The Half Blood Prince (WARNING: SPOILERS!)

boomerang

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 07:03 pm
Oh!

I think Ginny is the horcrux!

Tom Riddle says this about Ginny writing in the diary:

Quote:
If I say it myself, Harry, I've always been able to charm the people I needed. So Ginny poured out her soul to me, and her soul happened to be exactly what I wanted... I grew stronger and stronger on a diet of her deepest fears, her darkest secrets. I grew powerful, far more powerful that little Miss Weasley. Powerful enough to start feeding Miss Weasley a few of my secrets, to start pouring a little of my soul back into her..."

Perhaps that's why Ginny was able to open the chamber of secrets when only the heir of Slytherin (Tom Riddle) was supposed to be able to do it.

So maybe either Harry or Ginny will have to die.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 09:56 pm
oh wow.
Nicely picked up on, boomerang.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 04:38 am
boomerang wrote:
Oh!

Quote:
If I say it myself, Harry, I've always been able to charm the people I needed. So Ginny poured out her soul to me, and her soul happened to be exactly what I wanted... I grew stronger and stronger on a diet of her deepest fears, her darkest secrets. I grew powerful, far more powerful that little Miss Weasley. Powerful enough to start feeding Miss Weasley a few of my secrets, to start pouring a little of my soul back into her..."

Perhaps that's why Ginny was able to open the chamber of secrets when only the heir of Slytherin (Tom Riddle) was supposed to be able to do it.

mmm impressive - and scary - how to deal with that without harming her?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 09:59 am
Has it ever been explained what happened to Neville's parents? I know he lives with his grandmother....

Could he and Harry be twins?

Maybe seperated out to protect them?

I suppose Neville would have shown up in old family photos though....

I'm just trying to figure out how Neville fits in. Tom Riddle - orphan. Harry - orphan. Neville - orphan.

Hmmmm.....
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 02:36 pm
boomerang wrote:
Has it ever been explained what happened to Neville's parents? I know he lives with his grandmother....

Could he and Harry be twins?

Maybe seperated out to protect them?

I suppose Neville would have shown up in old family photos though....

I'm just trying to figure out how Neville fits in. Tom Riddle - orphan. Harry - orphan. Neville - orphan.

Hmmmm.....

No, no, his parents are alive and in St. Mungo's Hospital, same wing where Gilderoy Lockhart wound up, survivors of the cruciatus curse, I believe.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 02:47 pm
Neville's parents were driven insane by the pain of that curse.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 07:15 pm
Hmmmm.

In the third book there are several allusions to how much Neville looked like Peter Pettigrew -- the guy who was murdered by Sirius Black and the reason Black ended up in prison.

Rereading reminds me of how much I've forgotten over the years. It's been kind of fun rereading them as one long story while having an idea of what the final destination will be.
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 07:27 pm
boomerang wrote:
Oh!

Interesting theory; but if it's true, then a question comes up. Could a horcrux create another horcrux? Tom Riddle was himself a horcrux created by Voldermort. Anyway, I'm not so sure about this theory because you NEED to kill someone to create a horcrux (if I didn't misunderstand it from HBP). No one died in CoS. However I do believe that Ginny would be a crucial character in the last of the series.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:26 am
Riddle IS Voldemort -- Harry was getting to him through the diary.

I don't think they know what happens when someone is made into a horcrux. Dumbledore said that it was possible. I think they would have to stay alive or it wouldn't do any good to give them part of your soul. If they were dead there wouldn't be any way to get it back.

I just finished rereading the third book and I think that Pettigrew might really be Neville's dad -- that the St. Mungo's thing is a story to keep him from knowing that his dad turned in the Potter's.

I also think there might be more to Hermoine's cat, Crookshanks, than if first thought....
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:55 am
wow boomerang, you are very perceptive. i haven't reread any of them yet. and it will have to wait for a while since i have a huge exam coming up in december.

but, i have agree, the dairy was a horcrux so the dairy would have had to have created another horcrux in Ginny. And I do recall that inorder to rip your soul which was necessary to create a horcrux, you had to kill someone. plus one would think that if she had some of voldemort's soul in her, she would have some of the same powers as him (much like harry i might add). hmmm, rowling better get writing because i am getting antsy already.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:18 pm
Points of Clarification:

1) Sirius Black did not kill Peter Petigrew; Black was framed and Petigrew is still alive.

