Eorl

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:09 pm
For your own safety and the safety of others Lash....just like legal abortion.

What's your point?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:11 pm
Because, as Foxfyre so ably puts it, majority rules. I've rarely agreed with the majority.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:37 pm
The argument I always hear is the "It's a woman's right to do what she wants with her own body" one.

Like euthanasia? Like not wear a safety belt? Like walking naked to the Post Office?

It's too twisty.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:00 pm
Eorl wrote:
Because you are the one who wants to change the law to fit your opinion Momma

If abortion was illegal and you wanted to legalize it, would it not be that you wanted to change the law to fit your opinion? What a double standard.

Each of us thinks the law should conform to what we believe is proper. You act as if this is not the case. Do you think people cannot see thru this, Eorl?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:25 pm
Momma asked why it matters what she thinks. It matters because she wants the law changed. It matters what I think for the same reasons. Where is the double standard?

Yes, I think law should attempt to be as fair as possible for as many as possible...which is a very different thing than "the majority"...almost the opposite, in fact.

real life, you probably agree except for the bit where you get to decide what a "child" is.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:35 pm
Eorl wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Eorl,
Do I understand your rational correctly? 14 year old girls may become pregnant. Rather than look at the cause of the pregnancy and work on that, we will just give the errant girl the opportunity to dispose of the resulting life that has been created. After all, nobody has seen this life so why not just get rid of it. Then, the 14 year old girl can go and get pregnant again because there is an out.

Where are your values? Where are your morals? Don't fix the cause, give a way to escape the consequences.

Put the responsiblility where it belongs.

My morals and my values tell me that it is cruel and ignorant to create an environment that requires a 14 year old girl to track down an illegal backyard abortion clinic and withhold proper medical care from her. Your morals and values tell you she deserves death for the crime of her pregnancy...but hey, if a book says a god is on your side, then yours must be better.

Do what you can to prevent unwanted pregnancy by all means (and you better include contraception and the morning after pill) but don't jettison your responsibility to find a realistic solution if it happens anyway.

How dare you question my morals and values ? I value life as much if not more than you, which is why I would save a dog before an 8 week foetus, only my idea of what constitutes a valuable life is not twisted by ridiculous church propaganda.

So many smug christians all soooo comfortable in their certainty of everything.....unquestionable right and wrong, black and white morals....standards written by gods....if only you could see how twisted and sick you look from where I stand.

These are not necessarily church or religious standards. These are human and humane standards that you have trouble understanding. The fact that you put a dogs life over that of a human says a lot. I am not questioning your values and morals....you are laying them out for all to see.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:38 pm
It is not twisted to hate for a human child to be treated in a way that is illegal to treat a dog.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:38 pm
Eorl wrote:
There are 46 million abortions every year, 20 million of those are illegal.

Provide your source! For the 46 million abortions and for the 20 million that are illegal.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:41 pm
Las Wrote:

Quote:
It is not twisted to hate for a human child to be treated in a way that is illegal to treat a dog.

I am not understanding this Lash. I am probably reading it wrong due to my difficult day. Could you explain for me, please?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:44 pm
Not my best sentence structure.

I remain appalled at Partial Birth Abortion, and find it inconceivable that you can perform that on a human, but not a dog.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:46 pm
Lash wrote:

I remain appalled at Partial Birth Abortion, and find it inconceivable that you can perform that on a human, but not a dog.

Lash,

That's what I thought you meant but wanted to make sure before I commented.

I agree with you 100%! How could anyone do that? It is so far from my comprehension.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:52 pm
Lash wrote:

Just shows the low value that is put on human life, by some. Ronal Reagan once said, "Funny that those who support abortion have all been born."
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:07 am
Intrepid wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Eorl,
Do I understand your rational correctly? 14 year old girls may become pregnant. Rather than look at the cause of the pregnancy and work on that, we will just give the errant girl the opportunity to dispose of the resulting life that has been created. After all, nobody has seen this life so why not just get rid of it. Then, the 14 year old girl can go and get pregnant again because there is an out.

Where are your values? Where are your morals? Don't fix the cause, give a way to escape the consequences.

Put the responsiblility where it belongs.

My morals and my values tell me that it is cruel and ignorant to create an environment that requires a 14 year old girl to track down an illegal backyard abortion clinic and withhold proper medical care from her. Your morals and values tell you she deserves death for the crime of her pregnancy...but hey, if a book says a god is on your side, then yours must be better.

Do what you can to prevent unwanted pregnancy by all means (and you better include contraception and the morning after pill) but don't jettison your responsibility to find a realistic solution if it happens anyway.

How dare you question my morals and values ? I value life as much if not more than you, which is why I would save a dog before an 8 week foetus, only my idea of what constitutes a valuable life is not twisted by ridiculous church propaganda.

So many smug christians all soooo comfortable in their certainty of everything.....unquestionable right and wrong, black and white morals....standards written by gods....if only you could see how twisted and sick you look from where I stand.

