baddog1

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:08 pm
Frank:

Quote:
I stand by everything I've said here...and I still maintain that I have not said...nor in any way inferred...by anything said here...that I have no problem with (some areas) of abortion.

Whether or not inferred is ambiguous, and moot at this point. I am satisfied that you indeed have problems with some areas of abortion. I would appreciate it if you would share those "areas" with us that you speak of - not for reasons of debate, but for reasons of potential education.

Quote:
That was a rather large...and completely unwarranted jump there, Baddog.

I have no idea what you mean here Frank.

Quote:
Simply because you "believe" something does not make it so.

Would that assertion also apply to:
Quote:
The "truth"...is that a fetus is a fetus.

How about:
Quote:
When it is an embryo or a fetus...it is living tissue. No one here is disputing that. BUT IT IS NOT A LIVING HUMAN BEING while it is a fetus or an embryo.

Quote:
As you know, I believe the moon is made of green cheese. Therefore the moon is made of green cheese. See my point?

As used in the above referenced quotes of yours and in my statements that you selected; I see a vague yet unrelated analogy. Basically a "stretch" at best.

Quote:
Do me a favor, Dog. Do not attribute any "beliefs" to me. I have on several occasions said that "...it is my opinion that...."...

...and I would prefer that you characterize those things as opinions rather than "beliefs."

I had no hidden agenda in using the term "belief" instead of "opinion". I was in hopes that we were past any diversion by semantics. If you look in Merriam-Websters Thesaurus; the first synonym shown for "opinion" is "belief". However as you requested; I will happily do my best to use the word "opinion" instead of "belief".

Quote:
Well...anything is possible. But I suggest that it is a very far reach to suppose there are women who are saying "Well...people like Frank Apisa think a woman has a right to end a pregnancy should she choose...so I am going to end mine."

It is my strong belief that hundreds of thousands of women have artificially aborted the human-fetus-living beings that grew inside their bodies, fed from their bodies, grew from this food and would have eventually become persons if not terminated at some stage of their pregnancy. And it is also my strong belief that a large percentage of these life-ending decisions were made by women who felt their decisions to end this life were validated by pro-choice advocates such as yourself. Because it is basic human nature to conclude that "if a large group of intelligent, normal people believe it is fine for me to make a decision based solely on my own convenience, and in fact support me in this decision, then by golly, it is OK with me too! In fact, my boyfriend is being a pain, I want to party a few more years before having kids, and besides all of that, I look fat! So this human-fetus-life growing inside of me actually means nothing because it has not exited my birth canal yet, so let's get rid of it."

Quote:
It is my opinion that a woman has a right to end a pregnancy if she chooses for any reasons she has...whenever she chooses to do so.

I guess the humanitarian part of me is saddened by your position. And before you jump all over that; I already know you could care less about my (or anyone else's humanitarian) opinion. But on a basic human level, it troubles me.

So to summarize for you and I:

You do not care how alive, growing, developing, feeling, etc. human-living-fetuses become; even if they were potential children, grandchildren, relatives of yours - they are always and absolutely expendable, whether on a whim, for the sake of convenience, or simply whatever - until they exit the woman's body - you support their artificial termination.

And I believe that life begins at, well - when life begins.

Is that an accurate summary?

BD1
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:44 am
baddog1 wrote:
Frank:

Quote:
I stand by everything I've said here...and I still maintain that I have not said...nor in any way inferred...by anything said here...that I have no problem with (some areas) of abortion.

Whether or not inferred is ambiguous, and moot at this point. I am satisfied that you indeed have problems with some areas of abortion. I would appreciate it if you would share those "areas" with us that you speak of - not for reasons of debate, but for reasons of potential education.

I have already expressed some very strong comments in this regard. I will leave it at that for now.

Quote:

Quote:
That was a rather large...and completely unwarranted jump there, Baddog.

I have no idea what you mean here Frank.

Not sure why you don't. It is very clear.

Here is the comment you made to which I was responding.

"With that knowledge, "advocating" is my big issue here, and probably because of our non-accountable society. As you know, I believe that all living fetuses constitute "life". Therefore a human-fetus is a human-life."

Essentially that last sentence says that because you "believe" that all living fetuses constitute life...it is life.

Well...your "beliefs" are not the determinant of what is and what is not.

It is a very large and unwarranted jump to suggest so.

Quote:
Quote:

Would that assertion also apply to:
Quote:
The "truth"...is that a fetus is a fetus.

