Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Lash

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 05:19 pm
Izzy wrote:
Pressure was put on him but if he had dug his heels in and insisted on running there was nothing anyone could do.

It's not unprecedented, over here Harold Wilson, Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair, Boris Johnson and Liz Truss were all replaced without an election, and only Johnson,Wilson and Thatcher had any kind 9f leadership contest.

I think that letter was written by someone other than Biden and published against his will. I think he was threatened.

That list of people stepping down all addressed the public.

Who are you guys trying so hard with all the dishonesty to try once again to obfuscate facts? Just tell the truth.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 05:37 pm
@Lash,
Here we go again, unsubstantiated conspiracy theory bollocks, straight from the far right media.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 05:39 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Who are you guys trying so hard with all the dishonesty to try once again to obfuscate facts?

That is you in a nutshell.

That's all you've done.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 06:02 pm
From Bret Weinstein's wikipedia page
Quote:
...As of early 2024, [Weinstein] has favoured Robert F. Kennedy Jr. for the 2024 United States presidential election.[48]

...During the COVID-19 pandemic, Weinstein made several public appearances advocating the use of the antiparasitic drug ivermectin to prevent or treat the disease and downplaying the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines.[49] David Gorski, in Science-Based Medicine, described Weinstein as a prominent "COVID-19 contrarian and spreader of disinformation", and "one of the foremost purveyors of COVID-19 disinformation", citing his appearances on Joe Rogan and Bill Maher.[50][34] Sam Harris criticized Weinstein's advocacy, stating that he "consider[s] it dangerous".[34] Eric Topol, professor of molecular medicine, described Weinstein's position on mRNA vaccines as "totally irresponsible. It's reckless. It's sick. It's predatory. It's really sad."[34] Assistant clinical professor Christopher Dainton has characterized Weinstein as one of the "intelligent misinformers" – someone whose academic and presentational skills gives their medical misinformation a "superficial air of credibility".[51]

Weinstein has made erroneous claims that ivermectin can prevent or treat COVID-19, calling it "a near-perfect COVID prophylactic".[52][50] There is no good evidence to support such claims.[53][54][55] Weinstein hosted ivermectin advocate Pierre Kory on his DarkHorse podcast to discuss the drug,[56][57] and advocated for the use of ivermectin on other podcast and television news appearances.[58][59] Weinstein took ivermectin during a livestream video and said both he and his wife had not been vaccinated because of their fears concerning COVID-19 vaccines.[60] YouTube demonetized the couple's channels in response to their claims about ivermectin. Afterward, Weinstein and Heying moved their subsequent broadcasts to the fringe alternative video sharing platform Odysee.[56] In August 2021, Weinstein said he had misstated that a study had shown a 100% effective ivermectin protocol for the prevention of COVID.[53][61] Weinstein considers himself a supporter of vaccines in general; he believes mRNA vaccines have promise despite what he claims are "some clear design flaws".[41] Weinstein has falsely claimed that the spike protein produced by or contained within COVID-19 vaccines is "very dangerous" and "cytotoxic".[62][63][64] Weinstein has said that ivermectin alone is "good enough to end the pandemic at any point" and claimed that the drug's true effectiveness against COVID-19 was being suppressed in order to push vaccines for the financial benefit of Big Pharma.[65] He has told Fox News' Tucker Carlson that if ivermectin functioned as he thought it did, then "the debate about the vaccines would be over by definition."[66]

...Appearing on a Joe Rogan podcast in February 2024, Weinstein erroneously stated that some people with AIDS were not infected with HIV and that he found the idea that AIDS was caused by party drugs such as poppers, rather than the HIV virus, "surprisingly compelling". The American Foundation for AIDS Research reacted to the podcast, saying "It is disappointing to see platforms being used to spout old, baseless theories about HIV. ... The fact is that the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), untreated, causes AIDS. ... Mr. Rogan and Mr. Weinstein do their listeners a disservice in disseminating false information ...".[67][68]
Lash

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 06:24 pm
@izzythepush,
I don’t watch any msm, right or left. Couldn’t tell you what they say.
Lash

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 06:27 pm
@blatham,
You and the great liberal horde were all wrong about Covid and vaccines.
Weinstein was right.
You guys are so slow to figure things out.
Builder

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 06:40 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
You guys are so slow to figure things out.

I think most people who fell for the mass marketing campaign are still in denial.

Cognitive dissonance is the "new normal".

