neologist

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 10:21 pm
I'll tell the prelate, er, primate, er, postulate, er, magistrate, er, distillate, er, see ya lat er
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 10:26 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:00 am
real life wrote:
Frank, you have stated previously that if abortion was illegal you would still think that the mother has a "right" to an abortion.

So my question to Frank or any other pro-abortion devotee who thinks he can answer:

If her "right" does not come from the law, then from where or who does it come?

Every human being is born without any restrictions whatever except for the ones the society into which it is born imposes. Laws and constitutions do not really give freedoms...they take away license...take away unlimited freedom...in the interests of society. They often limit how much freedom can be taken away...which is what our constitution does.

A person has dominion over his/her own body.

So in a sense...her right comes from the fact that government has not deprived her of the right.

I suppose you people who constantly brown nose the idiotic, murderous, barbaric god of the Bible feel rights come from that pathetic cartoon. I am not in agreement with you on that....in case you were wondering.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:45 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Every human being is born without any restrictions whatever except for the ones the society into which it is born imposes. Laws and constitutions do not really give freedoms...they take away license...take away unlimited freedom...in the interests of society. They often limit how much freedom can be taken away...which is what our constitution does.

Well said, Frank.

Another thought. If one looks at any backward society, one of the overriding concerns of that society is the regulation and repression of women, especially in the area of reproductive autonomy. It is the old patriarchial system, where a society literally keeps its women barefoot, pregnant, and subservient to the whims of the male.

Whether a woman is obliged to wear clothing that hides their entire body, so that a man might not be "tempted", the barbarity of clitoridectomy, the practice of "honor killings", women sold into sexual slavery, or the inability of a woman to make a choice over what she can or cannot do with her own body, even the strictures that some religions have over birth control, it is all part of the same phenomenon.

The difference is only a matter of degree.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:59 am
Am I reading this right? So the whole abortion thing is a matter of a woman's power over man? Women's repression? Is this the real reason that women have abortions?
Shocked
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:08 am
Intrepid wrote:
Am I reading this right?

Probably not. You do have trouble in that area.

Quote:
So the whole abortion thing is a matter of a woman's power over man? Women's repression? Is this the real reason that women have abortions?
Shocked

Strawmen will be the death of you, Intrepid!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:32 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Am I reading this right?

Quote:
So the whole abortion thing is a matter of a woman's power over man? Women's repression? Is this the real reason that women have abortions?
Shocked

Your snide little remarks bounce off of me Frankie.

Ok..so you explain to me what she was saying
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:21 am
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Am I reading this right?

Quote:
Shocked

Better yet...let me tell you what Phoenix was NOT saying.

She was NOT saying:

This "whole abortion thing is a matter of a woman's power over man...Women's repression...that is the reason that women have abortions."

That is NOT what she is saying.

And to try to explain to someone who supposes that is what she is saying...would be like trying to explain it to a wall.

So you will just have to make do with what she did not say.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:32 am
Stunning rhetorical exposition, Frank! Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:35 am
neologist wrote:
Stunning rhetorical exposition, Frank! Laughing

He asked!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:12 am
Frank Apisa Wrote:

Quote:
Every human being is born without any restrictions whatever except for the ones the society into which it is born imposes. Laws and constitutions do not really give freedoms...they take away license...take away unlimited freedom...in the interests of society. They often limit how much freedom can be taken away...which is what our constitution does."

Laws and constitution take away license to kill each other, to steal from each other, to discriminate against each other, etc. And, I for one and glad that they do! If they didn't, I wouldn't feel safe to travel to places like, say New Jersey.

Intrepid, I am still ROTFL. I am printing that out, framing it, and putting it right here on my desk. I will refer to it often (I'm sure). I think that will keep me smiling for a long, long time!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:14 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Am I reading this right?

Quote:
Shocked

She was NOT saying:

This "whole abortion thing is a matter of a woman's power over man...Women's repression...that is the reason that women have abortions."

And to try to explain to someone who supposes that is what she is saying...would be like trying to explain it to a wall.

So what you are saying is that you can't explain it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:19 am
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Am I reading this right?

Quote:
Shocked

She was NOT saying:

So what you are saying is that you can't explain it.

No...I'm saying that if you are too stupid to understand her clearly written comments...you will be too stupid to understand any explantion of them.

In any case...I have explained that what you pretended she wrote....WAS NOT WHAT SHE MEANT.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:20 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank Apisa Wrote:

Quote:
Every human being is born without any restrictions whatever except for the ones the society into which it is born imposes. Laws and constitutions do not really give freedoms...they take away license...take away unlimited freedom...in the interests of society. They often limit how much freedom can be taken away...which is what our constitution does."

Laws and constitution take away license to kill each other, to steal from each other, to discriminate against each other, etc. And, I for one and glad that they do! If they didn't, I wouldn't feel safe to travel to places like, say New Jersey.

Intrepid, I am still ROTFL. I am printing that out, framing it, and putting it right here on my desk. I will refer to it often (I'm sure). I think that will keep me smiling for a long, long time!

Instead of rolling on the floor, MA...why don't you try answering the question I asked you instead of ducking it like a coward?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:20 am
Sure Frank. You just go on believing that. My stupidity translates to your inablility to put forth a logical explanation.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:21 am
Intrepid wrote:
Sure Frank. You just go on believing that. My stupidity translates to your inablility to put forth a logical explanation.

I gave you an explanation...but you want to pretend that I didn't.

Go for it.

You are way past being just silly.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:33 am
Frank,

What question? Did I miss one in this thread? If I did, I did not do it intentionally. Can you ask it again, please?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:39 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

What question? Did I miss one in this thread? If I did, I did not do it intentionally. Can you ask it again, please?

Okay...

...I asked one of those hypotheticals you seem to like so much.

Suppose a doctor told your daughter that her pregnancy was an extreme danger to her health...and that she was going to die if she did not get an abortion immediately.

Would you advise your daughter to have the abortion or would you advise your daughter not to have the abortion.

Seems to me this question was asked when I responded to something you wrote mocking me because of my insensitivity to the life of "my child" in one of your hypotheticals. One where you talked about me slaughtering "my child" in its mother's womb two seconds before it is to be born.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:46 am
Apples and oranges. On the one hand you are talking about a choice where one or the other will die. The other is when only the child will die and the mother is in good health. Let me open the door to the barn.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:52 am
>>>>>Every human being is born without any restrictions whatever except for the ones the society into which it is born imposes.

Don't know if that's exactly true, I'd have to say some people are born with consciences.

>>>>>Laws and constitutions do not really give freedoms...they take away license...take away unlimited freedom...in the interests of society. They often limit how much freedom can be taken away...which is what our constitution does."

They limit freedoms. You're free to do whatever you want to do unless your freedom steps on the toes of another person's freedom. Then the law steps in to decide the matter, hopefully in the best interest of society.
0 Replies