'Fund The Police': Joe Biden discusses efforts to address (crime prevention)

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 12:05 pm
'Fund The Police': Joe Biden discusses efforts to address (crime prevention)

President Biden discussed efforts to address crime across the country and said the solution was to
fund police, not "defund the police," but also called for the country to "hold law enforcement
accountable."

Mar 1, 2022

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 12:38 pm
Biden campaigned on police reform, not adding more money and power to the police.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 02:31 pm
https://truthout.org/articles/bidens-2023-budget-could-have-made-child-care-free-instead-it-boosts-police/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=b3dbe01a-e79e-45f8-add7-21a2c883ce46
a close look at Biden’s latest proposed budget makes clear the only future our children will inherit is one with a bloated military budget, racist policing, widespread indebtedness and an uninhabitable planet.

Consider violent policing and surveillance: Despite a sensible and growing call by organizers around the country to defund police by redirecting resources from militarized, anti-Black police departments to programs like free transit, health care infrastructure or wellness resources, Biden is doubling down on his not-so-data-driven “tough on crime” approach — sending the police even more federal money than before. Biden’s 2023 budget would allocate at least $30 billion in new police spending — a gut punch to the millions of voices around the country that have decried the enormous spending on police departments, especially since the police-perpetrated murder of George Floyd.

Under the false guise of “security,” Biden claimed the answer is “not to defund our police departments” but “to fund our police and give them all the tools they need.” Los Angeles County and New York City, the highest-funded law enforcement jurisdictions, show exactly what happens when you give police more money: they spend it doing more of what they have always done. They buy more military equipment, they do more surveillance, they arrest and brutalize more people.

A mountain of evidence dating back decades shows efforts to “community police” or increase police accountability and transparency with materials like body cameras are simply not ways to reduce crime. In fact, more police resources have never meant better outcomes. In 2001, research from 200 empirical studies of policing and crime rates found increased policing to be among the weakest links to reducing crime and improving life. The strongest predictors of crime were resource deprivation, poverty and family disruption. And further, what reduced crime with much greater efficacy than increased policing was increased solidarity, shared goals and common projects in a neighborhood. Studies have similarly shown a dramatic correlation between crime reduction and increased access to health care.

Biden’s 2023 budget would allocate at least $30 billion in new police spending — a gut punch to the millions of voices around the country that have decried the enormous spending on police departments.
(Even so, we must be careful in any discussion of the effects on “crime” rates from policing or anything else. As Alec Karakatsanis has effectively argued, the definition of crime itself often goes unexamined in these discussions, and is framed in such a way as to tilt the scale toward police and enforcement. If we could instead quantify harm independent of “crime,” we would likely see an even stronger case against more police and for “programs of social uplift,” to borrow a phrase from Dr. King.)

Organizers have been abundantly clear on this for decades, arguing that shoveling money into a violent, repressive, racist system is never going to make it less violent, repressive or racist — and that goes for the military, too.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 02:42 pm
The following is a full word for word (transcript) of Joe Biden's speech in the video:

I RECENTLY VISITED NEW YORK CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT DAYS AFTER THE FUNERALS OF OFFICER WILBERT MORA AND HIS PARTNER OFFICER JASON RIVERA. THEY WERE RESPONDING TO A 911 CALL WHEN A MAN SHOT AND KILLED THEM, WITH A STOLEN GUN.

OFFICER MORA WAS 27 YEARS OLD. OFFICER RIVERA WAS 22 YEARS OLD. BOTH DOMINICAN AMERICANS WHO GREW UP IN THE SAME STREETS, THAT THEY LATER CHOSE TO A PATROL AS POLICE OFFICERS. I SPOKE WITH THEIR FAMILIES. I TOLD THEM THAT WE WERE FOREVER IN DEBT FOR THEIR SACRIFICES. WE'LL CARRY ON THEIR MISSION TO RESTORE THE TRUST AND SAFETY IN EVERY COMMUNITY IT DESERVES.

LIKE SOME OF YOU WHO'VE BEEN AROUND FOR A WHILE. I'VE WORK WITH YOU ON THESE ISSUES FOR A LONG TIME. I KNOW WHAT WORKS. INVESTIGATING CRIME PREVENTION AND COMMUNITY POLICING. COPS WHO WALK THE BEAT. WHO KNOW THE NEIGHBORHOOD. WHO CAN RESTORE TRUST AND SAFETY. LET'S NOT ABANDON OUR STREETS, OR CHOOSE BETWEEN SAFETY AND EQUAL JUSTICE. LET'S COME TOGETHER PROTECT OUR COMMUNITIES. RESTORE TRUST. AND HOLD LAW ENFORCEMENT
ACCOUNTABLE.

