What should I do with a bunch of toner cartridges I can't use?

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2021 06:24 pm
Hello. I need some advice.

A while back I ordered an HP color laser 4-in-one printer off of eBay but the day the printer was delivered a postman from my local post office dropped and damaged it on my front porch. Fortunately I was reimbursed for all the money I spent on my total package by Ebay Customer Service - this included the cost of the printer and the cost of the toner cartridges that were thrown in as a bonus.

I still can't use the printer. I was told it would cost more to fix the printer than to buy a new one. What should I do with the toner cartridges?

Should I go to my nearest Ebay store and put them up for sale and/or auction on Ebay online?

Should I buy a new printer that's compatible with the toner cartridges I have?

Or should I do something else with them?

I was thinking about donating them but if do that I'm wondering if I would I get money for them.

One of my neighbors gave me a little HP printer that wasn't being used. It isn't a 4-in-1; It prints but doesn't copy, scan or fax. I don't know if the toner cartridges I have are compatible with it and I was told by HP Customer Service I would have to pay over $100 to install drivers for each function the printer doesn't have; over $100 for each driver IF I'mnot mistaken. I don't want to do that.

I really don't want the toner cartridges to be honest.

I was thinking about buying an Epson Supertank printer that comes with ink included. The advantage of buying a Supertank printer is that the ink lasts a long time.

I'm still in the market for a new printer.

So far, as of the time of the posting of this, I only received one suggestion about what to do with the toner cartridges; someone I know from a certain chatsite I frequent suggested I sell them on Facebook Marketplace. I asked her why did she prefer that over eBay and she said because Facebook Marketplace is faster and local. She also said it's somewhat similar to Craigslist - you post an ad on it and the method of delivery or pickup.

The toner cartridges were never used and they are still in their original, unopened packaging.

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 10,449 • Replies: 34
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2021 07:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
My first thought is if you originally like the HP printer and bought one, just buy another one. If you've decided to go in a different direction, you can always try and resell the cartridges or if they're not that valuable just throw them away. How much money are we talkin about here?
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2021 09:01 pm
@engineer,
Hi. Thank you for answering.

People on another community site are suggesting I throw them away.

The four boxes of toner cartridges cost $140 in total, meaning each toner cartridge cost $35. I was reimbursed for the cost on the cartridges but that seems kind of wasteful to throw them out knowing they cost that much.

I was thinking about selling them and making a profit.

How much are most people willing to spend on an individual toner cartridge?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2021 10:10 pm
@engineer,
Are toner cartridges recyclable?
seac

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2021 10:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
Some toner cartridges are recyclable. I used to buy recharged/refilled toner cartridges before for my printers. The ebay dealer would send a prepaid postal package to send in the used ones along with the ones I ordered. Now I refill the cartridges myself, the toner powder can be purchased cheaply on ebay.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2021 01:54 am
@seac,
Hello Sean. Thank you for responding.

How much are most people willing to spend on an individual toner cartridge?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2021 06:51 am
@JGoldman10,
Here is my thought -

You claim you are a Christian...so you should donate them with no expectation of any return on money.

Why - because you did not lose anything financially. You were made whole by the seller so why should you benefit financially from a lose by another individual? That does not seem very Christian to me.

You could help someone else that may be in need of these toner cartridges that can not afford it...wouldn't that feel so much better than to try to gain financially from something that did not hurt you?

If I were in your place that is what I would do - donate them.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2021 01:55 pm
@Linkat,
Hi. Donate them where?
Mame

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2021 02:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
Put them on kijiji or craig's list for free. Advertise!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2021 02:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi. Donate them where?

Ask your church or ask them if they someone needs them - also local schools, or any other charity - I don't know what is in your area. You could also call a local computer store and ask them if they know places that might be able to use these.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2021 02:57 pm
@Linkat,
Goodwill

https://www.goodwillsc.org/donate/computers

Good Tech
Desktop Computers
Laptop, Notebook and Netbook Computers
Monitors
Printers
Scanners
Hard Drives – Internal or External
Keyboards
Mice (not the live ones, please)
Speakers
Cords and Cables
Ink and Toner Cartridges

See how easy it is to find all I did was choose google and then type in donate toner and voila you get an answer
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 12:24 am
@Linkat,
My church is out of state.

Is Goodwill better than The Salvation Army?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 12:25 am
@Linkat,
I still think I would rather SELL them.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 01:16 am
@JGoldman10,
You would because you’re an incredibly selfish person.

Have you ever done anything for anyone else?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 02:23 am
I'll ask my pastor, my cousin, neighbors and penpals what should do with the toner cartridges and ask them if they want them.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 02:45 am
@JGoldman10,
What about someone who isn’t connected to your church?

The Good Samaritan didn’t just concern himself with other Samaritans after all.

You seem to think being a Christian is just signing up to a set of beliefs then insulting those who do not share the beliefs.

What about the young rich man who approached Jesus asking what to do? He followed the commandments and did what his religion dictated but it wasn’t enough. Jesus told him to get rid of his worldly possessions and he refused prompting the camel and eye of a needle comment.

You didn’t even pay for those cartridges, and you’re seeking to profit from someone else’s misfortune.

How Christian is that?
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 05:29 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I still think I would rather SELL them.

That's very Christian of you - getting financial gain from someone else's loss.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 05:39 am
@izzythepush,
How am I being "selfish" when people need money for things like food, clothing, rent, utilities and other personal expenses?

My cousin, neighbors and two penpals are not tied to my church.

I will ask the people I listed if they want the toner and ask what I should do with them like I said.

I would still like to SELL them.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 05:44 am
@izzythepush,
Yes I DID pay for the cartridges. The eBay vendor didn't include them with the printer for free. $140, which was the cost of the cartridges, was included in the total cost of of package deal.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 06:05 am
@izzythepush,
If I want to SELL the daggone cartridges why is that your business? I can use the earnings from them to pay part of my rent, and/or to give part of it as a church offering.