real life

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:10 pm
pragmatic wrote:
I'm thinking that this thread seems more and more appropraite for the "which religion is the true religion" thread as well as the abortion issues.

I envy those on both sides of the extreme - the pro life and those who are the liberalists. They say either yes, or no. For people who are in the middle, like me, balancing conflicting measures can be difficult. I'm a roman catholic, but I am also realistic and being a female, I certianly believe that we should have the choice to decide what we want to do with our own bodies. Another consideration is the growing population of the world today - I support China's one child policy which advocates abortion, of course. I think that the church need to wake up to much of today's realities. Even conservative RC's in catholic countries are arguing that the church need to stay out of issues such as homosexuality, etc. I would add to that, contraception and abortion.

The unborn has it's own unique DNA, and develops it's own heartbeat and brainwaves at a very early stage.

Women should control their own bodies. But it's the child's body that is destroyed in an abortion.

You are not realistic at all.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:20 pm
real life wrote:

I put that in a context contrary to what I had intended.

I meant I am realistic (and I didn't intend to combine that what the views I have as a female) as in face the issues of the world today - over population; children who are born into families who can't and won't take care or responsibility for them; social and public issues. It's realities like this that abortion suddenly doesn't seem like a bad thing after all.

In regards to the use of contraceptives - the most harshest reality is STDs, of which the main prevention is the use of certain methods of contraceptives, which I believe the church to be against.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:30 am
real life wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
I'm thinking that this thread seems more and more appropraite for the "which religion is the true religion" thread as well as the abortion issues.

I envy those on both sides of the extreme - the pro life and those who are the liberalists. They say either yes, or no. For people who are in the middle, like me, balancing conflicting measures can be difficult. I'm a roman catholic, but I am also realistic and being a female, I certianly believe that we should have the choice to decide what we want to do with our own bodies. Another consideration is the growing population of the world today - I support China's one child policy which advocates abortion, of course. I think that the church need to wake up to much of today's realities. Even conservative RC's in catholic countries are arguing that the church need to stay out of issues such as homosexuality, etc. I would add to that, contraception and abortion.

The unborn has it's own unique DNA, and develops it's own heartbeat and brainwaves at a very early stage.

Women should control their own bodies. But it's the child's body that is destroyed in an abortion.

She's being very realistic.

You are the one being unrealistic.

But I doubt you will ever see that you are.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:49 am
pragmatic by name, pragmatic by nature...

Nature, red in tooth and claw, does not abhor death as the Christians seem to
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:50 am
If you think abortion is wrong...do not have an abortion...do not advice others to have an abortion.

But if a woman decides she wants to terminate a pregnancy occurring within her body...she should have a right to make that decision...and to have as safe a procedure as is possible available to her.

If you are right that a human being is destroyed during the process...and if you are right about what happens to the soul of that human being....

...the "destroyed human being" gets a free pass into heaven to spend all the rest of eternity in bliss.

Why do you consider that to be such a terrible thing?????
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:54 am
ah but they might say that the murderer loses her right to eternal bliss
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 09:01 am
Clary wrote:
ah but they might say that the murderer loses her right to eternal bliss

That is her problem. If they are right about how things work...she and her god will hash that out.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 12:47 am
pragmatic wrote:
.......... in face the issues of the world today - over population; children who are born into families who can't and won't take care or responsibility for them; social and public issues. It's realities like this that abortion suddenly doesn't seem like a bad thing after all..............

Let's see. Overpopulation? So you think that extermination is a good solution to that?

Or how about neglectful or abusive families? Yeah. The kid, if born, might be treated badly, so let's chop and dismember him. (That's not treating him badly?)

You are not realistic.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 03:13 am
real life wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
.......... in face the issues of the world today - over population; children who are born into families who can't and won't take care or responsibility for them; social and public issues. It's realities like this that abortion suddenly doesn't seem like a bad thing after all..............

Let's see. Overpopulation? So you think that extermination is a good solution to that?

Or how about neglectful or abusive families? Yeah. The kid, if born, might be treated badly, so let's chop and dismember him. (That's not treating him badly?)

You are not realistic.

Yeah...perhaps a more realistic position would be to simply take the god of the Bible at its word...and start stoning to death everyone the god says should be stoned to death. Odd thing, though....although homosexuals, people who worship a god other than the god of the Bible, fornicators, adulterers would be put to death....abortionists would not. They are not mentioned by the god.

Yeah...that would be a much more realistic postion.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 04:31 am
Frank Apisa wrote"
Quote:
They are not mentioned by the god.

It is included the murder category.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:08 am
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote"
Quote:

It is not mentioned by the god! Period.

