Bush: Intelligent Design Should Be Taught

woiyo

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 01:16 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Hey Woiyo...be careful.

Yogi is a Jersey boy! He's allowed.

Actually born in St. Louis, but most well known in Jersey.

Have you visited his Museum?? Just as good a Cooperstown and Yankee Stadium itself IMO.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 01:21 pm
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 02:51 pm
woiyo wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Hey Woiyo...be careful.

Yogi is a Jersey boy! He's allowed.

Actually born in St. Louis, but most well known in Jersey.

Have you visited his Museum?? Just as good a Cooperstown and Yankee Stadium itself IMO.

Never have visited it. Yogi is one of the most interesting "personalities" ever. And he managed to cash-in big-time on his famous sayings.

I love the guy.

Where is the museum? (Here in New Jersey???)
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:10 pm
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family.".G.W. Bush -Greater Nashua, N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000

http://members.aol.com/mike6099/curny.jpg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:33 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
The hair-splitting by some of the righties on this thread is amusing to watch. "Show me where he said we should teach intelligent design."

Speaking of intelligent design, I think we need some coming from the White House...

Yes, what you call hair-splitting, most other people call the conventional rules of debate. If you want to maintain that someone said something, yes, you actually have to produce a quotation from the person saying it. Oh, poor you, expected to adhere to the age old rules of honorable debate.

The quotation was cited repeatedly earlier in this thread. And I read the same quotation in the paper this morning. Does it need to be posted here again?

The Bush quotation originally posted was merely this:

Quote:
I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes.

I myself posted the more complete quotation, and even from that, it is not entirely clear what he is advocating. However, my above remarks refer only to your remarks:

D'artagnan wrote:
The hair-splitting by some of the righties on this thread is amusing to watch. "Show me where he said we should teach intelligent design."

The only thing that's amusing here is your opinion that it is unfair to ask someone to support his accusation.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:59 pm
I'm curious as to why "intelligent design" merits presentation as a "different school of thought"? Because Bush's fundamentalist constituency demands it?

What if another subculture insisted that the sun revolves around the earth? Should that be taught as a "different school of thought"?

And they say liberal are relativists...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:34 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I'm curious as to why "intelligent design" merits presentation as a "different school of thought"? Because Bush's fundamentalist constituency demands it?

What if another subculture insisted that the sun revolves around the earth? Should that be taught as a "different school of thought"?

And they say liberal are relativists...

I personally think ID is utter nonsense that need not be mentioned in any school, however, the point I tried to make in this thread was that Bush did not clearly advocate presenting them as scientific theories of equal stature. If you go by what Bush actually said (as if you would), it was kind of a non-answer as though he was trying to please everyone.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:48 pm
My previous post concerned what he DID say, Brandon. That students should be "exposed" to ID.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:54 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
My previous post concerned what he DID say, Brandon. That students should be "exposed" to ID.

Yes, and my previous post answered it. His use of the word "exposed" is not very specific.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:58 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

Yes, and my previous post answered it. His use of the word "exposed" is not very specific.

Well, with all due respect, that's what I meant earlier by "hair splitting."

If the teachers expose students to ID, then presumably they are meant to discuss it. On the one hand, one the other hand...That sort of thing.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:10 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

Well, with all due respect, that's what I meant earlier by "hair splitting."

If the teachers expose students to ID, then presumably they are meant to discuss it. On the one hand, one the other hand...That sort of thing.

Until he says that it should be presented in a science class on an equal footing with evolution, he cannot be justly accused of saying that. He might have meant that it should be given a two minute discussion in some non-science class.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 06:50 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Until he says that it should be presented in a science class on an equal footing with evolution, he cannot be justly accused of saying that. He might have meant that it should be given a two minute discussion in some non-science class.

Well...I was giving some credence to your arguments here, Brandon...but you may have gone a bit too far in that paragraph.

Bush did indicate he thought it should be considered alongside evolution theories....and that is not likely to be taught in non-science classes.

