Intrepid

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:37 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
A fetus is a fetus...not a living human being.

An acorn is an acorn...not an oak tree.

An egg (even if fertilized) is an egg ...not a chicken.

Why do you have so much trouble with this?

If a fetus can die... it must be a living entity.

The point is that you and others in here have pontificated that a fertilized human egg is a "living human being" from the comment it is fertilized.

If a doctor kills a cancer cell...does that mean the cancer cell was a living human being?

No. And, quite Frankly, I would have expected better from you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:20 am
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Why do you have so much trouble with this?

The point is that you and others in here have pontificated that a fertilized human egg is a "living human being" from the comment it is fertilized.

If a doctor kills a cancer cell...does that mean the cancer cell was a living human being?

Actually...I suspect this was a lot better than you suppose.

Originally you wrote:

Quote:
If a fetus can die...it must be a living entity.

So I asked...if a cancer cell can die...does that mean it must be a living entity?

The problem there is not with my response...but with your original proposition.

I would have expected better from you!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 05:09 am
You didn't ask if it would be a living entity - you asked if it would be a living human being. Which was ridiculous, and if you had any integrity you'd admit that.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:27 am
Abortion isn't suppose to happen in the first place if one takes enough care and responsibility.

But fact that a fetus cannot be considered as an independent entity remains true. The owner (esp. mother) of the fetus has a complete freedom to decide about her actions.

But with that freedom she also gets responsibilities to not to indulge into such behavior where it gets repetitive and harmful.

Every religion says Humanity is the greatest religion of all. Do things that help humans.

Some may Shout, "Abortion is not helping a Fetus. It is also human"

The fetus isn't an entity leaving like a human, thinking like a human yet. It has not earned an identity in the human race or society.

Some may also say "A fetus is a God's gift and should not be aborted"

That is Hippocratic. Coz then you shouldn't even use Umbrella against Rain as it's also God's Gift....
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:10 am
Intrepid wrote:

????
An appendix is something that a person is born with. A fetus is the product of a union between a man and a woman. There are methods to prevent a fetus from beginning.

I find your analogy to be a rather strange one. Are you a student of Frank's? Surprised

Heh. Now that I look at it I can clearly see the absurdness of that comparison. My mind was still tracking on the statement that 1 cell was to be considered a "human".

To get back on track, try this one (sorry if it's already been said, entirely too many pages in this thread for me to read every one):

The fetus should be considered alive once it can be successfully removed from the mother and live under it's own power, or with minimum medical support. Until such time it is nothing more than a collection of cells that would, much like any other cells or organs in the human body, rot and die if removed from the host.

Does that work for anyone?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:35 am
Questioner wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

????
An appendix is something that a person is born with. A fetus is the product of a union between a man and a woman. There are methods to prevent a fetus from beginning.

I find your analogy to be a rather strange one. Are you a student of Frank's? Surprised

Heh. Now that I look at it I can clearly see the absurdness of that comparison. My mind was still tracking on the statement that 1 cell was to be considered a "human".

To get back on track, try this one (sorry if it's already been said, entirely too many pages in this thread for me to read every one):

The fetus should be considered alive once it can be successfully removed from the mother and live under it's own power, or with minimum medical support. Until such time it is nothing more than a collection of cells that would, much like any other cells or organs in the human body, rot and die if removed from the host.

Exactly ... it isn't an independent entity. It has no identity, no power to think or thrive with other living beings. Until it gets born someone else is owner of it.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:24 am
Questioner wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

????

So a child that is born with medical complications and requires more than minimum medical support is not yet alive.

Do I understand your position correctly?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:40 am
vinsan wrote:
Questioner wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

????

Exactly ... it isn't an independent entity. It has no identity, no power to think or thrive with other living beings. Until it gets born someone else is owner of it.

Even when slavery was legal, states often had restrictions on a slave owner to prevent them from killing the slave. (Yes I know the restrictions were often overlooked. No need to argue that.) The point is, the unlimited power you seem to postulate of the "owner" over the life of her "property" is worse than what was legal in the South under slavery.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:50 am
real life wrote:

So a child that is born with medical complications and requires more than minimum medical support is not yet alive.

Not entirely. the keyword in your rephrasing is born. My above statement refers to a fetus removed from the womb by surgical means.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:51 am
real life wrote:
vinsan wrote:
Questioner wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

????

Even when slavery was legal, states often had restrictions on a slave owner to prevent them from killing the slave. (Yes I know the restrictions were often overlooked. No need to argue that.) The point is, the unlimited power you seem to postulate of the "owner" over the life of her "property" is worse than what was legal in the South under slavery.

