Why are there TWO official Covid-19 vaccines?

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 03:09 pm
Hi. I don't know too much about recent positive developments regarding the Covid-19 pandemic and crisis. I do know two official Covid-19 vaccines were produced according to https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines.html :

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine

Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine

And there are 3 undergoing Phase 3 clinical trails:

AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine

Janssen’s COVID-19 vaccine

Novavax’s COVID-19 vaccine​

Why has more than one official vaccine been produced? Were additional ones going to be made in case people were allergic to at least one and not the others? My mother told me about the two official vaccines that were produced. She said one was better and safer than the other one. The other one she said is not good. How do I find out which one is which? When I contact my mother again I am going to ask her which one she took.

Please help. Thank you.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 03:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
The same reason there’s more than one drugs manufacturer.

When different firms produce different vaccines there’s no guarantee they’ll work which is why it’s a good idea to make as many as possible. We’re fortunate so many have proven to be very effective.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 07:43 pm
Pfizer, Moderna, and Janssen are all safe, and all will prevent the disease from killing you.

Novavax is still undergoing testing for another month or so, but their interim test results look promising. It is almost certain that they will be proven safe and effective as well.

US regulators have some questions about AstraZeneca's current test results and so they are undergoing further tests before being allowed in the US. I'm unsure when their new tests will conclude.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 02:01 pm
I spoke to my mother recently. She doesn't even know which vaccine she took. The staff at the center has to look it up. My mother said she would get back to me when she finds out.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 02:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
I can see why you’re so reliant on her for information.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 02:17 pm
@izzythepush,
She told ME there were too vaccines and that one vaccine was better than the other.

I am going to wait to hear back from her about this.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 05:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

She told ME there were too [sic] vaccines and that one vaccine was better than the other.

I am going to wait to hear back from her about this.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing And you're listening to her as an expert in this subject.
JGoldman10 wrote:

I spoke to my mother recently. She doesn't even know which vaccine she took. The staff at the center has to look it up. My mother said she would get back to me when she finds out.

When even the link you yourself posted indicated that there are three officially recognized and FDA-approved vaccines.
https://imgur.com/3LbRNJS.jpg
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 06:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh pardon me. I overlooked the Johnson and Johnson one and left it out. I didn't even notice that one when I made this thread.

I never said my mother is an expert. My mother is still stuck in a nearby rehab center and nursing facility and it's still closed to the public.

Maybe CVS can suggest which one I should use.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 07:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm sure CVS will give good advice.

I'm also sure that their advice will be that all three approved vaccines are safe, and that all three approved vaccines will prevent the disease from doing you serious harm.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 08:47 pm
@oralloy,
Are you serious or are you being facetious? I am not a medical expert.

I can call the rehab center my mom is in and ask to speak to an aide about this.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 08:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
I am being serious.

But if you want to be sure, go ahead and call CVS or consult your doctor.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 08:55 pm
@oralloy,
I think talking to someone at my physician's office is a better idea. I can ask to speak to a medical aide at my mother's rehab center also.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 08:57 pm
@JGoldman10,
Either will give you good advice. Go ahead and talk to them.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 09:00 pm
@oralloy,
You don't trust CVS?
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 09:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
I think they as well will give you good advice.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 09:10 pm
@oralloy,
Okay. It seemed like you were implying they would give me dubious advice.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 06:17 am
I just had my vaccination, the healthcare workers who gave me the jab didn’t know what jab your mum had or which is the best.

They’d never even heard of your mum.

I will be writing a letter of complaint to the Lord Chief Justice.
0 Replies

LucasBlack78

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 04:37 am
@JGoldman10,
In fact, there are three official COVID vaccines in the US. Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson. Pfizer and Moderna jabs are m-RNA-based vaccines, while J&J is viral vector type of vaccine. Generally, all these vaccine safe and effective. So far, there is not much data to conclude that one is better than the others. It’d be better you check with your PCP to know more about the safety and efficacy of these vaccines.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 11:44 am
I, initially, was going to get the Johnson and Johnson as it was only one dose...then there were some that developed blood clots after getting this particular shot...especially in women...I honestly do not know all the details and whether it is because of this shot or not but since we have a choice I figured why tempt fate.

So at looking at the other two Pfizer was then approved for children at a certain age and since my youngest was just over 18 it seemed to make sense to get the shot approved for those closer to her age...also it seemed to make sense that this particular shot has progressed further in studies since it was further along in being approved for younger children.

So my daughter and I went together to CVS that was giving the Pfizer shot.

It felt safer to me but that is simply my personal fee!ings and readings NOT a medical expert. Your doctor would be most knowledgeable about your own personal health and situation if you have questions.

But long story short ... Johnson and Johnson, Moderna and Pfizer have been approved in the US.
oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 01:19 pm
@Linkat,
I got Moderna for my first two shots back in the spring because that is all that the vaccine clinic had to offer me at the time.

I got Johnson and Johnson for my booster. And I did so by choice. Actually I had to really search for a place that would give me a Johnson & Johnson booster.

What I'm planning to do is alternate between viral vector vaccines like Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca, and mRNA/protein vaccines like Pfizer, Moderna, and Novavax. I'm also planning to rotate between different vaccines.

So for my next booster I'll do Novavax if they are finally on the market. Currently they are having trouble producing it in the volumes that are needed in order to go to market. If not I'll do Pfizer.

After that I'll be back to viral vector vaccines and hopefully AstraZeneca will be approved in the US by then.

After that I'll do either Pfizer or Novavax, whichever I didn't do previously.
0 Replies