Have you ever met anyone famous?

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:20 am
met Stephen J Gould a number of times, and Bob Bakker (who is a complete loon) Do scientists count?
I once said hello to Stephen King in a restaurant in Bangor. I also was in a bidding war for a painting betwen me and richard Crenna. He got the painting. Then he died a few months later. Dont never F**K with me , allow me to introduce myself...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:59 am
Material Girl, If you want to see people who are people you have to come to New York.

The Upper West Side is crawling with the usual suspects: the actors from the Law and Order Shows, whichever star is shooting the movie around the corner and you stumble over music people with the same regularity as homeless people. And it's very difficult to tell the difference.

We've sat in restaurants next to Rosie, drank standing at the same bar as Helen Hunt and bumped into Rick Moranis three times in three weeks, but I think he was stalking us. Peter MacNicol dined alone at Docks the night of my last birthday.

People who are people come into the store all the time. I waited on this woman with a lisp about a year ago. The lisp drove me crazy. Where had I heard it? Then she gave me her credit card-- Holly Hunter. What eyes!!

I made the famous Mr. Ocasek laugh when I told him that crossword puzzle makers were very grateful to him. 41Down: CARS SINGER.

Oh and yes, and Paulina is stunningly beautiful.

I spent a number of minutes with Rue McClanahan of the Golden Girls trying to find the right size stopper for her bathroom sink and once Matt Lauer needed a three way Verilux bulb. Excitement I tell you.

None of this qualifies as meeting someone as in : having a conversation with. { Note to my friend Mike- No. Yelling "You are so hot!" at Madonna while one of her bodyguards chews off one of your sneakers and she yells "***K Offf!!" does not constitute a conversation.}

I think the most famous person I ever had dinner with was Dyslexia, but the evening was overshadowed by Frank(Watch me drill a hole in this sidewalk with my forehead)Apisa.

Btw : My wife is in the fashion business. She has seen all the supermodels naked, but refuses to share any details. None. Apparently, most of them are humanoids.

Joe(Could we have a table that is not next to anybody who's anybody?)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:01 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention. I had sex with Madonna once.

Only once? How restrained.

Joe(I've been restrained by a few myself)Nation
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:04 am
Bet Madonna likes being restrained!!!

I love Peter McNicol.He is such a great actor and yet for some reason I never really watched Ally McBeal.But I loved him in Ghostbusters 2.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:22 am
He's friends with my best friend, but we didn't want to bother him. Eating alone is sometimes a great pleasure.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:47 am
My first experience was delivering flowers near the set of Far and Away. Said Hi to Tom and Nicole as they relaxed between takes.

Met Alex Baldwin at a Shad Fest. Sort of bumped into him at the food table and blurted out "you're not as tall as I thought", duh! Anyways wasn't impressed with him close-up. Said hello to Chevy Chase and another actor from Miami Vice at same festival.

A friend of mine lived next door to The Edge's (U2) mother and while visiting her we spotted The Edge and Bono waving to us over the garden fence and had a wee chat. Real normal.

I threw Robert Kennedy out of my employers house as I didn't recognise him. He thought it was funny when he came back for dinner that evening and teased me over it.

I'm not especially impressed with meeting famous people, or so I thought until I met John F. Kennedy Jr. At an environmental thingie I was getting a chair massage when who should I discover is sitting in the next chair getting a massage beside me? John Junior. Nearly passed out from hyperventilating. He was GEORGOUS. A fine specimen of a man and very pleasant to coversate with (although don't ask me what was said, I couldn't concentrate).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:16 am
I went to school and played basketball with the Greatest Running Back to Ever Play in the NFL.

I strolled alongside John Thompson (basketball coach) at Ceaser's in Vegas (wondered who the huge man walking next to me was, and looked up), and sat next to Jake "The Snake" Plummer (football quarterback) at an airport in Boise. Didn't really "meet" either one, though.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 11:47 am
I worked with a few famous folk in my years of stage managing. Matthew Broderick, Ellen Burstyn, and Polly (Kiss My Grits) Holliday were in a play together. I was a lowly assistant stage manager for that one.

Keir Dullea had a beard for the play we did and was unrecognizable. He shaved it off for the closing party and all of a sudden, I was in the room with Dave himself.

From my one memorable (shudder) summer of summer stock: June Lockhart in an excellent little drama called The William. Cathy Rigby and husband in They're Playing Our Song. Donna Pescow and Joey (John's brother) Travolta in Guys and Dolls. A couple more I can't remember. (Hey! It was 21 years ago...)

Worked with a few famous writers too: Eudora Welty, Horton Foote, Edward Albee, Eve Ensler. Jim Lehrer tried his hand at playwriting and had a couple of his plays produced at the theatre where I was working.

