Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:13 am
Questioner writes
Quote:
A good point FF. However there is a definable difference between aborting a fetus for whatever reason, and knowingly damaging a fetus that you fully intend to give birth to and raise. This again comes to the crux of the pro-choice argument that a fetus isn't a human until it's born. In your example above, you're aborting a fetus, but permanently damaging a human.

Well since I believe aborting a fetus out of convenience and willfully damaging a child you intend to give birth to are both criminal, that part of the equation is a non starter to me. And as abortion ends a life, that is pretty darn damaging.

As to the second part of your argument, that fetus is either a human being or it isn't. If it is, then the period inside the womb is just one phase of human development and the human experience and ethically is deserving of care and concern for its whole existence. And that would assume that abortion for convenience would not be an option.

If it isn't, then the rationale that a woman should have complete control over what she does with her own body should not be compromised simply because she chooses not to abort her baby.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:13 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
It has nothing to do with religion Frank, it has to do with legality...and the last time I checked, murder was never backed by our laws.

When a religious zealot tells you "it has nothing to do with religion"...more than likely, it has everything to do with religion.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:14 am
Quote:
One...if it is a full, living human being...it has this soul you folks are always talking about...and the soul, pure and innocent, is going to Heaven to spend eternity with your god.

That raises the question, why would God bother to give us the gift of life then?

Quote:
Two...how do you know that is not a part of your god's plans for this particular being? How do you know that each "life you save" is not simply creating a person who would have spent eternity in Heaven if youl had not intervened...but who spends an eternity in Hell because it becomes an abortionist?

How many "should've been aborted" children become abortionists? My guess is that they probably value life a little more.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:16 am
Quote:
When a religious zealot tells you "it has nothing to do with religion"...more than likely, it has everything to do with religion.

Actually I've looked at it from both sides, religious and legal, so don't tell me I haven't.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:16 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Those that oppose abortion are in favor of life.

Says you. But you are opposed to abortion...and you are in favor of wars that kill all sorts of innocent people.

Quote:
Those that are in favor of abortion are opposed to life.

That is much too ignorant a comment to rebutt. I'll just chuckle.

Quote:
It's not about religious zealotry ... it's about having a moral code.

When someone tells you it is not about the money...it is about the principle....

...you can bet it is about the money.

When someone tells you it is not about religious zealotry...it is about a moral code...

...you can bet it is about religious zealortry.

Quote:
Now, care to explain why those opposed to abortion are going to find a place in Hell because they would require a mother to bear her child?

I already did. Have someone explain it to you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:19 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Questioner writes
Quote:
A good point FF. However there is a definable difference between aborting a fetus for whatever reason, and knowingly damaging a fetus that you fully intend to give birth to and raise. This again comes to the crux of the pro-choice argument that a fetus isn't a human until it's born. In your example above, you're aborting a fetus, but permanently damaging a human.

Well since I believe aborting a fetus out of convenience and willfully damaging a child you intend to give birth to are both criminal, that part of the equation is a non starter to me. And as abortion ends a life, that is pretty darn damaging.

As to the second part of your argument, that fetus is either a human being or it isn't. If it is, then the period inside the womb is just one phase of human development and the human experience and ethically is deserving of care and concern for its whole existence. And that would assume that abortion for convenience would not be an option.

If it isn't, then the rationale that a woman should have complete control over what she does with her own body should not be compromised simply because she chooses not to abort her baby.

Okay. But a fetus is no more a living human being than an acorn is an oak tree...or an egg a chicken.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:21 am
Foxfyre wrote:

I agree with the first paragraph completely. I don't really understand the point you're making with the second.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:22 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
One...if it is a full, living human being...it has this soul you folks are always talking about...and the soul, pure and innocent, is going to Heaven to spend eternity with your god.

That raises the question, why would God bother to give us the gift of life then?

Hey...its your fairytale, not mine. You answer that.

But you might want to include an explanation of why so many (I understand the majority) of fertilized eggs are spontaneously aborted through miscarriage.