How about:
Quote:
When it is an embryo or a fetus...it is living tissue. No one here is disputing that. BUT IT IS NOT A LIVING HUMAN BEING while it is a fetus or an embryo.

Not at all. The comment "a fetus is a fetus" is a tautology. It is not an opinion. A "living human being" has a definition...and an embryo is not a living human being.

But you are stuck in that mode...and if you want to suppose it is comparable to your assumption that because you "believe" something it is so...do that.

Quote:

Quote:
As you know, I believe the moon is made of green cheese. Therefore the moon is made of green cheese. See my point?

As used in the above referenced quotes of yours and in my statements that you selected; I see a vague yet unrelated analogy. Basically a "stretch" at best.

Not at all...but I see that you are going to insist that it is...so do so.

Quote:

Quote:
Do me a favor, Dog. Do not attribute any "beliefs" to me. I have on several occasions said that "...it is my opinion that...."...

...and I would prefer that you characterize those things as opinions rather than "beliefs."

I had no hidden agenda in using the term "belief" instead of "opinion". I was in hopes that we were past any diversion by semantics. If you look in Merriam-Websters Thesaurus; the first synonym shown for "opinion" is "belief". However as you requested; I will happily do my best to use the word "opinion" instead of "belief".

Good. And thank you.

Quote:

Quote:
Well...anything is possible. But I suggest that it is a very far reach to suppose there are women who are saying "Well...people like Frank Apisa think a woman has a right to end a pregnancy should she choose...so I am going to end mine."

It is my strong belief that hundreds of thousands of women have artificially aborted the human-fetus-living beings that grew inside their bodies, fed from their bodies, grew from this food and would have eventually become persons if not terminated at some stage of their pregnancy. And it is also my strong belief that a large percentage of these life-ending decisions were made by women who felt their decisions to end this life were validated by pro-choice advocates such as yourself.

I am not interested in your "beliefs"...whether they are strongly held or not. They are, at their core...guesses. And I am not sure of just how good a guesser you are.

Quote:
...it is basic human nature to conclude that "if a large group of intelligent, normal people believe it is fine for me to make a decision based solely on my own convenience, and in fact support me in this decision, then by golly, it is OK with me too! In fact, my boyfriend is being a pain, I want to party a few more years before having kids, and besides all of that, I look fat! So this human-fetus-life growing inside of me actually means nothing because it has not exited my birth canal yet, so let's get rid of it."

This is so illogical and contrived...I will not respond further than I already have.

As I mentioned...I support a president's right to commit troops and to set foreign policy...even though I have lots of "problems" with the way our present president is doing so. That does not stop me from supporting his right to do it....and if it appears that he does it because there are many of us who support his right to do so...so be it.

Quote:

Quote:
It is my opinion that a woman has a right to end a pregnancy if she chooses for any reasons she has...whenever she chooses to do so.

I guess the humanitarian part of me is saddened by your position.

No...I suspect it is the religious part of you. And I am not especially concerned that the religious part of you is saddened.

You have no idea, by the way, of how much the humanitarian part of me is saddened by your position.

Quote:

ore you jump all over that; I already know you could care less about my (or anyone else's humanitarian) opinion. But on a basic human level, it troubles me.

I have as many humanitarian concerns as you do, Dog.

Quote:
So to summarize for you and I:

You do not care how alive, growing, developing, feeling, etc. human-living-fetuses become; even if they were potential children, grandchildren, relatives of yours - they are always and absolutely expendable, whether on a whim, for the sake of convenience, or simply whatever - until they exit the woman's body - you support their artificial termination.

Is that an accurate summary?

Not especially.

In fact, I think it is a rather self-serving, smarmy summary.

There is no need to summarize what I say. I write as I speak...and I speak very clearly.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 11:27 am
Note: This is the second reply to the post by Frank Apisa on 9-2-05, 2:44 am. I am unsure why my 1st reply was not posted. BD1

Quote:
"With that knowledge, "advocating" is my big issue here, and probably because of our non-accountable society. As you know, I believe that all living fetuses constitute "life". Therefore a human-fetus is a human-life."

Essentially that last sentence says that because you "believe" that all living fetuses constitute life...it is life. Well...your "beliefs" are not the determinant of what is and what is not.

The fact that I "believe" it to be true coincides with reality, just as one may say: "A fetus is a fetus". The point of the associated statement is not about "belief"; that's just a diversion from the issue. The issues are whether or not a human-fetus is human-life and whether or not a fetus is a fetus. Both cases happen to be true and real as proven by science, no matter who believes it or not.

