This is Biden's America

bobsal u1553115

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 09:27 am
@edgarblythe,
No offense, edgar, that personal argument may have started with "you people". Specifically personal.

This is still an interesting and civil thread. No outrageous stuff, yet.
Mame

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 09:32 am
@izzythepush,
I agree, but with how the US system works, it seems anything he proposes can get shot down. No one should make promises they can't keep. He should have said, "I would like to..." instead of "I will...".
edgarblythe

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:28 am
@Mame,
He can do things that don't require Congress, such as student loans and other items I have mentioned repeatedly. What I am complaining about is the failure even to try. He campaigned on raising minimum wage. How do you think the hopeful millions feel that there wasn't even a token effort? If he failed they might understand. No effort at all? Not quite keeping a promise. Millions expected $2000 checks. They got $1600. Think they will forget that on election day? He campaigned on police reform but instead was okay with increasing police budgets instead. The police make up a bigger army than most nations have. Black Americans in particular should be aware of that on election day. He could get Peltier out of prison. Think progressives and Native Americans are unaware? I could write on in this vein, but I doubt Biden's defenders will hold his feet to the fire in time to help him get reelected. The Democrats are the only organization big enough to bring Democracy to this country and that is why I am disgusted with their efforts.
Mame wrote:

Didn't the Republicans shoot down some of his proposals in that bill? It's not just up to him. Most of these problems are complicated, and wiping out student debt isn't going to fix things for future students.

They should form a bi-partisan committee to deal with the major issues in the US, such as student debt, rent control, etc. Your tuition fees and hospital costs are just stupidly out of control. Deal with issues that affect the most people.

You're blaming this guy for everything, edgar... he's not a dictator.
edgarblythe

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Bob wills posts?
Mame

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Not everything is made public. You don't know what's going on out of the media eye. His team could be quietly working the room, so to speak, to gain support on a few items. And as you know, you are in a very polarized time down there. Two of his own team are not even with him on some things. You're just so quick to blame. He's only been in a year. Rome wasn't built in a day.
neptuneblue

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
You people always give cover to total lack of effort even. No wonder nothing gets even attempted most of the time.

You are not recognising the main issues and placing blame on Biden.

Biden does not require incoming freshmen to live on campus, forcing their room and board payment to be 2o dollars less than a semester's tuition. Colleges do.

Expanding high school curriculum to highlight college bound coursework and college credit is not in Biden's realm - that's the job of school boards.

But yeah, blame Biden for those issues too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:53 am
@Mame,
If the voters can't get a sense of movement out of someone they likely look elsewhere. Biden's poll numbers are in the basement. The public needs a show they are not getting. Besides, much of what I wrote above are things he could have accomplished months ago.
Mame

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Numbers are just numbers and they could change. The guy has inherited a lot of problems - give him some time. Like I said, you don't know what's going on in the WH, behind the scenes. And all your hand-wringing and criticism isn't going to help.
edgarblythe

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 11:08 am
@Mame,
On the contrary, if they don't know what you demand they will not pay attention to you. They have pretty much wasted a year. Much that is going on by the ones dragging feet and putting up roadblocks is planned to run out Biden's term with nothing changed. If the public sits back and expects good results without pressuring these people they are giving them permission to do anything their donors ask or to do nothing.
neptuneblue

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 11:48 am
@edgarblythe,
I love your generalities.

The public IS pushing back.
edgarblythe

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 12:10 pm
@neptuneblue,
They are not all generalities. Most are not generalities.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 01:38 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I agree, but with how the US system works, it seems anything he proposes can get shot down. No one should make promises they can't keep. He should have said, "I would like to..." instead of "I will...".

I treat EVERY promise made by a politician as a "I would like to..." promise, no matter how it is worded.

I am seldom disappointed.

In any case, it is morbidly naïve to treat them any other way.

I treated the "promises" Joe Biden made that way...and I am not as disappointed as you and others here seem to be.

It is my opinion that Joe Biden tried extremely hard to fulfill his "promises"...but that the amount of resistance (and the tenacity of the resistors) from within the party was more than he anticipated.

In any case, I am more interested in what the political promises indicate as a trajectory...rather than as actual promises. I am not a Democrat, but the Democrats seem to be on the right trajectory...even if they are overmatched by opposition. I certainly would not trust Republican promises more than Democratic promises...and for the most part, I despise the trajectory of the Republican promises.
edgarblythe

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 02:15 pm
None of what I write here should be construed as approval of anything Republican. The times Republicans have been right about anything in my memory was by accident and short-lived. As I have tried to make clear, the Democratic Party is the only institution in the country that has the potential to bring democracy to our country. That is why I get so angry when they fail needlessly.
neptuneblue

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 02:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, but...

