Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 05:58 pm
Oh...another "by the way:"

The answer to that last question was "yes." The answers to the three immediately preceding it were all "no."
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 06:29 am
Yes
Frank Apisa has my full support and vote
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:03 am
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:

Hmmmm. Well okay. There's no reference to that in your post, but if that's what you meant.......

Apologies. You are correct, it wasn't clear.

real life wrote:

Do you then have a different standard for babies born vaginally as opposed to those who come into the world thru Caesarean section?

Absolutely not. I was born premature via Caesarean section.

real life wrote:

When are babies considered human beings, in your view? How much medical attention at birth disqualifies the child from deserving human status, in your view?

In my view? I honestly don't know. I offered that scenario up for discussion. Myself, I have no way of knowing at what point a fetus is to be considered a human. I have yet to hear a qualified explanation of what being "human" entails. I do know that noone seems to have a problem removing a uteris, an egg, taking a morning after pill etc. However, for some reason when the egg is successfully fertilized everything becomes taboo.

real life wrote:

Even healthy babies require quite a bit of care and will die soon if not cared for and protected. 'Viability' is a term that has little actual meaning if we expect babies to live on their own without help.

Naturally. Perhaps it would have been better phrased as "standard" medical treatment. Essentially what I was trying to describe is if the fetus is removed and can't live via standard hospital practices (ie: no testtubes, no growing in a chemical bath, nothing other than what any child born premature either by Caesarean section or regular child birth would or has required.) And yes, there are and always will be special cases. I understand that.

real life wrote:

Do they have to be self sufficient? That might delay things until they are say 18 years old or so.

Obviously not.

real life wrote:

Just when do you think it is no longer ok for a mother to kill her child?

The obvious answer to that is never. However, the topic of discussion here is when the zygote/egg/sperm/whatever is really a human, and not a parasite. This is what I'M trying to discern. Thus the offered theory above.

real life wrote:

This all goes back to Runner's question which you were completely unable to handle. How many cells does the unborn have to have before he is a human being with a right to live?

Unable to handle? I guess I don't know which one you're speaking of exactly. I'd be happy to "handle" it if you'd like to point it out to me again.

real life wrote:

You are unable to define a point at which the child is not a human or alive.

This is fact. I've stated this numerous times. I don't KNOW that point. Noone does. If anyone truly did this entire topic would be moot now, wouldn't it?

real life wrote:

Do you know why it is so difficult? Because there is no point at which he is not human or alive until he is put to death in the abortion clinic by chemical poisoning in a saline abortion or sliced and hacked to pieces in a D&C abortion or has the base of his skull pierced as his arms and legs hang outside the womb and has his brain sucked out by a vacuum in a partial birth abortion or......(enter favorite abortion technique here)

No point? This gets back to the crux of what I am attempting to discover. The fertilized egg is a human? Or it is merely an lump of cells that will one day become human? Is that the same thing? Could be, but i'm not convinced it is. How far back will you take that? THIS is the point that you and runner have avoided, or in your words "couldn't handle". Is an egg human? A sperm? All of these things have the potential to be a human. That they aren't is sometimes chance, sometimes design.

This is something I'd like to know. I'm not dead set one way or the other. One argument just seems to make more sense to me, that's all. This is where my scenario comes into play.

So far, the only real arguments i'm hearing from the other side of the fence are tear-jerking bits on how the abortions are performed (and yes, they are ghastly if being performed on a living, sentient being) and metaphors about slaves and other such things. I'm conflicted here. Partial birth abortion makes me want to heave. I can't imagine that being performed on anything. Removing an embryo from the womb? That doesn't produce the same effect. At all.

Simply tell us how many cells you think are required to be considered human. Don't be coy.

If you are truly not sure if an unborn child is a living human being at any given point, then shouldn't the benefit of the doubt go to the unborn child?

Why would you approve a procedure that you think 'may' result in killing an innocent human being?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:08 am
real life wrote:

Simply tell us how many cells you think are required to be considered human. Don't be coy.

If you are truly not sure if an unborn child is a living human being at any given point, then shouldn't the benefit of the doubt go to the unborn child?

Why would you approve a procedure that you think 'may' result in killing an innocent human being?

