Fitzgerald Investigation of Leak of Identity of CIA Agent

Advocate

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:15 am
For the most part, economists call tax loopholes government tax expenditures. A loophole is tantamount to a government check to the recipient.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:54 am
okie wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
okie, Oh, please do! I'm asking you for a favor that you reveal all the lies I posted on a2k.
That isn't a good use of time, ci, instead I will keep pointing out where we disagree. In the websites, some Bush disagreements are classified as lies, so if you want to call them that, fine.

okie, Where did you go to school? Disagreements are not necessarily lies. You evidently know very little or nothing about logic. It's up to you to show everybody where I lied - as you are the one making the charge. Do you know what a false accusation is?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:00 am
Quote:
The point at which we are probably on right now is a flatter portion of the curve so that any tax hike will not raise as much revenue as desired even though it will probably raise some.

Okie, I'd like to know what data you've used to reach this conclusion.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:00 am
cicerone imposter wrote:

okie, Where did you go to school? Disagreements are not necessarily lies.

Tell your "Bush lies" website editors that then.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:02 am
okie, If you find them lying, it's up to you to point it out to them - with FACTS. I'm not the one having a problem with all those web sites on "Bush Lies."
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:06 am
I did point some out quite a few pages back on one thread. They are a waste of time and full of inaccuracies compiled by leftist whackos, so I would think if you were interested in the truth, you would not post them here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:10 am
okie, If you find lies that are posted by me, you must point them out and show why they are lies. Your global charge that they are lies has no meaning or credibility. FACTS are what's important.

Most of what I have posted shows "what Bush said," followed by the FACTS. It's up to you to challenge those FACTS. Comprende?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:26 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
The point at which we are probably on right now is a flatter portion of the curve so that any tax hike will not raise as much revenue as desired even though it will probably raise some.

Cycloptichorn

Common sense as applied to mathematical principles. The peak of the Laffer curve is going to be expressed as a curved plateau, rather than a sharp point at the top with each side possessing the same rate of climb to the peak. As tax rates are increased and approach the peak, the actual increase in revenues will become less pronounced. It is not a zero sum game. This should be intuitively obvious, given everything we know about math and economics.

I believe some of the Europeans have found that at some point, they have to return to less burdensome tax rates to avoid economic stagnation. Stagnation begins to occur, in my opinion, due to all kinds of factors, but one is taxation when it approaches the peak of the Laffer curve, which many think is fictitious, but common sense forces many of us to believe it is very real.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:31 am
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Common sense as applied to mathematical principles. The peak of the Laffer curve is going to be expressed as a curved plateau, rather than a sharp point at the top with each side possessing the same rate of climb to the peak. As tax rates are increased and approach the peak, the actual increase in revenues will become less pronounced. It is not a zero sum game. This should be intuitively obvious, given everything we know about math and economics.

I believe some of the Europeans have found that at some point, they have to return to less burdensome tax rates to avoid economic stagnation. Stagnation begins to occur, in my opinion, due to all kinds of factors, but one is taxation when it approaches the peak of the Laffer curve, which many think is fictitious, but common sense forces many of us to believe it is very real.

I know the general theory; what evidence did you use to come to the conclusion that we are close to the point of negative returns?

My guess is, no data at all. Just a gut feeling. Not a good economic theory, one which relies upon gut feeling.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:34 am
okie wrote: This should be intuitively obvious, given everything we know about math and economics.

Talk about the laffer curve, this is the epitome of laughter.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:37 am
We've been through this numerous times, no need to rehash all the arguments here, which probably needs to get back to the topic. Perhaps we will have to wait and see what happens if tax rates are raised again?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 09:52 am
According to an FBI whisleblower, the espionage in the Bush administration went far beyond the outing of Plame.

January 7, 2008 at 10:57:56

Times of London Blows Open Sibel Edmonds Case

by Mike Mejia (Posted by Mike Mejia)

http://www.opednews.com

Deep within the bowels of the FBI translation program are contained many dark secrets. If the Bush Administration and the Democratic Congress have their way, many of these painful truths will never see the light of public scrutiny. Some come in the form of transcripts of wiretapped conversations that reveal U.S. officials are willing to sell nuclear secrets for cold, hard cash to untrustworthy allies.