THAT'S WHY THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT HAS REQUIRED BODY CAMERAS, BAN CHOKEHOLDS, AND RESTRICTED NO KNOCK WARRANTS FOR ITS OFFICERS.

THAT'S WHY THE AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN THAT YOU ALL PROVIDED 350 BILLION DOLLARS. THAT'S CITIES, STATES, AND COUNTIES CAN USE TO HIRE MORE POLICE. CAN USE TO HIRE MORE POLICE. INVEST IN MORE PROVEN STRATEGIES.

PROVEN STRATEGIES, LIKE COMMUNITY VIOLENCE INTERUPTION, TRUSTED MESSENGERS. BREAKING THE CYCLE OF VIOLENCE AND TRAUMA. GIVING YOUNG PEOPLE SOME HOPE.

WE SHOULD ALL AGREE, THE ANSWER IS NOT TO DEFUND THE POLICE. IT'S TO FUND THE POLICE. FUND THEM. FUND THEM.

FUND THEM WITH RESOURCES AND TRAINING. RESOURCES AND TRAING THEY NEED TO PROTECT OUR COMMUNITIES.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 03:04 pm
1. After reading the transcript and hearing Joe Biden's speech in full context, I wouldn't change a word.

2. I strongly recommend that all democrats run on this message, within the full context of the message.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 03:08 pm
@Real Music,
What a surprise.
Real Music

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 03:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why would that be a surprise?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 03:40 pm
@Real Music,
I haven't seen where a mainstream Democrat has objected to a single thing Biden has done or said since he was nominated to run. Anything that gets pointed out just gets a cover-up.
Real Music

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 04:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
1. Please don't misinterpret my views.

2. Yes, I definitely believe that bad cops should be held accountable when they do bad things.

3. I also believe that we currently need to hire more cops.

4. When I say we currently need to hire more cops, I am referring to hiring more good cops.

5. I am all for weeding out the bad cops.

6. I am all for better training in how cops deal with the public.

7. I am all for cops getting better training in race relations, civil liberties, and various other issues involving interactions with the public.

8. When criminals break into homes, I hope the cops catch that criminal in the act.

9. When criminals break into mailboxes, I hope the cops catch that criminal in the act.

10. When criminals steal fuel from someone's car, I hope the cops catch that criminal in the act.

11. When criminals steal Catalytic Converters from someone's car, I hope the cops catch that criminal in the act.

12. When criminals steal copper wire, I hope the cops catch that criminals in the act.

13. Cops can't be everywhere at the same time, but I believe more cops will be beneficial.

14. I am referring to hiring more good cops, not the bad cops.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 04:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
1. For the record, I was never comfortable with the phrase "Defund the Police"

2. That phrase actually makes me cringe. The first time I heard that phrase, the hair on the back of my neck stood up.

3. I don't have any problem with the phrase "Reform the Police" or "Police Reform"
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 04:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
1. Also, there is no place for racist cops on any police force.

2. Racist cops are bad for the public, bad for the community, and bad for the police.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 04:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
1. I consider myself to be a mainstream democrat.

2. There is no politician on the planet, that I would agree with 100 percent of the time.

3. It doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to be pointing it out every time it occurs

4. Especially, if I agree with that person or that political party most of the time.

5. On the other hand, if I disagree with that person or that political party most of the time, I will surely point that out frequently and often.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2022 10:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
1. Please don't misread my post as an attack against you, because that is not the case at all.

2. It is my hope that you have a better understanding of what my stance is on this issue.

3. I felt the best way of giving you a better understanding of my point of view was by explaining my stance
in some type of (context).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2022 08:23 am
Shaun King
88 tmm1mi38an62sarm4 ·
Colorado police be like: unless the whole world is talking, there is no need to go digging a hole for ourselves/and even after the names of the slain are buzzwords trending in the ether/we don’t have to be in such a haste to waste precious resources on incriminating ourselves/give ‘the people’ time to settle themselves/eventually their outrage will quell to dust/and if they refuse to calm themselves, remember, we have access to the armory that can quiet the loudest agitator among them.

