Vaccination issue: Would I be wrong?

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 03:24 pm
I'll cut to the chase. Both my wife and I are vaccinated and my daughter is vaccinated. My wife's sons though are not vaccinated. Not sure why but they are among the group of younger person who feels that the government should not make people get vaccinated to stop the spread of covid. With the recent death of Colin Powell, who was fully vaccinated, I think I'm going to require one of two things for my step-sons before they are allowed back in this house. Both my wife and I have elderly parents and all 4 of them are vaccinated. Everyone on my side of the family is vaccinated so when we go visit my parents we do not wear masks. Same with her parents. I think I'm either going to tell my step-sons that either they get vaccinated before they come in our house or they will be required to wear masks the entire time. They tend to like to just visit during the day and my wife doesn't have a problem with them not being vaccinated nor just coming by willy nilly. We have a stack of masks on our living room entertainment center along with hand sanitizer. When anyone comes to do any work at our house we stop them at the door and make sure they have on a mask before they come in. I see no problem telling my step-sons either they get vaccinated, wear a mask the entire time, or don't come by. You can come visit but you will remain outside. Would I be wrong and how would the wife take it if I tell her sons this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 3,057 • Replies: 163

Mame

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 03:32 pm
@Barry2021,
Well, I think you should discuss with your wife before you make any pronouncements. 1) They are her sons so maybe she should be the one to tell them, 2) You should be on the same page - apparently she doesn't have an issue with this and that could cause a problem right there (as I'm sure you are aware!), and 3) A head's up before they show up would be appropriate so they are not caught flat-footed and come prepared. I don't think you want to be heavy-handed about this, and this is also rather late in the day, so... go carefully.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
Barry2021

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 03:44 pm
@VABGirl,
I tend to do the opposite of you. If I go to a restaurant, either sit down or fast food, if the server or person fixing my food is not wearing a mask I will say something to the manager.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 03:51 pm
@VABGirl,
VABGirl wrote:

Oh, and when i go to a restaurant and see some servers wearing a mask, i politely ask to be waited on by someone not wearing a filthy germ incubator. And to again say it, there is no corona vaccination.

Not here you wouldn't! they would politely ask your Karen ass to leave Smile
Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 03:52 pm
@Barry2021,
I cannot answer for your wife - you would need to confer with her.

But I do not find your request out of line.

I think Mame's suggestion would work best - it is best to come from your wife and to given a head of time to avoid any misunderstanding.

I let people know that come to my home for say family gatherings that we are not wearing masks (we are vaccinated) and they are free to wear one if it makes them comfortable - basically no judgement zone.

Works for us.
Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 03:59 pm
@VABGirl,
VABGirl wrote:

Gross overreaction on your part. You mention Colin Powell. The shot, its not a vaccination, did him no good. At best, the corona shot might help a bit, but for you or anyone to react like you are doing is ridiculous. I dont care if anyone has gotten a corona shot or not. As every day passes the evidence grows that forcing a chemical into everyones body is idiotic. And again, its a shot, not a vaccination. Move on with your life, treat your family like people, and stop watching the fear mongering cable news.

I would agree with in one sense - Colin Powell had other medical issues likely caused covid to be deadly for him.

I think the comparison Barry is making is they have elderly family members which would be a correct comparison so I do not find this ridiculous - he also he not saying you cannot come to visit just respectfully asking them to wear a mask.

I wonder do you ask people who smoke to step outside to smoke? I would compare that to a similar situation. Second hand smoke can be dangerous to others so you request a smoker to smoke outside. Covid can be dangerous so you request those not vaccinated wear a mask. A reasonable request especially with elderly people more susceptible to getting ill.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 04:04 pm
And there's always a nice way of doing things. A vaccinated friend of mine called up a mutual unvaccinated friend and announced she didn't feel comfortable being inside with her anymore so she would no longer attend indoor events with her. They both called me later - the one was a little outraged and the other wanted validation. I felt the call was unnecessary (although I didn't say so) and that she could have just said she felt uncomfortable if and when the situation arose. She didn't need to make a pronouncement, IMO.

Since vaccines have been around for some time, this conversation should have been held with your wife at the beginning or when the sons said they wouldn't get vaccinated. That is when you should have made your statement (or conferred with your wife). It's a bit late in the day, as I said earlier, to start making these pronouncements since they've likely already been to your house several times. Barn + horse.