So says FBI whistleblower Sibel Edmonds, in an explosive new interview with the The Times (U.K.). In the story, Edmonds claims " she heard evidence that one well-known senior official in the US State Department was being paid by Turkish agents in Washington who were selling the information on to black market buyers, including Pakistan." The article goes on to say:

The Turks and Israelis had planted "moles" in military and academic institutions which handled nuclear technology. Edmonds says there were several transactions of nuclear material every month, with the Pakistanis being among the eventual buyers. "The network appeared to be obtaining information from every nuclear agency in the United States," she said.

The Times article does not name the high-level State Department official who is alleged to have sold out his country to Turkey and Pakistan. However, to those who have paid close attention to the Edmonds case, there is little doubt that she is referring to Mark Grossman, currently an associate of the Cohen Group.

Grossman, former Ambassador to Turkey under President Clinton and Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs under President Bush, has been named repeatedly by Edmonds in interviews as someone "very important" to her case. The fact that any indiscretions Grossman may be accused of occurred during both a Democratic and a Republican Administration may explain why neither political party has aggressively tried to pursue Edmonds claims.

If the charges are true, the unnamed State Department official, whoever he or she is, may be guilty of more than leaking secrets to a trusted ally; cash payments may have been involved as well. Edmonds apparently told the Times that "in one conversation Edmonds heard the official arranging to pick up a $15,000 cash bribe". It is not clear whether there is proof any cash payments ever took place, yet the charge is damning.

Grossman, besides being a former policymaker at State, is known publicly as Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald's first witness in the Scooter Libby trial. Libby was accused of perjury in the investigation of former CIA operative Valerie Plame, who was part of a CIA front company monitoring the global nuclear black market. At least one story claimed Grossman himself had leaked the identity of Plame's front company, Brewster-Jennings, to Turkish agents in June, 2001. Though the story was never picked up by the mainstream media, if true, it would lead credence to the idea that the Brewster Jennings operation had already been compromised before the retaliation against Plame's wife, former Ambassador Joe Wilson, by members of the Bush Administration.

Grossman is also being subpoenaed by the defense in the AIPAC espionage trial, along with several other officials who may have passed classified information to the powerful Israel-connected lobby group.

In addition, the Times article mentions Pentagon officials selling nuclear secrets to Turkey and Pakistan. AIPAC case figure Larry Franklin is discussed by Edmonds in the article. The whistleblower has suggested in separate interviews that Franklin's supervisor at the Pentagon, Douglas Feith has been involved in the scandal, as well as prominent neoconservative and Feith associate Richard Perle.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:27 am
Advocate wrote:
According to an FBI whisleblower, the espionage in the Bush administration went far beyond the outing of Plame.

Just so we're clear, if someone commits espionage against the United States, and they happen to be working for the Federal government, you blame the crime on the present administration? Is that a fair characterization, or are you alleging something else?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:57 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Just so we're clear, if someone commits espionage against the United States, and they happen to be working for the Federal government, you blame the crime on the present administration? Is that a fair characterization, or are you alleging something else?

The piece talks about people high up in the administration. Thus, my statement is quite fair.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:59 am
I'm almost positive he meant to say that they were committing espionage for foreign govts, against the US.

And that there's a certain amount of evidence that people knew about it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 11:40 am
From the outing of a CIA agent to trading nuclear secrets with the enemy, when will we see some "justice?"
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 01:21 pm
Advocate wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Advocate wrote:

The piece talks about people high up in the administration. Thus, my statement is quite fair.

No, it is not fair. If someone high up in the Bush administration commits a murder, does the Bush administration commit a murder?

Is there any evidence that the Bush administration, or any other administration official, condoned the alleged activities?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 01:31 pm
And, frankly, your post would have more credibility -- not much, but more -- if you had posted the Times article, instead of an editorial written by some progressive freelance writer writing about the Times article.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 01:59 pm
Yup; typical; attack the messenger.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 04:16 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Yup; typical; attack the messenger.

Nope. I'm simply suggesting it is difficult to take what the messenger has to say at face value, based upon his likely bias and motive ... and in this case, lack of evidence. I mean, what's the point?

Evidently it was enough to persuade you, but let's face it ... Advocate could post an article that says Bush may actually be the Son of Sam, and you'd be quick to add it to the list of his transgressions.
0 Replies