Bachelorhood in History

gollum

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2021 06:47 am
Have any societies past or present prohibited bachelorhood beyond a certain age?

View best answer, chosen by gollum
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2021 12:56 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Have any societies past or present prohibited bachelorhood beyond a certain age?

I don't know of any. Many societies have the idea of a chaste priesthood; an honored class that is forbidden from having any relationship with women.
Walter Hinteler
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2021 01:34 pm
@gollum,
There is (was) in German even a different word for older bachelors: bachelors (Jungesellen) above 50 were called Hagestolz. (Hagestolz - rarely also in the feminine form Hagestolzin or Hagestolze - has a meaning that goes back deep into the ancient Germanic understanding of law; an equivalent can be found, for example, in the Old Norse term hagustalda.)

On the other hand, throughout history, punitive taxes on celibacy have been introduced in the context of moral panic over the essential status of marriage in various times and regions.
The wikipedia report bachelor tax gives an overview.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2021 04:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Since max said in his "Selected Answer" that he didn't knew such a society, I would like to refer explicitly to ancient Rome and the so-called Augustan marriage laws, namely the Lex Iulia de maritandis ordinibus and especially the Lex Papia Poppaea (the latter known to anyone who has some knowledge of legal history).
engineer

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2021 05:39 am
@gollum,
The Spartans encouraged men to marry at age 30 and ridiculed/shunned those who did not as not contributing to society.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2021 05:43 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Many societies have the idea of a chaste priesthood; an honored class that is forbidden from having any relationship with women.
That is called "celibate".
Bachelors can have sex, but being unmarried may not always be a matter of choice.

This applies, of course, for bachelorettes as well.
gollum

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2021 03:51 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler-

One of the reasons that I started this thread, is that I viewed an episode of I, Claudius (Masterpiece Theater) in which Augustus Caeser summons a group of young unmarried men before him and tells them that they are in violation of the marriage laws for failure to marry. He goes on to say that he won't be fooled by a young man getting engaged to (I think) a 9-year old girl.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 10:25 am
@gollum,
I Claudius is a BBC production.

Masterpiece Theatre bought it from them.
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2021 10:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
from having any sexual relationship with women, being the operative sentence.

1 Timothy 3: 2-7; A church leader must be without fault; he must have only one wife, be sober, self-controlled, and orderly; he must welcome strangers in his home; he must be able to teach; he must not be a drunkard or a violent man, but gentle and peaceful; he must not love money; he must be able to manage his own family well and make his children obey him with all respect. For if a man does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of the church of God? He must be mature in the faith, so that he will not swell up with pride and be condemned, as the Devil was. He should be a man who is respected by the people outside the church, so that he will not be disgraced and fall into the Devil's trap.

The Roman church of Emperor Constantine demands that their church leaders be celibate, having no desire to have any sexual relationship with women.

Well, we know the dangers, when you put a group of young sexually active men together in dark conclaves, 'who have no desire to have any sexual relationship with women'.

How can they, who have never been married, be marriage councillors? How can they who have never had children, give good advice to rebellious teenagers?

How can those who love wearing their long robes and kissing the Popes ring, be of any real value to society?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2021 10:58 am
@The Anointed,
The Annointed has a surprisingly feeble understanding of the Bible.

In 1 Corinthians 7 The Apostle Paul talks about celibacy. In Matthew 19 Jesus talks about celibacy.
0 Replies