A slave is baught by the owner for a purpose ... a fetus to be aborted is unwanted and serves no purpose but result of an accident or actions ....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:04 pm
snood wrote:
You didn't ask if it would be a living entity - you asked if it would be a living human being. Which was ridiculous, and if you had any integrity you'd admit that.

The last thing I need in this world is a lesson on integrity from you, Snood.

Here is the genesis of this discussion:

Originally, I wrote:

Quote:

To which intrepid wrote:

Quote:

To which I replied:

Quote:
The point is that you and others in here have pontificated that a fertilized human egg is a "living human being" from the (m)oment it is fertilized.

To which, Intrepid replied:

Quote:

To which I replied:
Quote:
Actually...I suspect this was a lot better than you suppose.

Originally you wrote:

Quote:
If a fetus can die...it must be a living entity.

So I asked...if a cancer cell can die...does that mean it must be a living entity?

The problem there is not with my response...but with your original proposition.

I would have expected better from you!

Now you are questioning my integrity on the basis of the wording being used???

I realize you are grasping at straws...but try to stay on the correct side of the laugh test, Snood.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:20 pm
Blah blah blah.

You used the words "living human being" and you are now acting as if that should be accepted as synonymous with "living entity".

I don't have the time or the inclination to even try to figure out whether your problem is that you're just too small to admit a mistake, or just so dense that you actually think the two terms equivalent.

Either way, the problem is yours, ole fella.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:23 pm
snood wrote:
Blah blah blah.

You used the words "living human being" and you are now acting as if that should be accepted as synonymous with "living entity".

I don't have the time or the inclination to even try to figure out whether your problem is that you're just too small to admit a mistake, or just so dense that you actually think the two terms equivalent.

Either way, the problem is yours, ole fella.

Sorry you are not intellectually capable of following that explanation, but the bottom line is that the only problem here, Snood...is that you just can't get me out from under your skin.

Hey...no problem. If you want to show that you have no control when I'm in the mix...no skin off my nose.

I'm loving your posts, Snood.

I look forward to them...each and every one.

Keep 'em coming.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:32 pm
snood wrote:

Wasn't it Intrepid who made that "connection"?

Frank was responding to where Intrepid seemed to be heading.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:39 pm
ehBeth wrote:
snood wrote:

Wasn't it Intrepid who made that "connection"?

Frank was responding to where Intrepid seemed to be heading.

Thanks for noting that, Beth.

Fact is, Intrepid did more than just "seem to be headed there"...he was there.

The genesis of the discussion that I wrote shows that.

I explained all that to Snood...but he is much too interested in trying to put me down to even consider the explanation.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:

Not entirely. the keyword in your rephrasing is born. My above statement refers to a fetus removed from the womb by surgical means.

Hmmmm. Well okay. There's no reference to that in your post, but if that's what you meant.......

Do you then have a different standard for babies born vaginally as opposed to those who come into the world thru Caesarean section?

When are babies considered human beings, in your view? How much medical attention at birth disqualifies the child from deserving human status, in your view?

Even healthy babies require quite a bit of care and will die soon if not cared for and protected. 'Viability' is a term that has little actual meaning if we expect babies to live on their own without help.

Do they have to be self sufficient? That might delay things until they are say 18 years old or so.

Just when do you think it is no longer ok for a mother to kill her child?

This all goes back to Runner's question which you were completely unable to handle. How many cells does the unborn have to have before he is a human being with a right to live?

You are unable to define a point at which the child is not a human or alive.

Do you know why it is so difficult? Because there is no point at which he is not human or alive until he is put to death in the abortion clinic by chemical poisoning in a saline abortion or sliced and hacked to pieces in a D&C abortion or has the base of his skull pierced as his arms and legs hang outside the womb and has his brain sucked out by a vacuum in a partial birth abortion or......(enter favorite abortion technique here)

After that, you are correct. He is not alive.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:49 pm
real life wrote:
When are babies considered human beings, in your view?

When they become human beings...which is to say, when they are born. This has been answered time and time again...both by me and by others, including Questioner.

How many more times must it be answered?

Quote:

It never is alright to kill a child. But it is alright for a woman to exercise rights over her own body and end a pregnancy if she chooses.

Quote:
This all goes back to Runner's question which you were completely unable to handle. How many cells does the unborn have to have before he is a human being with a right to live?

When a fetus stops being a fetus..it is a human being. Prior to that...it is a fetus.

That has been answered dozens upon dozens of times.

Quote:

Questioner and I both have done that dozens upon dozens of times. You simply want to pretend that we haven't.

Quote:

Do you know why it is so difficult?

It is not difficult. But apparently it is difficult for you to understand.

