The Half Blood Prince (WARNING: SPOILERS!)

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:16 am
Does anyone else think it's an interesting coincidence that they are dealing with magical devices that keep people alive, even though they might seem to die, at exactly the time when the most beloved character is killed?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 07:34 am
I don't get what you're saying, Brandon.

Who or what does the second "they" in your sentence refer to?

Who is the most beloved character?

And coincidental to what?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 08:24 am
boomerang wrote:

Dumbledore is killed right when the characters are dealing with magical devices that make it impossible for someone to die.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 08:43 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
boomerang wrote:

Dumbledore is killed right when the characters are dealing with magical devices that make it impossible for someone to die.

wait who was dealing with magical devices that make it impossible for someone to die? how do i not remember that?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:09 am
I think Brandon is talking about Horcruxs but I don't remember them making it impossible for someone to die.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:11 am
dragon49 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
boomerang wrote:

wait who was dealing with magical devices that make it impossible for someone to die? how do i not remember that?

I don't know why. They were called Horcruxes and even being "killed" didn't completely kill you, as when the ricochet from the baby Harry appeared to or did kill Voldemoort, but because of his use of Horcruxes, he came back. Did you not pick up on that?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:20 am
Oh!

Not impossible -- just more difficult.

I don't think Dumbledore created a horcrux for himself but I do think they have another way to hide.

Back at the first of the book, the first potion they make is the "draught of living death" or something like that.

Dumbledore also tells Malfoy that "they can't kill you if you're already dead and we can hide you more completely than you think" of something like that.

I still think Snape is someone being hidden in this way -- maybe not Regilus, but somebody.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:47 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
dragon49 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
boomerang wrote:

I don't know why. They were called Horcruxes and even being "killed" didn't completely kill you, as when the ricochet from the baby Harry appeared to or did kill Voldemoort, but because of his use of Horcruxes, he came back. Did you not pick up on that?

oh sorry i did. so you think dumbledore created a horcrux? in order to do that he would have to kill someone...did he do that? maybe in the fight at the end of OofP? i don't remember...
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:57 am
Yeah! Boom man, I have an inkling that DD used the draught of living death.

But what strikes me after the pseudo-death of DD is that no one from the order knew his plans. Of course, that info might leak. But DD didn't even tell McGonogall, and others. Notice their reaction in the infirmary ward when Harry broke the news of DDs demise- their grief and shock seems genuine.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:23 am
I think that if Dumbledore did something to make himself unkillable, it either had to do with the draught of death or occurred at that time.

I also tend to feel that Dumbledore knows/knew something about Snape that no one else does, which was his reason for regarding him as above suspicion.

Thirdly, I was very impressed when, at the beginning of the book, Dumbledore showed empathy for even as unsympathetic a character as Dudley Dursley when he said to the parents something like "the damage that you've already done to that poor soul." If his intelligence and magical skill don't make him godlike, his kindness and empathy do.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:29 am
here's my question though, as this has been brought up before, excuse my repetition, but dumbledore's picture shows up on the headmaster's wall. didn't they say that only dead headmaster's get hung up there? how could you fool that? just wondering...maybe i didn't read it closely enough...
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:54 am
Actually, what it said in HBP (warning i don't have the book in front of me.) that DDs portrait appeared along side the portraits of dead Headmasters. No where does it say in the book you have to be dead for your portrait to appear. Actually, the series isnt' clear abt how portraits get up there. Then how abt Umbridge? Why didn't her portrait appear? I think the school has to recognize you as a headmaster/mistress. Umbridge couldn't get into the DDs office.
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 12:08 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I also tend to feel that Dumbledore knows/knew something about Snape that no one else does, which was his reason for regarding him as above suspicion.

