Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

glitterbag

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 02:37 pm
@Lash,
If he actually steps down today, that makes Kamala the new President.
thack45

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 02:39 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

You can count on them getting really dirty.

If the Democratic nominee is black and a woman? What could go wrong?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 03:07 pm
@glitterbag,
I’m aware.

And Biden is open to the same lawfare treatment Trump got.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 03:10 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:
@hightor,
It will be interesting how the Trump campaign will respond afterwards, after spending years attacking Biden on his age and his mental age, as well as whatever legal troubles Hunter Biden got involved in.

Hightor replies that it will be dirty and indeed that will prove true.

GOP strategists have understood for months or longer that this was possible and will have been active on oppo research designed to denigrate Harris and to degrade her reputation in both white and black communities. As of today, such projects by the GOP and right wing extremists will now go into overdrive bit.ly/3zOQHh9. Along with such efforts, we can predict from past experience that bot farms in Russia, China and North Korea will be receiving new instructions to bolster US right wing entities (their intentions continuing to be the weakening of US/Western liberal governments' power and standing in the world). The flood of **** (including blatant appeals to racism and gender bias) will wash over the discourse until the election and, if Harris is the nominee and wins the election, longer. This all will be very ugly.

But at the same time, I think, the right wing entities mentioned above will now be put on their back feet. They will have been delighted with the increasing despair felt by many Dems which I fully expect to be erased with Biden's decision and a Harris candidacy. They understand she's both bright and fierce and and that her candidacy will engender widespread support from women and from the black community, two demographics they understand are a serious threat electorally. Further, because Harris' nomination seems likely but not certain, they will have their attention and agitprop schemes somewhat divided over a number of possible targets.

Edit:
Quote:
MAGA War Room@MAGAIncWarRoom
Kamala was in on it. She covered up Joe's obvious mental decline. Kamala knew Joe couldn't do the job, so she did it. Look what she got done: a border invasion, runaway inflation, the American Dream dead.
blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 03:41 pm
Above, Lash wrote:
Quote:
And Biden is open to the same lawfare treatment Trump got.

Let's make a guess as to the source of this concept. It could be either someone such as conservative legal scholar John Michael Luttig or some other individual such as Steve Bannon. It's a real puzzle.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 03:46 pm
@blatham,
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 03:49 pm
From Josh Marshall at TPM
Quote:
This isn’t what I want to be discussing right now. But it’s so urgent that it’s necessary. Donald Trump and Chris LaCivita are about to hit Kamala Harris with an avalanche of racist and sexist attacks and a ton of slut-shaming. Democrats across the board need to be saying now what we all know, which is that this will bring out the very worst of Trump. Racism and sexism are his brand. Charlottesville is his brand. You can’t just be on the receiving end of this stuff. Trump is about to show the kind of gutter white nationalist and racist pol he is. Force the press and all observers to see this totally predictable move through that prism.

Trump is losing the campaign he wanted to run, the one he and his campaign have spent years planning to run. There’s now going to be a furious race to define Harris first. Of course Trump will go there, and these attacks and those attacks can be very damaging. But Trump the racist bully and gangster is what kills him in the suburbs. It’s what embarrasses people.

Complaining the attacks aren’t fair won’t do it. It needs to cut right at what Trump is. Sure, show us why so many people hate you. Fighting means fighting.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 03:54 pm
An apolitical journalist sums it up:

Michael Tracey
@mtracey

For whatever Biden’s flaws, he did have some legitimate constituencies within the Democratic Party, like organized labor (walked a picket line), whereas Kamala is purely a product of elite “insiders” who engineered this outcome because they love that she can lecture fiercely about abortion, and educate us all about her inspiring identity traits. I don’t even believe that Kamala has as natural a base among Black voters as Biden. That’s why she imploded in the 2020 primaries and the “old white guy” won: because Black voters didn’t support her to nearly the extent eagerly predicted and desired by oblivious pundits
blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 03:55 pm
Media Matters is now, as always, an essential source for the study of right wing media. As they keep verbatim records of what that media system has produced for consumption by US citizens, they are invaluable at a time like this. I won't copy the whole post and file here but definitely take a look for yourself...
The long history of ugly right-wing media attacks against VP Kamala Harris
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 04:05 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
An apolitical journalist sums it up:

Michael Tracey@mtracey

From Tracey's wikipedia page...
Quote:
Political views
Tracey supported Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democratic primaries and advocated "conscious abstention" in the 2016 presidential election. He has been highly critical of Bill and Hillary Clinton. In 2020, he supported Tulsi Gabbard's presidential campaign.[5]

Tracey has been critical of the Democratic Party and of allegations of collusion between Donald Trump and Russia.[3]

In 2019, Tracey criticized an article by Kevin Poulsen in The Daily Beast, which revealed the identity and criminal history of a man who had allegedly created a modified video of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that made her appear drunk.[6]

Definitely matches the definition of "apolitical". Like Lash herself.

