Intrepid

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 09:38 am
real life wrote:
Wilso,

Your 'if they are sick, kill them' philosophy is disgusting. I am glad you are in Australia, too.

I am in total agreement, Real Life. We have seen that kind of thinking in the world in the past.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:42 am
Speaking of 'selfish', if so many of one's children are going to have a terrible genetic disease, it would seem to be far more unselfish to just stop having children period rather than keep passing on that defective gene. To just keep aborting your children until you get the one you want seems to me to be perhaps one of the worst products of selishness. Don't you wonder what your other kids think about that method to achieve a 'perfect child'? What appreciation for the sanctity of life would they have? That is how they do it in some other countries, though--if the sex is wrong, kill it and try again, etc. Do people in Australia really believe this is okay?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:23 pm
Wilso wrote:
I worked with a guy who's got nine children. Particularly for the last few, they had every test imaginable done, if there was the slightest problem, they would have terminated immediately. For one simple fact. He told me that with the number of children they already had, it would have been absolutely impossible for them to devote the time required to a special needs child.
I've also seen the effects of Duchennes muscular dystrophy on the short life of the people who are afflicted with it. Anyone who demands that these poor souls are brought into the world, are nothing but selfish, sadistic, worthless scum. I'm so glad I live in Australia where the selfish freaks are ignored.

The pro-choice mindset. Beautiful.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:26 pm
This general indicator of 'one correct morality' that is being illustrated by the christian pro-life set here is really the crux of the problem in my mind.
That they become 'morally horrified' with anything that does not fit into your paradigm (in this case that all human life is 'sacred') leads to serious problems on a large scale.
One manifestation is the attempt to legislate that morality onto everyone. After all, since their way is the one correct way, everyone ought to agree, right? And if they don't, there must be something wrong with them!
It's bullshit, and it's sick. Keep your damn religion out of other peoples business.
Down with pro-lifers everywhere.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:46 pm
Is this really to do with Christianity, other than in your mind? It seems to have as much, or more, to do with morality. Even non-Christians can have a sense of morality.

It seems to me that when you speak of one way is the only correct way....you seem to be talking abour YOUR way.

Of course, super intelligence knows no bounds and can even stoop to profanities in the English language.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 03:00 pm
Yes, I use 'profanity' So ******* what?

What does The pro life movement have to do with christianity?
That is a hot one!
Secular pro-life movements are a vast minority.
The pro-life movement is by and large the pet project of the christian right, and you know it.
I suppose ID has nothing to do with christianity either...

But anyway, you obviously aren't getting it if you interpreted what I said as 'my way is the correct way'
I think everyone should be able to choose their own way, without goombas like you trying to legislate their choices. That is the whole point.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 03:52 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Yes, I use 'profanity' So **** what?

That is a hot one!
The pro-life movement is by and large the pet project of the christian right, and you know it.

But anyway, you obviously aren't getting it if you interpreted what I said as 'my way is the correct way'
I think everyone should be able to choose their own way, without goombas like you trying to legislate their choices. That is the whole point.

Careful....your intellect is showing.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 04:13 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Yes, I use 'profanity' So **** what?

That is a hot one!

Your history is off by quite a bit, DS. At least as it concerns the pro-life movement in the USA.

When Roe v Wade was handed down from the mountain on tablets, the Christian right was nowhere to be seen. The Catholic church was on the ball.

Catholic churches immediately starting educating their people on the pro-life subject, showing pro-life films in church basements etc . I know; I was there to see it happen.

The Christian right was a loooooong time even getting on board. Years.

Even today, many of the stalwarts (individuals and organizations) of the pro-life movement are Roman Catholic, hardly to be confused with the Christian right; unless, like you, one is simply confused.

There are many pro-life folks who are not Christian at all. Muslims by and large cannot be persuaded to adopt a position supporting abortion. There are also pro-life Jews.

There are also non-religious pro-life groups of every description including politically oriented feminists, gay and lesbian pro-life groups, atheists for life groups and lots of others (I posted some links to these earlier in the thread, I doubt that you looked at them. It would have upset your worldview. No point in considering new ideas.)

The only reason that nonreligious pro-life groups are a minority of the pro-life movement overall is because non-religious people are minority in the population overall. Idea

Go ahead and choose your own way in life. But killing a defenseless person is not an acceptable choice.

Just because you, as a self professed 'auto-theist' , consider yourself to be god doesn't mean that you can kill whoever you wish, DS.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 04:29 pm
echi wrote:
Wilso wrote:
I worked with a guy who's got nine children. Particularly for the last few, they had every test imaginable done, if there was the slightest problem, they would have terminated immediately. For one simple fact. He told me that with the number of children they already had, it would have been absolutely impossible for them to devote the time required to a special needs child.
I've also seen the effects of Duchennes muscular dystrophy on the short life of the people who are afflicted with it. Anyone who demands that these poor souls are brought into the world, are nothing but selfish, sadistic, worthless scum. I'm so glad I live in Australia where the selfish freaks are ignored.

The pro-choice mindset. Beautiful.

Yes, echi. It seems perfectly reasonable to them, until they begin to consider the ramifications of their position.