Quote:
Because there is no point at which he is not human or alive until he is put to death in the abortion clinic by chemical poisoning in a saline abortion or sliced and hacked to pieces in a D&C abortion or has the base of his skull pierced as his arms and legs hang outside the womb and has his brain sucked out by a vacuum in a partial birth abortion or......(enter favorite abortion technique here)

After that, you are correct. He is not alive.

And people ask why I...and others fighting for a woman's right to control her own body...will never give an inch to you people!!!!!

Never!
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:16 pm
real life wrote:

Hmmmm. Well okay. There's no reference to that in your post, but if that's what you meant.......

Apologies. You are correct, it wasn't clear.

real life wrote:

Do you then have a different standard for babies born vaginally as opposed to those who come into the world thru Caesarean section?

Absolutely not. I was born premature via Caesarean section.

real life wrote:

When are babies considered human beings, in your view? How much medical attention at birth disqualifies the child from deserving human status, in your view?

In my view? I honestly don't know. I offered that scenario up for discussion. Myself, I have no way of knowing at what point a fetus is to be considered a human. I have yet to hear a qualified explanation of what being "human" entails. I do know that noone seems to have a problem removing a uteris, an egg, taking a morning after pill etc. However, for some reason when the egg is successfully fertilized everything becomes taboo.

real life wrote:

Even healthy babies require quite a bit of care and will die soon if not cared for and protected. 'Viability' is a term that has little actual meaning if we expect babies to live on their own without help.

Naturally. Perhaps it would have been better phrased as "standard" medical treatment. Essentially what I was trying to describe is if the fetus is removed and can't live via standard hospital practices (ie: no testtubes, no growing in a chemical bath, nothing other than what any child born premature either by Caesarean section or regular child birth would or has required.) And yes, there are and always will be special cases. I understand that.

real life wrote:

Do they have to be self sufficient? That might delay things until they are say 18 years old or so.

Obviously not.

real life wrote:

The obvious answer to that is never. However, the topic of discussion here is when the zygote/egg/sperm/whatever is really a human, and not a parasite. This is what I'M trying to discern. Thus the offered theory above.

real life wrote:

Unable to handle? I guess I don't know which one you're speaking of exactly. I'd be happy to "handle" it if you'd like to point it out to me again.

real life wrote:

This is fact. I've stated this numerous times. I don't KNOW that point. Noone does. If anyone truly did this entire topic would be moot now, wouldn't it?

real life wrote:

Do you know why it is so difficult? Because there is no point at which he is not human or alive until he is put to death in the abortion clinic by chemical poisoning in a saline abortion or sliced and hacked to pieces in a D&C abortion or has the base of his skull pierced as his arms and legs hang outside the womb and has his brain sucked out by a vacuum in a partial birth abortion or......(enter favorite abortion technique here)

No point? This gets back to the crux of what I am attempting to discover. The fertilized egg is a human? Or it is merely an lump of cells that will one day become human? Is that the same thing? Could be, but i'm not convinced it is. How far back will you take that? THIS is the point that you and runner have avoided, or in your words "couldn't handle". Is an egg human? A sperm? All of these things have the potential to be a human. That they aren't is sometimes chance, sometimes design.

This is something I'd like to know. I'm not dead set one way or the other. One argument just seems to make more sense to me, that's all. This is where my scenario comes into play.

So far, the only real arguments i'm hearing from the other side of the fence are tear-jerking bits on how the abortions are performed (and yes, they are ghastly if being performed on a living, sentient being) and metaphors about slaves and other such things. I'm conflicted here. Partial birth abortion makes me want to heave. I can't imagine that being performed on anything. Removing an embryo from the womb? That doesn't produce the same effect. At all.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 05:21 pm
The sticky wicket for even many pro choice people, however, is at what point does that 'clump of cells' constitute a human being? If it is not at conception, then when? That's the question that nobody seems to want to deal with. Who has the authority to make the decision about the precise point that a human being exists?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 05:57 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
The sticky wicket for even many pro choice people, however, is at what point does that 'clump of cells' constitute a human being? If it is not at conception, then when?

I wonder how many more times this has to be answered?

A fetus is a fetus until it is born. There is no sticky wicket there at all except to people who want a clump of cells to be a human being.

But, as I have pointed out several times...and acorn is not an oak tree...and an egg is not a chicken.

Oh, by the way...a fetus is not a human being. It is a fetus.

Quote:
That's the question that nobody seems to want to deal with.

What a laugh. People can deal with it all day...time after time after time...and all you people can do is to claim that they are not....apprently simply because they will not come to the same conclusion you folks do.

Quote:
Who has the authority to make the decision about the precise point that a human being exists?

Do you?

Does MA?

Does an almost certainly fictional god invented by relatively ignorant ancient humans?

Does the IRS?

Try taking a fetus off as a dependent on your income tax return.
0 Replies