Fitzgerald Investigation of Leak of Identity of CIA Agent

mysteryman

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:03 pm
Advocate wrote:
Example: Clinton smoking pot in the UK broke no US law.

There is no way that Clinton was a serial liar. Bush, however, was and is.

But he said that he "never inhaled".
That in itself is a lie, wouldnt you say?
BTW, as far as I know pot is illegal in England also, so he broke British law by smoking the pot.

Quote:
I think that Clinton was a serial liar. Don't lump us all together.

Cycloptichorn

Then you appear to be the only member of the left on here that thinks so.
To answer your original question, yes I will gladly admit that Bush has lied about somethings.
Is he a serial liar?
That I dont know, and to be honest you dont know for certain either.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:05 pm
Advocate wrote:
Bush's Top Ten Lies

http://www.bushlies.net/

Just to take the first one to help you figure it out. It was a poor choice of terms used, but I certainly understand what Bush meant when he used "stay the course" in two different contexts. The first is that of being successful in Iraq, he used "stay the course." He instead said we would not "stay the course" in regard to the tactics used or strategy to be successful.

If this is a great example of a Bush lie, then you flunk, Advocate. Most people are smart enough to figure out the context in which Bush used the term, but apparently you and the Left would rather wrest the words used and take them out of context to concoct it into a supposed lie. We all know that Bush has been totally committed to staying the course and being successful in Iraq, and we all know that Bush knows that strategies and tactics are also changed from time to time, which is to not stay the course in regard to that context.

So your example number 1 is not a lie at all, but an example of taking something out of context and tripping up Bush because he, as most people recognize, may not always be the best communicator, but that is far from being a liar, as Clinton clearly is.

Just reading the first example convinces me the others are probably just as worthless as supposed lies, so I didn't even read them.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:08 pm
Could this be another Bill Clinton lie??
I guess it depends on how you look at it...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/12/18/elder-bush-nixes-clinton-trip-idea/?3409

Quote:

So, Bill lied when he said that he and George sr would be going on a trip once Hillary won.
I guess he still hasnt learned to be honest.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:10 pm
okie: Just to take the first one to help you figure it out. It was a poor choice of terms used, but I certainly understand what Bush meant when he used "stay the course" in two different contexts. The first is that of being successful in Iraq (please provide us with "this" timeline on "being successful in Iraq?"), he used "stay the course." He instead said we would not "stay the course" in regard to the tactics used or strategy to be successful (same question as above; please provide us with timelines and the statements Bush made making clear the difference in meaning?).
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:12 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
okie: Just to take the first one to help you figure it out. It was a poor choice of terms used, but I certainly understand what Bush meant when he used "stay the course" in two different contexts. The first is that of being successful in Iraq (please provide us with "this" timeline on "being successful in Iraq?"), he used "stay the course." He instead said we would not "stay the course" in regard to the tactics used or strategy to be successful (same question as above; please provide us with timelines and the statements Bush made making clear the difference in meaning?).

Are you saying that Bush should have said..."It depends on the meaning of is"

Does that sound familiar?
That is one of Bills most famous dodges when he was being questioned by the GJ.

Are you sure you want to parse words that way?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:13 pm
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:16 pm
You are making something complicated out of a simple case of semantics and poor choice of explanation as regards the context. First of all, there is no motivation or reason to concoct a lie here by Bush. Most people understand it for what it is, and its not some grand lie, ci.

Your post just proves my point, he says it in regard to tactics, not mission. He still says we will complete the mission. You guys are ridiculous and scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for a supposed lie to use this one.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:23 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
We will stay there till the job is done

BUSH: We will stay the course, we will complete the job in Iraq. [8/4/05]

See above

BUSH: We will stay the course until the job is done, Steve. And the temptation is to try to get the President or somebody to put a timetable on the definition of getting the job done. We're just going to stay the course. [12/15/03]

Again, he is saying we will stay till the job is done.

BUSH: And my message today to those in Iraq is: We'll stay the course. [4/13/04]

See above

We have never been set on one strategy
We will change our strategy and tactics as the situation requires, but we will stay till the job is finished

I understand the meaning of "stay the course" as used in each phrase you are quoting.
And my explanation of what Bush meant is in red, so you can understand it better.
If you still dont understand, I have a neice in third grade that can explain it to you in words you might understand.

