maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:23 pm
How was Frank's comment "racist". I saw nothing referring to anyone's race in that comment.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:27 pm
maporsche wrote:
How was Frank's comment "racist". I saw nothing referring to anyone's race in that comment.

What do you see when somebody calls a person of colour boy? You know full well what he meant. We won't even talk about what he prefaced it with.
Shocked

p.s.
Did it take you this long to come up with that?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:27 pm
Terry Wrote:

Quote:
Our rights are not at stake in Iraq, only our access to cheap oil.

How is aborting unwanted cells murder in your mind, but bombing Iraqi children and sending young American men and women into harm's way is NOT murder?

Well, I guess I have a big misconception here. I really thought we were in Iraq to help those oppressed people. At least, that's what my husband's best friend, Captain Harry Wilson, seems to think that's why he's there. Seems he also thinks that they are looking for the one responsible for 9/11. Guess I am going to have to tell him it is all in the name of finding cheap oil.

But, that is not the point I was making. I don't get into the politics of the war. I run the Care Angels Network and all that is important to us is that our troops are there and they need our support. They fight for God and country and keeping our country free from terrorist attacks. Our troops have made a decision to do what they do.

I don't like the war. I hate that anyone is dying. War is war. The innocent die as well as soldiers on both sides.

And when talking of abortion, you must keep in mind that I do not believe that the child is just a fetus, embryo, zygote, etc. I believe from the moment of conception it is a human being. The soldiers made a choice to do what they do. A child growing in its mother's womb has no choice. The child is at the mercy of the mother.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:32 pm
Terry Wrote:

Quote:
You can believe anything you want, but you have no right to impose your unfounded religious ideas on anyone else, especially when it involves something as personal and life-altering as pregnancy.

I really don't recall imposing anything on anybody. When did this discussion turn into anyone imposing on anyone else?

I have just stated my beliefs as have everyone else.

Maporche,

Just because something happens billions of times does not take away from the fact that it is a miracle. To me, life is a miracle.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:45 pm
Intrepid wrote:
To say that a fetus is not a person until it can survive outside of the womb is still an arbitrary concept. Why not when a heartbeat begins (at about 3 weeks) or when brainwaves can be detected (at about 6 weeks). Also, as I have said before...even when a baby is born, it is many years before the child can survive without the aid of other people. If they have nobody to care for them, why not "abort" them too.

The four chambers of the heart do not start to form until 6 weeks, so to say it "beats" at 3 weeks is a stretch. In any case, your heart can continue to beat long after your brain is dead, so heartbeat is not proof of personhood. While neural electrical potentials are present at 6 weeks, brain wave patterns do not resemble those of a neonate until 26 weeks post-fertilization. Stages of development

Infanticide is not the issue here, although it has been (and may still be) practiced in other cultures.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:46 pm
Terry wrote:
djbt wrote:
You seem to be saying that a 'human being' has rights, or at least trump-suit rights, which living beings that are not human beings do not have. To rephrase my questions:

(1) What qualities must a something possess to be called a 'human being'?
(2) Why do these qualities mean that a 'human being' has 'rights'?
(3) At what stage of pregnancy does a fetus develop these qualities?

(1) A functioning human brain with the capacity for self-awareness.
(2) There are no inherent rights. The only "rights" anyone has are those granted to them by society in which they live. Rights may be granted to enable the society to function better or out of empathy for the feelings and aspirations of our fellow human beings.
(3) The fetal brain takes at least 24 weeks to develop to the point where self-awareness might be possible. At 30 weeks it is a functioning human brain by anyone's defination, but its capacity for self-awareness is still questionable.

Terry,

If "rights" only come from society, then if abortion was illegal would you say that a woman has no "right" to abortion?

In countries that do not allow free speech, do the people have no "right" to speak?

Why did people fight for their Civil Rights when those rights were not recognized by law? Were they wrong to do so? Were they deluded into thinking they had "rights" when in fact they didn't?

Are the only "rights" that you can conceive of "legal rights" granted or taken away by the whim of government?

The Signers of the Declaration of Independence stated
Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Do you disagree?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:46 pm
Why is it that those who oppose abortion are "forcing their believes on others"? Seems rather one sided. I see people stating opinions .... not forcing anything.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:54 pm
Terry wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
To say that a fetus is not a person until it can survive outside of the womb is still an arbitrary concept. Why not when a heartbeat begins (at about 3 weeks) or when brainwaves can be detected (at about 6 weeks). Also, as I have said before...even when a baby is born, it is many years before the child can survive without the aid of other people. If they have nobody to care for them, why not "abort" them too.

The four chambers of the heart do not start to form until 6 weeks, so to say it "beats" at 3 weeks is a stretch. In any case, your heart can continue to beat long after your brain is dead, so heartbeat is not proof of personhood. While neural electrical potentials are present at 6 weeks, brain wave patterns do not resemble those of a neonate until 26 weeks post-fertilization. Stages of development

Infanticide is not the issue here, although it has been (and may still be) practiced in other cultures.

The heart not only beats after the 3rd week, but the blood is observed to circulate.

It is not only "potentials" that are present at six weeks, but brainwaves. That their patterns may change does not negate the fact that they are present. Do brain waves in adults change based on many factors?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:54 pm
Intrepid,

My point exactly. Seems the harder we try to just state our views without criticizing others the more we get accsed of imposing our religion. Go figure!
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:56 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I really don't recall imposing anything on anybody. When did this discussion turn into anyone imposing on anyone else?