You fault Biden about swishing a pen to eradicate student debt. Then absolutely REFUSE to understand why it will not solve anything.

That's why I get so angry.
edgarblythe

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 02:32 pm
@neptuneblue,
That's because you are wrong. It will eradicate the debt for people who have it. If in the future somebody doesn't kill the program that doesn't reinstate the debt already erased. That's a positive no matter how you spin it.
edgarblythe

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 02:41 pm
https://robertreich.substack.com/p/truth-about-inflation?fbclid=IwAR0aaZurCRwKkip6K6wtLlcZLANbjN14lsXO0XBlF_LeDMBDbYxN9PIZ96Y
I think that’s a big mistake. Powell’s medicine has nothing to do with the real reason for inflation: the increasing concentration of the American economy into the hands of a relative few corporate giants with the power to raise prices.

If markets were competitive, companies would keep their prices down in order to prevent competitors from grabbing away customers. But they’re raising prices even as they rake in record profits. How can this be? The answer is they have so much market power they can raise prices with impunity.

The underlying problem is not inflation. It’s lack of competition. Corporations are using the excuse of inflation to raise prices and make fatter profits.

In April, Procter & Gamble announced it would start charging more for consumer staples ranging from diapers to toilet paper, citing “rising costs for raw materials, such as resin and pulp, and higher expenses to transport goods.”

That was rubbish. P&G continues to rake in huge profits. In the quarter ending September 30 (after its price increases went into effect) it reported a whopping 24.7 percent profit margin. It even spent $3 billion during the quarter buying back its own stock.

The reason it could raise prices and rake in more money is P&G faces almost no competition. The lion’s share of the market for diapers (to take one example) is controlled by just two companies – P&G and Kimberly-Clark – which coordinate their prices and production. It was hardly a coincidence that Kimberly-Clark announced price increases similar to P&G’s at the same time P&G announced its own price increases.

Or consider another consumer product duopoly – PepsiCo (the parent company of Frito-Lay, Gatorade, Quaker, Tropicana, and other brands), and Coca-Cola. In April, PepsiCo announced it was increasing prices, blaming “higher costs for some ingredients, freight and labor.” That was pure baloney. The company didn’t have to raise prices. It recorded $3 billion in operating profits through September.

If PepsiCo faced tough competition it could never have gotten away with it. Consumers would have deserted it for lower-priced competitors. But PepsiCo clearly colluded with its only major competitor, Coca-Cola – which announced similar price increases at about the same time as PepsiCo, and has increased its profit margins to 28.9 percent.

Half of the recent rise in grocery prices is from meat products — beef, pork, and poultry. Just four large conglomerates control most meat processing. They’re raising their prices — and coordinating their price increases — even as they’re scoring record profits. Here again, they’re using “inflation” as an excuse.

You see the same pattern all over the American economy.

Since the 1980s, two-thirds of all American industries have become more concentrated. Monsanto now sets the prices for most of the nation’s seed corn. Wall Street has consolidated into five giant banks. Airlines have merged from 12 carriers in 1980 to four today, which now control 80 percent of domestic seating capacity. The merger of Boeing and McDonnell Douglas has left the US with just one large producer of civilian aircraft — Boeing. Three giant cable companies dominate broadband: Comcast, AT&T and Verizon. A handful of drug companies control the pharmaceutical industry: Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Johnson & Johnson, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Merck.

All this concentration gives corporations the power to raise prices, because it makes it easy for them to coordinate price increases with the handful of other companies in their same industry — without risking the possibility of losing customers, who have no other choice.

In sum, inflation isn’t driving these price increases. Corporate power is driving them.

So what’s the appropriate government response? Not slowing down the economy. This will only hurt millions of workers, who are just beginning to get the raises they deserve. The problem at the heart of the economy is amenable to only one thing: the aggressive use of antitrust laws to bust up monopolies.

This will take time — perhaps years. In the meantime, Biden and the Democrats could do something with a more immediate effect: Enact a windfall profits tax applicable to any large corporation that raises its prices during the same quarter its profits have risen.
Frank Apisa

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 03:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

https://robertreich.substack.com/p/truth-about-inflation?fbclid=IwAR0aaZurCRwKkip6K6wtLlcZLANbjN14lsXO0XBlF_LeDMBDbYxN9PIZ96Y
I think that’s a big mistake. Powell’s medicine has nothing to do with the real reason for inflation: the increasing concentration of the American economy into the hands of a relative few corporate giants with the power to raise prices.

If markets were competitive, companies would keep their prices down in order to prevent competitors from grabbing away customers. But they’re raising prices even as they rake in record profits. How can this be? The answer is they have so much market power they can raise prices with impunity.