As I noted above, what we can expect with certainty is right wing voices now moving to denigrate Harris and to degrade her reputation.
blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 04:34 pm
Quote:
Shayan Sardarizadeh@Shayan86
33m
This digitally-altered image of Kamala Harris posing alongside Jeffrey Epstein is being shared in the wake of Joe Biden's endorsement of her as the new Democratic nominee.

The real image, captured in 2015, shows Harris posing with her husband Douglas Emhoff.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GTCt3XHXEAA3Rf8?format=jpg&name=360x360https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GTCt7x0WMAANnCB?format=jpg&name=small
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 04:57 pm
This was from yesterday's rally in Michigan:
Quote:
Republican Voters Against Trump@AccountableGOP
Jul 20
Donald Trump on President Xi: "He's a brilliant man. He controls 1.4 billion people with an iron fist."

And at the same rally he said:
Quote:
"We have to make it good for our really smart people...Elon Musk gives me 45 million a month"

I watched videos of Trump making both statements.

Make that three video clips from the same rally:
Quote:
Aaron Rupar@atrupar
Jul 20
Replying to @atrupar
Trump on authoritarians: "They're all smart, tough. They love their country ... we have to have somebody that can protect us. And Orban was right: we have to have somebody that can protect us".

Just one or two steps away from an audience of raised arms and passionate shouts of Seig Heil

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 05:10 pm
@blatham,
Bernie Sanders was a champion (we thought) of working people. We desperately needed Medicare for All, a better working wage, stronger unions and additional policies to make life safe and affordable. Hardly right wing. Hillary Clinton was much more right wing than Bernie Sanders, and you are miles more right wing than I *ever* was. George Bush did great damage, but he can’t hold a candle to the horrifying murderous misery Genocide Joe has visited on this world.

Tracey (and I) have also criticized Republicans. We don’t turn a blind eye to the misdeeds and failures of either party but YOU DO. You never criticize members of your party—and it is to your great discredit. It makes your whining and comments null & void. All your accusations are confessions.

Tracey and I are apolitical in that we haven’t sold our souls to a political party as you have. We are seeking *policies* to make our lives and the lives of the majority of working people in this country better. Worth living.

You’ve just cheered and gaslighted and obfuscated the world straight to hell.
Congrats.
What did you win?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 05:49 pm
If we are to treat the 2024 election cycle as a TV show (and at this point, it is), then the recent episodes have been nuts:

*The attempted assassination was a boon for ratings but fans didn't care that it was yet another white loner.
*The whole Hunter Biden laptop subplot was all for nothing.
*The showrunners really did wait until after GOP Comic Con to announce Biden dropping out. Gotta sell those Lets Go Brandon merchandise while they can!
*Fans complaining that the show has gone "woke" by replacing the white old guy with a woman of color.

What other plot twists await us? A secret family? Clone replacements? We will find out soon enough!
blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 06:11 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I like that, Reb
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 09:09 pm
Quote:
Amy Siskind 🏳️‍🌈@Amy_Siskind
48s
UPDATED: Democrats have donated more than $50 million online to Harris so far today, making it the single biggest day for online Democratic contributions since the 2020 election, with hours to go on the West Coast!!!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 11:45 pm
My favourite tweet so far about Biden pulling out:

Quote:
Karen DaltonBeninato
@kbeninato

An interesting side note in all of this is that the Supreme Court has given total immunity to a guy with six months left to serve and no fucks left to give.
blatham

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 04:21 am
@hingehead,
Here's another tweet from yesterday. From the jackass who's giving Trump 45 million dollars every month. Not in the category of "favorite". He's clearly proud of his anti-Semitism.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GTC1SMhX0AAJCnC?format=png&name=900x900

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 04:55 am
Quote:
“My Fellow Americans,

“Over the past three and a half years, we have made great progress as a Nation.

