Eorl

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 03:58 pm
Yes, I consider the damage to be the same Intrepid.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 04:09 pm
You actually admit that you conisder accidental death and murder to be the same??????
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 04:12 pm
No, read again.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 04:22 pm
Hi Eorl,

No, you miss my point.

The amount of grief one may 'experience' in the wake of death is a completely separate issue than 'has a human life been taken?'

Some women may have extreme guilt, anguish and remorse over their abortion. Some may say they experienced little or none.

Their subjective experiences do not define whether the unborn that was terminated was a living human being or not.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 04:35 pm
real life,

If you remove the rhetorical language, you can look objectively at the value of that which is lost....and subjective value is absolutely the point.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:25 pm
real life wrote:

So, back to the topic DS. Did you figure out that the Christian right is not the driving force behind the pro-life movement?

So then, I suppose catholics are the non-christian left?
You don't get much more right or christian than the catholics, and I see the catholic/protestant distinction to be ultimately meaningless. Christians are christians, and right is right.
Quote:

Yeah that's a good one. 'My' myopic use of the word, eh? So anytime someone wants to completely make up a new definition of a word, and someone says 'that's not what the word means' --they're myopic

You are turning a specific into a generalization. One of your more over used rhetorical dodges, don't you think?
That to you, 'god' can only mean what you define god as speaks volumes.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:36 pm
Some would say that the Catholics are closer to left. Then, you have those, like me, who are neither left or right. An opinion with no slot to fit into. I am neither Catholic or "Religious Right" Then again, the "Religious Right" is mainly a product of the U.S.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:45 pm
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:

So, back to the topic DS. Did you figure out that the Christian right is not the driving force behind the pro-life movement?

So then, I suppose catholics are the non-christian left?
You don't get much more right or christian than the catholics, and I see the catholic/protestant distinction to be ultimately meaningless. Christians are christians, and right is right.

Your attempt at logic is pitiful. If I tell you I am not an African-American, are you going to conclude that I am not an American?

Catholics are generally not identified with the Christian right. That in no way can be twisted (except by someone who thinks himself to be god ) to say that Catholics are non-christian.

Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:

Yeah that's a good one. 'My' myopic use of the word, eh? So anytime someone wants to completely make up a new definition of a word, and someone says 'that's not what the word means' --they're myopic

You are turning a specific into a generalization. One of your more over used rhetorical dodges, don't you think?
That to you, 'god' can only mean what you define god as speaks volumes.

Communication is accomplished when words have commonly agreed upon definitions.

Ask 10,000 people the definition of 'god' and I'll wager not one of them answers 'someone who thinks they are god', or 'an auto-theist' or 'someone to whom himself is supreme' or anything else resembling your usage of the word.

DS, if you choose to use an eccentric definition of 'god' to prop up your ego, go for it. But don't be surprised when the world doesn't play into your delusion.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:46 pm
Well, I'm talking more about the vatican. The war on abortion, the war on contraception, et al.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:49 pm
Eorl wrote:
real life,

If you remove the rhetorical language, you can look objectively at the value of that which is lost....and subjective value is absolutely the point.

The fact that people experience different levels of grief under different circumstances in no way means that one person's life is worth less than another's.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:58 pm
real life wrote:

Your attempt at logic is pitiful. If I tell you I am not an African-American, are you going to conclude that I am not an American?

Wow, now you're just rambling. Am I really being lectured on logic by someone who has logically concluded his imaginary friend poofed the world into existence roughly 6000 years ago?
That's HOT!

Anyway, as usual you seem to have completely missed the point. Catholics are christians. Catholics are (less so than they used to be, admittedly) right wingers.
Your objection is absurd.

Quote:

Ask 10,000 people the definition of 'god' and I'll wager not one of them answers 'someone who thinks they are god', or 'an auto-theist' or 'someone to whom himself is supreme' or anything else resembling your usage of the word.

I am now 100% convinced you have no idea what my position even is, as none of your ridiculous examples are anywhere even close. Pathetic, seriously, pathetic.
Here is a hint - god is a psychological construct. Now your next barrage of ad-homs and mischaracterizations can at least contain an element of truth.
Enjoy.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:59 pm
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:
real life,

The fact that people experience different levels of grief under different circumstances in no way means that one person's life is worth less than another's.

What defines a persons worth?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:59 pm
Level of grief does not and should not have any bearing on whether it is permissible to abort a baby. It is wrong regardless of the lack of grief just as a miscarriage is unfortunate regardless of the amount of grief.

One is killing a baby and the other is the unfortunate early unavoidable death of a baby.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:01 pm
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:
real life,

What value do you place on your own life?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Quote:

It is wrong

Say's who?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

It is wrong

Say's who?

Responsible, intelligent, caring and moral people.... that's who.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:03 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:
real life,

What value do you place on your own life?

The highest.
But I don't get upset when I read about a plane crash or how many strangers had died of cancer that week.
And I would wager you don't either.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:04 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

It is wrong

Say's who?

Responsible, intelligent, caring and moral people.... that's who.

In other words, people just like you, that share your ethical values?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:05 pm
Not just like me. Many, many people with differerent views and values than me do, however, share the reverence for human life. What do you value?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:06 pm
Intrepid - face it. Right and wrong? You're gonna have to dumb down the conversation considerably to reach some folk (or throw in a buncha mystical sounding psychobabble - same dif). You gotta get to the level of your audience, y'know?
0 Replies