2) While we don't know whether or not a horcrux can create another horcrux, we do know that someone must be killed in order to create one. I don't recall anyone dying in The Chamber of Secrets, but can't verify since my copy's boxed up for an impending move. If nobody was killed, then Ginny isn't a horcrux.

3) The diary was the horcrux; Riddle was a manifestation of that part of Voldemort's soul that was contained in the horcrux. The remnant of Voldemort 'Prime' is hiding and attempting to recover somewhere in Europe at this time (we're informed of this towards the end of The Goblet of Fire).
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:25 pm
Mills75 wrote:

2) While we don't know whether or not a horcrux can create another horcrux, we do know that someone must be killed in order to create one. I don't recall anyone dying in The Chamber of Secrets, but can't verify since my copy's boxed up for an impending move. If nobody was killed, then Ginny isn't a horcrux.

i dont recall anyone getting killed either...however, harry's parents got killed just before he was attacked so it is feasible he is a horcrux on accident by voldemort...
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:35 pm
dragon49 wrote:
i dont recall anyone getting killed either...however, harry's parents got killed just before he was attacked so it is feasible he is a horcrux on accident by voldemort...

Precisely my theory.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:13 pm
Nobody died.

I must have missed where it said that somebody had to die. I'll reread it again after I get through 4 and 5.

Sirius did go to prison for Pettigrew's murder (even though we know he wasn't murdered after all).

I should read more and speculate less!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:12 pm
no, i love your speculation, it's great to read!!!
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:21 am
Hi, I might be missing something here, but....

There are a couple of references to Harry being made to write in his own blood by whats her name.......Umbridge.....neither me or my friend remember this bit...did it happen?

Also, does anyone else agree that HBP is not as good as the other books? I did like it but I think J.K Rowling has written it too quickly, under too much pressure, and she's written it to go for the film...eg she hasn't given as much description about how the characters move and their actions, more how the actors act, and their acting techniques... I just didn't find it as good as her original first few books...

I am so totally devestated that she's killed off my fave character- Sirius, and now Dumbledore!!!! WHY WHY WHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY?!!!!!!
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:57 am
honey_rose_cr: then you'll really be crushed when she kills off Harry in the last one! (Just speculation)

In The Order of the Phoenix Umbridge had Harry write "I will not lie" (or something to that effect) with a magical quill that caused what he wrote on the paper to be carved into his hand (it also seem to be using his blood as ink). She had Harry do this so much that Harry has a scar on the back of his hand that says "I will not lie" (or something to that effect). She did this as punishment for Harry saying that Voldemort was back. There was a reference to the scar on his hand in HBP.

I disagree that HBP seems rushed or poorly written; it's more expository than the other books, but it has to be in order to explain the things that need to be explained (e.g., Voldemort's origins, the horcruxes, etc.) and set the stage for the climax.

I think Sirius' death is important to the story because it underscores the danger Harry faces and how much he has lost because of Voldemort. I think it's also necessary for Dumbledore to be out of the picture in order for Harry to really be the hero--Dumbledore is the only wizard Voldemort fears and probably the most powerful wizard until his demise; the story becomes more gripping and compelling with Dumbledore out of the way--the odds have been tilted in the bad guy's favor.
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:44 am
honey_rose_cr wrote:

I am so totally devestated that she's killed off my fave character- Sirius, and now Dumbledore!!!! WHY WHY WHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY?!!!!!!

Don't say that he's dead! I won't believe it! Very Happy
But seriously, check this site out, www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com
The guy who created this website list a lot of hints supporting the idea that Dumbledor is still alive!

Mills75 wrote:

think it's also necessary for Dumbledore to be out of the picture in order for Harry to really be the hero--Dumbledore is the only wizard Voldemort fears and probably the most powerful wizard until his demise; the story becomes more gripping and compelling with Dumbledore out of the way--the odds have been tilted in the bad guy's favor.

I totally agree Mills. Most of the Seventh book would require HP to work alone. Finishing off Voldermort is HP's responsibility. But I'm wondering, Harry has a long way to go before he's good enough to duel Voldermort. I mean c'mon, even snape can brush off his attacks.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 02:32 pm
rhythm.synergy wrote:
But I'm wondering, Harry has a long way to go before he's good enough to duel Voldermort. I mean c'mon, even snape can brush off his attacks.

Harry will definitely have to develop occulemency (sp?) and practice his silent spellcasting.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 02:34 pm
rhythm

that site rocks. wow i didn't realize how many hidden messages she sends. i enjoyed it thanks.
0 Replies