Can you OD on Caffeine?

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:04 pm
My place of employment sometimes has horrible coffee and sometimes has good coffee (I guess it depends on who in the cafeteria is on coffee duty). So since I love iced coffee, I will get a huge cup of ice and then add the flavored hot coffee to it as it is the best tasting of all the choices. This morning the flavored coffee was not yet completed dripping or percolating whichever it is. I decided to go ahead and take some anyone. After drinking it, I was buzzing big time, shaking, was so wired I had difficultly concentrating. This was the strongest caffeine buzz I ever had.

Did I OD or what? Is the coffee that much stronger because I didn't wait for it to finish?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 14,485 • Replies: 30
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:17 pm
when amking coffee usually the first cup that the pot makes has most of the caffiene in it from the entire pot.

i dunno how or why that works.
but yeah. You got a good dose.

Can you OD ? yes........and no.
Od to the point of death or permanent problems from one exposure? not at all.
Prolonged exposure.. some say you can . Im not sure about that though. In large doses over a long period of time caffeine causes alot of problems. But OD to the point of death..nah. I wouldnt think so.

Some of the signs of too much caffeine are
diarrhea, shakes, queezy stomach, headache ( wich is funny.. too LITTLE caffeine in an addict causes the same thing ) sweats, fluttery chest, rapid breathing, lack of concentration, ... you get the hint . ;-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:50 pm
I'm still alive. That should be answer enough.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:59 pm
Well I have the shakes, fluttery chest, rapid breathing, and lack of concentration - I wasn't too concerned on death - I really didn't think I was ODing as I did not feel sick at all just more hyper than usual. Also no matter how much caffeine was in that first cup - it was just a cup. I was just curious if it was possible to OD. I have heard that people can actually die from too much water so wondered what could happen with caffeine.

I do think I am beginning to come down now - hopefully I won't crash too hard.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:16 pm
Ditto Roger's comment.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:31 pm
true.
we are ALL still here >twitch<

but yeah, you >twitch< will come down pretty hard
i > twitch twitch < suspect..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:48 pm
You guys are all wrong!! I just looked up overdosing on caffeine and it is possible to die from it!

Here are the symptoms for adults:
Body as a whole - difficulty sleeping, muscle twitching, confusion, in and out of consciousness, increased urination, increased thirst, DEATH, fever, difficulty breathing, vomiting and diarrhea, irregular heartbeat and rapid heartbeat, hallucinations, dizziness and convulsions.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002579.htm
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:53 pm
The amount involved would probably be much more than you could get from cups of coffee. You'd probably have to take dozens of No Doz. Then, I suppose you might do heart damage or something. Don't really know.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:57 pm
death?
from caffeine?

that would take ALOT of caffeine..
that sounds strange to me I have never heard of people dying from caffeine.

interesting link.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:57 pm
Yeah - well it only took 90 No-doz pills for this college student.

Caffeine pills proved fatal last week for Jason Allen, a community college student in North Carolina who swallowed almost 90 pills, the equivalent of about 250 cups of coffee.

While an overdose this severe is rare, many college students misuse caffeine pills because they consider them a harmless way to fight sleep. However, excessive amounts of caffeine can lead to serious health problems, according to Carol Walsh, a doctor and associate professor of pharmacology at Boston University.

"Caffeine pills are commonly available, so some people may not consider them to be very dangerous... Like any medication, though, an overdose is potentially fatal," Walsh said.

Most warning labels on caffeine pills say the drug stimulates the central nervous system and can cause restlessness, nervousness, gastrointestinal disturbances and other problems.

Not only do people risk heart problems if they overdose on caffeine pills, they also risk convulsions. When caffeine inhibits the adenosine reaction, the nervous system becomes overworked. This can lead to excessive neural activity and possibly seizures, Walsh said.

While it's easier to overdose on No-Doz or Vivran than coffee, excessive caffeine is unhealthy in any form, said Betsy Kenrick, a certified registered nurse at Boston Medical Center.

According to Kenrick, it is safe to consume the equivalent of three six-ounce cups of coffee daily. Depending on its strength, a cup of coffee contains between 110 and 150 milligrams of caffeine. A can of soda contains between 30 and 60 milligrams. One caffeine pill contains about 200 milligrams.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:59 pm
90 pills??

suicide anyone?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:06 pm
You can OD on anything except pu**y.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:11 pm
Here is a case in Australia - they also report there is about 20 reported deaths of caffeine toxicity...

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s300653.htm
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:14 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
You can OD on anything except pu**y.

Actually, you can OD on pu**y. There was a man in Tempe, Arizona last year with 5 girlfriends who literally did just that. See The Lancet, 349:375-80, 2004.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 04:03 pm
I'd guess the Death From Caffeine requires flaws in the cardiovascular system.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 04:03 pm
I'd guess the Death From Caffeine requires flaws in the cardiovascular system.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 05:58 pm
I am extremely sensitive to caffeine. The older that I get, the worse I get. There was a time that I could handle a cup of regular coffee for breakfast, and a caffenated soda for lunch.....................Then I started to get dizzy spells. It took me a long time to figure out what was causing it.
I used to take over the counter diet pills, which contained caffeine, and over the counter cold tablets, which also has caffeine.

Anyhow, I once had a cold, and took some cold pills. I was driving to my parents' house. (For some reason, movement potentiates the effect). I became so sick that I had to pull off the road. I was like a limp dishrag, with my head on the steering wheel. A cop parked his car about 1/2 block away. I wanted to alert him, but I was too weak to hit the horn. I sat there for a few hours, until I was finally able to drive to my parents' house. As soon as I got there, I went right to bed.

As a result, I keep Drammimine with me all the time, which seems to help. Even with the medication, I need a few hours to sleep off the effects of the caffeine. On a number of occasions, I was still weak as a fish the next day.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 06:25 pm
Too much coffee contributed to the death of the writer
Honore De Balzac

Physician's Notes: Balzac put his excellent health to the test by constant strain until, in 1834, he suffered a slight "brain congestion" and dizzy spells. These recurred two years later and were diagnosed as arachnoiditis, an inflammation of one of the three brain covers. He drank huge amounts of thick, black coffee, which caused stomach cramps and contributed to his high blood pressure, which resulted in hypertrophy (abnormal enlargement) of the left ventricle of his heart. His body became flabby, his skin sallow, and he developed nervous twitches in his face. Working by candlelight ruined his eyes. In Russia, in 1847, he developed bronchitis, and when he returned to Paris exhausted three years later, his eyesight was completely gone. When he arrived home, the novelist found his faithful servant had suffered a mental breakdown. Balzac remarked, "What an omen! I shall never leave this house alive." He never did. Within a few months, his overworked heart quit. His masterpiece, La Comedie Humaine, was never finished. As he lay delirious on his deathbed, he called out, "Send for Bianchon [the famous doctor of La Comedie Humaine]. He'll save me."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:22 am
Even though I did not get a good night's sleep (severe very loud thunderstorms) - I am drinking just plain old water this morning.

I am cutting back after the way I felt yesterday. Maybe I am getting old and can't handle caffeine. Any way I feel much more alert than when I drank that extra strong coffee yesterday.
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:28 am
I think I have OD on caffeine a few times in my life. Now, I only drink one cup a day.
0 Replies