Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:51 pm
Jennifer Lopez
http://absolutely.net/lopez/index.jpg

EM's beautiful avatar:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/gallery/female/rbbem5.gif
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:56 pm
Yep! That's J-Lo! I really think she does have a beautiful smile.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:01 pm
And I think it is interesting the public figures people use as avatars--you sort of hold that image of them in your mind. Of course, that raises a huge question about my avatar. Very Happy
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:08 pm
Well, it does kind of do that, Foxfyre. Looks like a cool bush with legs. Does this have anything to do with the burning bush? :-o
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:10 pm
And now I see Intrepid as a superhero!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:11 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

Cool How do you like it? Designed it myself. Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:12 pm
I think it's pretty cool!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:14 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

Quite impressive, but you remind me of one those guys from CHI-cago that you don't want appearing on your front porch.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:15 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:17 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

Quite impressive, but you remind me of one those guys from CHI-cago that you don't want appearing on your front porch.

Not what you would expect from a man of God, huh? However, I am not one of those who shows up on peoples porches. Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:27 pm
LOL, reminds me of the afternoon I was home alone and so bored I invited the Jehovah Witnesses in. They didn't like me much though.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:29 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
LOL, reminds me of the afternoon I was home alone and so bored I invited the Jehovah Witnesses in. They didn't like me much though.

Laughing I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic and didn't name names. Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:32 pm
Hey I have nothing against any religious group except those who actually hurt people and those are rare. But it's no secret that the Witnesses do go door to door, so I figured might as well call them what they are. They've never been anything but polite and pleasant and I'm sure they are sincere. We had a very pleasant visit and they never came back -- their choice. Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:58 pm
Well, truth be told, I have spoken to them as well. Funny why they never come back. Why don't they accept my invitation to come to my church? Another truth is that I do not condlemn any religion except those that use their religion as an excuse to hurt others.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:54 am
Quote:
Funny why they never come back. Why don't they accept my invitation to come to my church?

What church do you go to?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:05 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
Funny why they never come back. Why don't they accept my invitation to come to my church?

Actually depends on where I am and who I am with. In my eclectic working life, I have worked for the Roman Catholics, the Epsicopalians, the Baptists, the Methodists, and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) as well as a year in a Christian Bookstore with a wacky bunch of charismatic fundamentalists who held hands and prayed for the money to come in to pay bills on time (and got it.)

My church membership is with one of the more liberal congregations that officially supports all the liberal social doctrines but is tolerant of their more conservative members and affords me complete freedom to write and teach my more conservative points of view. I do stick to religious history, comparative religions, and development of Christian thought, however, and don't get into current political or social issues in church.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:15 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

Actually depends on where I am and who I am with. In my eclectic working life, I have worked for the Roman Catholics, the Epsicopalians, the Baptists, the Methodists, and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) as well as a year in a Christian Bookstore with a wacky bunch of charismatic fundamentalists who held hands and prayed for the money to come in to pay bills on time (and got it.)

My church membership is with one of the more liberal congregations that officially supports all the liberal social doctrines but is tolerant of their more conservative members and affords me complete freedom to write and teach my more conservative points of view. I do stick to religious history, comparative religions, and development of Christian thought, however, and don't get into current political or social issues in church.

That's quite interesting, Foxfyre. If I understand you correctly, your pro-life views would probably not be considered the majority view at your church?

And here I had just been taught by some seemingly very wise A2Kers in another thread that all Christians were basically unthinking sheep who follow blindly their leadership; and of course the corrollary, that church leadership are usually overbearing control freaks with no tolerance for independent thought in the laity. Laughing

Maybe I shoulda asked those wise ones how long it had actually been since they were in a church.........
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:12 am
Good point, real life. Those that create the labels are those who have no idea what the labels mean.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:27 am
Quote:
That's quite interesting, Foxfyre. If I understand you correctly, your pro-life views would probably not be considered the majority view at your church?

And here I had just been taught by some seemingly very wise A2Kers in another thread that all Christians were basically unthinking sheep who follow blindly their leadership; and of course the corrollary, that church leadership are usually overbearing control freaks with no tolerance for independent thought in the laity. Laughing

Maybe I shoulda asked those wise ones how long it had actually been since they were in a church.........

I rather doubt that such pro-choice views would be preached from the pulpit, don't you?

In several of the churches I have attended in my lifetime, this very subject is typically considered taboo by the elders. If you ask them their opinion they'll all give the same 'We're pro-life' answer, but then you find out a few months later that they either support abortion or at least advocate the right to choose. It's fairly confusing at times.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:05 am
Questioner wrote:
Quote:

I rather doubt that such pro-choice views would be preached from the pulpit, don't you?

In several of the churches I have attended in my lifetime, this very subject is typically considered taboo by the elders. If you ask them their opinion they'll all give the same 'We're pro-life' answer, but then you find out a few months later that they either support abortion or at least advocate the right to choose. It's fairly confusing at times.

Some of the most fundamentalist or ultra conservative (there is a difference) churches might preach a pro life doctrine from the pulpit, and some of the most liberal churches might preach a pro choice doctrine from the pulpit. In those congregations that contain a broad mix of liberal and conservative, representing many millions of Christians, a wise pastor does not preach highly controversial issues from the pulpit.
0 Replies