02:04 pm
@Mame,
Many of us keep our skepticism hidden in our daily lives to avoid complications. I keep it mum mostly, except when cornered.
Mame

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 02:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, I rarely discuss religion, abortion, vaccinations, and other contentious issues. Mostly because I just don't care what other people think or believe. None of it really matters.
thack45

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 02:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Bertrand Russell wrote:
I ought to call myself an agnostic; but, for all practical purposes, I am an atheist.

That pretty well sums it up for me these days. And really I'm only atheist in the face of theism. So I guess I'm not so much an atheist, rather, that is how others might want to classify me.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 04:02 pm
@thack45,
I can sort of see the agnostic position. But I couldn't be agnostic if I tried. I was hardwired from early childhood. Nothing I have experienced or read about has been able to dislodge any of it because it's who I am.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 04:07 pm
@thack45,
In 1967 or 68 I was commuting between Manhattan and Brooklyn. Bertrand Russell's autobiography was still pretty new. I was reading my copy of it when an older man with a heavy black beard leaned his head between me and the page I was reading. He looked saddened, shook his head and resumed minding his business. I took it in stride and read on.
0 Replies

ascribbler

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 06:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
But I couldn't be agnostic if I tried.

https://preview.redd.it/vaalncufnjz11.jpg?auto=webp&s=403ccd053a337fa7de8abec1c7001403cd77cab0

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 07:28 pm
@ascribbler,
See, that's an opinion you are allowed to have.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 09:00 pm
What sets my determination in these discussions is that people insist an atheist has no right to be a real atheist. As I said earlier, I don't even need a reason to be one. Like Topsy, I just growed.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 May, 2022 01:18 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I’m an agnostic so I’m being bold by my self-inflicted spouting. I can’t know what is unknowable. I’m going to die eventually but seriously doubt I’ll ‘know’ anything after that because I’ll be busy being dead. After all, at that point I’ll be dead and without a body. What will be left to have any impact without a body is unknown. Electrical impulses without any cohesion. Hmmmm!?

I refuse all the handwringing and “god-botherers”. Not my cup of tea. Only trouble I see is Agnostic and Atheists have no holidays…yet!

Excellent post, Ragman.

Edgar seems to think that atheists are put upon by non-atheists...and that "people" insist that "an atheist has no right to be a real atheist."

For the most part, that is preposterous. Most people have no trouble with people calling themselves atheists. I certainly have no problem with that.

The trouble begins when someone INSISTS there are no gods. That is appreciably NO DIFFERENT from someone who INSISTS there IS A GOD.

Edgar gets all upset when I call him on this. And for the most part, he is not willing to discuss the issue with me...mostly because I suspect he sees the logic of my position.

I will never stop challenging people who claim "there are no gods"...just as I will never stop challenging people who claim "there is a GOD."

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2022 05:15 am
Even Frank and his guesses can post here.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 4 May, 2022 05:22 am
I remember when I was a little kid and finally accepted the arguments against the existence of Santa Claus. It didn't take me long to apply the same reasoning to the "God" story. But I maintained faith in the Easter rabbit for a while longer – those brightly colored eggs were solid evidence of its existence!
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2022 05:30 am
@hightor,
What about the tooth fairy? Smile
hightor

Reply Wed 4 May, 2022 05:42 am
@edgarblythe,
You mean that's a fraud too???
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 May, 2022 06:05 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I remember when I was a little kid and finally accepted the arguments against the existence of Santa Claus. It didn't take me long to apply the same reasoning to the "God" story. But I maintained faith in the Easter rabbit for a while longer – those brightly colored eggs were solid evidence of its existence!

Are you also asserting that there are no gods, Hightor?

If you are, you, as with Edgar, are merely asserting a guess...just like our currently militant theists are asserting their guesses that a GOD exists.

Here is my position (posted several times already). Please tell me what you see objectionable or illogical about it...and which part you see to be a guess:

I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;
I see no reason to suspect that gods cannot exist…that the existence of a GOD or gods is impossible;
I see no reason to suspect that at least one GOD must exist...that the existence of at least one GOD is needed to explain existence;
I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction on whether any gods exist or not...so I don't.

(When I use the word "GOD or gods" here, I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST.)

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2022 06:08 am
@hightor,
WE never believed in Santa Claus because we could easily see the neighbor kids with the piles of loot compared with our five and dime ****. We watched our Mom color the eggs. I was jaded by the time we got to the tooth fairy.