Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2022 05:34 am
Aaargh!

So, I've been struggling with this and it just doesn't work.

So I've been talking to someone online, and he's a Jew and I'm a Christian. Ultimately, the sticking point is not whether or not Jesus died foe our sins, but the idea of personal relationship with God.

The more I look into Judaism the more I see stuff like this:
https://coffeeshoprabbi.com/2015/04/19/kissing-the-torah-idolatry/
And this:
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/830339/jewish/Why-fast-after-dropping-a-Torah-scroll-or-tefillin.htm

Fasting when a scroll is dropped? Kissing a scroll? Crowning a scroll and adorning it with silver? What is wrong with you?!?

And more of the commentors on the first link not only think there is nothing wrong with being passionate towards a sheet of paper but there are female posters talking about how the women are not able to go up personally and kiss it because they are too far back (so basically your synagogue made you a second-class citizen) so they do air kisses to it.

You should kiss loved ones. You should worship God. Not the Temple. Not the scroll of Law (now that the Temple is gone). Not the lantern-thingy in the synagogue. Nor the walls nor the robes of the priests. Just because an image is not necessarily graven doesn't mean it is not an idol.

The story of the Grinch should be foremost in your mind. If I stole all the crap in your synagogue (and then burned the place itself down) from the mountain, I should still hear you praying and singing.

But this isn't even the most upsetting part. It's the seeming utter lack of passion. Or to be sure, they are very traditional, and very stubborn about traditions. I suggest maybe the text should be changed, and they basically take a literalist approach (dude, it's my Bible not your Torah, what the hell do you care?) to things. But I have told them that Moses, Jacob, Isaac, Abraham, and Noah... all of these fathers had a personal relationship with God. Each had a very tailor-made set of events that showed them God is real and alive. And they all like, "No thanks, the Law is the only thing that matters." But it isn't! The law came from these people, they took laws, doing what they felt was right and kept them. And slowly these laws supplanted worship of God to the point where now the Law itself is kissed and given a crown. Ezekiel stands in a valley of dry bones and asks "Lord can these bones live?" Now, I'm not so sure. They appear to be intent on being dead.

How do I fix this relationship that this man (I assume) has with his God? And without screwing up the relationship he(?) has with me, of course.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,770 • Replies: 9
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by bulmabriefs144
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2022 09:26 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Quote:
How do I fix this relationship that this man (I assume) has with his God? And without screwing up the relationship he(?) has with me, of course.

Of course?

Maybe his relationship with God (even screwed up as it may be), is more important than the one he has with you.

Which one should he choose?
bulmabriefs144

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 07:08 am
@Leadfoot,
That didn't seem to be the case. He eventually responded back to me.

He still hasn't gotten in touch with God, to the best of my knowledge. Nor have any of his people. It's been two millennia. At least.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 02:22 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
Oh.
You are so mistaken. I talked to the dude myself only minutes ago, and him and his dad are Tight.

OK, technically it was a message. But his Dad always passes them along. He (the dude) always deferred us to Abba Father.
You gotta admire the dude’s humility.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2022 06:40 am
@Leadfoot,
So wait, you think this guy is Jesus?

Nahhh, he told me his username was MossPlains.
0 Replies

CoastalRat
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2022 11:19 am
@bulmabriefs144,
[quoteHow do I fix this relationship that this man (I assume) has with his God?][/quote]
First, I doubt this person feels his relationship is broken and thus is not in need of repair. You may disagree with his beliefs but there is no way you can "fix" his relationship with God.

What you can do is continue to have reasonable discussions about your views and prayer that you can at least show him why you believe as you do.

So stop trying to fix what is not yours to fix.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2022 12:49 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
Quote:
That didn't seem to be the case. He eventually responded back to me.

He still hasn't gotten in touch with God, to the best of my knowledge. Nor have any of his people. It's been two millennia. At least.

You were a little too vague. It would have helped if you had capitalized 'his'.

I thought your bf was the one waiting 2000 years.
You would do better if it was Him.

But I must correct you. I know of at least one who did.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2022 01:24 pm
@CoastalRat,
I've decided this is a selected answer, because it answered a relationship question rather than a religion one.

But we are kinda still friends. We just don't agree on religion.
0 Replies

Mrknowspeople

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2022 05:20 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
Judaism can be an extreme version of Christ's faith. You can deny him but to do so officially you'll need to go to a religion other than the one "H"e created.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2022 07:13 pm
@Mrknowspeople,
Nuh.

Judaism is what alot of "Christians" believe in. It's the "if I'm good enough I'll get into Heaven, right dad?" "Damned straight, son!" But Christianity doesn't actually say this.

https://www.gotquestions.org/good-person.html
Quote:
If you ask most people what you have to do to get into heaven (assuming they believe in heaven or an afterlife), the overwhelming response will be some form of “be a good person.” Most, if not all, religions and worldly philosophies are ethically based. Whether it’s Islam, Judaism, or secular humanism, the teaching is common that getting to heaven is a matter of being a good person—following the Ten Commandments or the precepts of the Quran or the Golden Rule. But is this what Christianity teaches? Is Christianity just one of many world religions that teach that being a good person will get us into heaven?

(...)

This salvation in Christ is a precious gift, and, like all true gifts, it is unearned (Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8–9). The message of the gospel is that we can never be good enough to get to heaven. We must recognize that we are sinners who fall short of God’s glory, and we must obey the command to repent of our sins and place our faith and trust in Jesus Christ.

Every single Christian that believes in works is not only not a Christian, but whether God lets them into heaven or not, the point is that most of their existence under works theology is a living hell.
0 Replies