Very brief encounters with Imogene Coca, Mandy Patinkin, Susan Lucci - probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 11:49 am
I met Jesus once't . . . course, i was trippin' at the time, an' di'n't really have much to say to the boy . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:08 pm
Too many to name. When one is in TV and radio, them things occur. They are just people, however, and one man that I met at Mountain Lake, was even shy, and so was I.<smile>
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:14 pm
Shewolf met BOB SAGET????!!!

One of my favorite obscure celebrities and a favorite reference for ironic purposes.

Dragon--Pharell Williams is basically the biggest hip-hop producer out there now...super talented.

Only "celebrity" I can think of meeting is Jack McDowell, who used to pitch for the White Sox and then the Yankees.

He was an all-star pitcher who made headlines once for flipping off the crowd at Yankee stadium after a bad outing. Cool.

I didn't realize that it was him until later. Met him at a bar. He was in Chicago touring with his indie rock band. He just looked like a regular dude, except tall. He came along with me and my friends to a punkrock biker bar. He rode in the back seat of my car. He was a really down to earth dude, and a peripheral character in my childhood obsession with major league baseball, which has since faded somewhat.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:18 pm
Gargamel wrote:
BOB SAGET????!!!

thats his name....>sigh< alzheimers sucks

yeah. He is exactly the same in person.. just.. reallllly nice. !!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:31 pm
What's funny about him is that he was such a wholesome television personality, but apparently his standup comedy was frickin' perverted. I saw him do standup on TV, talking about masturbation and whatnot. It wasn't right.

He has a hilarious cameo appearance in the movie "Half Baked," where he attends some NA meeting (some kind of meeting), raises his hand and tells everyone, "I sucked dick for coke!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:33 pm
I met a lot of famous people when I took hospital admission xrays (they did that back then, looking for tb) at a hospital in Santa Monica that routinely had actors treated there; when I was a cashier at that hospital; when I was a med assistant in a prominent md's office in west LA; when I was a lab tech... big names. But I don't think it's appropriate to name the people, re the fact that their health situations are not my business to tell.

But, other than that, one runs into the famous around the west side of Los Angeles all the time. So, I was with a friend when Mohammed Ali came out of Napoleon's bakery and she gasped in wonder and he kissed her hand, upon which time she nearly fainted. Ran into Arnold Schwarzenegger almost literally, as he was coming out of a cafe and I was going in.
Was at a fete for donors at UCLA and listened to a description of a new hospital along side Eva Marie Saint. (Donors, hah, I just gave the med center a painting.) Met Jane Powell on a studio stage when I was a teen and my dad worked at the studio. Met Edward Teller when I went to the campus Newman club for his talk one evening, and there were only about six people there. Stood next to Donald Sutherland at the Bel Air hotel dining room once. I'm sure I'll think of a lot more after I post this.

Anyway, it's all routine in that part of the city; if you go out your door at all, you'll be seeing people who are known to the wider world.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:45 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Dragon--Pharell Williams is basically the biggest hip-hop producer out there now...super talented.

and a very down to earth guy. he is extremely nice, although i am not a huge fan of his music. one of the only songs i really liked was beautiful. drop it like's its hot didn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

Bob Sagett???

and wait did someone say bob barker the price is right guy???
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:59 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Bill and Hillary Clinton, ( book signings )

Willie nelson,( he lives here in austin. Everyone sees him all the time )

Sandra bullock( she lives here as well. Saw her in a bar )
Madonna( about a one minute hand shake. she signed my hand.. said a few things and was on her way.. Northern California) ,

Jay Leno, ( in his car. quick hi,hand shake etc..Northern California )

And.. I dont remember his name. But he used to host the show Americas Funniest Home Videos.. ??
Anyways, I saw him in Albq where he lives several times. Shook his hand once , he was as corny and bland in person as he was on tv. Shocked but a VERY nice man.
I think him and Madonna were the 2 nicest celebs I have ever met.

Have you ever officially met Leslie Cochran?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:02 pm
I have a younger brother who is famous, at least in astronomy. He has an interplanetary body named after him (an IAU designation). He has many subtle ways of reminding me that I'm not.

Fame is subjective so the most famous person I met was when I was 4 years old. It was a railroad engineer and I got to sit in the engine cab while it tooled around the switching yard for about 15 minutes. Talk about heaven...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:13 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
I have a younger brother who is famous, at least in astronomy. He has an interplanetary body named after him (an IAU designation). He has many subtle ways of reminding me that I'm not.

For $54 (plus shipping and handling) you too can have a celestial body named after you. Then there'd be one less thing he could lord over his big brother. Wink

LINK
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:20 pm
Tico Thanks Very Happy , as soon as I pay down my cerdit card ....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:15 pm
i once pulled out president vaclav havel drunk out of thorn bushes at 5 or 6 in the morning. few years before he was a president though. And my father made me tap dance for Shirley Temple - she was the american ambassador for czechoslovakia.
0 Replies