“Today, America has the strongest economy in the world. We’ve made historic investments in rebuilding our Nation, in lowering prescription drug costs for seniors, and in expanding affordable health care to a record number of Americans. We’ve provided critically needed care to a million veterans exposed to toxic substances. Passed the first gun safety law in 30 years.

Appointed the first African American woman to the Supreme Court. And passed the most significant climate legislation in the history of the world. America has never been better positioned to lead than we are today.

“I know none of this could have been done without you, the American people. Together, we overcame a once in a century pandemic and the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. We’ve protected and preserved our Democracy. And we’ve revitalized and strengthened our alliances around the world.

“It has been the greatest honor of my life to serve as your President. And while it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as President for the remainder of my term.

“I will speak to the Nation later this week in more detail about my decision.

“For now, let me express my deepest gratitude to all those who have worked so hard to see me reelected. I want to thank Vice President Kamala Harris for being an extraordinary partner in all this work. And let me express my heartfelt appreciation to the American people for the faith and trust you have placed in me.

“I believe today what I always have: that there is nothing America can’t do—when we do it together. We just have to remember we are the United States of America.”

With this letter, posted on X this afternoon, President Joe Biden announced he would not accept the Democratic nomination for president. So ended the storyline begun after the event on June 27, when Biden appeared unable to respond effectively to Trump’s verbal assaults. Since then, there has been a drumbeat of media stories and some demands from Democratic lawmakers and donors calling for Biden to step aside and refuse to run for a second term. Increasingly, that drumbeat imperiled his reelection, opening the way for Trump’s election to install a dictatorship of Christian nationalism.

In another post shortly after the first, Biden endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris for the presidential nomination, writing: “My fellow Democrats, I have decided not to accept the nomination and to focus all my energies on my duties as President for the remainder of my term. My very first decision as the party nominee in 2020 was to pick Kamala Harris as my Vice President. And it’s been the best decision I’ve made. Today I want to offer my full support and endorsement for Kamala to be the nominee of our party this year. Democrats—it’s time to come together and beat Trump. Let’s do this.”

Harris smoothly took the baton. “On behalf of the American people, I thank Joe Biden for his extraordinary leadership as President of the United States and for his decades of service to our country,” she wrote. “His remarkable legacy of accomplishment is unmatched in modern American history, surpassing the legacy of many Presidents who have served two terms in office.

“It is a profound honor to serve as his Vice President, and I am deeply grateful to the President, Dr. Biden, and the entire Biden family. I first came to know President Biden through his son Beau. We were friends from our days working together as Attorneys General of our home states. As we worked together, Beau would tell me stories about his Dad. The kind of father—and the kind of man—he was. And the qualities Beau revered in his father are the same qualities, the same values, I have seen every single day in Joe’s leadership as President: His honesty and integrity. His big heart and commitment to his faith and his family. And his love of our country and the American people.

“With this selfless and patriotic act, President Biden is doing what he has done throughout his life of service: putting the American people and our country above everything else.

“I am honored to have the President’s endorsement and my intention is to earn and win this nomination. Over the past year, I have traveled across the country, talking with Americans about the clear choice in this momentous election. And that is what I will continue to do in the days and weeks ahead. I will do everything in my power to unite the Democratic Party—and unite our nation—to defeat Donald Trump and his extreme Project 2025 agenda.

“We have 107 days until Election Day. Together, we will fight. And together, we will win.”

Biden’s announcement ended the month of suspense under which the Democrats have lived, and in the hours since, they appear to be coalescing around Harris with enthusiasm. Those who might have challenged her nomination have stepped up to support her: California governor Gavin Newsom, Pennsylvania governor Josh Shapiro, North Carolina governor Roy Cooper, and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg all backed Harris; Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer said she does not intend to challenge Harris. By tonight, all of the state Democratic Party chairs were on board with Harris. Endorsements continued to pour in.

So did money. Following Biden’s endorsement of Harris, donors contributed more than $46.7 million to Democratic races before 9:00 p.m., and major donors, who had paused donations to Biden, have said they will contribute to Harris’s campaign. The Biden-Harris team also managed the paperwork to transfer the $95 million in Biden’s campaign coffers to Harris because the money was raised for the ticket, rather than for Biden alone.