Healthy athletes around the globe, dropping like flies, and apparently that's normal, too.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 06:51 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Trump's own VP, who obviously had a long and close working relationship and knows the man and his motivations, personality, etc writes a very telling tweet:
Quote:
Mike Pence@Mike_Pence
President Joe Biden made the right decision for our country and I thank him for putting the interests of our Nation ahead of his own. After the assassination attempt on President Trump and President Biden’s decision to end his campaign, now is a time for leaders in both parties to project calm and send a message of strength and resolve to America’s friends and enemies alike that, whatever the state of our politics, the American people are strong and our American military stands ready to defend our freedom and our vital national interests anywhere in the world.
7:08 AM · Jul 22, 2024
3.3M

Views

All I can say is: Holy ****!

Good move, Mike. Very classy move.
blatham

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 08:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It is. Though it is uncertain whether events of Jan 6 - including the possibility of Pence being beaten or murdered - had not happened, whether he would have taken such a stand. Still, he definitely deserves a hat tip here.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 11:00 pm
Quote by Matt Walsh

The president of the United States, holed up in a beach house hundreds of miles from the White House, was just deposed by tweet. There was no speech or press conference. There was no photo or video of Joe Biden making any kind of announcement. Instead, early in the afternoon on Sunday, Joe Biden's Twitter account — an account we know that he does not control, and likely doesn’t even know how to use — posted a letter, bearing what appeared to be Biden's digital signature, declaring that he won't seek re-election.
About a half an hour later, Biden's Twitter account posted a separate message endorsing Kamala Harris as Biden's successor — without providing any indication as to why the endorsement wasn't included in the letter. Biden's chief of staff informed Cabinet officials of the news. At no point on Sunday did we see or hear Biden himself. The man who won 15 million votes in primaries all over the country just a few months ago — the man who said repeatedly that he was going to run for re-election as recently as a few days ago — was nowhere to be found. All we know is that Biden has now abandoned the presidential race, whether he realizes it or not. If it was a shock to you when you found out that Biden dropped out, imagine what a shock it will be to Biden when he finds out that he dropped out.
Following the attempts to imprison and assassinate Biden's primary political opponent, what happened on Sunday moves us even closer to third-world status. America is lurching towards an unstable and unpredictable system of government when presidential candidates can disappear and then quit without appearing in public. And that's after the media and party machinery conspired for years to hide the candidate's progressive cognitive impairment.
This is what decline looks like. And we can't lose sight of it amid all the partisan political drama.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 11:37 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The European Greens have been infiltrated to the degree that they pursue punitive laws and regs on the people rather than corporations to improve green policies—which is a huge sign to me they’re bullshit.
There are about 40 green parties in Europe , all with a different national focus.

The Greens in the EU-parliament, commonly referred to as "European Greens" are one of the political groups in the European Parliament.
This group is essentially supported by two European parties, the European Green Party (EGP) and the regionalist European Free Alliance (EFA).

To which of those are you referring and what is your source for your claim?

Here in Germany, we have since 1980 two different factions within the Green Party: the Fundis, which is short for fundamentalists and the Realos (which is self-explaining).
(For instance, the Realos are in favour of government cooperation, the Fundis oppose it. [More or less.])
vikorr

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2024 12:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In the other thread on why people believe Trumps lies, one of the reasons 'the big lie' is still believed by so many people, is the big lie was said by so many people so many times & back up by doctored footage (removed from context) that people had the uneasy feeling that it was true.

The above is essentially what is known as propaganda - say something enough times, and people will believe it was true (with a modern twist due to the invention of CCTV)

The incredible thing is that people who shout down viewers of the 'mainstream media' as victims of propaganda....are themselves the victim of propaganda (it's only the source & the lie that differs)

Why people don't check both sides of a story, why they don't fact check what they are told & why they ignore information they don't like, I'll never really understand, as it is the only way to check if your media is engaging in propaganda...But to throw allegations of indoctrination & propaganda around while themselves buying a different propaganda...is not just the pinnacle of hypocrisy...it is utterly (to use Builder's phrase) cognitively dissonant.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2024 03:09 am
Quote:

Yet this character laid out a case eerily similar to Matt Walsh's screed posted above by another character prone to posting conspiracy theories from dubious sources!
Quote:

Who are you guys trying so hard with all the dishonesty to try once again to obfuscate facts?

Classic projection.
hightor

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2024 03:18 am
Quote:
Vice President Kamala Harris has continued to rack up endorsements and delegates since President Biden’s surprise announcement yesterday that he would not accept the 2024 Democratic presidential nomination. As of tonight, Harris has the support of at least 2,471 delegates, more than the 1,976 she will need to secure the nomination.

Endorsements have also continued to mount, with the Congressional Black Caucus, the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, the Congressional Progressive Caucus, the AAPI (Asian American and Pacific Islander) Victory Fund, and the Latino Victory Fund all endorsing her.

