JPB

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:10 am
real life wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

My church membership is with one of the more liberal congregations that officially supports all the liberal social doctrines but is tolerant of their more conservative members and affords me complete freedom to write and teach my more conservative points of view. I do stick to religious history, comparative religions, and development of Christian thought, however, and don't get into current political or social issues in church.

That's quite interesting, Foxfyre. If I understand you correctly, your pro-life views would probably not be considered the majority view at your church?

And here I had just been taught by some seemingly very wise A2Kers in another thread that all Christians were basically unthinking sheep who follow blindly their leadership; and of course the corrollary, that church leadership are usually overbearing control freaks with no tolerance for independent thought in the laity. Laughing

Maybe I shoulda asked those wise ones how long it had actually been since they were in a church.........

With your reference to sheep I think you might be referring to me, although I don't think I've claimed an abundance of wisdom. I spend an average of 5 hours a week at my church. I attend services, teach Sunday school, chair the religious education council, am a member of the church leadership council and a member of a book group dedicated to leading congregationally led denominations. How 'bout you?

From Fox's description, she and I might very well be attending the same place. Some churches actually encourage free thought and open learning, many do not.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:17 am
Even among Roman Catholics, the largest Christian denomination and among the more conservative, you find mostly free thinkers and by no means complete unanimity of thought. Among most mainstream Protestant denominations you will find a wide diversity of thought on many if not most social issues and the Church does not presume to dictate to the members what they will or will not condone on those issues. The official position of any of these denominations, including the Roman Catholics, does not necessarily reflect the views of the membership.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:22 am
Which is exactly what we were discussing here

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63266&start=80

I debated even responding in this thread because it is off topic but I felt rl was directing a question to me and decided to answer it.

Quote:
The official position of any of these denominations, including the Roman Catholics, does not necessarily reflect the views of the membership.

This is precisely the point of the discussion in the other thread.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:01 am
Well it is appropriate for this thread since so many try to make the prolife position a religious issue driven by right wing fundamentalist extremists. I have seen wonderfully thought out, well defined, and intelligent arguments posted by pro lifers on this thread without using a single religious reference. While I think one's religious faith might influence which side they come down on, I do not see this as necessarily being a religious issue at all.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:23 am
Right, which is why I was trying not to discuss religion in an abortion thread.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:29 am
Foxfyre wrote:
While I think one's religious faith might influence which side they come down on, I do not see this as necessarily being a religious issue at all.

There may be other than religious reasons that a person takes a position, one way or another, on abortion. I certainly can appreciate that stand, and the right of each person to decide whether they believe that abortion is moral.

I get the sense though, that those who don't favor abortion on moral, but not religious grounds, are usually respectful of another person's wishes. I have found that it is the religious who have the agenda to attempt to deprive ALL women the right to an abortion.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:33 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
While I think one's religious faith might influence which side they come down on, I do not see this as necessarily being a religious issue at all.

There may be other than religious reasons that a person takes a position, one way or another, on abortion. I certainly can appreciate that stand, and the right of each person to decide whether they believe that abortion is moral.

I get the sense though, that those who don't favor abortion on moral, but not religious grounds, are usually respectful of another person's wishes. I have found that it is the religious who have the agenda to attempt to deprive ALL women the right to an abortion.

I guess I don't know of any religious, at least those of the Christian or Jewish faiths, who think that way, Phoenix, but I can't say there aren't some out there. There are some who believe that people have a right to be born. I see that as very different from wanting to deny women rights to an abortion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:42 am
Foxfyre wrote:
There are some who believe that people have a right to be born. I see that as very different from wanting to deny women rights to an abortion.

Interesting. How does one determine which is the primary issue? The right of a fetus to be born, or the right for a woman to have autonomy over her own body?

If you believe that the primary value is to see that all fetuses have the opportunity to develop into human beings and be born, that is, by definition, abrogating the woman's right to autonomy over her body.

If a woman's autonomy over her body is the greater value, there will be some fetuses that will never be born. How does one reconcile this?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:21 pm
Phoenix,

Which would I be in your opinion: one of the religious, or one of the moral?

Before I became a Christian, I believed abortion was wrong. I still believe abortion is wrong.