But party rules say that Biden cannot pass his delegates to another candidate, so Harris will have to cement them on her own, as well as the superdelegates, a group of party leaders and former elected officials whose votes carry weight in the convention. As of 10 p.m. on Sunday, she had won 531 of the 1,986 delegates necessary to win the nomination.

Biden’s decision has left the Republicans in deep trouble, and they are illustrating their dilemma with high-pitched anger that the ticket of their opponents has changed and by insisting that if Biden is not fit for another four-year term he must resign the presidency immediately. House speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) has said he will sue to try to keep Biden in the race; Democratic election litigator Marc Elias responded that “if your lawyers are telling you that they can prevent the D[emocratic] N[ational] C[ommittee] from nominating its candidate of choice, they are idiots. I know a lot about that, since I beat them more than 60x in court after the 2020 election.”

Trump, meanwhile, has posted seven times about Biden since he dropped out of the race. He has ignored Harris.

The Republicans’ anger reflects that fact that if Biden is off the ticket, they are in yet another pickle. Just last week, the Republicans nominated Donald Trump, who is 78, for president. Having made age their central complaint about Biden, they are now faced with having nominated the oldest candidate in U.S. history, who repeatedly fell asleep at his own nominating convention as well as his criminal trial, who often fumbles words, and who cannot seem to keep a coherent train of thought. Democrats immediately pounced on Trump with all the comments Republicans had been making about Biden. Republicans have already suggested that Trump will not debate Harris, a former prosecutor.

With 39-year-old Ohio senator J.D. Vance now their vice presidential nominee, it will be tempting for Republicans to push Trump out of the presidential slot. But aside from the fury that would evoke from Trump loyalists, it would further alienate women from the Republican ticket. Republicans were already losing voters over their overturning of the Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that recognized the constitutional right to abortion, so many that Trump has recently tried to sound as if he is moderating his stance on abortion and to appeal to women in other ways. Just this weekend at a rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Trump appeared to be courting suburban women by promising to “stop the plunder, rape, slaughter and destruction of our American suburbs and cities” he implied had taken place under Biden. (In fact, violent crime has decreased significantly since 2020.)

Vance is an extremist who supports a national abortion ban, has said he does not believe in exceptions for rape or incest in abortion bans, and has praised women who stay in abusive marriages.

Biden’s decision not to accept the Democratic presidential nomination has created yet another conspicuous contrast with Trump. Thanks for a job well done and praise for his statesmanship have been pouring out ever since Biden made his announcement—indeed, they have apparently convinced some people that he has stepped down from the job altogether, while in fact he will remain the president for another six months.

Among others, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin called Biden “an extraordinary guardian of America’s national security,” thanked him for his leadership and statesmanship, and called him “one of our great foreign-policy presidents.” President Lyndon B. Johnson’s daughters called him “a patriot without peer” and said, “we love you and thank you for your selfless service to all who love democracy, social justice and the rule of law.”

For all the accolades, though, it is likely that the one the family-oriented president values most came from his son Hunter, whom the Republicans hammered for years as a proxy for his father.

“For my entire life, I’ve looked at my dad in awe,” the younger Biden wrote. “How could he suffer so much heartache and yet give so much of whatever remained of his heart to others? Not only in the policies he passed, but in the individual lives he’s touched…. That unconditional love has been his North Star as a President, and as a parent. He is unique in public life today in that there is no distance between Joe Biden the man and Joe Biden the public servant of the last 54 years. I’m so lucky every night I get to tell him I love him, and to thank him. I ask all Americans to join me tonight in doing the same.”

In a time of dictators, Trump tried to overthrow the results of the 2020 presidential election and install himself in power against the wishes of the people. President Joe Biden voluntarily turned away from reelection in order to give the people a better shot at preserving our democracy.

He demonstrated what it means to put the country first.

hcr
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 05:06 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

We desperately needed Medicare for All,

When NHS doctors went out on strike you pointed out this was proof UHC didn't work.

The reality is that the NHS is one of the most efficient health care services in the world, the problem was drastic underfunding by the Tories.

You weren't that bothered about UHC then. (I don't know what "Medicaire" is, I assume it's the same as UHC.)

It's a perjorative word, it implies UHC is a gift from the government and not a human right.

Btw, you are not apolitical at all, and I have no idea who Tracey is.

You engage in far right conspiracy theories and quote mine to support a narrative which is political to the max.
0 Replies