Labor unions have also backed her: the AFL-CIO, which represents 12.5 million workers, endorsed Harris. So did the Service Employees International Union, with 2 million workers, as well as the United Steelworkers, which represents 850,000 metal workers and miners, and the Communications Workers of America. Other unions endorsing Harris include the American Federation of Teachers, the United Food and Commercial Workers, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.

Money continues to roll in. Since Biden’s announcement, Harris and the Democrats have raised about $250 million in donations and pledges. More than 888,000 were from small-dollar donors. Volunteers are also joining the Harris campaign, which said that more than 28,000 people have signed up to work on the campaign in the day since Biden passed the torch. Today, Beyoncé gave Harris permission to use her song “Freedom” as a campaign song, and TikTok users have jumped on the Harris trend.

Harris is keeping some of the key infrastructure of Biden’s campaign. She has announced that Biden campaign manager Julie Chávez-Rodriguez and Biden campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon will remain in their positions. Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer announced today that she, too, will stay on as co-chair for Harris’s campaign as she was for Biden’s.

Harris spoke today at campaign headquarters in Wilmington, Delaware, smoothing the transition from Biden’s campaign to her own. “I know it’s been a rollercoaster and we’re all filled with so many mixed emotions about this,” Harris said. “We love Joe and Jill. We really do. They truly are like family.” Biden called in to the meeting from Delaware, where he is isolating as he recovers from Covid, to thank the staff. “I know it’s hard, because you’ve poured your heart and soul into me, to help us win this thing,” Biden told them, but added: “The name changed at the top of the ticket. The mission hasn’t changed at all.” Biden told Harris: “I’m watching you kid, I love you. You’re the best, kid.”

Harris went on to indicate that she will be taking the fight for the presidency aggressively to Trump, highlighting his criminal behavior. “Before I was elected as Vice President, before I was elected as United States Senator,” she said today, “I was the elected Attorney General, as I've mentioned, to California, and before that, I was a courtroom prosecutor. In those roles I took on perpetrators of all kinds. Predators who abused women. Fraudsters who ripped off consumers. Cheaters who broke the rules for their own gain. So hear me when I say I know Donald Trump's type.”

She was clear, though, that the fight is not just about Trump; it is about “two different versions of what we see as the future of our country…. Donald Trump wants to take our country backward. To a time before many of our fellow Americans had full freedoms and rights. But we believe in a brighter future that makes room for all Americans.” She promised to continue the work of building the middle class, protect abortion rights, enact commonsense gun safety legislation, and protect voting rights. She contrasted the Democrats’ vision of “a country of freedom, compassion, and rule of law” with the Republicans’: “a country of chaos, fear, and hate.”

Biden’s announcement and Harris’s rapid consolidation of support and money appear to have blindsided the Trump-Vance campaign. MAGA Republicans have responded with scattershot arguments that suggest they had not thought through a scenario in which Biden would step down, an omission so astonishing it perhaps suggests they could not imagine a presumptive nominee voluntarily giving up power.

Without a coherent strategy, MAGA Republicans today have been all over the map, suggesting among other things that Biden’s voluntarily stepping down from his presumptive nomination is a “coup” [emphasis mine] and that Harris is a “D[iversity] E[quity and] I[nclusion] hire.”

For a party that is offering voters a popular set of policies, the opposing party’s nominee shouldn’t matter all that much, but Trump policies and the Trump campaign’s Project 2025 are both so unpopular that operatives intended to run not on policy but by firing up their base against Biden himself. In The Atlantic yesterday, journalist Tim Alberta explained that the entire Trump campaign apparatus was focused on Biden and that putting extremist Ohio senator J.D. Vance on the ticket “was something of a luxury meant to run up margins with the base in a blowout rather than persuade swing voters in a nail-biter.”

Now the energy appears to have shifted. As Anne Applebaum wrote today in The Atlantic, operatives staged the Republican National Convention of just last week to project strength and power, and Trump’s rambling and incoherent performance there seemed “deranged, sinister, and frightening.” Now, Applebaum wrote, “it just looks deranged,” as Biden’s decision to step away from power contrasts powerfully with Trump’s desperate attempts to cling to power with the Big Lie while he calls up his threadbare descriptions of national carnage.

The change Applebaum identified dovetailed neatly with a new political action committee started by conservative lawyer George Conway to highlight Trump’s “mental unfitness for office.” Frustrated by the apparent unwillingness of the press to cover Trump’s mental health while it focused on President Biden’s, Conway formed the “Anti-Psychopath PAC” to highlight Trump’s mental state. “The failure to treat Trump’s behavior as pathological has led the media and the country, perversely, to treat it as normal,” Conway told The Independent, and said that Project 2025 should be seen as an extension of Trump’s malignant narcissism “because basically he wants to turn the government into a mechanism for retribution.”

