The Half Blood Prince (WARNING: SPOILERS!)

Kunfusion

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:29 am
It wouldn't surprise me if Harry is a Horcrux. The equal to Voldermort, Parseltongue, was supposed to be placed in Slytherin apparently, same wand, similar abilities, able to feel what Voldermort is feeling, having his blood taken to revive Voldermort... amongst most things.

This really suggests Harry IS Voldermort in a way. And that in turn suggests Harry has a piece of Voldermort in him. If Harry is a Horcrux, I don't think Voldermort made it that intentionally. But it might have been some kind of accident? Leaving his mark on Harry and all?

I mean, if Harry obtained Pareseltongue and all those other things from Voldermort with the backfire of a spell, why not take part of his soul? Voldermort was seriously weakened, perhaps that's the effect of your soul being "ripped apart" and a Horcrux taking effect? Having your life shattered and transferred to someone else- seems appropriate he would be weakened.

And then there's Harry, the Chosen One. What better candidate for a Horcrux than someone protected by Dumbledore and to grow up to be the one who kills Voldermort?
With all the other Horcruxes it's fair enough- destroy them and become one step closer to finishing off Voldermort. However, would anyone really want to risk killing Harry? Yes, another Horcrux would be gone but then again so would the chance of destroying Voldermort since Harry is supposed to be the only one who can do it.

The attempts to kill Harry is what leads me to believe it was an accident. It's clever to make a powerful wizard a Horcrux. They are potentially untouchable, and therefore Voldermort would be too. However, the fact that Harry and Voldermort will have to face off is probably what causes Voldermort to want to kill him off.

Remember, Riddle doesn't like to rely on anyone else, right? And he sure as hell is relying on Harry in some way. Horcrux or not, they are going to have to face off against each other. One will have to die, so I don't think the idea of having to destroy one of his own Horcruxes matters to Voldermort. Either that or he can just be killed by Harry or run from him at every chance. And that wouldn't make him much of a Dark Lord, would it?

Snape saying Harry "Belongs to the Dark Lord suggests this also. Draco and the Death Eaters could have easily killed Harry as they did with Dumbledore. But they didn't.
Looks like Voldermort isn't that intent on killing Harry as well think. Or to be more blunt, he wants to kill Harry HIMSELF.

Perhaps to extract his soul from Harry? Or killing him would be more like suicide? Perhaps destroying your own Horcrux, your own soul has a different effect to destroying someone elses?

Harry is the greatest threat to Voldermort, and he has been an easy target for a long time now. With Dumbledore weakened Voldermort could have just strolled in, pulled Harry's head off his shoulders and walked back out of Hogwarts. He could have had Snape drag him back to Voldermort. He could have had Snape or Draco kill him at anytime. Perhaps Voldermort no longer wants Harry dead?

I honestly don't think Harry would be alive if he didn't serve a greater purpose to Voldermort.

If this is all true, I think at the end of the second book Harry will either:

- End up killing himself, leaving someone else to finish off Voldermort
- End up killing himself AND Voldermort.
- Become Voldermort
- Become the Dark Lord but get on with his life rather than use his powers for evil or whatever.

The prophecy I think hints that if one survives, they'll both be dead.
"Neither can live while the other survives"

So both will be dead if one is living. If Harry dies, Voldermort would be the victor, but at the same time Harry was a Horcrux so Voldermort is a goner too.
Or maybe it has something to do with Harry being "The boy who lived"? Maybe both will sort of "die"? Except all these connections to Voldermort will be removed from Harry (including the mark on his forehead) and he'll finally be detached from Voldermort once and for all and become his own person, free to live his own life knowing he's avenged his loved ones and saved the Wizarding World?

But there is a connection between Voldermort and Harry, nobody can doubt that. I think the only explanation for that is Harry having a bit of Voldermort in him, being a Horcrux. A spell backfire would not have caused that in my opinion.

And I also agree Dumbledore pleaded with Snape to kill him rather than Draco. I don't think Snape's loyalty lies with Voldermort completely. And remember, Draco didn't tell Snape all about his plans. Perhaps if Snape knew he would have done something to stop it?

And Draco failed his mission. He didn't kill Dumbledore, so isn't he and Snape supposed to be on Voldermort's death list now? This may spark a potential rebellion from Snape and Draco against Voldermort. Snape and Draco defied Voldermort, which is what I think is a hint of them not being bad guys.
Perhaps they will go into hiding? Not sure, but I can't wait for the finale to find out! Very Happy
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 12:22 pm
i just don't like the idea of harry dying. that would ruin it for me. but, if he is a horcrux, maybe he kills the last of voldemort, but always carries the last part of him around, forever trying to keep it contained. hmm, i don't know, i just don't want harry to die. i guess i like happy endings...harry and ginny with harry as defense against the dark arts teacher, and ron and hermoine living next door.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 12:27 pm
I think she'll kill of someone important but no way will she kill off Harry.

Ron -- maybe. Hermoine -- maybe. Ginny -- very possibly.

I don't think that kid's books let evil win.
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 02:42 pm
dragon49- i agree. I would HATE it if harry died. I'm not sure how Rowling is gonna pull this off. She can make it a tragedy (I see a bloody mess like Hamlet). Or end the series with a fairy tale ending (Harry riding off in the sunset on a broom with Ginny Very Happy).