Quote:
But you are stuck in that mode...and if you want to suppose it is comparable to your assumption that because you "believe" something it is so...do that.

See above.

Quote:
I am not interested in your "beliefs"...whether they are strongly held or not. They are, at their core...guesses. And I am not sure of just how good a guesser you are.

Please stop dodging the point of my statements and offer your opinion on said subject. Those who read this would like to see your answers/opinions to my direct questions and statements, not further diversion.

Quote:
This is so illogical and contrived...I will not respond further than I already have.

Another case of diversion. Or else you're seriously out of touch with mainstream America. I deal with kids of all ages, sizes, races, backgrounds, etc. on a regular basis, and there is nothing illogical or contrived about my example. It is based on real-life!

Quote:
As I mentioned...I support a president's right to commit troops and to set foreign policy...even though I have lots of "problems" with the way our present president is doing so. That does not stop me from supporting his right to do it....and if it appears that he does it because there are many of us who support his right to do so...so be it.

I know you're not attempting to compare the decision making process of the president and his staff to a 17 year old girl who kills a human-fetus-life because of inconvenience or peer pressure! That is absurd.

Quote:
No...I suspect it is the religious part of you. And I am not especially concerned that the religious part of you is saddened.

I was wondering when you would pull the religion-card out and play it. It's one of your MO's and you hadn't done it with me yet. To clearly answer your assertion; NO - this is not "the religious part of me" coming out. If/when I choose to include religion, you won't need to "suspect" what I'm saying, it will be evident!

Quote:
You have no idea, by the way, of how much the humanitarian part of me is saddened by your position.

Saddened by what? And how much? Please explain.

Quote:

I have many Frank!

Quote:
Not especially.

How am I self-serving? I cannot even give birth, much less consider whether or not to have an abortion.

Quote:
There is no need to summarize what I say. I write as I speak...and I speak very clearly.

You certainly don't have to summarize anything, and you do speak clearly. Summaries are commonly utilized in all forms of conversation - from debates to marriage vows to newscasts. It was a reasonable request.

BD1
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:06 pm
baddog1 wrote:
Note: This is the second reply to the post by Frank Apisa on 9-2-05, 2:44 am. I am unsure why my 1st reply was not posted. BD1

Quote:

Essentially that last sentence says that because you "believe" that all living fetuses constitute life...it is life. Well...your "beliefs" are not the determinant of what is and what is not.

The fact that I "believe" it to be true coincides with reality, just as one may say: "A fetus is a fetus". The point of the associated statement is not about "belief"; that's just a diversion from the issue. The issues are whether or not a human-fetus is human-life and whether or not a fetus is a fetus. Both cases happen to be true and real as proven by science, no matter who believes it or not.

Quote:

See above.

Not sure what you are up to here, Dog...but it ain't gonna work.

You wrote: "As you know, I believe that all living fetuses constitute "life". Therefore a human-fetus is a human-life."

That makes no sense. Your are asserting here that because you "believe" all living fetuses constitute life...that in fact, means that all human fetuses are human life.

That is illogical.

If you "believed" you were Napoleon...that would not make you Napoleon.

I have no idea of why you are playing games with this...but I can outlast any game playing you are doing.

Quote:
Quote:

Please stop dodging the point of my statements and offer your opinion on said subject. Those who read this would like to see your answers/opinions to my direct questions and statements, not further diversion.

You wrote: "It is my strong belief that hundreds of thousands of women have artificially aborted the human-fetus-living beings that grew inside their bodies, fed from their bodies, grew from this food and would have eventually become persons if not terminated at some stage of their pregnancy. And it is also my strong belief that a large percentage of these life-ending decisions were made by women who felt their decisions to end this life were validated by pro-choice advocates such as yourself."

To which I made the above comment, "I am not interested in your "beliefs"...whether they are strongly held or not. They are, at their core...guesses."

That is not a dodge. And I did respond to this earlier. Apparently you did not like that response. There is nothing I can do about that. I stand by my earlier response.

Quote:
Quote:

Another case of diversion.

I do not divert nor dodge anything...and anyone who thinks I do really has a problem with reality. I am right here responding to everything you write. So why don't you stop the nonsense about me dodging or diverting. I am not.