A post on Trump’s social media feed tonight suggested that Trump recognizes that being the oldest candidate ever nominated for the presidency is a campaign issue. The post said that “Lyin’ Kamala Harris…has absolutely terrible pole [sic] numbers against a fine and brilliant young man named DONALD J. TRUMP! Be careful what you wish for, Democrats???”

Today, Trump’s vice presidential pick Vance gave his first campaign speech at his former high school in Middletown, Ohio. There, dressed in a blue suit with a red tie that echoed Trump’s signature look, Vance spoke of his history in the town and promised that he and Trump are “ready to save America.” But his lack of experience on the campaign trail showed in his delivery, and the Fox News Channel, which was covering the speech, cut away from it while he was speaking.

Media outlets gave more attention to the Ohio state senator who preceded Vance, George Lang, who began a chant of “fight, fight, fight” and told the audience: "I believe wholeheartedly Donald Trump and Butler County's JD Vance are the last chance to save our country politically. I'm afraid if we lose this one, it's going to take a civil war to save the country, and it will be saved." He later posted on social media that he regretted his “divisive remarks.”

Later in the day, Vance spoke in Radford, Virginia, where he said that “[h]istory will remember Joe Biden as not just a quitter, which he is, but as one of the worst presidents in the history of the United States of America.” He continued: “Kamala Harris is a million times worse and everybody knows it. She signed up for every single one of Joe Biden’s failures, and she lied about his mental capacity to serve as president.”

Josh Dawsey and Michael Scherer of the Washington Post reported today on a different kind of jockeying in the 2024 presidential race. Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has recently been in talks with Trump about dropping out of the race and endorsing Trump in exchange for a position in a Trump administration. Kennedy, who opposes vaccines, is interested in a portfolio that covers health and medical issues.

hcr
hightor

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2024 03:43 am
Well, this didn't take long:

Why Trump Suddenly Thinks Picking J.D. Vance Was a Mistake

Joe Biden’s decision to drop out and endorse Kamala Harris to succeed him on the Democratic ticket has Donald Trump’s team scrambling.

Quote:
Republicans may be starting to second-guess their party’s pick for vice president.

Much of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, including the decision to tap Ohio Senator J.D. Vance as his running mate, was structured around attacks on President Joe Biden. But then Biden announced Sunday that he was withdrawing from the presidential race altogether.

Trump campaign officials acknowledged that Trump selected the inexperienced Vance, charged with all his techno-authoritarian ideas, to boost support among their own base, not extend a hand to swing voters, according to The Atlantic. Vance was a symbol of the Trump team’s assuredness that they would win in 2024. Come Sunday, that assuredness appears to be shrinking.

“Most striking thing I heard from Trump allies yesterday was the second-guessing of JD Vance—a selection, they acknowledged, that was [born] of cockiness, meant to run up margins with the base in a blowout rather than persuade swing voters in a nail-biter,” Atlantic staff writer Tim Alberta, who had written the piece about the panicking Trump campaign, posted on X (formerly Twitter).

Trump decried Biden’s decision to drop out in a post on Truth Social, writing that his team would have to “start all over again” and asking to be reimbursed for the cost. At the same time, Vance has set straight to work, calling for Biden to resign from the presidency.

Meanwhile, the Democrats possess a new potential nominee in the form of Vice President Kamala Harris. And as a result, the party had one of the best fundraising days ever.

tnr

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2024 04:34 am

Quote:
The Volatile Mermaid@OhNoSheTwitnt
13h
If you think the attacks on Kamala for not having any children are misogynistic, imagine if she had 5 kids by 3 different men.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2024 04:49 am
@Lash,
Lies.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2024 04:51 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Just Truth Social.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2024 05:11 am
Ronald Reagan was as senile as **** during his last term, and nobody askedhim to step down before his term expired.

At the end it was president Nancy making all the decisions.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2024 06:17 am
Quote:
Margaret Sullivan reposted
Ed O'Keefe@edokeefe
NEW THIS AM:
@KamalaHarris raised more than $100 million between Sunday and Monday night. The money has come from more than 1.1 million "unique donors," the campaign says - 62% of them are first-time givers.

Perhaps more encouraging for Dems: More than 58,000 people have signed up to volunteer for the Harris campaign since Sunday afternoon.

Other left-leaning groups reporting similar surges in money and manpower.
4:30 AM · Jul 23, 2024

0 Replies