Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:51 am
real life wrote:

Certainly the pregnant woman has rights, but also responsibility.

This is the anti-Choice way of saying the fetus has rights that take away the pregnant woman's rights.

Quote:

If a woman drives a car with herself and another as a passenger, she also is responsible for the safety of her passenger. He rides with her and she must protect not only herself but her charge.

Just being the driver doesn't give her greater rights and only responsibility for herself alone. Far from it.

This is simply another way the anti-Choice people have of saying the fetus has rights that take away the pregnant woman's rights.

(By the way...can the driver of a car decide to pull over and say "I no longer want to drive"...or, once driving, are they required by some god to continue driving until they get to a particular destination...no matter what?)
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:30 am
Quote:
This is the anti-Choice way of saying the fetus has rights that take away the pregnant woman's rights.

Anti-choice........since when does anyone have the legal choice to murder?

The way I see it is, the choice is when the mother decides to have sex...that is her choice....but when a sperm meets up with the egg, the developement of the human begins. It then becomes the woman's responsibility.

If the idea of abortion wasn't even conceived (no pun intended), would people think any less of what is growing inside the mother?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:53 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:

If the idea of abortion wasn't even conceived (no pun intended), would people think any less of what is growing inside the mother?

Apparently so, since the idea WAS conceived. That shows that there was some thought along those lines beforehand.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:58 am
Or was it only an escape of responsibility, from which the defenseless got the blow?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:01 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Or was it only an escape of responsibility, from which the defenseless got the blow?

How pedantic.

It's also as likely that some woman was raped and didn't want to deliver the bastard's child. (no pun intended)
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:04 am
What if people who got fixed via whatever method didn't have to pay taxes the rest of their lives ?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:13 am
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
What if people who got fixed via whatever method didn't have to pay taxes the rest of their lives ?

Interesting idea, though i'm not sure how it really fits in with the current discussion.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:23 am
Quote:
(By the way...can the driver of a car decide to pull over and say "I no longer want to drive"...or, once driving, are they required by some god to continue driving until they get to a particular destination...no matter what?)

If the driver voluntarily accepted a helpless passenger, then later pulled over and abandoned that passenger who died as a result, the law would have something to say about it. Evenmoreso, there would be consequences if the reason for abandoning the passenger was purely one of convenience. We do have a degree of responsibility for the welfare of others that we choose to place in our custody and care. This is the argument for the prolife people.

Many (most?) of the pro-choice-in-all-circumstances crowd choose not to consider the unborn baby a person until it is born. If that is the case, then there should be no consequence for the mother who takes drugs, drinks excessively, or otherwise harms her unborn baby who is later born damaged, yet many in the pro choice crowd believe the law should be able to intervene in such cases. And there should be no additional consequence for the killing of an unborn baby when the mother is murdered, yet the State of California passed such a law and others are considering similar legislation.

Some of the prolife group consider a fertilized egg sacrament under all circumstances, and while I do not necessarily share that belief, I do respect it.

All of the pro life group consider a baby, born or unborn, that has a formed body, brain, and a beating heart to be a human being whether still in the womb, in an incubator, or a full term baby that has left the mother's body. The idea of killing that person for convenience is indefensible.

In every other circumstance, the women who risks a communicable disease, obesity, complications of diabetes, addiction, etc. etc. etc. is required to accept the consequences of her behavior that incurs such risk. In each case she had a choice. And it is also a choice the woman should make before she takes the risk of pregnancy.

But once the risk is voluntarily taken and she becomes pregnant, she has voluntarily taken on a helpless passenger, and in my view she is responsible for its well being.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:04 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:

If the driver voluntarily accepted a helpless passenger, then later pulled over and abandoned that passenger who died as a result, the law would have something to say about it. Evenmoreso, there would be consequences if the reason for abandoning the passenger was purely one of convenience. We do have a degree of responsibility for the welfare of others that we choose to place in our custody and care. This is the argument for the prolife people.

Good point Foxfyre.

You cannot equate the actions of one who simply decides to drop off the passenger with the actions of another who kills the passenger and leaves him dead by the roadside.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:13 am
real life wrote:

Good point Foxfyre.

You cannot equate the actions of one who simply decides to drop off the passenger with the actions of another who kills the passenger and leaves him dead by the roadside.

These are all good points. But lets look at it from the other side for a bit, using the same analogy.

You're driving down the road with one door missing on your car. As you're driving, minding your own business someone jumps into you car and puts on the seatbelt. Are you then responsible for this person's well-being?

And another view: You're driving down the road with your doors locked and rolled up. You pull up to a red light and someone bashes in your window and jumps into your car. Are you now responsible for this person's well being?

Foxfyre wrote:

Many (most?) of the pro-choice-in-all-circumstances crowd choose not to consider the unborn baby a person until it is born. If that is the case, then there should be no consequence for the mother who takes drugs, drinks excessively, or otherwise harms her unborn baby who is later born damaged, yet many in the pro choice crowd believe the law should be able to intervene in such cases. And there should be no additional consequence for the killing of an unborn baby when the mother is murdered, yet the State of California passed such a law and others are considering similar legislation.

