Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

goldberg

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 03:51 am
@oralloy,
I once come upon some Muslim radicals in a chatroom years ago. It made me incandescent when they started rebuking me for not believing what they had told me. A Muslim girl even slagged me off. They also said something I couldn't figure out. I don't speak Arabic. I also tried to sneer at them by telling them that I'm Abudula Laduta from Iran.
goldberg

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 04:00 am
I chose that name because Vladimir Nabokov's novel Lolita came to mind
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 04:06 am
AOC criticizes Biden statement of support for Israel as siding with 'occupation'
The president said Israel has the right to defend itself against Hamas' attacks.

By Brie Stimson

"U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., criticized President Biden over his Wednesday statement of support for Israel amid escalating violence with Hamas, claiming he gave little context for what stoked the tensions and was consequently "siding with occupation."

Biden told reporters Israel has a right to defend itself "when you have thousands of rockets flying into your territory."

Ocasio-Cortez tweeted that Biden had failed to mention the pending evictions of dozens of Palestinians from their homes in East Jerusalem in favor of Israelis and the Israeli police raid of the Al-Aqsa mosque that left hundreds of worshippers hurt as an instigator to Hamas’ rocket attacks.

She said statements that don’t recognize Israel’s role in the violence "dehumanize Palestinians & imply the US will look the other way at human rights violations. It’s wrong."

"By only stepping in to name Hamas’ actions - which are condemnable - & refusing to acknowledge the rights of Palestinians, Biden reinforces the false idea that Palestinians instigated this cycle of violence," she wrote. "This is not neutral language. It takes a side - the side of occupation."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi put out a similar statement Tuesday saying Israel has the right to defend itself against Hamas’ "indiscriminate" attacks.

State Department spokesman Ned Price responded to a tweet U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar sent Wednesday, in which she claimed the deputy mayor of Jerusalem was supporting "ethnic cleansing" in his defense of the evictions, according to The New York Times.

"This deputy mayor is describing ethnic cleansing here, yet everyone is the West is pretending that’s not what’s happening to Palestinians," Omar tweeted.

Prince told reporters Omar's claim was "not something that our analysis supports."

At least 67 people have been killed in Gaza and seven people in Israel since the violence started, including some women and children on both sides, Reuters reported.

The current eruption of violence began a month ago in Jerusalem, where heavy-handed Israeli police tactics during Ramadan and the threatened eviction of dozens of Palestinian families by Jewish settlers ignited protests and clashes with police. A focal point was the Al-Aqsa Mosque, built on a hilltop compound that is revered by Jews and Muslims, where police fired tear gas and stun grenades at protesters who threw chairs and stones at them.

Hamas, claiming to be defending Jerusalem, launched a barrage of rockets at the city late Monday, setting off days of fighting.

A representative for Ocasio-Cortez did not immediately respond to request for comment. "

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
goldberg

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 04:11 am
AOC is said to have some friends who happen to be Muslim believers.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 04:20 am
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:
I also side with Israel.

All good people do.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 04:21 am
@goldberg,
Brie Stimson wrote:
Ocasio-Cortez tweeted that Biden had failed to mention the pending evictions of dozens of Palestinians from their homes in East Jerusalem in favor of Israelis and the Israeli police raid of the Al-Aqsa mosque that left hundreds of worshippers hurt as an instigator to Hamas' rocket attacks.

It's not like Muslims have any business being at a Jewish holy site anyway.

And if the Palestinians want to live on that land then they should consider making peace with Israel.
goldberg

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 04:24 am
@goldberg,
I once came upon some Muslim radicals
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 04:25 am
@oralloy,
There you go. I have to read something. Have a good day.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 04:43 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
It's not like Muslims have any business being at a Jewish holy site anyway.
All of Jerusalem, for instance, is holy to three religions: Christian, Jewish and Moslem.

