@fbaezer,
German Pentathlon coach punches horse.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/58127366
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 11:12 am
@markr,
markr wrote:
About a day and a third to go. Nail-biting time.
. . .
12 George 768 909.00

Actually, I feel quite confident of maintaining my position.
0 Replies

tgordon92

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 11:21 am
Here's my take on where things stand going in to the final day.

I haven't done the math, but it's safe to say that markr has locked up the gold. Congratulations! You may now count your chickens.

Also, without doing the math, it looks like Oralloy and Ecartmill will fall just short of the medal stand.

That leaves me, McGentrix, and wheel158 battling for two medals. There are 13 events remaining, eight of which are between two known finalists (and two known bronze contenders in some cases). After tallying those the score would be:

tgordon92 1011 (plus up to six additional points)
McGentrix 988 (+9)
wheel158 985 (+10)

The other five events are the men's marathon, rhythmic gymnastics groups, and three cycling events, with a total of 45 points available. So it's still anyone's race among the three of us for silver and bronze. Good luck to everyone!
wheel158

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 11:43 am
@tgordon92,
I checked, and there are still four Boxing Gold Medal matches early tomorrow morning too. Go to Sunday August 8th and expand Boxing:

https://results.nbcolympics.com/results

Not sure if you were including those already, but I'm not dead yet! 😉
markr

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 12:01 pm
@wheel158,
Yep:
IRL vs BRA
USA vs CUB
GBR vs CHN
UZB vs USA

I stopped monitoring last night at 2:20AM PDT. My lead was 50. I went to bed hoping the lead wouldn't drop below 30. I never thought it would grow. I'm fortunate to have had lots of things go my way in the last 24 hours.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 12:08 pm
Day 15
Code:2021 Standings
1 markr 1047 911.00
2 tgordon92 985 911.50
3 McGentrix 970 911.00
4 wheel158 965 911.50
5 Oralloy 935 911.50
6 Ecartmill 934 911.50
7 Skin Rip 920 910.00
8 ehBeth 915 907.00
9 Ticomaya 907 911.50
10 fbaezer 897 911.50
11 lmur 888 911.50
12 George 855 909.00

Eight of us have earned a profit. Let's make it 12!
markr

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 01:07 pm
Before everybody scatters after the final results come in, I'd like to get some feedback from everybody on the tools. I'm not looking for compliments, but criticisms/suggestions are welcome (and may actually be acted upon).

Did you make use of my website (simple interface with regular update intervals)?

In future competitions, would you expect to make use of it?

If it were expanded to include more of what's in the spreadsheet (I already added the country standings with ROI - see link at top of page), would you prefer to use it over the spreadsheet?

Any suggested changes for either medium? Should I bury some of the stuff on the main page of the spreadsheet in other sheets to make that page cleaner (e.g. the cost table on the far left and the team selections on the far right)?

I'm asking about the website mainly because I've got complete control with respect to update frequency (of course, I can't update faster than the site that I get the data from), but I don't know if that matters to folks. I found myself primarily using it (looks cleaner), but then checking to make sure the spreadsheet matched. So, I'm wondering if it's worth expanding it.

Did anybody intentionally NOT view the website because it's not secure? I'm using a simple Python web package, and I'm not a web programmer, so I don't expect to figure out how to make it secure.
oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 02:23 pm
@markr,
Perhaps hackers could modify the data displayed by your website, but I doubt that a website could be so insecure that it would be dangerous to people visiting it with any sort of modern browser. Browser makers are quick to eliminate that sort of vulnerability in their browsers.

I used the "optimal team" list on your spreadsheet more than anything else. I find the "optimal team" section interesting and useful for learning what my team should look like if I want to do better.

Although, having said that, instead of trying to pick a team based on pure mathematics next time, I'm thinking of picking a "team democracy" that will not try to be mathematically perfect, but instead represent as many countries of the free world as possible.

