Arella Mae

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:42 am
Forget the link everyone, let me save you the trouble.

Frank Apisa Wrote:

Quote:
If I said "2 + 2 = 4, you dumb f**khead...would that make my math any the less valid?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:49 am
MommaAngel- Frank is right in this instance. He was making his point by using "colorful" language, but he was not calling you a f**khead.

MommaAngel wrote:
Why should anyone want to believe or agree to anything you say when you cannot show the slightest of common courtesy?

FrankApisa wrote:
If I said "2 + 2 = 4, you dumb f**khead...would that make my math any the less valid?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:51 am
MA asked me:

Quote:
Why should anyone want to believe or agree to anything you say when you cannot show the slightest of common courtesy?

My reply...which was to show that there should be little or no connection between being courteous...and being correct, was:

Quote:

There should be absolutely no doubt that I was answering what I consider to be an insipid question.

The question I posed here was: Does the vulgarity "you dumb f**khead" in any way effect the validity of the math propostion "2 + 2 = 4?.

In any case, this is all ridiculous...because MA has in fact, said she will never respond to anything I post at least a half dozen times (not the 3 maporsche mentioned)...and she is still responding.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:53 am
Oops, sorry Phoenix...I didn't read your post until after I posted.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:53 am
That's a very selective reading of that passage, Phoenix To me, it seems very obvious that he used that particular kind of illustration because that's how he thinks of Momma Angel- you seem very willing to tolerate any discourtesy from this pompous nincompoop. Why is that?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:54 am
snood wrote:
That's a very selective reading of that passage, Phoenix To me, it seems very obvious that he used that particular kind of illustration because that's how he thinks of Momma Angel- you seem very willing to tolerate any discourtesy from this pompous nincompoop. Why is that?

Nothing selective about it to anyone with a brain, Snood.

Of course, I'm not accusing you of having one...or at least, not of using it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:01 pm
Snood,

Thank you. But, I fully expected those that agree with Frank's views would read that statement the way he now says it was meant.

I do appreciate you saying what you did. It means a lot to me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:07 pm
PLEASE LOWER THE TESTOSTERONE LEVEL. Rolling Eyes

Thank you!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:18 pm
MommaAngel wrote:
Thank you. But, I fully expected those that agree with Frank's views would read that statement the way he now says it was meant.

Not fair.

Snood wrote:
you seem very willing to tolerate any discourtesy from this pompous nincompoop. Why is that?

'Cause I have been hanging around with Frank on both Abuzz and A2K for more years than I want to remember. I know that Frank is a sincere guy, who sometimes gets caught up in, shall we say, rather "vivid" language.

I am a big believer in not throwing out the baby with the bathwater!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm
Phoenix, we are dealing here with christians, the concept of fair or reasonable or logical are not permissible if they contradict faith.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:24 pm
Phoenix,

I am sorry if you think that comment was unfair. But, you obviously do see it the way Frank now says it was meant.

When you are addressing someone and you say "you dumb f**khead", I really don't see how else I could have taken it.

I mean no disrespect to you, Phoenix. I am just stating what I believe to be fact.

And I am a big believer in calling something inappropriate, just that, inappropriate.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:44 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Phoenix,

I am sorry if you think that comment was unfair. But, you obviously do see it the way Frank now says it was meant.

When you are addressing someone and you say "you dumb f**khead", I really don't see how else I could have taken it.

Read the goddam thing, MA.

It was meant exactly the way I say it was meant...as an answer to your question. The use of a vulagarity does not influence the logic or reasoning of a post.

I DID NOT CALL YOU A DUMB F**KHEAD IN THAT POST...NOR DID I INTEND TO BACKDOOR THAT THOUGHT INTO THE POST.

You certainly are not the brightest lamp on the tree, though...I will give you that.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:48 pm
MA, if you and the others who think Frank was responding directly to you, think again. If you stay around long enough, you will see that Frank is an equal opportunity curser and this language is most often used in a non-personal way.

These forums are tough and challenging. If you expect responses from only those who treat you the way you think you should be treated, you will soon find out that it doesn't work that way and your thin skin will constantly be bruised.

Why not try loving Frank as you love yourself? He's really quite adorable...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:08 pm
Diane Wrote:

Quote:
MA, if you and the others who think Frank was responding directly to you, think again. If you stay around long enough, you will see that Frank is an equal opportunity curser and this language is most often used in a non-personal way.

These forums are tough and challenging. If you expect responses from only those who treat you the way you think you should be treated, you will soon find out that it doesn't work that way and your thin skin will constantly be bruised.

Badgers are adorable too, but I know enough to stay away from them.

And this is the exact thing I have been trying to get across to people. Why is it we have to lower the standards of society to accommodate those who refuse to comply? He acts badly and instead of calling him on it, excuses are made for him.

I have encountered many in these forums and it just strikes me as odd that just one of those uses foul language, belittles, etc., and many seem to think that is perfectly acceptable.