HEADLINE: Colorado has over 2,000 complaints about police misconduct -- and no money to investigate them - via Raw Story
…and where, oh where did all the taxpayers’ dollars go?/perhaps on a new tank?…a kennel’s worth of attack dogs?…a stronger brand of pepper spray?…maybe the missing funds were italicized on a discretionary budget - meaning - maybe state departments opted to eyeball past the bold-letter instructions to “use in the interest of transparency,” and instead spent and spent on stockpiling ammunition so that the force would be combat-ready when it was time to wage war on citizens.

"The office has conducted just three civil rights investigations into law enforcement since its debut in 2020, the most notable being the inquiry related to the death of Elijah McClain that found a pattern of racially biased policing and excessive use of force within the Aurora Police Department” - John Frank, Axios
…and Colorado police be like: unless the whole world is talking, there is no need to go digging a hole for ourselves/and even after the names of the slain are buzzwords trending in the ether/we don’t have to be in such a haste to waste precious resources on incriminating ourselves/give ‘the people’ time to settle themselves/eventually their outrage will quell to dust/and if they refuse to calm themselves, remember, we have access to armory that can quiet the loudest agitator among them.

The Democratic-led state House rejected a $156,000 amendment to the Colorado budget to expand the division that conducts pattern and practice investigations before approving the $36.4 billion legislation Thursday.
… Democratic politicians be like: let’s play a game of partisan politics - the rules are simple/first - we gotta campaign as liberals and sell lies to our targeted target audience/get them to believe we have a bleeding heart for blood spilled in their neighborhoods, at the hands of those charged to protect it/talk their language - use words like accountability…reform…and for the extra radical ones, say: ‘defund’/after they empower us to be able to disendow destruction caused by a militarized police-state - flip the script on ‘em/what’s a renege on a promise if it can keep us cozy with the police unions?/’the community’ will re-elect us no matter how many times we pull the same Judas act, because what’s their alternative?

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Donney Rose is a Writer, Educator, Organizer and Chief Content Editor at The North Star
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2022 07:17 pm
Catalytic converter theft continues to rise.

The troubling trend of thieves targeting cars for their catalytic converters
are leaving car owners with pricey repair bills.

Published March 19, 2022

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 08:20 am
Kansas City-area police departments report reports of thieves
(drilling) fuel tanks to steal gas.

Published March 14, 2022

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 08:54 am
INFINITUM

The Police Officer Who Shot And Killed Amir Locke In A No-Knock Raid Won't Face Criminal Charges
Prosecutors said the 22-year-old Black man's death was a tragedy, but that there wasn't enough evidence to charge the police officer who fatally shot him.

Locke, a 22-year-old Black man, was fatally shot within seconds of police busting down the door of a Minneapolis apartment in a no-knock warrant raid on the morning of Feb. 2. He was lying on the couch when police stormed in, and body camera footage shows the officers yelling "Police! Search warrant" and "Get on the ******* ground!"

Police video shows Locke holding a handgun that was initially pointed to the ground before it was raised in the direction of Minneapolis officer Mark Hanneman. Hanneman then fires three shots at Locke, killing him.

Locke was not named in the search warrant and he was not a suspect in the investigation. His family has said that he owned the gun and had a permit for it, even though a permit to carry is not required inside a home. Locke's mother called his death an "execution."
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 04:49 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/277774769_543031363852775_4722235353693729430_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=XC0Iy14rNcEAX_psurm&tn=Ex0fKzRmULJObwjv&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=00_AT_4iZcFhc6W7Zre8p7NUXg4s-
FJ0Zwf9BmLPlHAVfcg5w&oe=6255443F
Real Music

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 06:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
1. When I post a news report, I generally will post an (internet link) of that news report.

2. I do that, so that anyone who is reading my news report knows that it's not just some
person on (facebook) or (twitter) posting comments.

3. Also, I would never under any circumstance use (memes) as an information source.

4. I do use (memes) to pick fun at somebody or some thing, but never as an information source.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2022 11:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
1. Your post appears to be someone posting a comment on facebook or twitter.

2. I don't put any credibility in some (random) comment someone posted on facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.

3. The reason I don't put any credibility of someone posting a (random) comment on social media is because
there is no link to attach it to some article or news clip, or real source.

4. The other reason I don't put any credibility of people posting (random) comments on social media is because
it doesn't put those (random) comments in any kind of (context).

5. Something out of (context) can very easily be misleading and deceptive.

6. The actual source of a news article or some type of report with a link attached is extremely important.

7. (Context) is super important, so that I know that I am getting the whole story.

8. That is assuming that the story is even accurate or true in the first place.