I will go over this one more time:

You wrote: "...it is basic human nature to conclude that "if a large group of intelligent, normal people believe it is fine for me to make a decision based solely on my own convenience, and in fact support me in this decision, then by golly, it is OK with me too! In fact, my boyfriend is being a pain, I want to party a few more years before having kids, and besides all of that, I look fat! So this human-fetus-life growing inside of me actually means nothing because it has not exited my birth canal yet, so let's get rid of it."

I responded: "This is so illogical and contrived...I will not respond further than I already have.

As I mentioned...I support a president's right to commit troops and to set foreign policy...even though I have lots of "problems" with the way our present president is doing so. That does not stop me from supporting his right to do it....and if it appears that he does it because there are many of us who support his right to do so...so be it. "

If you do not understand that response...get someone to help you with it. I've re-read it...and it is perfectly clear to me. What part of it do you not understand?

Quote:
Or else you're seriously out of touch with mainstream America. I deal with kids of all ages, sizes, races, backgrounds, etc. on a regular basis, and there is nothing illogical or contrived about my example. It is based on real-life!

I deal with people and have dealt with people of all ages, sizes, races, background on a regular basis also...and the comments above ARE illogical and contrived.

Quote:
Quote:

I know you're not attempting to compare the decision making process of the president and his staff to a 17 year old girl who kills a human-fetus-life because of inconvenience or peer pressure! That is absurd.

If you want to suppose we are talking about 17 year olds having abortions because of inconvenience or peer pressure...do so. I personally think you are being absurd. There is a lot more to the abortion issue than this...and you are trivializing it in an attempt to make a trivial point in an Internet debate. You should be ashamed of yourself...but deal with your stuff as you will.

Quote:
Quote:

I was wondering when you would pull the religion-card out and play it.

Where you!? How very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
It's one of your MO's and you hadn't done it with me yet.

You would be surprised at just how diverse my "MO" is.

Quote:
To clearly answer your assertion; NO - this is not "the religious part of me" coming out. If/when I choose to include religion, you won't need to "suspect" what I'm saying, it will be evident!

Well...I think it is the religion part of you coming out...and I suspect you don't even realize.

Quote:
Quote:

Saddened by what? And how much? Please explain.

Stop with the game playing, Dog. You are not really good at it.

Quote:
Quote:

I have many Frank!

I am sure you do...as have I.

Quote:

Quote:
Not especially.

How am I self-serving? I cannot even give birth, much less consider whether or not to have an abortion.

You wrote:"So to summarize for you and I:

Is that an accurate summary?"

In response to that closing question, I replied: "Not especially.

In fact, I think it is a rather self-serving, smarmy summary. "

To which you are now reponding: "How am I self-serving? I cannot even give birth, much less consider whether or not to have an abortion." ?????????????????

Why are we having this discussion if you cannot reason any better than that, Dog?

What does your not being able to give birth or consider having an abortion have to do with my response?

Quote:
Quote:

You certainly don't have to summarize anything, and you do speak clearly. Summaries are commonly utilized in all forms of conversation - from debates to marriage vows to newscasts. It was a reasonable request.

It was not a reasonable request. It was a self-serving, smarmy attempt at subtle distortion.

Dog...if you have a specific issue you would like to discuss...let us do it...and do it the way we were attacking this debate. Let's get off this other nonsense.

Pick out whatever you see to be the most significant item of disagreement between us...and let's discuss it until we reach an agreement...or until we see that it is impossible to do so. We really shouldn't go on with these long, drawn out trips going nowhere.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:45 pm
Aw, how sweet - Apisa done gone and made yet another friend...
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:43 pm
Quote:

Snood: That's pretty funny! :wink:

Frank:

I enjoyed the discussion while it was on-topic, however I have no further interest in debating about the definition of "belief", "opinion", et al. It's a waste of time and not pertinent to the original topic. There are common courtesies involved in all forms of conversation including debates and you're a bit over the edge for me in that regard. This particular topic is much more serious (to me) than worrying about whether to use belief or opinion in the dialogue. From what I've seen, you very much enjoy voicing your opinion on several topics in this forum and when someone presents an opinion and/or evidence different than yours, the diversions to wordage, religion, etc. pop up. Everyone gets their jollies from something, and this works for you. It doesn't for me.

As to further discussion about this topic (with you) - I see no point. Our opinions differ, for different reasons. You have your personal agenda and I have mine, so we'll just move on.

