Have you ever met anyone famous?

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:08 pm
Dys wrote:
I met dagmaraka, in fact, I think I bought her a beer

We have a winner! I was going to talk about my fishing trip with Elvis Presley, Jim Morrison, and Jimi Hendrix. Just the four of us, good fishin' buddies, fishing mountain streams.

But then Dys comes along and mentions that he met dagmaraka.

I guess I'll keep quiet now.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:26 pm
keep that sarcasm to yourself, ole hag, or i'll track down all of your relatives while i'm in vienna and have them meet me too. dys has not recovered yet.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:29 pm
I don't believe anyone has ever called me an ole hag before.

I'll have to check my records.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:15 pm
When johnboy was, a long time ago, a CPA, he spent a summer doing audits of small Saving and Loans in Geogia. A lot of evenings to kill in sleepy little towns. It happened to be the summer when Jimmy Carter was running for governor, so I ended up at small town fairgrounds, hearing the same speech over and over again, and eating chicken and ham over and over again. I liked him then and love him now.
I rode in an elevator with Nelson Rockeller when he was running for president. One aide by his side. No security patrol. Like most of us in elevators, talking stopped. Everyone seemed to be focused on the lights indicating what floor we were at. Why is there the elevator silence?
I live now in a part of the country where a goodly number of celebs live. But it is considered to be in poor taste here to make a big thing about their fame. So I can't mention names.
True story: William Faulkner lived here for a number of years. I ran into him many times. There was a guy here in town who looked a lot like WF, and enjoyed the hell out of folks coming up to him asking for his autograph. -rjb-
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 01:12 am
littlek wrote:
Members of REM...

Which ones, do you remember, k? Michael Stipe, maybe? I've been a REM fan for yonks!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 02:03 am
I met dys!! I had breakfast with him!!
I have also had fleeting conversations with various British authors because of going to our local literary festival. David Lodge, Malcolm Bradbury, Penelope Lively ... but they may not be known much elsewhere. Oh, and in Hong Kong all the local politicians and governor Chris Patten etc.

My son for his first job, working in the 4 Seasons NY, got to meet all kinds of celebs, gave dogfood to Oprah's dogs, served Bill Clinton at dinner with Madeleine Albright, even took Angelina Jolie breakfast in bed.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:59 am
MsOlga, Michael Stipe and Mike Mills were the two I saw out. I wouldn't recognize the third one, probably. Michael is more, hmmm, cautious about socializing than Mike is (or so it seemed from my perspective). He did talk to me about my tattoo once before I knew who he was. And, Mike was friends with my then boss. I actually lost a bet of $5 to Mike. He bet my friend wouldn't make the pool shot she was going for, I bet in her favor.

Oh yeah! I 'met' George Carlin at a book signing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:51 am
littlek wrote:
MsOlga, Michael Stipe and Mike Mills were the two I saw out.

Ooooooooooooooh! Exciting! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:54 am
<grin>
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:19 pm
Set wrote:
One of the guys i went to high school with became a regionally famous disc jockey.

i am Regionally famous in my own write...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:56 pm
(ten points, Reg!)

You don't want to hear (again) that I knew the fellow who started the Rosary Crusade in the fifties, do you?
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 05:23 pm
I've met:
Dwayne Chambers (olympic gold-medallist runner, was opening some sports thing at the local shopping centre)
Tim Campbell (winner of the Apprentice UK, presented my awards at school prize giving!)
West Ham football team in 2002 (can't remember their names but they opened my school!)

None of these people are really "celebrities" but they're the closest I've got!
0 Replies

cyanine

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:53 am
never
Sad
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 07:07 am
I'm in advertising and have met loads of models and models who became actors. Then I spent several years in theatre and met loads of stage actors and several movie and tv actors who take to the stage.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 10:19 am
eoe, care to drop a name or three? Very Happy
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 10:53 am
Because I am a lighting designer in the entertainment business, I meet them everyday.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 11:55 am
we live up heeyuh in bahstin, where the only famous types are athaletes.

so we play "pseudo-celebrity spotting".
the other day i saw pseudo-shannen doherty on the bus...
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:25 pm
Oh, in an Antiguan supermarket I asked a chap where he got the yogurt. My husband nearly had an apoplectic fit when he realised it was Eric Clapton. 'Who?' I asked.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:52 pm
Clary once had breakfast with Dyslexia (you can read all about in her soon to be published book)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:56 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
eoe, care to drop a name or three? Very Happy

Okay. Three. Cindy Crawford, Halle Berry, Gregory Peck.
0 Replies