A good point FF. However there is a definable difference between aborting a fetus for whatever reason, and knowingly damaging a fetus that you fully intend to give birth to and raise. This again comes to the crux of the pro-choice argument that a fetus isn't a human until it's born. In your example above, you're aborting a fetus, but permanently damaging a human.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:38 am
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:

Good point Foxfyre.

These are all good points. But lets look at it from the other side for a bit, using the same analogy.

You're driving down the road with one door missing on your car. As you're driving, minding your own business someone jumps into you car and puts on the seatbelt. Are you then responsible for this person's well-being?

And another view: You're driving down the road with your doors locked and rolled up. You pull up to a red light and someone bashes in your window and jumps into your car. Are you now responsible for this person's well being?

Are you seriously asking if the same violence that would be appropriate to rid yourself of a carjacking criminal is also appropriate against a defenseless infant who is there thru no choice of their own?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:51 am
Quote:

You still aren't allowed to kill them.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:54 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

You still aren't allowed to kill them.

No, but are you responsible if you put them out on the side of the road?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:55 am
Which would be the equivalent of......adoption?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:55 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:

As Questioner has already pointed out...the idea of using an analogy that contains "voluntarily accepting"...has flaws in this instance.

What about the 13 year old girl of my earlier hypothetical empregnated by her father?

Did she "voluntarily pick up a helpless passenger (no pun intended)?

And if it is okay to abort "an innocent, living human being" in that circumstance...why is it not okay in others?

Quote:

Well...that may be more a function of religious zealots getting their petulant way than a function of whether or not a small group of undifferentiated cells is a living human being.

And in any case...I...an ardent supporter of a woman's right to choose...am an advocate for laws that protect a fetus from someone other than the mother deciding to end the pregnancy.

This argument of yours lacks any kind of substance.

Quote:
Some of the prolife group consider a fertilized egg sacrament under all circumstances, and while I do not necessarily share that belief, I do respect it.

That is your choice. Frankly, I think it is absurdity in motion.

Quote:
All of the pro life group consider a baby, born or unborn, that has a formed body, brain, and a beating heart to be a human being whether still in the womb, in an incubator, or a full term baby that has left the mother's body. The idea of killing that person for convenience is indefensible.

Well....the people who want to restrict a woman's right to have dominion over her own body can feel that way if they choose...but I think it is an absurd notion. And to consider it "killing a person" is gratuitous...just as Thunders characterization of it being "murder" is gratuituous.

But I hope you continue doing it...because that kind of nonsense certainly helps my side of this argument.

Quote:
In every other circumstance, the women who risks a communicable disease, obesity, complications of diabetes, addiction, etc. etc. etc. is required to accept the consequences of her behavior that incurs such risk. In each case she had a choice. And it is also a choice the woman should make before she takes the risk of pregnancy.

In other words...a woman has to give up certain fundamental rights in order to have intercourse!!!!

Egad!

Quote:
But once the risk is voluntarily taken and she becomes pregnant, she has voluntarily taken on a helpless passenger, and in my view she is responsible for its well being.

Wiser minds think otherwise...and I can only hope that wiser minds will continue to prevail.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:58 am
real life wrote:

Are you seriously asking if the same violence that would be appropriate to rid yourself of a carjacking criminal is also appropriate against a defenseless infant who is there thru no choice of their own?

No, I'm attempting to use the same analogy provided earlier to show that there are extenuating circumstances for everything. Flat out declaring something evil, immoral, and wrong doesn't always fit. And I don't think I mentioned violence of any kind. The analogy was that if you had someone in your vehicle you would be responsible for them. I'm attempting to find out if you believe that applies for people that came into your vehicle unwanted or unwelcome.

I've been trying to respect your posts, and give straightforward answers, comments and questions. Please stop coloring my comments with your own, inaccurate versions simply because it suits your needs.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:03 am
I think a more accurate analogy would be; a stranger puts a child in your car...what do you do? Kill the kid? Put them up for adoption?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:04 am
Bottom line on this thing:

Any woman considering an abortion is going through one of the most agonizing, stressful processes she is likely ever to encounter.

You religious zealots ought to BUTT OUT!

For you people to make such a difficult decision more agonizing and more stressful with your silly prattle about "killing a baby" or "murder" is one of the most indefensible, inhumane bits of conduct any humans on this planet engage in.

If there is a Hell...and if there is a place in that Hell for abortionists...there is also one for people who do the kind of things you are doing...only deeper into Hell.

BUTT OUT OF IT!

And if you religious zealots are worried about the fetus...well, consider two things:

One...if it is a full, living human being...it has this soul you folks are always talking about...and the soul, pure and innocent, is going to Heaven to spend eternity with your god.

Two...how do you know that is not a part of your god's plans for this particular being? How do you know that each "life you save" is not simply creating a person who would have spent eternity in Heaven if youl had not intervened...but who spends an eternity in Hell because it becomes an abortionist?

BUTT OUT OF IT!
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:08 am
It has nothing to do with religion Frank, it has to do with legality...and the last time I checked, murder was never backed by our laws.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:10 am
Those that oppose abortion are in favor of life.
Those that are in favor of abortion are opposed to life.

It's not about religious zealotry ... it's about having a moral code.

Now, care to explain why those opposed to abortion are going to find a place in Hell because they would require a mother to bear her child?
0 Replies