That was a generic "you" directed at those who are working to abolish abortion rights in this country and force women to devote 9 months of their lives to gestating accidentally-conceived, unwanted embryos while enduring the discomforts of pregnancy, pain of childbirth (with its attendant risk of major abdominal surgery and injury to internal organs), lost time from work and curtailment of normal activities, and emotional distress (postpartum depression) whether the baby is kept or given up for adoption.

If it were not for the anti-abortion crowd trying to impose its beliefs on everyone else, we would not be having this discussion.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:05 pm
Terry wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

That was a generic "you" directed at those who are working to abolish abortion rights in this country and force women to devote 9 months of their lives to gestating accidentally-conceived, unwanted embryos while enduring the discomforts of pregnancy, pain of childbirth (with its attendant risk of major abdominal surgery and injury to internal organs), lost time from work and curtailment of normal activities, and emotional distress (postpartum depression) whether the baby is kept or given up for adoption.

If it were not for the anti-abortion crowd trying to impose its beliefs on everyone else, we would not be having this discussion.

To put it quite bluntly... They should have thought of that before laying down. Other than cases of rape, or imminent medical distress to the mother, they are pregnant by their own actions. This has been discussed way back in this thread.

You cry for the pregnant woman who made a poor choice. I will cry for the baby that does not have a choice or anybody to make a stand for him/her.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:08 pm
real life wrote:
If "rights" only come from society, then if abortion was illegal would you say that a woman has no "right" to abortion?

In countries that do not allow free speech, do the people have no "right" to speak?

Why did people fight for their Civil Rights when those rights were not recognized by law? Were they wrong to do so? Were they deluded into thinking they had "rights" when in fact they didn't?

Are the only "rights" that you can conceive of "legal rights" granted or taken away by the whim of government?

The Signers of the Declaration of Independence stated
Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Do you disagree?

When abortion was illegal, women had no right to one and could not get one legally. If ou cannot exercise a right, in what sense do you possess it?

Where free speech is illegal, people have no right to speak freely but can do so if they are willing to risk the consequences.

By fighting for civil rights, minorities and women gained them. Had they not succeeded, they would still lack civil rights.

I can conceive of all kinds of rights. That doesn't mean I have them.

I agree that the Declartion of Independence states that men have rights. But the founding fathers did not extend these rights to women, slaves, or the poor. It took 144 years for us to get the right to vote, and even longer to be allowed to use birth control in our pursuit of happiness.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:09 pm
Terry,

God forbid we wouldn't want anyone to go through all that! What about the ones that are just being irresponsible and get pregnant with no thought of the consequences? And to be quite honest with you, I'm danged glad my mother didn't have the lack of maternal instinct you seem to be describing there.

Children are supposed to be a blessing but from what you described it seems more like a curse.

Im with Intrepid on this one. When weighing it out, let's see, you have an innocent child that didn't even ask to be brought into this world against an irresponsible selfish woman that doesn't want to be inconvenienced. Oh yeah, I can see why anyone who want to be pro-abortion. After all, it's just a baby, no big deal.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:12 pm
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:

What do you see when somebody calls a person of colour boy? You know full well what he meant. We won't even talk about what he prefaced it with.
Shocked

p.s.

What's wrong with the word ****? How do we know that he's a person of color?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:14 pm
Terry Wrote:

Quote:
I agree that the Declartion of Independence states that men have rights. But the founding fathers did not extend these rights to women, slaves, or the poor. It took 144 years for us to get the right to vote, and even longer to be allowed to use birth control in our pursuit of happiness.

Am I reading that correctly? ....allowed to use birth control in our pursuit of happiness? I take it you mean having sex with no consequences?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:14 pm
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Shocked

p.s.

Because they've posted here for longer than 6 or 7 months. Why are you so quick to take the defensive stance in a dispute you have no knowledge about?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:15 pm
Intrepid wrote:
To put it quite bluntly... They should have thought of that before laying down. Other than cases of rape, or imminent medical distress to the mother, they are pregnant by their own actions. This has been discussed way back in this thread.

You cry for the pregnant woman who made a poor choice. I will cry for the baby that does not have a choice or anybody to make a stand for him/her.

No birth control method is 100% effective, and there are many reasons why they fail including ignorance. Women do make poor choices, often under the influence of drugs and alcohol. IMO, these women have not demonstrated good motherhood potential, and requiring irresponsible (or unlucky) women to become mothers while allowing responsible women to remain child-free, makes absolutely no sense.

Most abortions are done very early in the pregnancy, when no baby exists for you to cry over.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:15 pm
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Shocked

p.s.

How do you spell that again? If you bothered to actually read the threads instead of just throwing random thoughts into them, you would have read that he told us.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:16 pm
snood wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Shocked

p.s.

Because they've posted here for longer than 6 or 7 months. Why are you so quick to take the defensive stance in a dispute you have no knowledge about?

I'm not taking a defensive stance, the attack didn't seem justified by the comment. I did not know there was a history. Why are you taking an offensive stance? I was merely asking a question.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:18 pm
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Shocked

p.s.

How do you spell that again? If you bothered to actually read the threads instead of just throwing random thoughts into them, you would have read that he told us.

Spell what? I read that Frank posted **** you, boy. That's all I saw.
0 Replies