'Fund The Police': Joe Biden discusses efforts to address (crime prevention)

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2022 11:46 pm
@Real Music,
The point being made is what's important.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2022 11:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
1. Although, I don't put any credibility of (random) comments posted on social media, I still get the message that you are conveying.

2. For the record, I am not opposed to funding on housing, health, food, and other direct aid.

3. In fact, I fully support those types of funding.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2022 11:47 pm
For much of U.S. history, law enforcement meant implementing laws that were explicitly designed to subjugate Black people and enforce white supremacy. That’s why Black people, along with hundreds of thousands of others, are calling for city, state, and federal governments to abolish policing as we currently understand it. We must divest from excessive, brutal, discriminatory policing and invest in a vision of community safety that works for everyone, not just an elite few.

https://m4bl.org/defund-the-police/
Real Music

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2022 12:49 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
For much of U.S. history, law enforcement meant implementing laws that were explicitly designed
to subjugate Black people and enforce white supremacy.

I believe there is truth to that statement.

Quote:
That’s why Black people, along with hundreds of thousands of others, are calling for city, state, and federal governments
to abolish policing as we currently understand it.

1. What does abolishing policing as we currently understand it, even mean?

2. That is a broad statement without an actual description, definition, or meaning.

3. Can you be more specific?

4. If you are referring to (reforming the police) as I have stated in my previous post, I am all for it.

5. If you referring to weeding out the (bad) cops and the (racist) cops, I am all for it.

7. If you are referring to showing reverence, honor, and respect for the work that the (good) cops do, I am all for it.

8. If you referring to cops getting better training in race relations, in civil liberties, and in various other issues
involving interactions with the public, I am all for it.

9. If you are referring to restoring trust between law enforcement and the community, I am all for it.

10. If you are referring to holding law enforcement (accountable), I am all for it.

11. But, if you are referring to (defunding the police), I don't see that solving any of those problems.

12. (Defunding the police) does not weed out racist cops.

13. (Defunding the police) does not ensure cops getting better training in race relations, in civil liberties,
and in various other issues involving interactions with the public.

Quote:
We must divest from excessive, brutal, discriminatory policing and invest in a vision of
community safety that works for everyone, not just an elite few.

I totally agree Smile
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2022 10:35 am
Count me as mainstream as, I agree with you real music. I doubt it's any surprise. shrugs.

I did object to the sloppy way Biden and the military withdrew from Afghanistan. Not only that, but I don't believe in nation building, so I don't think we are responsible for Afghanistan for life. We were there twenty some odd years, they had to time to get their stuff together if they were going to. What I do think is that the administration and the military and planers could have taken more care and time to withdrawal. So that is at least one thing I am not aligned with Biden on.

Like Real Music, I was never comfortable with "defund the police" but I am in full favor of reforming the police.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2022 11:09 am
Conservatives used to say that the liberal way to handle a problem is to simply throw money at it. I used to say they are wrong. Guess we showed me.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2022 11:31 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
I did object to the sloppy way Biden and the military withdrew from Afghanistan.

I do believe that mistakes were made on (how) the military withdrew from Afghanistan.

Quote:
Not only that, but I don't believe in nation building, so I don't think we are responsible for Afghanistan for life.

For the most part, I agree you.

Quote:
We were there twenty some odd years, they had to time to get their stuff together if they were going to. What I do think is that the administration and the military and planers could have taken more care and time to withdrawal. So that is at least one thing I am not aligned with Biden on.

1. I essentially agree with you.
2. Let me add that I am not an expert in tactics, procedures, and strategies of military withdrawals.
3. I will leave that to the experts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2022 11:53 am
When Biden withdrew from Afghanistan he disbursed that nations money to other causes. People are starving over there.
revelette1

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2022 12:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Are you saying Biden took money which was Afghanistan's and used it for other causes? Or are you saying he took money we usually used for the war in Afghanistan and used it elsewhere? I do agree like other nations we should give support, but that is hard to do with the Taliban in charge.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2022 09:42 am
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2022 10:29 am
@revelette1,
Lots of money was pledged for the reconstruction of Afghanistan from various sources.

When the Taliban took over that money was frozen, it's still there in the bank account but the Taliban can't access it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2022 10:35 am
@izzythepush,
That's true, but they divided it in half to use one part for 911 victims.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2022 11:11 am
@edgarblythe,
If that is the case it's disgusting.

America is rich enough to pay for the victims itself.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2022 11:30 am
@izzythepush,
Disgusting but true.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2022 01:20 pm
@revelette1,
Agree. My only issue is our poor or nonexistent planning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2022 05:57 pm
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2022 07:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The Police Officer Who Shot And Killed Amir Locke In A No-Knock Raid Won't Face Criminal Charges

I'm not sure why you have included this particular article? No sane person expects police not to shoot if there someone is pointing a gun pointed at them, particularly after they have yelled 'Police! Search Warrant' - as the actions of the other man indicates an intent to kill (I left out 'black' because skin colour is irrelevant when a person points a gun at police in these circumstances) . Only in the movies do police try and negotiate with a person raising a gun directly towards them / pointing a gun directly at them, as from either point, it takes a split second to kill you.

Every person, including police, have the right to go home from work at the end of their working day.

Is it the no knock warrant that is the issue? I've seen some arguments for that, but as it's not explicitly stated, it appears the fact that someone got shot for pointing a gun directly at police is the issue for you.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2022 08:26 pm
@vikorr,
They had the wrong house, busted in, and within seconds the innocent man was dead. I challenge you to not defend yourself in like circumstances.
roger

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2022 09:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Right. If they force their way in, it's a home invasion till proven otherwise.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2022 10:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I challenge you to not defend yourself in like circumstances.

Wouldn't be an issue for me - there would be nothing to defend. This is because mistakes happen as people are human, and police, somehow unsurprisingly, are part of the human race. Pointing a gun at a police officer for mistaking an address? Pointing the gun knowing they will shoot before asking questions?
- I think it wrongheaded, but aside from that;
- it is the height of stupidity; and
- the mistake itself would be rectified shortly after if he did nothing

The error / damage / etc can be fixed, whether that be through formal apology, compensation, law suit, or otherwise. The loss of a life can't be fixed.

Perhaps people in the US (both civilians and the police) cater to a very different opinion of how to deal with human mistakes. Perhaps too many believe in shoot first, and think & ask questions later. If that is the case, with humans not being robots, there will always be mistakes and this sort of thing will keep happening.

To be clear, people shouldn't die over mistakes. If there is anything the police can do better to avoid this sort of thing again, I am all for it. The other side is, no matter how good the systems, mistakes will always be made (everyone being human). Everyone has the right to go home after work. There is then only one way (when a mistake is made) that this could not end in tragedy. I am for the ideology that supports the better outcome - think, ask questions, don't shoot police entering under search warrant (even if it is a mistake). Resolve the mistake afterwards.
0 Replies