Quote:

Quote:
Two...how do you know that is not a part of your god's plans for this particular being? How do you know that each "life you save" is not simply creating a person who would have spent eternity in Heaven if youl had not intervened...but who spends an eternity in Hell because it becomes an abortionist?

How many "should've been aborted" children become abortionists? My guess is that they probably value life a little more.

Really...is that your guess?

And how many children born in families where there were not really wanted...where abortion was considered and rejected for some reason...where questions of poverty and such play a role...

...become crimanals, deviates, murderers, or brain surgeons?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:40 am
A few more observations:

Those complaining about religious zealots are invoking religion a whole lot more than of the pro life group is, so far as I can tell. I didn't evoke religious principals at all to make my case.

Those deflecting the original illustration to be an univited passenger who jumps in the car are ignoring the voluntary part of the particular analogy I used which is a choice made out of convenience. Rape, incest, etc. is a different discussion.

And yes, a woman (or man) who does not accept the risks of pregnancy should not engage in intercourse unless measures to prevent pregnancy have been taken--vasectomy, tied tubes, etc. Temporary birth control measures are appropriate and recommended for many, but anyone engaging in intercourse should also accept the risk that such measures do at times fail. For me, that is what pro choice should mean and I am 100% pro choice when it is identified as the woman choosing to risk pregnancy or not.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:45 am
Foxfyre wrote
Quote:
If it isn't (a human being) then the rationale that a woman should have complete control over what she does with her own body should not be compromised simply because she chooses not to abort her baby.

Questioner writes
Quote:
I agree with the first paragraph completely. I don't really understand the point you're making with the second.

In other words, if the fetus is not a human being and thus can be discarded at will, and the principle of a woman being in control of her body is the rationale for that, then that principle would have to apply to whatever the woman does whether or not that fetus is brought to full term and is allowed to be born.

To punish a woman for abusing a fetus that she does not abort simply has to be interpreted that the fetus is in fact a growing human being.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:52 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Those complaining about religious zealots are invoking religion a whole lot more than of the pro life group is, so far as I can tell. I didn't evoke religious principals at all to make my case.

Yeah...and the religious zealots pushing Intelligent Design also don't invoke religion a whole lot either.

But that does not mean that their religious zealotry is not the motivating factor.

It just shows they are getting smarter...and more duplicitous.

Quote:

Those deflecting the original illustration to be an univited passenger who jumps in the car are ignoring the voluntary part of the particular analogy I used which is a choice made out of convenience. Rape, incest, etc. is a different discussion.

Well discuss it...because it impacts on what is being said here.

Quote:
And yes, a woman (or man) who does not accept the risks of pregnancy should not engage in intercourse unless measures to prevent pregnancy have been taken--vasectomy, tied tubes, etc.

It must be wonderful to have never made a mistake. I cannot identify with it...but it must be wonderful for you.

Oh, by the way....is making a mistake a reason for taking rights away from a woman?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:55 am
Everybody makes mistakes. And responsible people accept the consequences for them.

Otherwise, it appears that some on the 'a fetus is not a human being' side are running out of ammo and resorting to more and more personal insults. I think the pro life group has won this round. Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:04 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Everybody makes mistakes. And responsible people accept the consequences for them.

Otherwise, it appears that some on the 'a fetus is not a human being' side are running out of ammo and resorting to more and more personal insults. I think the pro life group has won this round. Smile

No one is running out of ammo...on either side.

And if personal insults get involved here...this post of yours can probably be pointed to as the beginning.

In any case...there is a big differnce between accepting responsibility for the consequences of a mistake...and losing one's rights to have control over one's body.

That is really not that difficult a concept. Not sure why some of you folks cannot see it.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:09 am
Foxfyre wrote:

In other words, if the fetus is not a human being and thus can be discarded at will, and the principle of a woman being in control of her body is the rationale for that, then that principle would have to apply to whatever the woman does whether or not that fetus is brought to full term and is allowed to be born.

To punish a woman for abusing a fetus that she does not abort simply has to be interpreted that the fetus is in fact a growing human being.

Interesting point. Truly. The implications of such an argument are substantial to say the least. I accept that point.

