Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:28 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,846 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:47 am
Sigh, the paint chips off one piece at a time.

Never mind the fact that ID has no basis in science whatsoever, Bush wants it taught in our science classrooms.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:23 am
This would be one of those instances in which Bush and I do not see eye-to-eye.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:23 am
Somehow Im not surprised. However , hes not smart enough to fathom the actual riddle that Intelligent Design imprints on its proponents. If hes an ID proponent, hes also a proponent of evolution.

ID really only takes issue with about 2 items in Darwinian thought '
A The origin of life (to which Darwin himself was silent)

B Randomness in natural selection. (Anybody who understands that the environment has changed through time and that life has accomodated to these changes will understand)

Hes only grandstanding because his comprehension level is that of a 14 year old.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:06 pm
""I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes." "

I find nothing wrong with the statement regarding "different ideas". However, IMO, regarding how life was created on this planet, I would NOT favor any teachings in puiblic schools other then that from the natural sciences.

Any other theories relative to any "from of religious belief" should not be taught in public schools.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:09 pm
As regards how life began on this planet we should teach the "we have no idea" theory, and no other.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:50 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
As regards how life began on this planet we should teach the "we have no idea" theory, and no other.

Laughing

don't be cynical duck. this represents a wonderful opportunity to also begin teaching evolution in church. right ??

"people ought to be exposed to different ideas" - president george w. bush
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:54 pm
He's grandstanding all right, but it's blatant pandering to the religious right. I doubt that he gives a hoot if it's taught or not.

Has he introduced a bill on this? Personally, I don't expect to see one. More lip service.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:06 pm
I think that this is a big lie by the liberal media.

I defy anyone to provide me with a quotation from today's interview in which the president states that science teachers should present evolution and intelligent design as rival theories of equal status. The quotation doesn't have to use my words. Any reasonably similar quotation will be accepted. I assert that he said no such thing and intended no such thing. Prove me wrong.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:26 pm
Well, this comes pretty close:
Quote:
THE PRESIDENT: I think -- as I said, harking back to my days as my governor -- both you and Herman are doing a fine job of dragging me back to the past. (Laughter.) Then, I said that, first of all, that decision should be made to local school districts, but I felt like both sides ought to be properly taught.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/02/AR2005080200899_5.html
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:27 pm
DrewDad wrote:
He's grandstanding all right, but it's blatant pandering to the religious right. I doubt that he gives a hoot if it's taught or not.

Has he introduced a bill on this? Personally, I don't expect to see one. More lip service.

The President doesn't introduce any bills. That is the job of the House and the Senate. Do you need to go back to school?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:37 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Well, this comes pretty close:
Quote:
THE PRESIDENT: I think -- as I said, harking back to my days as my governor -- both you and Herman are doing a fine job of dragging me back to the past. (Laughter.) Then, I said that, first of all, that decision should be made to local school districts, but I felt like both sides ought to be properly taught.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/02/AR2005080200899_5.html

Here it is in full:

Quote:
Q I wanted to ask you about the -- what seems to be a growing debate over evolution versus intelligent design. What are your personal views on that, and do you think both should be taught in public schools?

Q Both sides should be properly taught?

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, people -- so people can understand what the debate is about.

Q So the answer accepts the validity of intelligent design as an alternative to evolution?

THE PRESIDENT: I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought, and I'm not suggesting -- you're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, and the answer is yes.

It sounds to me like he's trying to answer without answering, but, you're right, it does come close. I hope that is not what he meant. It seems like he left himself enough wiggle room that you can't really say for sure what he's advocating.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:48 pm
I agree that he sounds like he doesn't really want to answer. To me it looks like he's trying to give it the nod without making a strong enough statement to invite challenge.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 04:27 pm
Baldimo wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

The President doesn't introduce any bills. That is the job of the House and the Senate. Do you need to go back to school?

If you don't have something real to say, then for god's sake don't be pedantic just see your words on the screen.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 05:00 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
It sounds to me like he's trying to answer without answering, but, you're right, it does come close. I hope that is not what he meant. It seems like he left himself enough wiggle room that you can't really say for sure what he's advocating.

Which, at this point in his career, I find surprising.
He is unable to run for a third term, so why even bother attempting to answer without answering.
If he offends, it's hardly going to affect his future, or even his current status.

It seems odd.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 05:06 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

He is unable to run for a third term, so why even bother attempting to answer without answering.
If he offends, it's hardly going to affect his future, or even his current status.

It seems odd.

Lemme get this straight...

...you are saying that something George Bush is saying sounds odd????

I'll tell you what would be "odd"...

...hearing something from him that doesn't sound odd.

Now that would sound odd.

Oh....but that means...

...ahhh, what the hell.