If your children, your spouse, etc., were acting this way, would you then make excuses for them?

I am just not buying it that he did not mean it directed at me. He knows how I feel about the language, etc., and yet, he shows no respect. He does what he wants to do regardless of what anyone else thinks. If everyone acted in this manner, I think we'd have one heck of a mess, don't you?

So I guess what you are saying, Diane is, well Frank is Frank, toughen up? So inappropriate behavior is ok with you? He has a right to be "Frank" and I have a right to what? Just put up with it? I don't think so. I am a Christian. I am not an idiot.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:10 pm
Diane Wrote:

Quote:

Badgers are adorable too, but I know enough to stay away from them.

And this is the exact thing I have been trying to get across to people. Why is it we have to lower the standards of society to accommodate those who refuse to comply? He acts badly and instead of calling him on it, excuses are made for him.

I have encountered many in these forums and it just strikes me as odd that just one of those uses foul language, belittles, etc., and many seem to think that is perfectly acceptable.

If your children, your spouse, etc., were acting this way, would you then make excuses for them?

I am just not buying it that he did not mean it directed at me. He knows how I feel about the language, etc., and yet, he shows no respect. He does what he wants to do regardless of what anyone else thinks. If everyone acted in this manner, I think we'd have one heck of a mess, don't you?

So I guess what you are saying, Diane is, well Frank is Frank, toughen up? So inappropriate behavior is ok with you? He has a right to be "Frank" and I have a right to what? Just put up with it? I don't think so. I am a Christian. I am not an idiot.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:11 pm
MA, Frank and I probably have never seen eye to eye on anything. And I seldom get involved in debates with Frank (particularly about my faith) because, quite honestly, I just don't see the point.

That said, I find myself having to side with Frank on this thing. When I read what he posted, I did not see it as calling you a name. I saw it as the example of a point he was making. Although it did make me pause and re-read it before I got his drift.

BUT, Frank, I can also easily see how MA took what you said in a very different manner than what you meant. I don't think it means that she is "not the brightest lamp on the tree." It just means she missed the point because of the wording you used. You know, kinda like not seeing the forest because of the trees?

Anyway, I have now completed my mediating requirement for today and will move on.

God bless you MA.

And God/no god bless you Frank. :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:24 pm
FrankApisa wrote:
It was meant exactly the way I say it was meant...as an answer to your question. The use of a vulagarity does not influence the logic or reasoning of a post.

No, but it DOES influence its perception. When I was going to grad school, I went to a conference given by Albert Ellis, the founder of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. Now anyone who knew Ellis, or has even seen him speak, knows that his speech is peppered with vulgar expressions.

I had been familiar with his school of thought, and agreed with many of his ideas. I was with a classmate, who was not familiar with Ellis, or REBT.
She was shocked and horrified by the way he presented his ideas, and at lunch, flatly stated that she was not interested in learning more about his system.

After lunch, we went to a seminar given by one of Ellis' staff, a much kinder, gentler soul than Ellis, who did not use any profanity. My classmate was impressed, and told me that now she was interested in exploring more about REBT.

I quietly pointed out to her that both speakers were basically talking about the same therapeutic system....................The difference was in their manner of presentation.

Nuff said!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:26 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
And, if you think that thread would be interesting because he called me that, then I probably wouldn't want to answer your posts either.

No need to read into my posts MA, I was merely stating that any thread that would get you so worked up to post in a DIFFERENT thread how upset you are with someone, sounds interesting.

I do think you maybe misread people's intentions. I would try not to do that on an internet message board.

Quote:
if you think it is perfectly ok for him or anyone else to do that, then I feel just as sorry for you as I do for Frank.

I am not Frank's moral compass. My feelings on what Frank posts are inconsequential and will not alter his postings in the slightest, therefore I have no feelings on Frank's posts, it would be a waste of feeling.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:26 pm
CoastalRat,

I do appreciate your post. And quite honestly, I almost feel the same way about I just don't see the point. But, I have encountered those in these forums that really do want answers to their questions and I also have questions I want answered, and it's because of the ones that want to discuss things that I have stayed in. However, I WILL NOT respond to Frank's posts. I would just be condoning his behavior if I kept engaging in the situation and I will not do that.

Perhaps if Frank had not called me names previously, used racial slurs (against someone else even after it was pointed out he did it, he did it again), etc., I might be more open to reading that statement a bit differently. I just don't see that he has given me any reason to take it any other way then what I did.

maporche Wrote:

Quote:
This is pretty damn condescending. F*U*C*K you, boy (I mean it like you have the intellect of a boy).

So, you are[/i] the moral compass for........
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:36 pm
Momma, I agree Frank is difficult on a regular basis, which is why I seldom respond to his posts other than in a light-hearted, joking sort of way. I don't particularly like the language any more than you do.

I do understand how you could take what he wrote the way you have taken it. I only wanted to point out that while the language he regularly uses is not in good taste, in this instance his explanation is believable once you read the whole exchange.
0 Replies