Maybe I just wasn't ready to be a grandma!

Snowed

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:05 am
My husband and I are in our early 50s. He's 52 and I'm 50. Between us we have 6 grandkids. His adopted daughter has 3. My oldest son has 2 and recently my husband's biological daughter had his first official blood grandchild. I will say this. My husband loves all those kids the same. He shows no favoritism towards any of them. Especially my son's oldest. She's 5 and she thinks my husband hung the moon. He buys her just about anything she wants. Well, now that his daughter has a 4 month old he wants to see that baby as much as he possibly can. If a day or two goes by and he hasn't seen his new granddaughter he'll either go see her or he'll tell his daughter to swing by with the baby. We help out with keeping the baby during the week a few days so he sees her on the regular. And she works at a car dealership so she doesn't really have a set schedule and works most weekends so my husband always volunteers to watch the baby and he loves to take her to church with us on Sunday. I don't have a problem with that sometimes but it seems like every Sunday she's with us. And we also get my son's oldest daughter every other weekend and That's a lot to deal with a new born and a 5 year old. Yes, my husband helps out. So please do not think he's just dropping the kids off on me. I just didn't think that at 50 years old I'd be tied down with grandkids. I don't want kids in my house all the time. My husband says that I'm making more out of this than I need to be and that they are not here all the time. He says that I'm just trying to stay young and not accept the fact that I'm a grandma now. No, I'm not walking around wearing an apron or making chocolate chip cookies for them but I just feel like these are some of the best years of my life and I don't want to be saddled down with grandkids all the time. My husband feels that when you have kids and as they get older then the next logical step is that they will start having kids of their own so I need to get use to the idea of having grandkids and having them around. My husband comes from a big family and every Sunday all the kids and most of the grandkids always meet up at their parent's house for Sunday dinner. His mom has a wall full of grandkids photos when they were babies, throughout school, high school and college graduations. This is his parent's first great-grandchild so you know how everyone feels about her. Is this baby here too much or was I just not ready to step into the role of grandparent at my age? My husband says that with my son's oldest daughter being 5 years old now I should have embraced that roll by now. Not saying that I have to be knitting in a rocking chair but I should be happy to have grandkids. He and his daughter are very close and he was in the operating room when she had an emergency c-section. He even stayed with her at the hospital for a few days till she was able to come home. Am I wrong here? He feels that I'm trying to limit his contact with his granddaughter. I'm not, I just don't want grandkids at my house all the time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 957 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:15 am
@Snowed,
Ok so this is really weird –

So from what you describe above you are married to 4thtwin as you describe the exact situation that he did but from the perspective of the wife that does not want to have his grandchild at home every weekend.

But when you answered on his question you seemed fully in support of having a grandchild on the weekends to the point you were very aggressive about your opinion that he should have his grandchild every weekend. Now you seem to have the opposite opinion....

From what you wrote on “your husband’s” thread
“Maybe I'm missing something. Of all those who responded no one seems to see the problem here. Yes, I'm female and I don't understand why everyone feels he's gotta get permission to watch his very own granddaughter. When did she get all the power and say so? Just because they're married doesn't give her any more power than him to say when his granddaughter can come over. She doesn't sound like she's embraced the idea of being a grandma yet, even though her own son has 2 kids. Granted, some people are not kid people and I understand that. But it sounds like this guy loves not only his biological granddaughter but the others as well. I don't see him showing any favoritism to any of them. It sounds like this woman had her husband all to herself but now that there's a new grandbaby in the house a few days a week she's feeling neglected. Jealous over a newborn. How old is she? My parents can't get enough of my kids. They call almost everyday and even got iphones so they could Facetime and see them on the regular. I see nothing wrong with this guy wanting to create that bond with his granddaughter. It's bond now and these kids will always worship the ground you walk upon. Don't bond and these are going to be kids who won't come visit you later in life when you really need them. Yall need to get off this guy's back and let him enjoy his time with his granddaughter. The wife needs to grow up more and understand this is his blood. Blood is thicker than water and it's definitely thicker than a marriage certificate. Keep pushing him and I assure you there may be a divorce down the road.”

https://able2know.org/topic/559016-2#post-7137345
Mame

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 08:58 am
@Linkat,
I thought the same thing! Why aren't they talking to each other or what's their game?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 11:17 am
@Mame,
It reminds me of the episode of Malcolm in the Middle with Susan Sarandon.

The family is at a big event and Sarandon latches on to Lois complaining about her husband and asking for advice which Lois gives.

The next thing Sarandon’s husband rounds on Lois, and this back and forth continues for the rest of the episode.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 11:59 am
@Mame,
I think the name fits her --- I think that is what she is trying to do to us.

But we are not dumb.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 01:36 pm
I think the OP is as bored as the other poster, maybe this is some sort of a test to see if women get the same advice as men.
Mame

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 05:41 pm
@glitterbag,
I hope they both go away and see a counsellor together. Maybe they're both men (or women) and pulling our legs?
0 Replies