The Islamic Waqf administers the Temple Mount complex. Jordan, which is the former ruler of the Old City, retains custodial rights over the area and oversees the complex.
The Israeli government controls the Western Wall, while a group of Christians administers the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.
... ... ...

Last week, during the orthodox Easter festivities, Israel blocked some Christians from the Holy Fire ceremony.
The keys to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which has been the subject to dispute between different sects of Christianity throughout history, are kept by two Palestinian Muslim families.
oralloy

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 04:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
All of Jerusalem, for instance, is holy to three religions: Christian, Jewish and Moslem.

Jerusalem belongs to the Jewish religion, as does the whole of Israel. Other religious claims are invalid and should be rejected with force.

Turkey and Syria belong to Christianity. We need to resume the Crusades and drive the Muslims out. IMO.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 05:16 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Jerusalem belongs to the Jewish religion, as does the whole of Israel. Other religious claims are invalid and should be rejected with force.
Israel is home to most of the holiest sites in Christianity, and - as the official Israel proudly says - "since the reunification of Jerusalem in 1967, Israel has granted access to holy sites of all faiths and has restored and rebuilt Christian, Jewish and Muslim holy sites".

Israeli law mandates that everyone, regardless of religious affiliation, has the right to visit all holy places within Israel: "Whoever does anything that is likely to violate the freedom of access of the members of the various religions to the places sacred to them is liable to imprisonment for a term of five years." (Protection of Holy Places Law 5727 (1967)
oralloy

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 05:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
My opinion differs.

I guess I've no objection to non-Jewish faiths maintaining discrete religions sites in Israel if they do not overlap with Jewish religions sites.

The Temple Mount however is a Jewish religious site.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 09:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
We are talking about a terrorist organization called Hamas. It has been firing rockets into Israel. That's why Israel has no choice but to strike back. Palestine is a destitute place riven by internal strife. How could Hamas have bought lots of rockets? From Iran’s Revolutionary Guards and the elite Qods Force? From Iran's Shia proxy Hezbollah in Lebanon?

You really have to take such terrorist groups down. The onus is on you to fight with brothers in Israel to repel the enemy-that is Hamas.

0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 09:27 am
From Fox News

"Virginia Lt. Gov. nominee Winsome Sears, the first Black female Republican to participate in the race, told "Fox & Friends" on Thursday that critical race theory curriculum is "nonsense."

Sears, a Marine veteran, pushed back against teaching children to see White people and their families as "racist."
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 09:47 am
I remember having read an article about critical race theory, which is written by a scribe working at The Economist. I also felt sorry for black folk last year after reading some articles about the sufferings of black people. Yet last summer's rioting changed my perception of this matter, particularly after I saw some video clips that showed black people setting shops on fire and even duffing Asian Americans up after they barged into their shops last year. One video clip even shows a loutish black man making a mockery of a victim whose shop has been destroyed by some black hoods.

It's uncalled-for. You can't say you are a victim of racial discrimination when your black fellows also attack non-black people. And you have to admit that not just your Black Lives Matter.

The old Asian women and men who have been assaulted by black people are innocent. Some of them don't even speak English; they are too old to learn.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 05:34 pm
Wow. Gaza is really getting hammered. Nice.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 05:51 pm
I find this deeply disturbing -

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/b7/c6/fe/b7c6fe67febe0355116294362b3ec9b4.jpg
https://twitter.com/IsraeliPM/status/1034849460344573952?s=20
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 05:54 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

I don't understand why the world is letting it happen, except that the world is a cruel bastard.
oralloy

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 06:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
The world is letting Israel defend themselves, one, because Israel has the right to defend themselves, and two, because Israel will smash anyone who tries to prevent them from defending themselves.

The world is letting Palestinians murder innocent Israelis because how can anyone prevent Palestinians from murdering innocent people? It's just what Palestinians do.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 06:01 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
I find this deeply disturbing

Israel didn't make the world the way it is.

Their nuclear weapons program (what the tweet was about) ensures that they are strong enough to survive in it.
0 Replies