The underlying problem is not inflation. It’s lack of competition. Corporations are using the excuse of inflation to raise prices and make fatter profits.

In April, Procter & Gamble announced it would start charging more for consumer staples ranging from diapers to toilet paper, citing “rising costs for raw materials, such as resin and pulp, and higher expenses to transport goods.”

That was rubbish. P&G continues to rake in huge profits. In the quarter ending September 30 (after its price increases went into effect) it reported a whopping 24.7 percent profit margin. It even spent $3 billion during the quarter buying back its own stock.

The reason it could raise prices and rake in more money is P&G faces almost no competition. The lion’s share of the market for diapers (to take one example) is controlled by just two companies – P&G and Kimberly-Clark – which coordinate their prices and production. It was hardly a coincidence that Kimberly-Clark announced price increases similar to P&G’s at the same time P&G announced its own price increases.

Or consider another consumer product duopoly – PepsiCo (the parent company of Frito-Lay, Gatorade, Quaker, Tropicana, and other brands), and Coca-Cola. In April, PepsiCo announced it was increasing prices, blaming “higher costs for some ingredients, freight and labor.” That was pure baloney. The company didn’t have to raise prices. It recorded $3 billion in operating profits through September.

If PepsiCo faced tough competition it could never have gotten away with it. Consumers would have deserted it for lower-priced competitors. But PepsiCo clearly colluded with its only major competitor, Coca-Cola – which announced similar price increases at about the same time as PepsiCo, and has increased its profit margins to 28.9 percent.

Half of the recent rise in grocery prices is from meat products — beef, pork, and poultry. Just four large conglomerates control most meat processing. They’re raising their prices — and coordinating their price increases — even as they’re scoring record profits. Here again, they’re using “inflation” as an excuse.

You see the same pattern all over the American economy.

Since the 1980s, two-thirds of all American industries have become more concentrated. Monsanto now sets the prices for most of the nation’s seed corn. Wall Street has consolidated into five giant banks. Airlines have merged from 12 carriers in 1980 to four today, which now control 80 percent of domestic seating capacity. The merger of Boeing and McDonnell Douglas has left the US with just one large producer of civilian aircraft — Boeing. Three giant cable companies dominate broadband: Comcast, AT&T and Verizon. A handful of drug companies control the pharmaceutical industry: Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Johnson & Johnson, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Merck.

All this concentration gives corporations the power to raise prices, because it makes it easy for them to coordinate price increases with the handful of other companies in their same industry — without risking the possibility of losing customers, who have no other choice.

In sum, inflation isn’t driving these price increases. Corporate power is driving them.

So what’s the appropriate government response? Not slowing down the economy. This will only hurt millions of workers, who are just beginning to get the raises they deserve. The problem at the heart of the economy is amenable to only one thing: the aggressive use of antitrust laws to bust up monopolies.

This will take time — perhaps years. In the meantime, Biden and the Democrats could do something with a more immediate effect: Enact a windfall profits tax applicable to any large corporation that raises its prices during the same quarter its profits have risen.

Robert Reich by da man, Edgar.

He hit this one out of the park.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 03:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
I still like you, anyways.
0 Replies

Mame

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 03:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I treat EVERY promise made by a politician as a "I would like to..." promise, no matter how it is worded.

I am seldom disappointed.

In any case, it is morbidly naïve to treat them any other way.

I treated the "promises" Joe Biden made that way...and I am not as disappointed as you and others here seem to be.

You are mistaken, sir. I treat them the same way, and I am not disappointed.

Frank Apisa wrote:
It is my opinion that Joe Biden tried extremely hard to fulfill his "promises"...but that the amount of resistance (and the tenacity of the resistors) from within the party was more than he anticipated.

I agree with you. Completely and utterly.

Frank Apisa wrote:
In any case, I am more interested in what the political promises indicate as a trajectory...rather than as actual promises. I am not a Democrat, but the Democrats seem to be on the right trajectory...even if they are overmatched by opposition. I certainly would not trust Republican promises more than Democratic promises...and for the most part, I despise the trajectory of the Republican promises.

Again, agree.
neptuneblue

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 03:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
That's because you are wrong. It will eradicate the debt for people who have it. If in the future somebody doesn't kill the program that doesn't reinstate the debt already erased. That's a positive no matter how you spin it.

It sounds like you think you know what you're talking about. And it's very wrong. There's nothing positive about not fixing a broken system. For you to ignore that is stupidity. Erasing student debt will never happen because it's a BAD IDEA. Fixing the issues is a GOOD IDEA.

You have failed to comment on the requirement of incoming freshmen into college dorms, doubling the cost of their first year. You've yet to comment or even discuss why college credit in high school is not expanded. You've yet to comment on how millions of other students will NOT have their debt erased.