These are not necessarily church or religious standards. These are human and humane standards that you have trouble understanding. The fact that you put a dogs life over that of a human says a lot. I am not questioning your values and morals....you are laying them out for all to see.

So when you say "Where are your values, where are your morals?" that is somehow not questioning my morals and values.......riiiiight. Rolling Eyes

Human and humane standards were cast aside to allow abortion in the US in 1937...why? Maybe I'm not the only one that thinks YOURS are the inhumane standards rather than mine?

This is what bugs me, you guys are claiming to BE the authority on what is right. Where do you get that?

Yes, I agree....being ready to save a living dog ahead of an 8 week old foetus that the mother does not intend to keep... does say a lot about me....and I'll stand by it.

I'm also going to say I'd swap a thousand 8 week old foetuses for just one 14 year old girl. What a monster I must be.

...meanwhile there's the pope creating thousands of abortions by refusing to support contraception..... Shocked
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:11 am
Intrepid wrote:
Eorl wrote:
There are 46 million abortions every year, 20 million of those are illegal.

Provide your source! For the 46 million abortions and for the 20 million that are illegal.

I posted the website already (see the post after the one you quoted). I also pointed out there are plenty of figures to support each side of the debate...but this one seems quite neutral...I don't care, I was only answering because Momma asked. Certainly doesn't help my cause at all.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:14 am
Lash wrote:

Again with the "human child" definition already decided there Lash ?

How can anyone argue with such an obvious statement?

Thing is, we are talking about an 8 week old foetus, not a human child.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:16 am
Intrepid wrote:
Lash wrote:

Just shows the low value that is put on human life, by some. Ronal Reagan once said, "Funny that those who support abortion have all been born."

and again with the "human life" black and white definition.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:35 am
real life wrote:
flushd wrote:
I agree with Phoenix.

Raising the child is not always a realistic option. Adoption is not always a realistic option.
Given that there are always unwanted pregnancies; ALL the options should be available. This allows a woman/girl to make the best possible choice for her circumstances.

Some folks find it morally repugnant to give a child away for adoption. Can you imagine if it were illegal to do so? wow. That would be screwy.
And hey; before anyone goes and points out that abortion and adoption are two different things: don't bother. I already know.

Anyone who could find it "morally repugnant" to give a child up for adoption and would prefer that it be exterminated does not know the meaning of "moral". They are thinking only of themselves and trying to publicly save face by hiding the existence of the pregnancy, in the process the unborn loses her life to save the mother any inconvenience.

That simply isn't true.
There are many reasons someone would find adoption morally repugnant.
Not everyone holds the same morality as you: that does not mean that it isn't a valid system of morality. You seem to think you know what is right for everyone. That is just laughable.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:36 am
Eorl Wrote:

Quote:
...meanwhile there's the pope creating thousands of abortions by refusing to support contraception.....

Surely you are not serious about this comment? The pope is creating thousands of abortions? Eorl, you seem to place no responsibility on the women having these abortions.

Eorl Wrote:

Quote:
Yes, I agree....being ready to save a living dog ahead of an 8 week old foetus that the mother does not intend to keep... does say a lot about me....and I'll stand by it.

I'm also going to say I'd swap a thousand 8 week old foetuses for just one 14 year old girl. What a monster I must be.

Surely you can understand that if I believe it is a child, how this would sound?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:52 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Eorl Wrote:

Quote:
...meanwhile there's the pope creating thousands of abortions by refusing to support contraception.....

Surely you are not serious about this comment? The pope is creating thousands of abortions? Eorl, you seem to place no responsibility on the women having these abortions.

Eorl Wrote:

Quote:

Surely you can understand that if I believe it is a child, how this would sound?

Too right I'm serious! I haven't even mentioned how many people the pope has killed with AIDS in Africa through his stance on contraception! I know people could abstain....but the fact is - the churches stance ultimately leads to thousands of preventable deaths.

To be fair then, the pope does not cause any deaths...he just refuses to use his power to prevent them (and that includes plenty of foetuses.)

Yes I understand that YOU believe a foetus of any age is a child....what I don't accept is your refusal to understand that many other people do not share that belief, and that they may be right. See, you have your faith that makes you certain you are right. How can you see that you may be wrong? You can't. Bloody dangerous, that.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:13 am
Eorl wrote:
Lash wrote:

Again with the "human child" definition already decided there Lash ?

How can anyone argue with such an obvious statement?

Thing is, we are talking about an 8 week old foetus, not a human child.

Hi Eorl,

Let's talk medical facts for a moment instead of your opinion.

At 8 weeks, the unborn has a heartbeat, her DNA is distinct from her mother's marking her as an individual and not as part of the mother's body, and brainwaves (which have been measured as early as 6 weeks) can be in evidence as well.

Which one of these things would indicate to you that the unborn is NOT a living human being, Eorl?
0 Replies