Next time is going to be coming pretty quick if I'm not mistaken. Due to the delay of a year, and the fact that next winter will come half a year sooner than next summer, I think we are only six months away from the next Olympics.
0 Replies

tgordon92

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 03:32 pm
@wheel158,
Yes, my ”known finalist” events include the four boxing gold medal bouts and the remaining team sport finals. Almost all of them have one or both teams on somebody’s list. I’m the only one in contention with either Greece or Serbia, though, so if I’m ahead by nine or more going into the water polo match (the last medal of the Games), then I get the silver.
0 Replies

wheel158

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 06:19 pm
@markr,
Personally, I liked the webpage (http://pinkmeeple.ddns.net:8080/tokyo) a lot. However, I referred to the spreadsheet too, because I sometimes wondered which countries everyone had picked.

I think you did an amazing job with the automatic scoring, setup etc. Thanks for running things!
0 Replies

tgordon92

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 07:11 pm
@markr,
I liked having the simple version on pinkmeeple available on my phone and viewed the spreadsheet on my laptop. One feature that would be useful for 2022 (and more manageable for the Winter Olympics) is the spreadsheet tab you had done previously with a grid of each person's NOCs so that we could go down a column and see who had each one on their team.

Thanks for all of your work in running this!
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 08:36 pm
@markr,
Planning to grab some salt licorice and sour gummies with my profits Very Happy

Great fun.

Always awesome to have this event. Good hosting and reporting.

____

Didn't follow website as I've been in outdoor community pool as much as possible during our extremely short season. More likely to check during winter games.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 08:58 pm
@tgordon92,
Quote:
One feature that would be useful for 2022 (and more manageable for the Winter Olympics) is the spreadsheet tab you had done previously with a grid of each person's NOCs so that we could go down a column and see who had each one on their team.

I think I know which sheet you're referring to. I'd probably transpose it so that there is column per player and a row per country (make it more vertical than horizontal).
0 Replies

tgordon92

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 10:29 pm
An update on where we stand in our race for silver and bronze:

There are seven events remaining (four boxing, volleyball, handball, and water polo) with gold and silver to be decided in each.

I've got both semifinalists in one event, and two other semifinalists, giving me 22 additional guaranteed points.

McGentrix has five semifinalists, giving them 15 additional guaranteed points.

wheel158 has both semifinalists in one event, and four other semifinalists, giving them 20 additional guaranteed points.

So, including awarded and additional guaranteed points, the standings are:

2) tgordon92 1035
3) McGentrix 1007
4) wheel158 1007

So the battle is now for bronze. There are four events where McGentrix and wheel158 are facing off head-to-head:

Volleyball: McGentrix has Brazil; wheel158 has USA.
Women's Lightweight Boxing: McGentrix has Brazil; wheel158 has Brazil.
Men's Lightweight Boxing: McGentrix has USA; wheel158 has Ireland.
Men's Superheavyweight Boxing: McGentrix has Uzbekistan; wheel158 has USA.

In addition, McGentrix has Great Britain in Women's Middleweight Boxing.

If McGentrix gets at least a split of the head-to-head battles, they will win the bronze on the tiebreaker of fewer points spent.

(If my math or logic is wrong, please let me know.)
markr

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 11:09 pm
@tgordon92,
I agree.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 11:19 pm
First win goes to wheel158 as IRL defeats BRA.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2021 12:04 am
wheel158 draws more blood as USA beats BRA in Women's Volleyball. McGentrix needs both remaining boxing golds to take 3rd.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2021 12:13 am
McGentrix rises to the occasion as GBR beats CHN in boxing. The bronze medal comes down to the final boxing match.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2021 12:52 am
UZB defeats USA in boxing to complete the comeback for McGentrix. McGentrix and wheel158 will finish with the same score, but McGentrix's team cost 0.5 less, so McGentrix wins the bronze. Medals and the final score table will be posted tomorrow.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2021 02:24 am
Much better performance than last time! It is is good to play with you guys again.