I realize any skilled debater...and I consider you to be one...could attack this comment. But the thrust of Bush's (non) remarks...although carefully worded so as to allow plenty of wiggle room...seem to indicate he sees it appropriate to intrude this stuff into a science based class.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 06:50 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Well...I was giving some credence to your arguments here, Brandon...but you may have gone a bit too far in that paragraph.

Bush did indicate he thought it should be considered alongside evolution theories....and that is not likely to be taught in non-science classes.

I realize any skilled debater...and I consider you to be one...could attack this comment. But the thrust of Bush's (non) remarks...although carefully worded so as to allow plenty of wiggle room...seems to indicate he sees it appropriate to intrude this stuff into a science based class.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 06:59 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I realize any skilled debater...and I consider you to be one...could attack this comment. But the thrust of Bush's (non) remarks...although carefully worded so as to allow plenty of wiggle room...seems to indicate he sees it appropriate to intrude this stuff into a science based class.

If he didn't say it, he didn't say it. He said only what can be found in his quotation, that the kids should be exposed to different ideas. That is a very vague recommendation. We can't say for sure what he was advocating unless he says more.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 07:16 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

If he didn't say it, he didn't say it. He said only what can be found in his quotation, that the kids should be exposed to different ideas. That is a very vague recommendation. We can't say for sure what he was advocating unless he says more.

Well...he was very, very, very careful not to say it....I'll give you that.

So I guess we all have to play dumb...in order to be considered patriotic...and respectful to the president.

Brandon!

Open your eyes.

He said: ""I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."

Obviously he is saying that ID should be taught (or mentioned) alongside the theory of evolution.

Where would the theory of evolution be taught?

In English class...in phys ed...in home economics?

He was saying that it should be covered in a science class.

That is all I said.

I did not assert he wanted it taught as co-equal.

Merely that your suggestion that he might have meant that it be touched on in a "two minute discussion in some non-science class"...was naive.

My exact wording was: "Well...I was giving some credence to your arguments here, Brandon...but you may have gone a bit too far in that paragraph.

Bush did indicate he thought it should be considered alongside evolution theories....and that is not likely to be taught in non-science classes. "

Right?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:05 pm
Bush knows intelligent design is rubbish. Brandon is right though, Bush didn't want to come right out and say it and disturb the Evangelicals who supported him, so he phrased his response carefully.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 11:07 am
I'm not sure that Bush believes ID is rubbish, but who knows. I've a feeling that he's perfectly capable of believing whatever BS his core audience wants him to believe...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:52 pm
intelligent design, if it must be discussed in public schools, really belongs in a religious history or philosophy class, i.e. an elective class.

as free duck pointed out earlier, the truth is we don't know for certain just how this universe came into being. yes, there is a lot of scientific evidence for what came after the big bang, such as evolution, but in origin we have nothing solid to point at and say "this all exists because xyz put it into motion". even the theory of a previously existent universe that was compressed to the size of a grapefruit which then exploded with a big, big bang does not address how that previous universe, or universes, came into being.

what i'm saying is, a science class should stick to items that are either proven science or theoreticals based on scientific methods. in essence, when discussing natural history and science, it makes as much sense to chime in with "i like cheerios better" as it does to make claims of a an intelligent design.

not saying that intelligent design offers no brain teasers, just that it is not science.

but, put id in the same comparative religion class with buddhism, hinduism, islam, judeaism, christianism, sun worship, celtism, shinto, odin and scientology and the dynamic changes completely. it becomes fully appropriate to the discussion.

and as others here have mentioned, if it was decided to include intelligent design in public school science classes, all of the above beliefs, and others not listed, would also have to be discussed equally.

that wouldn't leave much time to disect frogs, grow mold or any of that cool science stuff in the science class, would it ?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:09 pm
http://www.bartcop.com/monkey-monkey.gif
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:57 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ee-ee-ee-oo-oo-oo-ah-ah-ah !!!!!!
0 Replies