For instance, there are many people who think that homosexuality is genetically determined, or at least a predisposition exists. (I disagree, but that discussion is raging in another thread. Go there if you want to pursue it. )

Let's take that as true for a moment. If homosexuality is genetically based, then should we allow folks to abort based on this criteria? I would not consent to it for a moment, even if I believed the genetic argument to be true.

What about sex selection? How many women who support abortion 'rights' are in favor of terminating a girl just because she's a girl[/u][/i]?

And of course the genetic defect or disability argument. Take multiple sclerosis for instance. How does one know how soon and how severely someone who has the genetic determinant for MS will be stricken with it?

Should we kill all the 'imperfects' of the world, some of whom have a cure around the corner in a few years? How do you know which ones those are?

Who decides how 'disabled' is 'disabled enough' to kill them? If the parent does not want to raise a disabled child, why should the child receive a death sentence?

What will they do when they discover their child is ADHD, or dyslexic ? Is that 'disabled enough' to terminate them?

What if there is a genetic disposition to alcoholism, or drug abuse (as some believe exists, I do not) ? Should we exterminate all of those who may fall prey to an addiction problem in their lifetimes?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 05:30 pm
Your reply to Doktor S wasn't as succinct as mine, Real Life, but it contained much more accuracy and substance. ;-)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 08:41 pm
When was the last time you volunteered to assist bed ridden children and give their parents a break? What selfish arrogant sadists you are.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:49 pm
I remember the Easter Seals people coming over to help out when I was young.

Here is a link. A person can help in more than one way.

http://www.easterseals.com/site/PageServer
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:18 am
Wilso wrote:
When was the last time you volunteered to assist bed ridden children and give their parents a break? What selfish arrogant sadists you are.

Hi Wilso,

Are these the same kind of children that you think should be aborted?

Hopefully your care of them doesn't include discussing the fact that you think things might be better if they were dead.

Can you explain why you seem to believe that killing the disabled is morally superior to caring for them?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:26 am
Intrepid wrote:
Your reply to Doktor S wasn't as succinct as mine, Real Life, but it contained much more accuracy and substance. ;-)

Well, just because DS addresses himself as god, doesn't mean the rest of us must. Laughing

But you'd think that someone claiming to be god would at least get their facts straight. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:27 am
And I'll ask the question again. What do YOU do, to assist these people in their lives?

To be clear, I'm not of the belief that aborting a barely developed foetus is killing a human being.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 08:40 am
What I think most prolifers are attempting to do is to show how an unborn baby is a baby as much as a born baby is a baby. In a pefect world, the adults accept the responsibility and consequences of the choices they make and do not require the innocent to pay with their lives for the choices the adults make.

Yes good people help others who need help. I would be surprised if any of us have never done that on various levels. Especially the prolifers. And we also expect to do what we can to do to care for our own children no matter how difficult or inconvenient that might be.

I hope all of you had great parents who allowed you a great childhood. I didn't, but at least I was allowed life. And I am very grateful for that.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:42 pm
Wilso wrote:
And I'll ask the question again. What do YOU do, to assist these people in their lives?

To be clear, I'm not of the belief that aborting a barely developed foetus is killing a human being.

At what point DOES he/she become a living human being and with what do substantiate that such a change takes place at that point (other than your opinion)?

(BTW I trust since you are putting forward some work you may have done with children as evidence of your moral superiority, that this is not work for which you received renumeration, eh?)
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:47 pm
Way to dodge the question real life.
I think wilso was taking a poke at your apparent hippocracy.

And I would thank you to leave your mal-formed blindered opinion of my autotheism out of your diatribes, as you haven't a clue what you are talking about.
Thanks.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:00 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Way to dodge the question real life.
I think wilso was taking a poke at your apparent hippocracy.

And I would thank you to leave your mal-formed blindered opinion of my autotheism out of your diatribes, as you haven't a clue what you are talking about.
Thanks.

Nothing of the sort is apparent, since he bases his statement on zero knowledge of my life. If on the other hand, he is referring to renumerative work that he has done, I don't see that as qualifying him for sainthood.

As for your auto-theism, it is certainly fair topic in a Spirituality & Religion forum, and nobody pried your position out of you. You seemed at one point to be quite proud of it. Are you retreating from it now?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:08 pm
Quote:

Nothing of the sort is apparent, since he bases his statement on zero knowledge of my life. If on the other hand, he is referring to renumerative work that he has done, I don't see that as qualifying him for sainthood.

So we can assume you are not a hypocrite, and devote your life to charity.
Splendid.
Quote:

As for your auto-theism, it is certainly fair topic in a Spirituality & Religion forum, and nobody pried your position out of you. You seemed at one point to be quite proud of it. Are you retreating from it now?

Absolutely not, I am just sick of having it completely misrepresented by someone that obviously wasn't paying attention when I was explaining it.
I made it quite clear my conception of what 'god' means does not include your particular external 'being' comic book caricature. Yet you keep trying to imply 'I see myself as bible god', which is ridiculous and inflammatory.
Please do not ask me to explain what 'god' means to me in regards to autotheism yet again, because if it didn't sink in the first 3 times it probably won't now.
0 Replies