My question is why are you being so obtuse as to think that the words "stay the course" must mean the same thing every time?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:26 pm
mysteryman wrote:
My question is why are you being so obtuse as to think that the words "stay the course" must mean the same thing every time?

Ah!

It all depends on what the meaning of "stay the course" is, right?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:29 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Ah!

Thats true.
And someone with a basic grasp of the english language can understand the difference, based on the context and how it is used in a sentence.
Do you have that basic grasp, or dont you?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:29 pm
Advocate wrote:
Bush's Top Ten Lies

http://www.bushlies.net/

Well, now that #1 was dispatched as nothing, take #2, no lie again, I agree 100% with Bush, that the Democrats policy was to treat terrorism as a crime, not an act of war. This one is also not hard to figure out. The Left is taking a difference in interpretation and political policy and trying to twist it into a lie.

Such is still the case, as amply demonstated by the Democrats desire to grant enemy combatants all the rights of a someone committing a crime in the U.S. and receiving all the rights of a criminal court.

I suppose the Left wants our soldiers to read the enemy all of his rights before he shoots him on the battlefield? These people truly are nuts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:31 pm
Yes, it is a simple case: Bush has prolonged this war on his "stay the course" rehtoric without explaining what the "goal" or "success" in Iraq entailed. If it's bring democracy to the Middle East, he fails the laugh test; the Muslim world is not going to convert to democracy any time soon; not during the lifetimes of all those alive today.

Bush also fails history; Iraq has been in a civil war for over one thousand years.

So, please explain what "stay the course" really means?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:36 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Yes, it is a simple case: Bush has prolonged this war on his "stay the course" rehtoric without explaining what the "goal" or "success" in Iraq entailed. If it's bring democracy to the Middle East, he fails the laugh test; the Muslim world is not going to convert to democracy any time soon; not during the lifetimes of all those alive today.

Bush also fails history; Iraq has been in a civil war for over one thousand years.

What if I said I am going to Kansas City, and I don't intend upon not going there. But what if I said I am changing the route that I am taking, so does that mean I am staying the course. In one regard, yes, in another regard, no. Now if you have a brain larger than a pinhead, can you grasp that concept?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:37 pm
mysteryman wrote:
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Ah!

Thats true.
And someone with a basic grasp of the english language can understand the difference, based on the context and how it is used in a sentence.

Don't really know. I'm a ferriner. English's not my first language.

Then again, I guess it makes sense to say that it'd depend on the context what the meaning of "is" or "stay the course" would be.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:41 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Agreed

Not true, it was relatively calm under Saddam.
But, I understand the point you are trying to make, and I will agree with the general concept.

But, if I want to be as obtuse as you are, I would ask you to prove your statement about Iraq being in a civil war for over one thousand years

It has been explained, you just choose to ignore the explanation.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:43 pm
Old Europe - you're not the ghost of Professor Derrida by any chance?!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:44 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Ah!

Thats true.

Don't really know. I'm a ferriner. English's not my first language.

Then again, I guess it makes sense to say that it'd depend on the context what the meaning of "is" or "stay the course" would be.

That is exactly the point, but CI has decided that it can only mean one thing, no matter what the context.
CI has willingly chosen to be ignorant.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:45 pm
okie, Unfortunately, the pinhead belongs on your shoulders. When Bush continued his rhetoric about "stay the course," the majority in this world could only assume he meant only one thing: stay the course based on past performance and actions. Without his ability to articulate what he meant is not the listerners problem. The blame lies with the person making the statement.

But then, only pinheads could understand what he meant.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:57 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
okie, Unfortunately, the pinhead belongs on your shoulders. When Bush continued his rhetoric about "stay the course," the majority in this world could only assume he meant only one thing: stay the course based on past performance and actions. Without his ability to articulate what he meant is not the listerners problem. The blame lies with the person making the statement.

But then, only pinheads could understand what he meant.

But the blame should be that of poor communication skills, not lying. That is my point. I understood the context of what he meant when this whole thing came up originally, and I think this supposed lie is nothing more than being spun into a supposed lie by his opponents taking the statements out of context, not lying.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 04:01 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Advocate wrote:
There is no way that Clinton was a serial liar. Bush, however, was and is.

Clinton is an admitted liar, who lied under oath; Bush is not.

But Bush lied us into a war. That lie has been ruinous to our country. Clinton's lie about a bj is of no import.
0 Replies