The Half Blood Prince (WARNING: SPOILERS!)

rhythm synergy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:22 pm
carlotta wrote:
Hello Potter readers -

I know I'm jumping into this discussion cold, and I haven't read all of the previous submissions, but has there been any talk about the notion that Dumbledore may have created a horcrux for himself, knowing that he might be killed ?

Sorry if this idea has already been chewed on.

Love your site,

Carlotta

Welcome Carlotta! No we haven't talked about that. But you should check out http://www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com/, which has a lot of hints found in HBP that support what this URL name says.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 09:50 am
I don't think Dumbledore would create a horcrux; in HBP we're giving the idea that creating a horcrux is an evil and unnatural act.
0 Replies

exohex

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:56 pm
boomerang wrote:

I also think there might be more to Hermoine's cat, Crookshanks, than if first thought....

jk said that crookshanks is half kneazle and if you dont have fantastic beasts and where to find them ill tell you everything it says:

M.O.M. Classification : XXX
The Kneazle was originally bred in Britain, through it is now exported worldwide.A small catlike creature with flecked,speckled, or spotted fun, outsized ears, and a tail like a lion's, the Kneazle is intelligent, independent, and ocasionally agressive, though if it takes a liking to a witch or wizard, it makes an excellent pet. The Kneazle has an uncanny ability to detect unsavoury or suspicious characters and can be relied upon to guide its owner safely home if they are lost. Kneazles have up to eight kittens in a litter and can interbreed with cats. Licences are required for ownership as (like Crups and Fwoopers) Kneazles are sufficiently unusual in appearance to attract Muggle interest

hope that helped any theory you had in mind
0 Replies

exohex

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:03 pm
princesspupule wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
dumbledore???

I'm going to go into mourning now...

Or maybe he will come back alive in the 7th book?

Nobody else has come back to life, so why would you think Dumbledore would be the exception to Rowling's rule?

hasn't anybody thought that dumbledore made a HORCRUXE!!!!!!!!!?!?!??!?!
0 Replies

exohex

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:04 pm
sorry i just posted about the dumbledore/horcruxe thing and than i relized that it was being discussed at the top of the page Rolling Eyes well ya pretend i never said nething....... Shocked
0 Replies

exohex

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:10 pm
boomerang wrote:

I think the Dursley's know something, or have something, to do with this and that's why Dumbledore insists that Harry has to go back there.

someone in the book(i think dumbledore)(i dont remember which book) tells harry that there is a spell on the dursleys house that protects harry and there is know way for the dark lord to get in...... something close to that. anyway it keeps harry safe when he's away from hogwarts because when you think about it what are the dursleys suppose to do if voldemort goes there??? and hogwarts is one of the safest places and i think they put the same protection on the dursleys house..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:14 pm
exohex wrote:

hope that helped any theory you had in mind

I WAS thinking that perhaps Crookshanks was really Mandungus Fletcher (?) as they are both described as "bandy legged and ginger haired" but now I don't think so.

<humph>

Welcome to A2K, exohex. It sounds like you've really done some homework on Harry!
0 Replies

exohex

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:37 pm
boomerang wrote:

Welcome to A2K, exohex. It sounds like you've really done some homework on Harry!

ya i really want to figure out things for the next book so i wont have to keep going back and checking and its such a long wait till the next book Sad Crying or Very sad
i also have many theories and i want to try and figure out everything that will happen in book7.
0 Replies

grimaulkin

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 06:52 pm
I don't think Dumbledor is really dead
because: (1) He insisted that Snape do something that Snape did not want to, and I think that was to participate in appearing to kill him; (2) At his funeral, there was no explanation for the mysterious phoenix-like phenomenon that preceded the creation of his tomb; and (3) when Dumbledor was talking to Draco Malfoy, it appeared that Dumbledor was saying that he, Dumbledor, was not really in any danger but instead was offering Malfoy an opportunity to renounce Voldemort. (And fourthly, as someone already mentioned, it certainly appeared that Snape did not like being thought of as a coward but could not reveal why his act was not cowardly and that Snape refrained from harming Harry at all, choosing only to defend himself against Harry's curses.)

OK, having said that, about the Centaurs attending the funeral -- Weren't the centaurs at war with humans the last time they were mentioned? And maybe Hagrid's brother has become sufficiently civilized that he will be of some assistance in the final book?

And what are Ron's parents going to say when he announces that he and Hermione are going to go on a quest to help Harry find Horcruxes and kill Voldemort? Will the entire DA join the quest, at least in a support capacity?
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 09:09 pm
Re: I don't think Dumbledor is really dead
grimaulkin wrote:

And maybe Hagrid's brother has become sufficiently civilized that he will be of some assistance in the final book?

Yup I think he's gonna be important in the last book.

Has anyone heard of John Granger's Theory in the book "Looking for God in Harry Potter" that Alchemy is a central theme in the books and that the last three will symbolise each of the alchemical states - black (OotP), white (HBP) and red (Book 7)?