Kunfusion, I totally agree that Harry is a horcrux. But, typical of Harry, he's oblivious of this! Dumbledore knew for sure. This could explain the weird instrument in Dumbledore's office after the attack on Mr Weasly in OotP, when first there is one snake and then Dumbledore asks "but in essence divided?" and it splits itself into two snakes. Dumbledore knew that part of Riddle's soul is in Potter.

Now, how do you destroy a Horcrux without destroying the object itself? Can you pull out Riddle's soul out of the Horcruxes without destroying the object?
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 02:46 pm
boomerang wrote:

May sound stupid, but who is 'she' when you mentioned 'she'll kill someone'.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 02:56 pm
rhythm.synergy wrote:
boomerang wrote:

May sound stupid, but who is 'she' when you mentioned 'she'll kill someone'.

Rowling, I should think.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:12 pm
Yes, Rowling it is!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:23 pm
rhythm.synergy wrote:
Now, how do you destroy a Horcrux without destroying the object itself? Can you pull out Riddle's soul out of the Horcruxes without destroying the object?

maybe they don't get rid of the part of voldemort's soul in harry. maybe that is why he will be the defense against the dark arts teacher...voldemort will finally have the job he always wanted thru harry. and harry will be the one who rid the earth of the dark lord by being a part of him and controlling that part of himself. hmmm...so much to anticipate.
0 Replies

Kunfusion

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:39 pm
She could very well kill off Harry. Realising he has to destroy the Horcruxes on his own, having to leave behind his friends and everything he loves behind is one huge sacrifice- I think he'll make a hero's sacrifice in the end for them all.

He's not going back to his uncle's home- Dumbledore's protection is gone.
He's not going back to Hogwarts- apparently.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 04:06 pm
Dumbledore told him that he had to go back to the Dursley's one last time so he will go back there and I'm sure he'll find out something very signifigant.

And he's almost an adult so he could be on his own.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:40 am
in HBP, Dumbledore still had the ring that was once a Horcrux; the part of Voldemort's soul that was in it had been destroyed, yet the ring remained intact. Perhaps this is an indication that a Horcrux itself (e.g., Harry?) need not be completely destroyed to eradicate the portion of Voldemort's soul that it contains.
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:26 am
lab rat wrote:
in HBP, Dumbledore still had the ring that was once a Horcrux; the part of Voldemort's soul that was in it had been destroyed, yet the ring remained intact.

Oh really? I don't remember reading that Dumbledore had it somewhere. Meh, I must be getting old

Kunfusion, it'll be a sad day when Harry dies. I can imagine a bunch of HP fans crying at the thought of that. But it does seem like it's going that way.

Another thought that's been burning my mind, who is this R.A.B? I know I read some previous theory earlier on the post. I'm not even sure if he's a good guy or a bad guy from the note in the horcrux. Confused
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:02 pm
Mills75 wrote:
honey_rose_cr: then you'll really be crushed when she kills off Harry in the last one! (Just speculation)

Oh I don't care about Harry, why didn't she just kill him off in the first one?
...oh wait, maybe coz he's the main character...but still...I like the characters in the sidelines eg Lupin, Sirius etc etc

Thanks for reminding me about the whole 'I will not lie' thing, I was thinking about the wrong thing it seems...
I really don't think that HBP is as good as the other books, but this is just my opinion. I don't like the fact that Lupin and Tonks hooked up, just doesn't seem to be a right match to me, oh well, again just my opinion...

I hope Rowling doesn't release the 7th book too soon, surely TOOTP and HBP didn't have a big enough gap between them...

Honey_rose_cr
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:37 pm
Dumbledore is seen wearing the ring horcrux earlier in the book (his arm and hand were wounded retrieving it), but we're not told whether or not Voldemort's soul 'fragment' had been removed at that point (Dumbledore isn't wearing the ring later in the book).
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:42 pm
Surprised You hate HARRY!!! hahah. Joking. But i do agree that JK took SOOO long with this book. If i have to wait another 2 years for the 7th then _______ (fill in the blanks with anything).
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:56 pm
i thought at one point in HBP, the ring was cracked? am i making that up or i did i read it? can't remember completely.
0 Replies

Kunfusion

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:19 pm
To be honest, I couldn't care less if Harry dies or not either. I don't think he's a great character- at least compared to all the others. It'll be sad if he dies, but oh well... in my opinion it could have been worse.

Mrs Norris could have died Razz
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:22 am
You like Mrs Norris more than HP Surprised! Hahaha. But I do somewhat I agree. I don't like Potters moody temperance in the 4th and 5th book. He seems more subdued this time around though.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 11:45 am
well Harry's a teenager and it's true teenage behaviour - he'll grow out of it - much more real than if he was sweetness and light permanently.

i don't think he'll be killed, as someone says, they are childrens books and I can't see him being killed.

I like Lupin and I think him and Tonks is a great combination and I hope they have a happy ending.
0 Replies

carlotta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:50 pm
Hello Potter readers -

I know I'm jumping into this discussion cold, and I haven't read all of the previous submissions, but has there been any talk about the notion that Dumbledore may have created a horcrux for himself, knowing that he might be killed ?

Sorry if this idea has already been chewed on.

Love your site,

Carlotta
0 Replies