Ok. First of all, show me one instance where I have said that I support any procedure? I've made it abundantly clear throughout my posts that I am looking for answers, not making decisions. If you can't get that through your apparently thick head, then please refrain from making comments about what you think I may approve of.

I'm not being coy in the least. I'm asking questions. Either provide answers or leave it alone.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:03 am
real life wrote:
[

If you are truly not sure if an unborn child is a living human being...

There is no "unborn child"...there is a fetus.

And the fetus will become a "living human being" when and if it is born.

Quote:
...at any given point, then shouldn't the benefit of the doubt go to the unborn child?

No.

Quote:

Happens all the time...and many of the holy rollers among us...like you...approve of it.

Think about it.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:48 am
Which innocents do you speak of?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:02 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:

Surely he's not speaking of murderers who deserve and receive the death penalty ...

In any event, his glib "happens all the time" response hardly answers the question posed, which asked him why he would approve of such a procedure.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:09 am
Yeah, innocent babies, are not comparable to murderers and rapists.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:14 am
Ticomaya wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:

Surely he's not speaking of murderers who deserve and receive the death penalty ...

In any event, his glib "happens all the time" response hardly answers the question posed, which asked him why he would approve of such a procedure.

The question does not apply to me because I do not see an abortion as a procedure which may result in the killing of an innocent human being.

I do, however, oppose unnecessary wars...like the one you support over in Iraq, Tico...for the very reason that they often result in the unnecessary killing of innocent human beings. And there is no doubt that these are fully living human beings....not fetuses.

Yeah...wars often kill innocent people. That is why I would like to think we use war as a last resort...rather than the way the moron in chief moved us toward this one.

Now...have I answered all the questions?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:15 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Yeah, innocent babies, are not comparable to murderers and rapists.

Absolutely right...which makes me wonder why so many people like you and Tico seem to see nothing wrong with an unnecessary and foolish war that is killing so many innocent babies.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:20 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

Yes, I believe so.

And you're still wrong.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:30 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Yes, I believe so.

And you're still wrong.

Oh, so glib!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:49 pm
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:

Ok. First of all, show me one instance where I have said that I support any procedure? I've made it abundantly clear throughout my posts that I am looking for answers, not making decisions. If you can't get that through your apparently thick head, then please refrain from making comments about what you think I may approve of.

I'm not being coy in the least. I'm asking questions. Either provide answers or leave it alone.

Hi ?er,

I don't think I said you supported anything. I asked a hypothetical question.

If you are looking for answers, are you not going to use those answers to make a decision? Seems like a rather artificial distinction.

The answers I have provided previously you didn't like. The questions I've asked you've dodged. You are rather hard to please.

But, I'll try again:

Answer: From the moment of conception, a human life has begun. This living being has a distinct DNA pattern that distinguishes it from his mother i.e. he is NOT 'part of the mother's body'. He will develop a heartbeat before his 4th week is done and brain waves have been recorded by the 6th week.

He needs nourishment, protection and time to be born into the world. He has a right to live and this right should be protected by law, common sense and morality, etc. But currently it isn't in many countries.

Question (in case you didn't like that answer): If you are not sure that the unborn is a living human when he is small and composed of relatively few cells, how many cells does he need before you consider him a living human?

Question : Some may argue that we may NEVER know EXACTLY when human life begins. If you are still uncertain that the unborn is indeed a living human being { and believe me, I can understand why you could be } , shouldn't the benefit of the doubt be in favor of life, instead of death?

We have laws that tell us to drive cautiously, erect safety barriers, etc so that IF a person MAY HAPPEN to be in the vicinity of what we are doing, we will not be acting in a manner that will endanger their lives. Isn't it common sense to exercise caution and avoid endangerment of an innocent life in any situation, when possible?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 04:06 pm
real life wrote:
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:

Hi ?er,

If you are looking for answers, are you not going to use those answers to make a decision? Seems like a rather artificial distinction.

The answers I have provided previously you didn't like. The questions I've asked you've dodged. You are rather hard to please.

But, I'll try again:

Answer: From the moment of conception, a human life has begun. This living being has a distinct DNA pattern that distinguishes it from his mother i.e. he is NOT 'part of the mother's body'. He will develop a heartbeat before his 4th week is done and brain waves have been recorded by the 6th week.