Notice :
Sirius BLACK (dies in book 5)
ALBUS (i.e. white) Dumbledore (dies in book 6???)
REBEUS (i.e latin for red) Hagrid

The last 2 books has followed John Granger's Theory. I have a strong feeling that Hagrid would be very critical in the last book. Maybe he'll help Grawp convince or beat the other giants into helping the good side.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 05:51 pm
exohex wrote:

someone in the book(i think dumbledore)(i dont remember which book) tells harry that there is a spell on the dursleys house that protects harry and there is know way for the dark lord to get in...... something close to that. anyway it keeps harry safe when he's away from hogwarts because when you think about it what are the dursleys suppose to do if voldemort goes there??? and hogwarts is one of the safest places and i think they put the same protection on the dursleys house..

Yes. For sure there is a charm or something on the Dursley's. They do talk about it in the HBP but I've been rereading The...Phoenix and...

After Harry and Dudley are attacked by the dementors we find out that Petunia knows something about all this. Mr. Dursley starts ranting telling Harry that he has to leave and never come back. Petunia then gets a howler that says "Remember my last, Petunia" and she tell Mr. Dursley that Harry has to stay.

So. Who sent that howler and what is "my last"?

Any ideas?
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 10:31 pm
My theory:

McGonagall doesn't like the Dursley's, she said so in the Sorcerers/Philosophers Stone. Maybe she sent a Howler to them when Harry was first left on their doorstep so they didn't put Harry up for adoption or something? And since she doesn't like them, she wouldn't hold back at sending them one. I know, it's pretty out there, but you never know. Smile
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 08:40 am
i always thought the howlers were from dumbledore. i have always thought that petunia was a witch but renounced it and did nothing since she didn't want to be a "freak". any thoughts on maybe petunia playing a role in 7?
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:21 am
boomerang wrote:

Dumbledore clearly explained it in the end to Harry that it was Dumbledore that send the howler. I think DD also explained what "my last" meant. I don't have it in hand. I could be wrong, but i think it's the last letter that he sent petunia when harry was found on the doorsteps of the dursley. There was a letter there that explained (I assume) the protectiont that petunia would be giving Harry.

dragon49, remember in OoTP when Petunia finds out the Voldy is back? Harry thought something like he was glad that Petunia was related by blood to him for once. It'd be interesting if she does play a role in 7th.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:27 am
i think she knows a lot more than she lets on. i think she is a witch too, but who knows.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:44 am
Petunia could have a big role in Book 7. Sister witches are very trendy right now with the musical "Wicked" being such a big hit.
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:46 am
dragon, hmmm.. looking back, she did slip the thing about the Dementors in OoTP. And she did know the extent of the power of Voldermort so much so that she was horrified at the thought of the idea. But I can't imagine how Petunia could play a role in the 7th. I can't see her risking her life for HP.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:50 pm
rhythm.synergy wrote:
boomerang wrote:

Dumbledore clearly explained it in the end to Harry that it was Dumbledore that send the howler. I think DD also explained what "my last" meant. I don't have it in hand. I could be wrong, but i think it's the last letter that he sent petunia when harry was found on the doorsteps of the dursley. There was a letter there that explained (I assume) the protectiont that petunia would be giving Harry.

I'll just jump in here because I always reread the last one or two books before the next one comes out, so I just read OotP a week or two ago. "Remember my last" was indeed from Dumbledore, and was reminding Petunia of his last missive to her, which told her that she was obligated to give Harry a place in the Dursley home.

I agree with the people who've mentioned that Neville will play a big part in the last one. Harry has reflected so much on how nearly it could have been Neville that the prophecy was referrring to, and like someone else commented (cant remember who, sorry! Good point, whoever you are!) Neville has been getting more capable and courageous in each book. I wonder if he will be the next character to buy the farm?

Definitely the mirror that Sirius gave Harry has to play a part in the last one, or why was it even mentioned? I thought it was odd that Harry only rememberd it after Sirius died and then nothing happened with it....? Ijust don't know how Rowling can pack everything into one more book!!!
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:31 pm
I doubt that Petunia's a witch. Her knowledge of the magic world and Voldemort could easily be things she overheard or Lily told her. I forget which book it was, but we're given a clear sense that Petunia was jealous of Lily; she mentions (bitterly) in one of the books how happy and proud her parents were when Lily received her Hogwarts letter and how special they thought she was while Petunia was the only one who could see the truth that Lily was a freak. I think we've got the classic case of the parents favoring the child with special talents while more or less ignoring the other and the resentment that caused.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:40 pm
Mills75 wrote:
I doubt that Petunia's a witch. Her knowledge of the magic world and Voldemort could easily be things she overheard or Lily told her. I forget which book it was, but we're given a clear sense that Petunia was jealous of Lily; she mentions (bitterly) in one of the books how happy and proud her parents were when Lily received her Hogwarts letter and how special they thought she was while Petunia was the only one who could see the truth that Lily was a freak. I think we've got the classic case of the parents favoring the child with special talents while more or less ignoring the other and the resentment that caused.

i think that what leads me to believe she is a witch...because she knows all about this stuff. and maybe lily was better at it than her and she only had marginal witch stuff...so she didn't get an invite to hogwarts...
0 Replies