I was waiting for somebody to bring this up. Didn't it explain somewhere in HBP why Snape turned? The chapter "the seer overheard" DD said that Snape felt sorry after finding out it was his info that caused the death of James and Lily. First there's no way that he felt sorry enough for James to turn (they loathe each other). It must have been Lily then. I don't think an infatuation of a crush is strong enough to feel so remorseful as to switch sides. I think they have history- snape and lily; they were went out. They both were good in potions. Lily tried to defend snape when james was bullying him. And it was mentioned that Lily had the ability to see the goodness within people.
0 Replies

fizzle

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 03:55 pm
k well isnt it possible that snape got the book second-hand? so that the book was made about 50 years ago but snape used it while he went to school- also im really tryng to find clues to help me place snape- evil or not? so far im not sure i mean he has always been soooo evil to harry, but otherwise he seemed to be on the same side as dumbedore...at the end of book 5 in the hospital wing when dumbldore is telling everyone wha to do- he tells snape somehing like "u no wht u have to do?, are you ready" could this mean that he was supposed to contact voldemort? ill get the exact quote later- snape however is good at occlumecy adn legilamicy that he could be playing either one of them
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:40 pm
Yeah, Snape's good in occlumency and legilimency, and so is Dumbledore. Any1 remembers the scene on top of the astronomy tower where the Death Eaters has DD cornered in HBP? Snape comes in and pauses. Isn't it possible that they were reading each other's mind to an extent that they had a conversion in their heads? It'd be cool to be able to do with a buddy. DD must have been "please kill me" or "you know what I've asked you to do"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 06:56 am
The book had been Snape's mom, Eileen Prince's book. I had forgotten that she was Snape's mom, at least according to Hermione.

Something had to have happened with Snape -- something bigger than feeling bad about setting Voldemort on James and Lilly.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 07:28 am
boomerang wrote:
Something had to have happened with Snape -- something bigger than feeling bad about setting Voldemort on James and Lilly.

i think he was in love with lily, so when voldemort went to kill them, he wasn't supposed to kill lily, she was to be left for snape. but she sacrificed herself for harry, so snape got really upset, the love of his life dead, etc, and since it was for harry, snape resents him for the death of lily.

just a thought...
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 10:02 am
I missed over something that i read on the net recently: something about Lily wasn't suppose to die. Voldermort's target was just James and Harry. I wonder why? Lily only died b/c she tried to get in the way.

hey dragon49. I'm not sure but if this is true, then Snape must have turned for a reason more than unrequited love. Would you switch sides for the death of a person you admire/love but doesn't have/had feelings for you? I think Snape and Lily dated, maybe was abt to be married (the thought of that!!!!!) but something happened and she fell for james.
0 Replies

fizzle

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 03:44 pm
i guess that makes sense cuz that would also explain why snape hates lupin, sirius cuz they were all close to james and james stole lily from snape- i dunno its just a theory....

at the end of book 4 dumbledore asks snape "you know what must be done severus, are you ready?" and then snape goes off- he goes to talk to voldemort...then at the beginning of book 6 when bellatrix is accusing snape of not returning when voldemort returned, snape says "i waited two hours, dont you see? by waiting two hours i ensured my trust with dumbledore so i made it look like i was following the order of dumbledore" (these quotes arent exact) so i dunno whoever is being played by snape has turned a pretty blind eye... i think its possible snape coudve fooled voldmort but wouldnt contacting dumbledore and the order be hard if snape LIVED with wormtail?? also isnt it funny that everyone calles him wormtail? not peter? its like everyone calling sirius padfoot or lupin mooney...
0 Replies

JamieR

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:37 am
Radical Edward wrote:
boomerang wrote:
I think Harry is a Horcrux too! That's why Snape warns the death eaters away from killing Harry. "He belongs to the Dark Lord" (or something like that) Snape says and the death eaters don't even try to kill Harry.

Very good arguments here -- but I was wondering if Voldemort's own attempt to kill Harry in Book 4 might complicate or derail this theory. Certainly there must be a spell employed first to regain your soul fraction from a horcrux before destroying its host?

This is my first post. I'm really impressed with the quality of thinking in this forum. : )
0 Replies