He needs nourishment, protection and time to be born into the world. He has a right to live and this right should be protected by law, common sense and morality, etc. But currently it isn't in many countries.

Question (in case you didn't like that answer): If you are not sure that the unborn is a living human when he is small and composed of relatively few cells, how many cells does he need before you consider him a living human?

Question : Some may argue that we may NEVER know EXACTLY when human life begins. If you are still uncertain that the unborn is indeed a living human being { and believe me, I can understand why you could be } , shouldn't the benefit of the doubt be in favor of life, instead of death?

We have laws that tell us to drive cautiously, erect safety barriers, etc so that IF a person MAY HAPPEN to be in the vicinity of what we are doing, we will not be acting in a manner that will endanger their lives. Isn't it common sense to exercise caution and avoid endangerment of an innocent life in any situation, when possible?

All these things have been answered time after time, Questioner. Life is not interested in an answer...he/she is interested in asking the questions...apparently thinking that if he asks them enough times and with enough of that anti-choice rhetoric...it will make a difference.

Life and others like him will continue to assert that a clump of tissue composed of four or eight cells already is a living human being...and that it has rights that cause a woman to lose her's.

That will never be a valid argument...even if people like George Bush eventually pack the Supreme Court with people who want to reverse Roe v. Wade (something I think will never be done.)

A pregnant woman has a right to decide she no longer wishes to continue her pregnancy...and has the right to terminate it. She should also have a right to a safe abortion rather than depending on someone working in a back alley with a coat hanger.

The zygote, embryo, or fetus...or a tiny clump of undifferentiated cells...do not have any rights that take those rights away from any woman.

In the meantime...if you want to have an intelligent conversation about this topic...and the concerns you obviously have on the issue...I would suggest that Life is the wrong person with whom to attempt it.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 04:38 pm
real life wrote:

You said:
real life wrote:

So if not a direct statement, you will admit it was a loaded question?

real life wrote:

Obviously I will use the answers to form a decision. However, I don't yet have the answers that satisfy my curiosity, so it would be a bit premature to form a stance wouldn't it?

real life wrote:

I've dodged nothing. I perhaps have answered your questions with other questions in order to gain some semblence of clarification. Not agreeing with all of your answers hardly qualifies as "dodged".

real life wrote:

But, I'll try again:

Finally, useful data! I'd be thrilled if you can post links or titles of where you found this information so that I may read it.

real life wrote:

It's not really a matter of quantity of cells. It's as you stated above. At what point should we consider the cells a human. Your evidence is compelling. I'd like to read more about it.

real life wrote:

Perhaps you should. But in that assumption, there is a bit more at stake than is generally argued. First there is the mother's rights. Like it or not, by design it is still the woman's body. By getting pregnant, she then loses the ability to decide what's to be done with her own body?

And at the risk of being accused of "dodging" something you feel I've missed, allow me to ask another question of you. Would you frown upon the IVF treatment? The reason I ask is, the IVF treatment takes fertilized eggs, incubates them until they are ready for use. During this incubation/replacement cycle there is a decent chance that the large majority of the eggs won't survive. Would you consider this akin to abortion? Or does "intent" play a large roll in your reservations?

real life wrote:

We also have laws protecting our freedom and rights, to which you are saying a pregnant woman has less of than one that's not.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 05:55 pm
Questioner....you wrote:

Quote:
First there is the mother's rights. Like it or not, by design it is still the woman's body. By getting pregnant, she then loses the ability to decide what's to be done with her own body?

Do not lose sight of this observation...or your question...during your discussion with Life.

In effect, Life is saying that if a 13 year old girl were raped by her father...and became pregnant as a result...she lost her right to ask for a termination of her pregnancy the second conception took place.

The "rights" Life wants to presume the fertilized egg has, in Life's opinion, trumps any rights the young girl has.

It is an absurd postion, Questioner...and an inhumane one.

Unfortuntely...as you may already realize...there is almost no room for compromise from Life's side of this issue...on the issue.

The moment that side argues that a fertilized egg...from the moment of conception...is "an innocent, living human being"...nothing about the circumstances surrounding the conception makes any difference. If their argument is bought...every fertilized egg is an "innocent, living human being"...due the full protection of the law.