And, in your opinion, if you are religious, can you also be amoral?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:39 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
There are some who believe that people have a right to be born. I see that as very different from wanting to deny women rights to an abortion.

Interesting. How does one determine which is the primary issue? The right of a fetus to be born, or the right for a woman to have autonomy over her own body?

If you believe that the primary value is to see that all fetuses have the opportunity to develop into human beings and be born, that is, by definition, abrogating the woman's right to autonomy over her body.

If a woman's autonomy over her body is the greater value, there will be some fetuses that will never be born. How does one reconcile this?

Phoenix,

You continue to push the misinformation that the unborn's body is the woman's body. It is not.

The unborn has a distinct DNA pattern marking her as an individual. She is not part of the mother, though she is dependent on the mother.

The unborn has her own heartbeat, brainwaves, etc. Read a medical textbook or talk to a neonatalogist. These MDs regard the unborn as a patient, distinct from the mother.

A child is a responsibility, no doubt about it. The mother can give the child up for adoption if she does not wish to raise it, but exterminating the unborn is completely unacceptable.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:43 pm
real life wrote:

Phoenix,

You continue to push the misinformation that the unborn's body is the woman's body. It is not.

You continue to ignore the fact that the unborn's body is, for all intents and purposes, a parasite on the woman's body.

Quote:
The unborn has a distinct DNA pattern marking her as an individual. She is not part of the mother, though she is dependent on the mother.

The unborn has her own heartbeat, brainwaves, etc. Read a medical textbook or talk to a neonatalogist. These MDs regard the unborn as a patient, distinct from the mother.

A child is a responsibility, no doubt about it. The mother can give the child up for adoption if she does not wish to raise it, but exterminating the unborn is completely unacceptable.

RL, you continuously write this same explaination. If it's that simple, copy the above and paste it into an email to your local congressman.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:45 pm
Questioner,

I have a very hard time with relating an unborn child/fetus to that of a parasite. I just do. Parasite to me is something that sucks the life out of the host. I see it with abandoned and neglected cats and kittens at my shelter. But, to relate it to an unborn child/fetus is something I just can't come to terms with. Perhaps you could help me understand your thinking on this?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:48 pm
I can't color how you perceive a parasite. In my mind a parasite is:

An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.

That is all I mean by it. Does that help any?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:52 pm
Questioner wrote:

An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.

Maybe you should look OUTSIDE of your mind for the correct answer on this.

Neonatalogists consider the unborn a patient, not a parasite.

Your characterization smacks of a political motivation, not a correct medical understanding .
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:54 pm
real life wrote:
Questioner wrote:

Maybe you should look OUTSIDE of your mind for the correct answer on this.

Neonatalogists consider the unborn a patient, not a parasite.

Your characterization smacks of a political motivation, not a correct medical understanding .

Yes, yes. You're still trying to convince the wrong person. Call your congressman.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:01 pm
Questioner,

Ok, I am going to have to ponder on that a bit. I can see it in a scientific sense, yes. I have to see how to reconcile the scientific with my views now, if this can be done. I don't know if I can. I have to be honest about that. I appreciate, as always, your honesty in answering my questions.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 02:36 pm
Quote:

With that definition, you could be simply talking about children....they grow, feed, and recieve shelter from their parent/guardian, yet they don't contribute anything in a material sense....unless you're into child labor, but that is another story.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 02:54 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

With that definition, you could be simply talking about children....they grow, feed, and recieve shelter from their parent/guardian, yet they don't contribute anything in a material sense....unless you're into child labor, but that is another story.

A child is neither 'on' nor 'in' the mother, and in regards to infants, only gets fed when the mother feeds it. It doesn't 'take' anything.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:02 pm
Quote:
A child is neither 'on' nor 'in' the mother, and in regards to infants, only gets fed when the mother feeds it. It doesn't 'take' anything.

They recieve everything they need for survival from their parents, while giving nothing back...that sounds like a parasite by your definition. Whether they they physically live on or in all the time is arbitrary. In regards to fetuses, they only get fed when the mother eats for both of them...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:09 pm
A parasite is an independent species that latches onto a host for its own benefit.

There is no way that reproduction of any living organism, let alone a human being, that evolves from the natural processes of life can be equated with a parasite any more than can facial hair or muscles cells or anything else that evolve from the natural processes of life.
0 Replies