And as to why you're making an issue of it now... I think you just want to cause some excitement. Bad idea. Bad, bad, bad. I think you're a bit of a trouble-maker, Barry, aren't you? Throwing a wrench into things for no good reason.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 04:21 pm
@Barry2021,
It is not clear what your goal is. Are you trying to reduce the risk to yourself? Or, are you trying to force your step-sons to try to do something they don't want to do.

I suspect that the risk to you and your wife is very low, since you are both vaccinated. It depends on the current numbers from where you live, but even in the current worst spot, vaccines are proving to very effective at protecting the person who has been vaccinated.

If you are trying to force your step-sons to do something they don't want to do... you probably won't have much luck. This never works and you run the risk of damaging what I assume is an important family relationship, at least for your wife.

I would let it go.
Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 04:30 pm
@Mame,
Ha ha - you might have hit the head on the nail ---

But just assume the intentions are in the right place - and max he did mention elderly relatives as the reason for this concern.

I think (if his wife would do this ) she could simply put the blame on you. She could say - hey family you know how crazy and twisted and unreasonable my husband can be - could you just appease him and wear a mask when you come over. You know how he can be. It would make my life immensely easier.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 05:22 pm
@Barry2021,
Quote:
Everyone on my side of the family is vaccinated so when we go visit my parents we do not wear masks.

If you want to get through to someone, just show them the proof that these experimental injections prevent infection and transmission; then they'll be more likely to see the sense in it.

Have you done that?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 05:29 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

VABGirl wrote:

Oh, and when i go to a restaurant and see some servers wearing a mask, i politely ask to be waited on by someone not wearing a filthy germ incubator. And to again say it, there is no corona vaccination.

Not here you wouldn't! they would politely ask your Karen ass to leave Smile

Epic👍🏾
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2021 09:11 pm
@Barry2021,
Quote:
My wife's sons though are not vaccinated.

It's quite possible that they have natural immunity. Has anyone bothered to asked them?
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2021 04:28 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
My wife's sons though are not vaccinated.

It's quite possible that they have natural immunity. Has anyone bothered to asked them?

Meaning what, that they already had the coronavirus?
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2021 04:29 am
If you and your wife have already been vaccinated, then the sons should pose relatively little threat to you. That's why you got vaccinated.
Barry2021

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2021 05:40 am
@Linkat,
"I let people know that come to my home for say family gatherings that we are not wearing masks (we are vaccinated) and they are free to wear one if it makes them comfortable - basically no judgement zone."

How do you handle those who are not vaccinated and choose not to wear a mask?
Barry2021

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2021 05:49 am
@maxdancona,
The risk to us may be very low given we are both vaccinated but the risk to our elderly parents may be higher if we carry the virus to them. Again, they all are vaccinated but with other health risks they may be facing I would rather not take that chance. If my step-sons choose not to get the vaccine that's solely on them but I do still control what goes on in my house. Again, we have strangers, workers, who come to our house and we stop them at the door. Even those who say they are fully vaccinated I do not trust that. We still make them wear masks. My step-sons are not above them in any way. And being late in saying this doesn't mean it still can't happen. Since you choose not to get the shot you can still come and visit, we'd just ask that you wear a mask while in our house.

And when I mentioned it to my wife last night she got very quiet for a while. I guess her boys are special. WE, I along with my family, hounded my daughter to get the shot simply because she now has a newborn and I'm sure she wants to see that little girl grow up. None of us laid off her until she was fully vaccinated. I do not see why her son's are more special than anyone else coming into our house.
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2021 06:19 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

If you and your wife have already been vaccinated, then the sons should pose relatively little threat to you. That's why you got vaccinated.

I believe he was speaking about his older relatives. It is natural to have concern for them as they are most vulnerable. And as we know the shot is not 100%.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2021 06:21 am
@Barry2021,
I leave it up to them. But we only have one or two people who are not - and those relatives the older ones also know. So it is pretty open - if the older relatives feel unsafe then they know Joe and Sam are not vaccinated so they give space or wear a mask around them or whatever - basically open communication to all.

Like I said it works for us. And I don't judge what someone else feels safe with - and I believe each should have parameters for their home as they feel is right - as long as anyone impacted knows.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Vaccination issue: Would I be wrong?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 10:08:34