Now then, do we begin debating the legalities of a law protecting an unliving thing over a living one?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:26 am
Questioner writes
Quote:
Now then, do we begin debating the legalities of a law protecting an unliving thing over a living one?

This goes back to my original premise. At what point can the law say precisely that a human life is at risk in the womb?

The language of Roe v Wade is exquisite on this point. Boiled down to its elemental components, it says that in the first tri-mester, the state has little or no interest in the developing fetus, in the sec9nd tri-mester increasing interest, and in the third tri-mester a good deal of interest. Now of course this has been gravely corrupted by the pro-abortion lobbies and activist judges who have taken Frank's position that there is no time that an abortion is not ethical or legal because an unborn baby is not a person.

Personally, I do not see it as my prerogative to judge any woman re the decisions she makes in these matters, but that does not prevent me from reasoning that an abortion for convenience is an intentional and willful termination of a human life.

If we as a society come to terms that an unborn baby is in fact a person, then I could see a rationale for holding a woman responsible for willfully harming it.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 01:30 pm
That indeed is the question...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:34 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Questioner writes
Quote:

This goes back to my original premise. At what point can the law say precisely that a human life is at risk in the womb?

The language of Roe v Wade is exquisite on this point. Boiled down to its elemental components, it says that in the first tri-mester, the state has little or no interest in the developing fetus, in the sec9nd tri-mester increasing interest, and in the third tri-mester a good deal of interest. Now of course this has been gravely corrupted by the pro-abortion lobbies and activist judges who have taken Frank's position that there is no time that an abortion is not ethical or legal because an unborn baby is not a person.

Personally, I do not see it as my prerogative to judge any woman re the decisions she makes in these matters, but that does not prevent me from reasoning that an abortion for convenience is an intentional and willful termination of a human life.

If we as a society come to terms that an unborn baby is in fact a person, then I could see a rationale for holding a woman responsible for willfully harming it.

But of course, the converse is true also. IF we as a society come to terms with the fact that a fetus is a fetus...and not a person...then there would be absolutely no rationale for holding a woman responsible for having an abortion should she choose to have one.

And I might point out...

...that pretty much is the state of affairs right now.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:28 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Questioner writes
Quote:

This is a very good point Foxfyre.

Though they hide behind Roe v Wade, as if legality made the thing morally right -- the fans of Roe v Wade apparently don't really believe what it says. The decision actually allowed for the restriction or banning of abortion at certain stages of pregnancy.

But pro-abortion cheerleaders today try to shout you down if you go there.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 02:20 am
real life wrote:

This is a very good point Foxfyre.

Though they hide behind Roe v Wade, as if legality made the thing morally right -- the fans of Roe v Wade apparently don't really believe what it says. The decision actually allowed for the restriction or banning of abortion at certain stages of pregnancy.

But pro-abortion cheerleaders today try to shout you down if you go there.

Just as the people who want to restrict a woman's rights to have dominion over her own body suppose Roe v Wade does not go far enough. They want to take away a woman's rights in order to give rights to a few, undifferentiated cells.

And the people who are cheerleaders for the notion that "women's rights should be subordinate to the rights of a few undifferentiated cells" try to shout you down if you go there.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 03:27 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

Don't know how to explain it any better, Cereal.

The reason I think a woman has a choice is because it is her body that is being used as a host.

If the pregnancy is carried to term...WHICH I SEE TO BE STRICTLY HER CHOICE...a baby results.

The baby is the responsibility of the mother and father...and both should be made to endure the financial costs involved.

That simply is my opinion...and while it may differ from yours...I honestly do not see it as inconsistent. But if you do...I respect your right to do so.

Nothing wrong with your explanation Frank. I appreciate how well you explain things. Just trying to fully understand your logic and point out what I see as an inconsistency.

Would the following be a fair assessment of your point of view.

HER BODY --> HER CHOICE --> HER FETUS --> BIRTH ---> THEIR BABY

and if so what magically happens at birth to make the following inaccurate:

HER BODY --> HER CHOICE --> HER FETUS --> BIRTH ---> HER BABY
0 Replies