Milk Allergy?

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:44 pm
I am starting to think I might be allergic to milk, rather than intolerant of it....I have been breaking out in a rash horribly latly and I can only attribute it to one to two things: dairy or citric acid. I used to be very sensitive to citric acid when I was a teen and allergic to milk when I was a baby. Can it go away and then come back again?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,486 • Replies: 28
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:49 pm
No.
well.. im not positive about that, but my guess is that once you are allergic, you are ALWAYS allergic.

Now, if your allergy is subject to the AMOUNT that you are exposed to.. it may seem that it has gone away if you are not drinking a certain amount of milk on a regular basis. And then, when you have more then you are used to.. the allergy shows up..

doesnt mean it went away at all..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:52 pm
Right - I think there is a tolerance level that once surpassed flags the already primed immune system...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:56 pm
I don't think my milk in take has increased since I found out I was lactose intolerant...so you are saying the allergy actually got worse which is why a smaller amount is effecting me? When I say break out, I mean all over my stomach and chest. Red dots that look like chicken pox...some raised some flat. Not itchy really...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 02:03 pm
hmm..
my mind is a bit scrambled so if I ramble.. forgive me.. BUT

yeah, allergies like that CAN get worse.
example Mr wolf is allergic to wheat. If he goes several days with no wheat, then eats some no matter the amount, his reaction is small.
Constant exposure to wheat and even the smallest piece can set his stomach off into worse convulsions then when he had the first peice a week ago..
Your body becomes more and more damaged by exposure the longer you ingest it. To thepoint that your body just cant take it and reacts worse then ever to the smallest amount.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 02:11 pm
that will suck if that's the case...how do you find out you are allergic?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 02:15 pm
there is something called an alcat test that they do on your blood to tell you all the foods you are allergic to. had it. i can't say i really trust it because i shouldn't be able to eat any meat other than lamb, and i shouldn't be able to eat any grain other than rice and i can. but its how i found out i was allergic to something in milk (some vitamin or something found in milk) that acted just like i was lactose intolerant. it is also how i found out i was supposedly allergic to msg...yeah i'm chinese...cmon, but lo and behold two weekends ago...swollen eyes, labored breathing, swollen throat..yeah that'll show me.

however, most health plans don't cover the alcat test...i had to pay $500 for it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 02:19 pm
I am allergic to MSG for sure and I didn't need a test for that other than eating it...whew...that is NOT a fun time.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 02:37 pm
the alcat is simple, they just draw some blood as opposed to your other testing you had done earlier...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:21 am
Well, I am farily sure that I am allergic to milk. I woke up yesterday and the rash was there a little. I ate a bagle with cream cheese and had creamer in my milk yesterday morning. All day I had the rash that looked like chicken pox. I didn't have any more dairy all day. This mornig I woke up and low and behold, the rash is almost gone. I can almost confirm that the diary is what did it. So now the question is....what CAN I eat?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:33 am
Bella Dea wrote:
had creamer in my milk yesterday morning.

boy, i think you over did it there... Laughing

stinks, you have to get those non-dairy powder creamers. they are nothing like the real thing. coffee will never be the same.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:37 am
dragon49 wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
had creamer in my milk yesterday morning.

boy, i think you over did it there... Laughing

stinks, you have to get those non-dairy powder creamers. they are nothing like the real thing. coffee will never be the same.

Laughing I put A LOT of creamer in my coffee. Like 3 of those little cup thingys. The single serving things. You know...

And I know...I HATE powder creamer. It just....sucks. I have it in my coffee this morning. Mad
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:54 am
the thing that really stinks...no all natural ice cream...ugh, that kills me...i do it anyway, just have to warn hubby before hand...he tries to clear out
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:59 am
I think I am both lactose intolerant AND allergic, if that's possible. Because lactaid helps with the cramping and wind....but not with the rash.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:07 am
i like just a little coffee with my cup of creamer.

try international delight liquid creamer.
it is non dairy and tastes FABULOUS
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:12 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I think I am both lactose intolerant AND allergic, if that's possible. Because lactaid helps with the cramping and wind....but not with the rash.

my allergist said they go hand in hand so you are probably right. i get the cramping and the wind, but i just get sinus headaches associated with it, not the hives (i definitely prefer the headache to the hives Confused )
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:13 am
( singing )

DUUUUUUUUUUUST in the wind

allll we are is dust in the WIIIIIIIIIIND
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:34 am
dragon49 wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

my allergist said they go hand in hand so you are probably right. i get the cramping and the wind, but i just get sinus headaches associated with it, not the hives (i definitely prefer the headache to the hives Confused )

I get headaches ALL the time! I had no idea it could be associated with the dairy!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:53 am
http://www.lactose.co.uk/milkallergy/
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:09 am
Skin Reactions:
Itchy red rash
Hives - yes
Eczema
Swelling of lips, mouth, tongue, face or throat
Allergic "Shiners" (black eyes) - yes

Stomach and Intestinal Reactions:

Abdominal pain and bloating -YES!

Diarrhea (usually very runny) -sometimes

Vomiting - only if I eat A LOT

Gas/wind - YES!

Cramps - YES!

Nose, Throat and Lung Reactions:

Runny Nose - yes
Sneezing - yes
Watery and/or Itchy eyes
Coughing -yes
Wheezing
Shortness of Breath - yes

So, do you think my assesment is correct? Going to not ingest dairy for the weekend and see if any of the above symptoms go away.
0 Replies