The guy has a serious handicap when it comes to saying things.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 05:15 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

It seems odd.

Lemme get this straight...

...you are saying that something George Bush is saying sounds odd????

I'll tell you what would be "odd"...

...hearing something from him that doesn't sound odd.

Now that would sound odd.

Oh....but that means...

...ahhh, what the hell.

The guy has a serious handicap when it comes to saying things.

This is the kind of easy insult that doesn't require a shred of evidence and could be said to blacken anyone's character. So: Is not.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 05:16 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

If you don't have something real to say, then for god's sake don't be pedantic just see your words on the screen.

You stated something that is false and I corrected you. Sorry you didn't know any better, I was just trying to help.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 05:48 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

This is the kind of easy insult that doesn't require a shred of evidence and could be said to blacken anyone's character. So: Is not.

I think what F.A was saying is that Bush's frequent public gaffes and oratory blunders give him a proven track record for odd statements.

You need proof of these in order to chalk them up as, not just "character blackening", but true as well?
You are better read than that Brandon. Don't play the fool.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:51 pm
Brandon noted some comments I made about George Bush...something to the effect that nobody should be suprised by what the man says...or think it odd...because George Bush is a master at saying "odd" things.

Brandon responded with:

Brandon9000 wrote:
This is the kind of easy insult that doesn't require a shred of evidence...

You want evidence, Brandon???

I'll give ya evidence.

Here's some "evidence."

"Now, we talked to Joan Hanover. She and her husband, George, were visiting with us. They are near retirement - retiring - in the process of retiring, meaning they're very smart, active, capable people who are retirement age and are retiring." -George W. Bush, Alexandria, Va., Feb. 12, 2003

"The war on terror involves Saddam Hussein because of the nature of Saddam Hussein, the history of Saddam Hussein, and his willingness to terrorize himself." -George W. Bush, Grand Rapids, Mich., Jan. 29, 2003

"I'm a patient man. And when I say I'm a patient man, I mean I'm a patient man. Nothing he [Saddam Hussein] has done has convinced me - I'm confident the Secretary of Defense - that he is the kind of fellow that is willing to forgo weapons of mass destruction, is willing to be a peaceful neighbor, that is - will honor the people - the Iraqi people of all stripes, will - values human life. He hasn't convinced me, nor has he convinced my administration." -George W. Bush, Crawford, Texas, Aug. 21, 2002

We cannot let terrorists and rogue nations hold this nation hostile or hold our allies hostile.'' -George W. Bush, Des Moines, Iowa, Aug. 21, 2000

"Laura and I really don't realize how bright our children is sometimes until we get an objective analysis." -George W. Bush, CNBC, April 15, 2000

"I understand small business growth. I was one." -George W. Bush, New York Daily News, Feb. 19, 2000

"The senator has got to understand if he's going to have - he can't have it both ways. He can't take the high horse and then claim the low road." -George W. Bush, on Sen. John McCain, speaking to reporters in Florence, S.C., Feb. 17, 2000

"This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve." -George W. Bush, speaking during "Perseverance Month" at Fairgrounds Elementary School in Nashua, New Hampshire, Jan. 28, 2000

"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" -George W. Bush, Florence, S.C., Jan. 11, 2000

"The important question is, How many hands have I shaked?"-Answering a question about why he hasn't spent more time in New Hampshire, in the New York Times, Oct. 23, 1999

"Will the highways on the Internet become more few?"-Concord, N.H., Jan. 29, 2000

"That's a chapter, the last chapter of the 20th, 20th, the 21st century that most of us would rather forget. The last chapter of the 20th century. This is the first chapter of the 21st century. "
Arlington Heights, Ill., Oct. 24, 2000

"States should have the right to enact reasonable laws and restrictions particularly to end the inhumane practice of ending a life that otherwise could live."
Cleveland, June 29, 2000
"I think we agree, the past is over."
On his meeting with John McCain, Dallas Morning News, May 10, 2000

"I don't have to accept their tenants. I was trying to convince those college students to accept my tenants. And I reject any labeling me because I happened to go to the university."
Today, Feb. 23, 2000

"How do you know if you don't measure if you have a system that simply suckles kids through?"
Explaining the need for educational accountability in Beaufort, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

"I do not agree with this notion that somehow if I go to try to attract votes and to lead people toward a better tomorrow somehow I get subscribed to some, some doctrine gets subscribed to me."
Meet The Press, Feb. 13, 2000

"It was just inebriating what Midland was all about then."
From a 1994 interview, as quoted in First Son, by Bill Minutaglio

"Keep good relations with the Grecians."
Quoted in the Economist, June 12, 1999

You want more evidence, Brandon...ask for it. I've got hundreds.
0 Replies