BD1
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:10 pm
baddog1 wrote:
Quote:

Frank:

I enjoyed the discussion while it was on-topic, however I have no further interest in debating about the definition of "belief", "opinion", et al. It's a waste of time and not pertinent to the original topic. There are common courtesies involved in all forms of conversation including debates and you're a bit over the edge for me in that regard. This particular topic is much more serious (to me) than worrying about whether to use belief or opinion in the dialogue. From what I've seen, you very much enjoy voicing your opinion on several topics in this forum and when someone presents an opinion and/or evidence different than yours, the diversions to wordage, religion, etc. pop up. Everyone gets their jollies from something, and this works for you. It doesn't for me.

As to further discussion about this topic (with you) - I see no point. Our opinions differ, for different reasons. You have your personal agenda and I have mine, so we'll just move on.

BD1

It has been fun.

If you change your mind...stop back.

Otherwise...I'm sure I will see you around in other threads.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:03 pm
baddog1 wrote:
Quote:

Frank:

BD1

The ultimate dodge.......just when it was getting fun.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:26 pm
Tried to telll you, baddog1. You have now discovered it for yourself. :-)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:32 pm
mesquite wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
It is as disingenous to use those ancient texts as evidence of what modern Christians or Jews believe and teach as it is disingenuous to use the old scientific texts as evidence of what science teaches today. Do a tiny minority of believers still believe those old texts are to be taken literally today? Yes they do. And there is still a flat earth society too. But only the dishonest or ignorant will hold out the exception as evidence to condemn the whole.

In another thread here I posted this letter.

Quote:
An Open Letter Concerning Religion and Science

"Within the community of Christian believers there are areas of dispute and disagreement, including the proper way to interpret Holy Scripture. While virtually all Christians take the Bible seriously and hold it to be authoritative in matters of faith and practice, the overwhelming majority do not read the Bible literally, as they would a science textbook.

Many of the beloved stories found in the Bible - the Creation, Adam and Eve, Noah and the ark - convey timeless truths about God, human beings, and the proper relationship between Creator and creation expressed in the only form capable of transmitting these truths from generation to generation. Religious truth is of a different order from scientific truth. Its purpose is not to convey scientific information but to transform hearts.

We the undersigned, Christian clergy from many different traditions, believe that the timeless truths of the Bible and the discoveries of modern science may comfortably coexist. We believe that the theory of evolution is a foundational scientific truth, one that has stood up to rigorous scrutiny and upon which much of human knowledge and achievement rests.

To reject this truth or to treat it as one theory among others is to deliberately embrace scientific ignorance and transmit such ignorance to our children. We believe that among God's good gifts are human minds capable of critical thought and that the failure to fully employ this gift is a rejection of the will of our creator.

To argue that God's loving plan of salvation for humanity precludes the full employment of the God-given faculty of reason is to attempt to limit God, an act of hubris.

We urge school board members to preserve the integrity of the science curriculum by affirming the teaching of the theory of evolution as a core component of human knowledge.

We ask that science remain science and that religion remain religion, two very different, but complementary, forms of truth."

http://www.uwosh.edu/colleges/cols/religion_science_collaboration.htm

I thought it was a good step to help counter the noisy "few" that are trying to force their religious views into our educational system.

It was pointed out to me that the 7000+ signatures that have been obtained so far are few in comparison to the nearly 500,000 clergy in the US.

Would you care to comment on the letter?

Hi Mesquite,

Not quite sure what your point is in posting this letter regarding evolution and public schools in a thread about abortion.

Is it that if evolution 'proves' humans to be nothing more than animals that we should not act any different than an animal?

(Few creatures intentionally abort their young, as far as I know.)

Are you postulating that abortion helps humankind to 'evolve' to a higher level?

Are you including in that the HUGE focus of abortion fans in promoting abortion in third world countries?

Will promoting abortion abroad significantly help humankind to 'evolve'?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:14 am
maporsche wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
Quote:

Frank:

BD1

Yeah, I guess one man's beating his head against a wall is another man's fun. To each their own.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:58 pm
Quote:
Yeah, I guess one man's beating his head against a wall is another man's fun. To each their own.

Snood: Amen.

Quote:

maporsche: Glad to see you pulled your brown nose out of Frank's a$$ long enough to contribute something.

Quote:
It has been fun.

If you change your mind...stop back.

Otherwise...I'm sure I will see you around in other threads.

Yep. See you around.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:43 pm
As long as I am hiding in a womb, am I void of the law?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:24 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
As long as I am hiding in a womb, am I void of the law?

Probably depends on the age of the woman whose womb you are hiding in.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 07:38 am
The possibilites are endless...right now I'm thinking of the atrocities that I could commit...forget going to Mexico, I'll just hide in some lady to get the law off my back.