Life more than likely will attempt to avoid dealing with this.

(Others will suggest that there should be circumstances that allow for abortion...such as the one I just mentioned or the "health" of the host. But of course, the moment an exception is made...it will have been acknowledged that sometime the rights of the fetus do not trump the rights of the host....and at that point, questions like Life's question about "how many cells" come into play.)

You seem very capable, Questioner.

Proceed carefully.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 05:57 pm
Watching with interest :-)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:20 pm
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:

Perhaps you should. But in that assumption, there is a bit more at stake than is generally argued. First there is the mother's rights. Like it or not, by design it is still the woman's body. By getting pregnant, she then loses the ability to decide what's to be done with her own body?

And at the risk of being accused of "dodging" something you feel I've missed, allow me to ask another question of you. Would you frown upon the IVF treatment? The reason I ask is, the IVF treatment takes fertilized eggs, incubates them until they are ready for use. During this incubation/replacement cycle there is a decent chance that the large majority of the eggs won't survive. Would you consider this akin to abortion? Or does "intent" play a large roll in your reservations?

real life wrote:

We also have laws protecting our freedom and rights, to which you are saying a pregnant woman has less of than one that's not.

Certainly the pregnant woman has rights, but also responsibility.

If a woman drives a car with herself and another as a passenger, she also is responsible for the safety of her passenger. He rides with her and she must protect not only herself but her charge.

Just being the driver doesn't give her greater rights and only responsibility for herself alone. Far from it.

The mindless mantra "the woman should have the right to control her own body" is a cynical attempt to ignore that there is not 1 body in question here, but 2. Abortionist's lawyers (and used car salesmen) may try to talk fast, but common sense and medical facts tell you that the woman is not the only life being considered.

---------------------

As for IVF, I am not against it in principle, but in normative practice I am against it. The practice of creating multiple unborn children and discarding some or most of them is abominable. If an egg and sperm are joined, it should be with the clear intent that the unborn should be implanted, allowed to mature and be born. I completely understand that this may make the process more expensive and difficult. However, neither our convenience nor our pocketbook should decide our morals.

Experimenting with human lives and discarding them is cruel and inhumane, to say the very least.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:55 pm
RealLife writes
Quote:
Experimenting with human lives and discarding them is cruel and inhumane, to say the very least.

While I am not as adamently anti-abortion under any circumstance as you are, I am certainly not as pro-abortion under any circumstances as some on this thread. While I would like to see abortions limited to only those emergency situations that must be decided by the woman, her doctor, and her God, if she is a believer, I recognize valid reasons that abortion could be necessary, even merciful. I do believe to kill an unborn baby with formed body, brain, and beating heart for purely selfish considerations is murder.

The sideline considerations are just as profound. If, as is currently California law, if someone assaults and kills a pregnant woman, and the baby also dies, he or she is guilty of a double murder. If a baby is not a recognized human being, how can anyone be guilty of murder?

Re experimenting with human lives, another wrenching consideration is the labs who even now are working on cloning a human being. When you think of the experiments before they finally produced a reasonably well-functioning Dolly the Sheep, there were more than 400 failures producing grotesque blunders of nature, many of which suffered terribly before they died. Imagine this repeated in efforts to achieve human cloning. And these experiments will no doubt be implanted in a human womb to grow, and no doubt most will be aborted at some time in their development.

Some here will no doubt have no ethical problem with that. I definitely do.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:13 pm
Hi Foxfyre,

Good to hear from you.

As I have stated previously (but you may have not read), I am not adamantly anti-abortion under any circumstance. Though it is difficult, I think an exception is reasonable where the life of the mother is in imminent danger due to the pregnancy.

This is an extremely rare circumstance indeed , given the state of medical advance we currently benefit from.

(I also think that given the choice between their own lives and that of their child, many women would opt to save their baby rather than themselves. This type of woman is the most noble and honorable in the entire world, but I have little doubt that there are those who would make this choice.)

------------

Regarding cloning, no doubt there are those whose God-complex will not allow them to rest until they clone a human being, leaving many deaths (failed experiments) in their wake.
0 Replies