If it is anywhere near the abhorrant thing you people are making of it...why was it not mentioned by the god specifically....and why did Jesus not mention it specifically...and why did Paul not mention it specifically?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:21 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote"
Quote:

If it is anywhere near the abhorrant thing you people are making of it...why was it not mentioned by the god specifically....and why did Jesus not mention it specifically...and why did Paul not mention it specifically?

Why would it be mentioned by name when it is murder and would be included in that category. Because the word abortion was not mentioned by Jesus or Paul it makes it ok????? Why ask me Frank, you seem to have all the answers.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:30 am
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote"
Quote:

Why would it be mentioned by name when it is murder and would be included in that category.

It would be mentioned by name...because it does NOT necessarily fall into the category for murder. In fact....for certain it is not murder....because it would have to be illegal in order for it to be murder.

Quote:
Because the word abortion was not mentioned by Jesus or Paul it makes it ok?????

I asked why your god never mentioned it. I asked why Jesus never mentioned it. I asked why Paul never mentioned it.

I'll ask again...why didn't they mention it if it is anywhere near the abhorrant thing you folks seem to think it is?

Quote:
Why ask me Frank, you seem to have all the answers.

Because you chose to get involved in this discussion!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:31 am
Intrepid wrote:
Why would it be mentioned by name when it is murder and would be included in that category. Because the word abortion was not mentioned by Jesus or Paul it makes it ok????? Why ask me Frank, you seem to have all the answers.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable query to me. Apparently both Jesus and Paul had lots to say about a myriad of life's contingencies. If they were against abortion, why wasn't it mentioned? Or have later clergy decided to extrapolate the particular of abortion from the generality of murder? Did Jesus or Paul even consider abortion murder, or is this simply a modern interpretation?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:39 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Seems like a perfectly reasonable query to me. Apparently both Jesus and Paul had lots to say about a myriad of life's contingencies. If they were against abortion, why wasn't it mentioned? Or have later clergy decided to extrapolate the particular of abortion from the generality of murder? Did Jesus or Paul even consider abortion murder, or is this simply a modern interpretation?

Did Jesus have to say, " OK, you guys. Thou shalt not strangle, stab, choke, hang, dismember, poison, drown, bludgeon, push off a cliff or run over with a chariot." ????

The continuous semantic attempts to weasel out of the obvious are just pathetic.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:42 am
real life wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Did Jesus have to say, " OK, you guys. Thou shalt not strangle, stab, choke, hang, dismember, poison, drown, bludgeon, push off a cliff or run over with a chariot." ????

The continuous semantic attempts to weasel out of the obvious are just pathetic.

If there is any weaseling being done...it is being done on your side.

Hippocrates...author of the famous Hippocratic Oath...thought abortion was an abomination....and included a prohibition against it in his Oath.

He was from the same area of the planet as Jesus...and the same area that the god of the Bible knew so well...

...and he managed to mention it specifically.

The questions remains...why did't your god, Jesus, and Paul...metion abortion?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:58 am
Frank,
You are on the same planet as we are and even in the same general geographical location. You manage to mention things through the use of foul language, insults, curious ramblings and other things that the majority of those on this site do not use or portray. Why don't the rest of these fine folks use your language and tactics? Suggesting a comparison between Hippocrates, Jesus and Paul is a weak and straw clutching arguement as to why they did not specifically mention abortion. You can read of John leaping in the womb in Matthew but this would mean nothing to you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:25 am
Intrepid wrote:
Frank,
You are on the same planet as we are and even in the same general geographical location. You manage to mention things through the use of foul language, insults, curious ramblings and other things that the majority of those on this site do not use or portray. Why don't the rest of these fine folks use your language and tactics? Suggesting a comparison between Hippocrates, Jesus and Paul is a weak and straw clutching arguement as to why they did not specifically mention abortion. You can read of John leaping in the womb in Matthew but this would mean nothing to you.

Obviously you see that your arguments are absurd...but equally obviously, you cannot find a reasonable way out of the corner into which you have painted yourself.

Forget about the question.

It was rhetorical in any case.

Go in peace!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:29 am
Interesting that I made the same kind of argument that you did but you classify mine as absurd. You are forgetting about the question because you do not have a reasonable answer to it. Most of your questions are rhetorical so we are used to that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:44 am
Intrepid wrote:
Interesting that I made the same kind of argument that you did but you classify mine as absurd. You are forgetting about the question because you do not have a reasonable answer to it. Most of your questions are rhetorical so we are used to that.

Okay....so you won't go in peace.

So I ask the question again:

Since you consider abortion to be such an odious thing....why didn't your god or Jesus or Paul EVER MENTION IT?

The question no longer is rhetorical.

Answer it if you have an answer...or continue to dodge and weave. There is a lot of enjoyment to wbe derived from watching people like you doing that.
0 Replies