Seriously though Frank, what is the difference between a developing human inside a womb, and one who is outside. Does it change him/her? The only difference I see, is that one baby is dependent on the conditions of the mother's insides, and the other can make it outside.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:52 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
The possibilites are endless...right now I'm thinking of the atrocities that I could commit...forget going to Mexico, I'll just hide in some lady to get the law off my back.

Seriously though Frank, what is the difference between a developing human inside a womb, and one who is outside.

About the same difference there is between an acorn and an oak tree.

Quote:
Does it change him/her?

See response above.

Quote:
The only difference I see, is that one baby is dependent on the conditions of the mother's insides, and the other can make it outside.

Open your eyes and look again.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 03:10 pm
This is a good read!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050909/hl_nm/babies_show_signs_crying_womb_dc
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 07:50 pm
Re: ABORTION.......
Frank Apisa wrote:
...well, abortion (or a discussion of it) has raised its ugly head in A2K once again.

In another thread...one of the religious fanatics is railing on and on about the savagery of abortion.

The advocates of reversing Roe v. Wade (mostly zealot Christians) keep railing on about how there is a heartbeat and there are brain waves....so there has to be, in their opinions, a "living human being."

Well...it is my opinion that a human embryo or fetus is no more a "living human being" than an egg is a chicken. And the fact that there is movement (rudimentary heart beats or brain waves) does not change that one whit.

But there is one facet...one question...of the debate that seems to get very short shrift from the Christian apologists.

From the Christian perspective...even if there were a living individual there....(something there is not!)...but even if there were a living individual there....what is the cost to that idividual in being aborted?

If the embryo is, as they are wont to insist, a living human being....the same thing happens to it as happens to every human being when it dies.

So what happens to it?

It is totally innocent....absolutely without any sins (except the Original Sin nonsense)...and it seems completely logical, from this Christian perspective, to suppose its soul instantly gets a free pass into Heaven...and it begins its eternity in complete bliss with the god the Christians worship.

So what is the problem?

Where is the foul?

Any of you Christians want to discuss this?

Hmm ... totally innocent, absolutely without any sins (except the Original Sin nonsense).

I would expect that those Christians who believe that original sin is *not* nonsense, would take issue with your attempt to remove one of their reasons for claiming that abortion is bad. IOW, if original sin is not nonsense, then there is at least *one* reason why they wouldn't want people performing abortions.

I
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 07:55 pm
Implicator wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
...well, abortion (or a discussion of it) has raised its ugly head in A2K once again.

In another thread...one of the religious fanatics is railing on and on about the savagery of abortion.

The advocates of reversing Roe v. Wade (mostly zealot Christians) keep railing on about how there is a heartbeat and there are brain waves....so there has to be, in their opinions, a "living human being."

Well...it is my opinion that a human embryo or fetus is no more a "living human being" than an egg is a chicken. And the fact that there is movement (rudimentary heart beats or brain waves) does not change that one whit.

But there is one facet...one question...of the debate that seems to get very short shrift from the Christian apologists.

From the Christian perspective...even if there were a living individual there....(something there is not!)...but even if there were a living individual there....what is the cost to that idividual in being aborted?

If the embryo is, as they are wont to insist, a living human being....the same thing happens to it as happens to every human being when it dies.

So what happens to it?

It is totally innocent....absolutely without any sins (except the Original Sin nonsense)...and it seems completely logical, from this Christian perspective, to suppose its soul instantly gets a free pass into Heaven...and it begins its eternity in complete bliss with the god the Christians worship.

So what is the problem?

Where is the foul?

Hmm ... totally innocent, absolutely without any sins (except the Original Sin nonsense).

I would expect that those Christians who believe that original sin is *not* nonsense, would take issue with your attempt to remove one of their reasons for claiming that abortion is bad. IOW, if original sin is not nonsense, then there is at least *one* reason why they wouldn't want people performing abortions.

I

Ah, yes.

And I am willing to discuss a god that will not have a baby's soul in its presence because of something that the baby's great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandparents did.

Yes...that would be fun.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 07:58 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Implicator wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

So what happens to it?

So what is the problem?

Where is the foul?

I

Ah, yes.

And I am willing to discuss a god that will not have a baby's soul in its presence because of something that the baby's great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandparents did.

Yes...that would be fun.

Willing is good.

Are you stating you have a problem with such a god?

I
0 Replies