Can you OD on Caffeine?

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:28 am
Yes you can OD from caffeine... my friend just recently did... I think she took 8 No Doz and the drank some alchohol.... obviously the combination of the two caused a reaction... but she is fine now...

You can also die from ODing on caffeine.. it can stop your heart (wear it out)...

I am no longer aloud to have caffeine because of my heart... I am on meds now... I use to abuse caffeine pills and adderall and now I have problems that may be with me the rest of my life.... but one bottle of caffeinated soda would probably put me in the hospital or at least in bed for a few days....
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:11 am
A few years back, a young friend of mine took a job at Starbuck's while going through college. He and his co-workers (also college mates) devised a wicked drink consisting of 4 espresso shots mixed with Red Bull to help them stay awake to study for several nights before finals.

He ended up in the hospital from caffeine overload. While his intake was indeed extreme, it definitely convinced me that one could overdose on caffeine. Sad
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:45 am
As there are more products being developed to "keep you alert" in order to help us all that are so sleep deprived I can imagine stuff like what happened to J Lady's friend will only increase.

I went on a harbor cruise recently (considered a booze cruise) and they had an alcoholic drink made with Red Bull. I guess this is a new thing - combining high caffeine drinks with alcohol - sounds like a dangerous combination to me.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:32 am
I've seen more and more of that going on as well, Linkat. At the last few parties I have been to, it almost seems to be the norm anymore rather than the exception. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like that would equate to taking a few uppers and a few downers at the same time and eventually cause some disturbing and conflicting outcomes on ones body chemistry

I think I'll pass on the upper/downer mixes personally.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 04:32 pm
Snide thought: I bet that the caffeine & booze mixers pride themselves on a "natural" lifestyle.

I understand that the Pentagon is experimenting with drugs that go well beyond caffeine in providing alertness without sleep for several days.

Brave New World.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 05:03 pm
Or Scary, Scary thought!

Yikes! I LIKE my sleep and have paid my sleepless dues. Having a chronic sleep condition that oft times robs me of a well deserved rest, I truly appreciate what one god nights sleep can be like. And I am very, very grateful when I get one!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 05:30 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Snide thought: I bet that the caffeine & booze mixers pride themselves on a "natural" lifestyle.

I understand that the Pentagon is experimenting with drugs that go well beyond caffeine in providing alertness without sleep for several days.

Brave New World.

Well, Brazilian truckers use guarana (present in all the expensive "energy" drinks), and there's definitely something different about it. Before Red Bull and the like, I used to get it in a concentrated sickly-sweet soda they sold at a local Brazilian restaurant. Keeps you buzzing for long time.

Red Bull/Rockstar etc. are nowhere near as potent.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 07:16 am
Linkat wrote:
As there are more products being developed to "keep you alert" in order to help us all that are so sleep deprived I can imagine stuff like what happened to J Lady's friend will only increase.

I went on a harbor cruise recently (considered a booze cruise) and they had an alcoholic drink made with Red Bull. I guess this is a new thing - combining high caffeine drinks with alcohol - sounds like a dangerous combination to me.

http://www.anheuser-busch.com/news/BtoE_012405.htm

Anheuser Bush created a caffinated beer a few months ago.
Now instead of slobbering slow drunk drivers , we will have racing angry drunks on the roads...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:08 am
I liked it better when there was no caffeine in alcohol. A heavy drinker would pass out and stop drinking. With caffeine added he could be up all night drinking.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:13 am
bingo!

i looked through some of my nursing books and wouldnt you know,... there is NOTHING about dangers of caffeine except if you had heart problems, breathing problems etc.. and then it was a basic statment about the possible dangers. Nothing about possible death, and very little about prolonged exposure >sigh<

scary thought to me! I was supposed to be able to take care of people on a general basis and yet I wasnt taught some of the things I have learned on the web with this thread..
truly scary. Confused
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 01:41 pm
Shewolf--

Textbooks go out of date.

Information increases anyway.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies